Magisterial Election

Poll ends 11/2/07.

Are public referendums open to every member of the forum? I thought it was only magisters.

— Begin quote from ____

Are public referendums open to every member of the forum? I thought it was only magisters.

— End quote

Aside from the fact that these are public referendums, in this case in particular, Chapter 1, Section 2, Subsection 5 of the Charter of the East Pacific states:

— Begin quote from ____

5.      Membership of the Assembly shall be eligible to all Ratified Nations of the East Pacific, who shall signal their desire to join by formal announcement, and who must then be seconded by another ratified nation, and finally must be approved by popular vote of the Ratified Nations.

— End quote

Therefore, citizens (not just those citizens who are magisters) are eligible to vote. Members of this forum who are not citizens are ineligible to vote, and the settings for each member group maintain that policy.

Speaking of which… why don’t we slightly change things, using OPEN votes, instead of anonymous polls? I think it would be a bit fairer.

And… a second wondering. Dalimbar has ratified the Charter, but has he still got a nation in TEP? I mean: Drinnon, the nation he has used once, is now in TWP.

— Begin quote from ____

Speaking of which… why don’t we slightly change things, using OPEN votes, instead of anonymous polls? I think it would be a bit fairer.

And… a second wondering. Dalimbar has ratified the Charter, but has he still got a nation in TEP? I mean: Drinnon, the nation he has used once, is now in TWP.

— End quote

We’ve always done anonymous polls for these votes. And how is it any less fair? Only citizens can vote, or members in other categories with the “Citizen” permissions mask, can vote. And, they can only vote once. The system remembers who has already voted.

Yes, Dalimbar has a nation in the East Pacific. His citizenship transfered to that nation. He’s had a nation in this region since before he announced his candidacy for Magister.

Guys, I don’t guess I see what the big deal is, here. Why are you all of a sudden picking on Dalimbar? …because of what happened in the North Pacific? Why then would you not be fair and do the same to alienate Emperor Matthuis? I mean, wouldn’t that be the “fair” thing to do?

No, I don’t think it’s right. But that’s what it seems like is happening, here. And I’m not going to chastise Emperor Matthuis or Dalimbar for these things. They’ve not done anything against us – the region, government and people of the East Pacific.

Oh… uhm, sorry. I didn’t mean any fuss.

About the “has dalimbar a nation” thing, i was just curious, because i had seen his nation had moved away.

About the “let’s make votes public”, it was completely Dalimbar-unrelated. I honestly do not care AT ALL about what has happened in TNP. I had doubts about Dali… and I’ve solved it talking with both you and Dovakhan. And with “solved” I do not mean “solved via PM but then I’ll sabotage dali’s election questioning its legitimacy”. i mean “solved”.

So, mine weren’t insinuations against dali. nor the first one nor the second one.

Answering your question, Gnidrah, i understand “we’ve always done things like that”. but i do not think that’s a good reason not to DISCUSS about the possibility to change (even if i realize this wasn’t probably the right thread to post… but then, i sincerely hope we’ll not become THAT bureaucratic to have someone doing nothing else but checking if posts are in the right place, as it happens somewhere else).

Finally, about the “how is it any less fair”, i know there is no way to cheat. that wasn’t my point. my point was simply: according to my (limited) experience in NS, “open” votes tend to make things more clear between members. nobody goes around wondering “i wish i know those who have voted AGAINST and i wish to thank who has voted FOR”.

That’s it. no “someone is cheating” fear. Nor any “let’s kick out TNP dictators” issue.

Oh… just a sidenote. I do consider myself fair. The same doubts I’ve had with Dalimbar, i’ve had with Emperor Matthuis, as someone could testify. after having thought about them, however, i’ve come to your same conclusion: “if they’ve done something wrong to TNP, that’s a TNP issue”. hadn’t i reached such final decision, be sure i would have brought it en plein air, with no need to make unspoken suggestions.

To confirm what the Delegate stated above, as well to hopefully please the electorate, I’ll be pleased to provide links to my two (2) nations that I have in the region. Chodean Kal is my UN nation and Dalimbar is my “main” nation, obviously.

http://www.nationstates.net/chodean_kal
http://www.nationstates.net/dalimbar

Well, Reziel, my friend: I apologize. I didn’t mean to raise Cain. But I guess it was just the timing and apparent coincidence of it all the led me to feel as though I needed to step in and face the issues at-hand.

— Begin quote from ____

Well, Reziel, my friend: I apologize. I didn’t mean to raise Cain. But I guess it was just the timing and apparent coincidence of it all the led me to feel as though I needed to step in and face the issues at-hand.

— End quote

(smiles) no offence was meant since the beginning, so no offence is taken because of your reactions, my friend.

misunderstandings happen, don’t they? (winks)

but now… enough of this. poor dalimbar: he comes here and he finds his own thread full of fuss-making people. not fair, not fair! :lol:

Don’t worry, after playing this game like I have, this is sort of mild. :stuck_out_tongue: To be honest, it is a nice thing to see, such concern for the process and even the applicant.

Returns to the background, and waits patiently.

— Begin quote from ____

We’ve always done anonymous polls for these votes. And how is it any less fair? Only citizens can vote, or members in other categories with the “Citizen” permissions mask, can vote. And, they can only vote once. The system remembers who has already voted.

Yes, Dalimbar has a nation in the East Pacific. His citizenship transfered to that nation. He’s had a nation in this region since before he announced his candidacy for Magister.

Guys, I don’t guess I see what the big deal is, here. Why are you all of a sudden picking on Dalimbar? …because of what happened in the North Pacific? Why then would you not be fair and do the same to alienate Emperor Matthuis? I mean, wouldn’t that be the “fair” thing to do?

No, I don’t think it’s right. But that’s what it seems like is happening, here. And I’m not going to chastise Emperor Matthuis or Dalimbar for these things. They’ve not done anything against us – the region, government and people of the East Pacific.

— End quote

I am perfectly in my rights to question the voting procedures.

Anyway, Dalimbar seems to have been elected; congratulations to him.

— Begin quote from ____

I am perfectly in my rights to question the voting procedures.

— End quote

I never said you weren’t…

Poll Closed. Final Vote: 6-1-2.

Dalimbar’s application has been endorsed.