Medieval Vulshain 1234 AD

OOC: While this forum says 1000 AD, this one takes place in the 13th century AD. This one talks about the ancestor of current Vulshainian King Samuil Rainard, King Jorkett Karabe VI who ended the Wars of the Feuding Cities, where Vulshite Noble Houses, Merchant Princes, and Trading Guilds forged and broke alliances as they struggled against one another for power, prestige, and fortune. You might notice some Arthurian characteristics. That’s because I have enjoyed the legends of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table ever since I was a young boy. However, there will be some differences here. Now, Todd has stated that Vulpines didn’t wear suits of armor, but in Vulshain, they did, although, they prefered to use chain mail Hauberks, although the stronger Vulpines did wear full plate armors.

And no, I’m not going to use ‘armour’.

Oh and Todd, you can use Vulshite here.

IC:

August 14th, 1234 AD

Vulshite City-State Kingdom of Velra

City of Castle Velra

As the morning sun rose, signaling the start of a new day, people were starting to get ready to begin this new day.

Vulpines, Lobos, and humans were all moving about Velra. Merchants, serfs, knights, mercenaries, beggars, priests, bards, peasants, scholars, laborers, pagan fortune-tellers, and nobles moved about the city of Velra, in the shadow of Castle Velra. Ancient pagan temples still stood as symbols of the people’s past and culture. They were decreed to be preserved by the kings and queens of the past as great monuments to serve the purpose of telling the people of their ancestors’ world. Now, only a few remaining pagans and historians maintained the ancient temples. The main two places of worship were the Vayan Catholic Cathedral of the Brave Lady dedicated to Saint Aiya and Laiatan Protestant Church of the Forest. The Church of the Forest was not only a holy place, but also the final resting place of Erigian Nelerusy, the priest who brought Laiatan Protestantism to Vulshain from Southern Yugoslavia. These places, however, were holy to Vulpines and Lobos.

Humans were either Russian Orthodox Christians, and practiced the Christian faith at the Church of Saintly Light, or Lutheran Protestants who attended service at the Church of Heaven’s Sun.

Everyone was up and about. Well, almost everyone…

In the royal bedroom, the sun’s rays shone through the curtained window of the lord of the castle, Prince Jorkett Karabe VI. He was snoring soundly. That is until the light of the sun struck him on the face. Groaning, he rolled over onto his stomach, pulling the covers over himself, and placed a large pillow on his covered head.

A female human servant, Iona Kirstie Tatiana, came in and pulled the curtains back, flooding the room with sunlight. Her lord groaned and mumbled in both Unonian and Lobonese. “In the names of Saint Aiya, the Den Mother, and Saint Emir! Please close those curtains, Iona!”

Shaking her head, and mumbling in Scottish Gaelic, Iona simply ignored her Lobo Prince’s command and began to open the rest of the windows. The more sunlight let in, the grumpier the prince got, until finally, he let out an angry growl as he shot up in his bed, his bloodshot and sleepy golden eyes filled with grumpy anger and annoyance. He stood on his bed, glaring at his servant, and pointed at her, saying, “Woman! I gave you a command, and I expect you–” He stopped scolding her when he saw her gasp in shock as she covered her face in her hands. He quickly looked down and realized that he had just exposed his naked, furry body to her. He immediately covered himself with his tail. His fur was black with snow-white streaks on his chest, arms, and lower legs, while the bottom of his tail was reddish-brown. A blaze of snow-white fur covered the right side of his face and muzzle.

“My lord…you…you’re…nak…”

“OUT!”

Iona quickly shrieked and ran out of the room, slamming the door behind her. Groaning and cursing under his breath in Russian, he got off his bed and started to get dressed.

He was bored out of his wits. This was cruel and unusual torture! He kept trying to stay awake as the Earl of Delberg talked about recent skirmishes with the eastern neighboring City-State Kingdom of Kinicata and a trade dispute by the Noble Merchant Lords and Ladies of North Western Chacalia, as well as an increase in tariffs by the House Queen of North-Eastern Chacalia.

He wore his crown on his head. It was a silver circlet topped by one Maltese cross and one fleurs-de-lis. It bore 2 half-arches, which formed one arch, and was set with blue sapphires, cat’s eyes, and amethysts. It had been worn by his grandfather when he was a prince. Before him, his father, and so on, well, except for Jorkett’s great-great-great-grand-aunt, of course, she was odd, especially her liking of sleeping with other women, usually two at once, but she was a good woman, despite her open homosexuality.

Jorkett had done his best to surpress a yawn, but failed. His fang-filled muzzle opened wide and he yawned. The fat human Earl of Delberg huffed and puffed at the slight against him. The chamberlain, human, standing next to the king, nudged the prince and cleared his throat to get his lord’s attention.

Shaking his head, he saw the Earl’s red and flustered face. “Uh…my apologizes Earl Rodrigo Jonathan of Delberg. I am not a morning person, I am afraid.”

Wiggling his big mustache, the Earl’s face became even redder as he huffed and puffed, before mumbling something. He spun around and stormed towards the exit.

Just then, the prince’s mother, Queen Feruca came in.

The Earl said something to her, politely bowed and excused himself as he left. His mother returned his bow and waved him away. After he left, she spun around and snarled at her son.

“Uh-oh, your mother isn’t pleased,” the Chamberlain said. “Um…I think I shall leave for a moment.”
Jorkett cursed under his breath as his Chamberlain abandoned him to the wrath of his mother.

“Good morning mother! You’re–” He never got to finish his compliment as a quick snarl and growl silenced him. Her nose was a hair’s length from his forehead as he sank into his throne.

“Jorkett,” she growled. “I thought I raised you better than this.”

“Mother, I don’t–”

“SILENCE!”

“Yes, momma.” He was trembling in his throne now. She was angry. Actually, angry wasn’t the correct word to use. Enraged better describes her temperment right now.

“Your father, despite the short time he was with us St. Aiya and Saint Emir both bless his soul, and I raised you to use proper manners. If you are to one day sit upon your father’s throne, and inherit the title of King of the City-State of Velra, you BETTER ACT LIKE A KING AND MEAN IT!” Her enraged scolding echoed throughout the castle and into the city below. Everyone looked towards the castle, the source of the yelling. Everyone immediately went back to what they were doing before.

Jorkett had slid down into the throne, panting with fear. He was almost out of the chair, as his mother’s muzzle was just inches from his face.

“Y-yes mom–momma,” he stuttered. She was boiling mad, her tail just wagging wildly with rage.

“Now, you better wake your tailed arse up, and act like the king you’re going to be, because I’m not going to step down for a lazy pup of mine to let this kingdom go into the guttler!”

She glared at her son one last time before storming out.

Jorkett just looked on in stunned silence. The silence was finally broken when Jorkett said, “I think I need a bath.” He gagged when he sniffed himself.

Vulshite City-State Archduchy of Konxam

City of Kitumang

The armored Vulpine rode on horseback, her face covered by a visor as she held her lance. Her targets: six rings hanging from posts. She rode towards the first ring.

Cling! The ring slipped through the lance. Cling, went the second.

Cling, cling! Only two were left. These two were the most difficult, as she had to duck upon getting the fifth ring, as removing it triggered a sandbag swinging toward her as she aimed for the sixth.

Cling!

She had gotten all six rings. She held up her lance, with all six rings on it. Her father, Archduke Harivere Nebisaselari clapped his hands proudly at her. “Bravo, bravo! Bravo, Kitsuniva! You have gotten better today. Now, get out of that heavy armor. You are probably exhausted.”

Kitsuniva lifted her visor up. She was panting. She trotted the horse towards him, although, panting she was beaming with pride. “Thank you father,” she said. “I can understand why our Vekaiyun cousins do not like to wear plated armor. It can get very tiring after awhile.” Her muzzle bumped her bevor, causing to say, “Ouch! Not to mention, their muzzles don’t keep hitting a bevor.” Her father chuckled.

“Come now, Kitsuniva, and get ready. We are expecting a visit from the Duke of Earlville. And please, dear, don’t sing that song you sang when he visited last time.”

“What song, father,” she said mishievously.

“You know the one that goes, 'Duke of Earlville, Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earlville. Oh trees! Now you got me singing it!”

The Grand Princess giggled as her father laughed. A servant helped steady her horse as she dismounted.

In a few hours, she had bathed and dressed in a satin silk royal gown. She sat between her father and mother, Archduchess Hyacinthe, as they listened to the Duke of Earlville’s report on grain production, as both the Grand Princess and Archduke did their best to not hum or sing that song.

They succeeded but by the skin of their fangs.

OOC: Okay, well that’s it. Now, I must run before Todd scolds me for putting Vulpines in armor.

Imperial Kingdom of Garibarlon

“All hail Imperial King Claudius Viridian, lord of the Kingdom of Garibarlon!”

Knights and soldiers bearing the symbol of the House of Viridian, the two-headed Red Wyvern, saluted a human wearing gold and black armor. The crown was designed with a base, with four cross pattées alternating with four fleurs-de-lis, within which was a velvet cap with ermine border, and two arches above and surmounted by a cross, all set with 500 precious stones. He wore a bright red cape, edged with ermine borders. He walked towards his golden throne and sat in it.

“So, Sir Glarorgur, how goes my realm?”

A large human knight wearing silver armor bowed before his liege and stated, “My Liege, your Realm is doing quite well. While the nobles and house monarchs believe that they are in control, they know full well that they are allowed to rule only by your permission. They know that should they displease you, you can strip them of their powers with a simple wave of your hand, or the mere swing of your sword.”

Smiling, King Viridian nodded. “Tell me, is there not a Tournament to be held soon?”

“Yes, your Majesty,” Sir Glarorgur answered. “It is to be held in Velra City.”

Laughing, King Viridian said, “I’m surprised that the people of that kingdom have not revolted, since their queen had the gaul to let herself to be humped like a bitch in heat by a vagabond knight!”

His knights and soldiers muttered and one of them cursed under his breath. Vagabond knights were wandering knights without a master, travelling in search of employment and often attended jousts to make money and display their prowess in hopes of being hired. They were not of noble birth, but were peasants and serfs who were bestowed with knighthood during times of crisis, or when another knight or noble believed that a commoner deserved to be called a knight because they had shown bravery or performed a great feat.

They were undisciplined in battle and were little better than mercenaries.

However, vagabond knights were still disrespected and disliked by other knights and nobles, mainly because of their being from common blood. It was highly unusual and unheard of for a member of royalty to fall in love with a vagabond knight and take him as her king.

“Too bad, he died in that bandit attack,” the king said. While King Viridian had nothing to do with the Velran King’s demise, he still was glad that the upstart was dead. A commoner pretending to be a royal made his skin crawl. “Send a messager to the Queen of Velra to let her know that my knights will attend the Tournament.”

Sir Glarorgur bowed and went off to send the messager.

OOC: Garibarlon is made up of present day Ibius, Amacul, Muramou, and Chinine. Actually those provinces existed during this time period as well, but they were controlled by Garibarlon, their leaders nothing more than mere puppets.

Common blood is referring to being not of noble or royal birth.

OOC: Now, I know that in RL, full plate armor wasn’t fully developed until the 14th and 15th centuries, but Vulpines and Lobos are smart, so they could develop full plate armor earlier than humans could. So, praise and credit goes to Todd and Southern Yugoslavia for making such wonderful and brilliant people! I also apologize to everyone for posting one after another, but I’m just keeping this rolling until someone like Todd, Southern Yugoslavia, or Raedion-Lucari join in.

So, back to your regularly scheduled IC! :wink:

IC:

Queen Feruca was surprised when she received the Garibarlonian knight delivered his message that Imperial King Claudius Viridian stated that his knights would take part in the Tournament that would be held in Velra. The Velran Queen wore a low cut white and blue gown, that left her shoulders bare, and was decorated with swirls and spirals of tiny rubies at the bodice and the ends of the wide sleeves. She also wore a golden choker, a woven belt studded with gemstones, a hairnet with moonstones, and snakeskin sandals that laced up to her thighs. She never did liked the Garibarloinians, especially after a drunken Garibarlonian soldier tried to rape her in her own castle. She felt a chill run up her spine at the mere rememberance of that terrible event.

She acknowledged the acceptance of the Garibarlonian king, but told the messager to remind his lord that there better not be a repeat of what happened several years ago. The knight nodded and left.

Jorkett was busy in the city as his heightened canine hearing picked up the whispers of his subjects.

“Is that the prince?”

“I think so.”

“I can’t believe that the Queen would marry a commoner, much less a vagabond knight!”

“Almighty forbid that he becomes our next ruler!”

“I agree. He is a half-blood.”

“Well, there are a lot of half-bloods these days.”

“Bah! All of these half-bloods are a stain on our society!”

“Hush! I think he heard you!”

Jorkett turned around, and saw those who were talking about him behind his back.

He sighed and went back to the castle. He hoped that maybe winning the Tournament would get people to accept him more.

OOC: A half-blood is someone who is the child of a commoner and a noble. Basically, half-bloods are discriminated by both commoners and nobles as they represent an insult towards feudal society.

August 14th, 1234 AD

Vulshite City-State Kingdom of Velra

City of Castle Velra

Jorkett was wearing a suit of plate armor with chain mail underneath it. He was riding a magificent black stallion. He wore a specially designed armet that was made to fit over his muzzle. It had a crown on top of it, with ventilation decorations in the shape of crosses. Jorkett hit the target with ease with his lance. He had been practicing for days, training with the lance, sword, shield, and mace. He was skilled with all three, but he had to train harder. He was pushing himself to his limits. His body ached and was bruised all over. Still, he pushed on. The last thing he remembered was the world starting to spin, and then blackness.

Suddenly, he awoke in his room. “How did I get here?”

His mother smiled at him, a look of worry slowly fading from her face. She wore a white and red trimmed gown, lined with silvery satin. It had long sleeves and the bodice was slashed almost to the belly, the deep V covered over with a panel of ornate dove-grey lace. “Hush now, son.” She placed a damp cloth on his head. “The servants told me that you collapsed from exhaustion while you were training.”

“I must–argh!” He growled as pain shot through his body.

“Don’t move, Jorkett. The healers said that you have stressed your body a great deal. You must rest for awhile until you have recovered.”

“I have to continue training for the Tournament.”

“No, you will not,” the queen answered.

“But–”

“No buts. You have trained enough for the Tournament. You have to rest now, son.”

“Yes, mother.” The young Lobo prince sighed as he drifted to sleep in order to rest his battered body.