Narvga

Montza, Principality of Kormistazm, August 1955

After just over a month of waiting, the day of judgement had come. Picking the official-looking letter up off of the counter, he tensed for a moment, feeling the smooth paper nervously below his fingertips, before returning to the mixed kitchen and dining room. Tentatively and carefully, he tore the envelope open, his heart beating rapidly with fear and anticipation. Within, he saw the official coat of arms -Barque City University- and below it, to his immeasurable relief, he spotted the words he had been dreaming to see printed before him.

”Dear Mr Kiet Narvga,

After reviewing the results in your final examinations, we are glad to inform you your application for the study of medical science at Barque University has been accepted.

The letter continued on with an exhaustive list of dates and details, though he couldn’t contain himself, and a giddy grin had planted itself firmly on the 18 year old Kiets’ face, his father booming with laughter once he saw it.

“Guess that means you got in?” he said, smiling over two plates of steaming pasta drizzled with meaty tomato sauce and garlic.

“Yep!” Kiet replied. “Medical Science too.”

“I knew you would get in no problem! If Barque is anywhere as good as it was when I was a student you’ll love it there. When do you start?”

“It says…” He squinted at the paper. “The first term starts off on the 26th September.”

“Brilliant, that means you’ll have a week to spend with your mum home before you leave.” Kiets father sighed, dishing the food over to his son. “Though I do have to say, she does say Barque has become a little… stricter over the years.”

“More protests?” Kiet inquired.

His father nodded. “My advice, don’t get yourself in trouble whilst you’re studying there, and don’t mix with the wrong people, okay? They’ll throw you in a jail cell or interrogate you if you get caught with suspected activists.”

“What! How is that legal? That’s got to be a violation of human rights, and if it isn’t, it should be!”

“It doesn’t matter,” He said, sounding as calmly and fatherly as physically possible. “I don’t care what your mother might tell you, but she’s been incredibly lucky on her ‘outings’ with the front across the country. It’s taken me many an argument to convince her to finally settle down after this last one, and I don’t want you getting any ideas.”

There was a tense pause, before Keits father sighed again and composed himself.

“I’m sorry Keit, its just I worry about your mother so much, I don’t think I could handle the stress if you went down the same path, as noble as it may be. So please trust me when I say it’s dangerous out there, and you should be careful, please son?”

“I will father, I swear.”

“Alright, now that’s out of the way, I’ll tell you some of my best stories from my time at Barque over dinner. I’ll try remembering some I haven’t told you before, but to sum it all up, you’re going to enjoy every second of it, I can feel it already.”