New Map Notes

As you’ve probably noticed, the graphical premise of our map is those ludicrously expensive lapis-lazuli and precious-stone globes you sometimes see in knicknack magazines and jewelry stores. It’s a bit different, and it’s a lot better in the zoomed-in shots, but overall I hope you like it.

As you can see, I’ve done away with the “Asia” look. The eternal question of whether it was actually supposed to be Asia kept being a problem. The general shape is there, but the obvious reference is not. The rest of these notes are only relevant if you’re…

Kelssek - the shape of your country is based on http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=5571 and not its shape on the old map. Your nation is probably a bit smaller relative to the others than it used to be, because it was the very first thing I drew and I didn’t have perspective to compare it to.

Warr - I didn’t really come up with a map territory with you in mind, because I didn’t think you’d be coming back. However, there are several archipelagoes out west that are probably close to what you wanted.

Anyone from the Empire reading this - If it seems odd that I had a map prepared to pull out at the moment of your departure, this was originally intended to be an Imperial Map Project, worked out in tandem with Lady Edea. I had seperate map rules for Imperial and Independent nations and other stuff like that. But then all that drama happened and Edea left and the chances of getting two communities to cooperate on one map went down the hole, so I’ve been sitting on it until now. Feel free to request a plot if you want to RP.

Infinite Loop - Plot 85 is supposed to be your nation. I’ve altered the angle of IL relative to the main continent, so you’re now part of the East Pacific Ring of Fire thing we’ve got going.

Packilvania - With the distortion of the Asia map, your nation is longer and narrower and less bulgy. You still have all the player-nation borders you had before.

Hats - You’ve got zebras!

Lazlow - Plot 64 is supposed to be your nation, but if you ever wanted to spring for a larger territory instead, now’s the time.

Why, thank you!

I quite like the new look. At least it gives me an idea for internal furnishings of a future RP character…:smiley:

For the record, this map is being done in http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2704278. It’s a bit different from most things used as map tools in that it’s “modeled” and not “drawn”. That is, I’m not drawing lines, I’m putting chunks of whatever material makes up pieces of the map into place. It’s surprisingly convenient for this sort of thing.

What happened to the old map and why isn’t Kelssek doing it? :frowning: :ph43r:

I would appreciate if someone please answered my question instead of RUDELY deleting my posts. That was completely uncalled for without valid explanation <_<.

PLease kindly answer my question and stop deleting my posts! :ph43r:

When you do not receive a reply to a question, wait for an answer, or (if you think someone has not seen your post) PM that person. Do not spam up the forum by repeating the same question. I’ve cleared out the double-posts.

There are several reasons why the map has been replaced. I’ll go through them in no real order:

• A very large proportion of spaces in the old map were tiny inland plots. These were extremely undesirable for anyone wishing to make a claim. All of the desirable (large, islands and/or oceanfront) plots had long since been taken up by older nations. I wanted a map in which the vast majority of available plots had traits that make them desirable. This required reshaping the (unused) northwest corner of the region, adding a lot more islands, and adding more landmasses out east. It also involved carving up the unclaimed space into larger, more palatable plots.

• The old map’s exact semblance to Asia was a stumbling block to RP. It has been made clear in the course of the EP’s RP history that the EP is not Asia, but the map resemblance meant the question never really went away. I’ve distorted the shape and size of the old parts of the map to get rid of all but a superficial likeness to Asia while leaving relative locations, sizes and borders largely intact.

• I felt that the map should be an RP map, reflecting where nations are in the region for RP purposes. It should not be a mark of regional status, but simply a way to show where one’s nation is in RP. For this reason, the map claiming system and number of plots have become more tied to RP. Rather than claiming additional plots based on nation size at regular intervals, nations must now RP the events that led up to them gaining land if they wish to gain land. In addition, only nations that RP in some way will retain their land in the long term. If a nation isn’t part of the RP universe, it won’t stay on the map, for the map is a map of the RP universe.

It’s not spam. I waited for at least two days in this thread before posting here. I’m sorry if I seemed a bit impatient, but I was only trying to figure out what happened, not spammming up anything.

Could the warning please be removed? :ph43r:

Just so you all know, everywhere as far as Warr and Drakkengard are suddenly within longboat range. Just throw mead at them until they go away.

— Begin quote from ____

Just so you all know, everywhere as far as Warr and Drakkengard are suddenly within longboat range. Just throw mead at them until they go away.

— End quote

Warre and Terasu are, but Drakkengard would have a strong problem getting there, through many other nations. (Assuming you mean to Really Nice Hats).

I personally prefer the new map, particularly the new rules not relying on population, that was a huge stumbling block, I think.

A boatload of determined Norsemen can get almost anywhere.

Should we put some official names to these oceans?

I don’t think so. I doubt our nations could agree which one is named what, anyways.

— Begin quote from ____

Should we put some official names to these oceans?

— End quote

I’m open to suggestions, but Warr has a point. If they exist they should be fairly neutral.

Suggestions:

“The Great Circle” for the…well, giant circle.

The “Capital Sea” for the area ringed by 1IL, Christie Island, Lazlowia, and Emperor Matthius.

The “Pacific Ocean” for alll the outer water areas.

The “East Sea” for the water body bordered by Bai Lung, Dann, EM, FPS, Dovakhan, and Pack.

The “West Sea” for the water ringed by FPS, EM, Xiopothos, the Capital District, and Lazlowia.

The “North Sea” for the water body surrounded by Warr, Bai Lung Dalu, Vekaiyu, and the big island with Terasu on it.

I still don’t think it’ll be seen in much use by anyone. Particularly the North Sea, I doubt Warre, Terasu, Bai Lung, and Vekaiyu would agree on the name of the sea or the bodies of water around. Particularly true of the former three.

— Begin quote from ____

The “Capital Sea”

— End quote

Yes, definitely.

I don’t really refer to the waters really except for local territorial waters, such as the “North Dannistrian Sea”, “South Dannistrian Sea”, etc for the areas of the ocean immediately surrounding Dannistaan…

I’d prefer the “Blood Gulf” for my little bay area.

I’ll give my immediate bodies of H20 names sooner or later but I wouldn’t have them placed on the big mappymap because well it’d be cluttered around me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe for the oceans just have generalized names and IC have different names for them locally. shrugs just a thought.

I still think that the names should be RP only, not on the map, because few nations would agree to which body of water was what.