New Map Rules, draft

Here’s a draft I wrote up for the new map rules, subject to change of course. I’d like to hear your thoughts on this:

Who Can Claim a Plot on the Map?
Any citizen of The East Pacific may have a plot on the map.

To Claim a Plot
Simply look at the latest update and search for a numbered plot on the map. Numbered plots are unclaimed plots on the map. Make a post in http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=6056 stating your nation’s name and the numbered plot you’d like. I encourage you to post your nation’s flag too, so I may put it on the map. Note: you may also post in that thread if you want to make any edits to your nation’s name or the flag. You may also request border re-draws, new islands, new lakes, etc. Decisions on the inclusion and location of such things are at the digression of the cartographer.

Past / Current Events for a Plot
If the plot you claim is currently going through an event (that is, it was an NPC nation in someone else’s plot), or if there was a significant past history event on the plot that has significantly affected that nation, I will do my best to inform you of all the goings-on in that plot.

Note: Nations that are using the NPC nation may request to have the plot ‘reserved’ such that no one can claim it for an amount of time.

Your Nation vs. Neighboring Nations
I plan to keep this in the spirit of the previous cartographer, to a certain degree. There is no set scale to this map, nor is there a policy on climates, etc. However, no nation is in a box, especially if it is on a continent with other nations around it. It is to this end I will try to ensure that climates that are ‘polar opposites’ of one another won’t be placed close to one another. For instance, if your nation is a frozen tundra, it would be bad to put your nation right next to a very hot desert nation. Most of the time, however, I won’t object. Just be cognizant of other nations around you.

Requesting an Outline (or Basic Map) of Your Nation
Post in http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=8427 to request an outline or basic map of your nation. Examples abound exist in the thread.

Removal of Your Nation from the Map
If you don’t log into the forums over a period of 90 days, or if you lose your citizenship, I’ll remove your nation to make room for a new plot. So, as long as you remain a citizen and log into the forums regularly, you shouldn’t have a problem with keeping your nation alive:)

If your nation does get deleted, you can request another plot. If the plot that your nation was once on is still available, you can re-request that plot.

Special Circumstances
Nations that have had a significant impact in TEP roleplay, or nations that have been placed under the “historical protection” mask but have ceased to exist in-game or have not logged into the forums in 90 days shall not lose their placement on the map.

… I don’t want non Rp’ers being able to keep plots on the map which your rules allow. there is no point to having a plot if you dont RP.

— Begin quote from ____

… I don’t want non Rp’ers being able to keep plots on the map which your rules allow. there is no point to having a plot if you dont RP.

— End quote

Somewhat with Allegheny on this one, but that just might be from the imperialistic ruler inside of me. :lol:

What if the non-RP nations had their own continent? That way, they’re still on the map, and there are plots open for our power/land hungry nations.

This was debated on a while back, and the idea of a specific continent of non-Rpers was brought up as well. It was determined that non-RPers should have a spot on the map too. I’m open to changing this. Questions remain, though. When should a nation first make/participate an RP in order to keep their nation? If they don’t RP for a while, do they lose their nation, and how long should a while be?

The question boils down to if we’re using this map for roleplay only or roleplay + having other nations in TEP involved, regardless of roleplay history. Different regions have different types of maps. Since our map is located in the roleplay section, however, I’m inclined to include only roleplay nations on it. If you want to keep your nation, participate in roleplay. Simple as that.

So, three options:[ul]
[li]The map is for both Rping and non-rping nations
[li]The map is for both Rping and non-Rping nations, but non-Rping nations should be in a selected location on the map
[li]The map is only for Rping nations
[/li][/ul]I am open to either, but I’d like to hear what others think first. I do, however, think option two would be difficult to maintain. Some new nations don’t know if they want to RP or not, so they might end up putting their nation on the wrong continent, for example. For me, I think it can either be 1 or 3.

I’d say keep it to roleplay only. If people aren’t sure about whether or not they will roleplay, just let them have the plot they requested, but ensure that they will RP later. Simple rules - follow them and keep your plot, disregard them and lose it.

A lot of good plots have been taken up by seemingly inactive nations.

RPers only on the map i say. If you want to get noticed, or be on the map as in a manner of speaking, then get active on the forum?

— Begin quote from ____

I’d say keep it to roleplay only. If people aren’t sure about whether or not they will roleplay, just let them have the plot they requested, but ensure that they will RP later. Simple rules - follow them and keep your plot, disregard them and lose it.

A lot of good plots have been taken up by seemingly inactive nations.

— End quote

Which is one of the reasons I am land locked… :expressionless:

Well you could have them for both, but only active non-RP members…

Tough it does make more sense to only use it for RPers… Yes, it does.

I’m of very mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, if we want TEP to be an all-inclusive resort, all are entitled to a plot.

On the other hand, it’s the RPers who make use of the plots when designing plots. (We need to expand the English language).

I tend to lean towards the latter though a way to get around making the map exclusive to RPers would be to have it known up front that if you’re not a RP, your “nation” may be used in RP. Permission would have to be understood.

If we’re going with option one, I’d agree with your last statement, because as I said earlier, no nation lives in a box, lol. But that just creates another NPC nation that’s basically up for grabs. People would rather ‘go to war’ with an NPC than another nation played by someone regularly because it’s safer and less messy generally. Plus, when has an NPC nation ever won a war against a PC nation? I’m okay with NPC - PC interaction, but I’d rather see PC-PC interaction. Right now, there are nations that have never RP’d that have plots on the map. I don’t need to name names - most of the RPers here already know who those nations are. It becomes awkward to deal with, especially if your nation borders one of them, I imagine.

I understand some regions allow anyone to claim a map spot. But ours is directly connected to our roleplay. We’re even under the OOC section, something that is directly associated with roleplay.

I am not ok with NPC-PC interaction some people are just gaining things at the expense of un-used plots now… time to interact with others.

I have to respectfully disagree with all other NPC iterations it’s just a waste of map space. In fact I propose you disallow NPC nations from these new rulesets.

It’s one thing if a person’s PC nation is taken up by another, but it’s something completely different when you make one up out of nowhere… I understand NPC’s may have been needed before and thats ok. but now we have more than enough RP’ers to RP with.

— Begin quote from ____

I am not ok with NPC-PC interaction some people are just gaining things at the expense of un-used plots now… time to interact with others.

I have to respectfully disagree with all other NPC iterations it’s just a waste of map space. In fact I propose you disallow NPC nations from these new rulesets.

It’s one thing if a person’s PC nation is taken up by another, but it’s something completely different when you make one up out of nowhere… I understand NPC’s may have been needed before and thats ok. but now we have more than enough RP’ers to RP with.

— End quote

Considering we have at least 2-3 RP’s going on in which NPC’s are directly involved, I won’t disallow PC-NPC interactions. But I do agree, interacting with others should be priority.

IF people are going to use NPC’s, I believe they should at least be played by a nation other than themself. With the amount of RPers we have on this forum, there shouldn’t be any problem to find someone to play as the NPC. That makes it more fair.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

Considering we have at least 2-3 RP’s going on in which NPC’s are directly involved, I won’t disallow PC-NPC interactions. But I do agree, interacting with others should be priority.

IF people are going to use NPC’s, I believe they should at least be played by a nation other than themself. With the amount of RPers we have on this forum, there shouldn’t be any problem to find someone to play as the NPC. That makes it more fair.

— End quote

NPC nations are boring and serve 0 purpose at this point in time… there is more than enough to RP with now.

What about current RP? How do these rules effect current RP?

— Begin quote from ____

What about current RP? How do these rules effect current RP?

— End quote

As far as I know, they don’t. It will cause some nations to lose their plots on the map, but that depends on our ruling regarding non-RPers and how long an inactive nation without a significant impact to TEP roleplay should remain on the map.

Well Carbonis is currently running a mission to take over the inactive nations that neighbor it. This ruling would negate my RP.

— Begin quote from ____

Well Carbonis is currently running a mission to take over the inactive nations that neighbor it.  This ruling would negate my RP.

— End quote

I know, I remember that :slight_smile: But you’d be able to still do your plot

Basically, under these rules as they currently are, you can use NPC nations. I’d rather have others RP those nations than just one person RPing your nation and the others around it (something that you did, which is good). I’m not opposed to this.

How difficult would it be to add new continents to it, anyway?

I’m just thinking of when we’re super popular and sexy active, you understand.

Hmm, I would ask if newspapers would count as RPs, but seeing as the main topic is to increase interaction between nations, that’s probably no. I guess I have to start sometime soon then.

I think Newspapers can be utilized to help interaction between nations personally. :slight_smile: For an idea of what I mean, see Bai Lung and Allegheny’s newspaper “war”.