New Map Rules, vote

((Note: so it’s been a while that we’ve discussed over this. Before I hand this position over to someone else, I’d like to sort of get these rules over to help in future. Rules are of course subject to change, but hey, as long as we have something good here, we might as well put it to good use. Just vote yes or no, citizen or passport guys can vote.) Read over it carefully and if you reject it, feel free to include why.))

Who Can Claim a Plot on the Map?
Any citizen or passport of The East Pacific may have a plot on the map.

To Claim a Plot
Simply look at the latest map update and search for a numbered plot on the map. Numbered plots are unclaimed plots on the map. Make a post in http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=6056 stating your nation’s name and the numbered plot you’d like. If you can, post your nation’s flag too, so it can be included on the map. Note: you may also post in that thread if you want to make any edits to your nation’s name or the flag. You may also request border re-draws (so long as it is okay with the nation(s) your border-in-question shares and relevant in roleplay), new islands, new lakes, etc.

Past / Current Events for a Plot
If the plot you claim is currently going through an event (that is, it is/was an NPC nation in someone else’s plot), or if there was a significant past history event on the plot that has significantly affected that nation, the map cartographer and others should inform you of all the relevant past goings-on in that plot.

NPC Nations
NPC nations are nations you are playing for the purposes of an RP plot. If you are involving an NPC nation in a plot, please inform the map cartographer so he or she does not overlook that nation.

Requesting an Outline (or Basic Map) of Your Nation
Post in http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=8427 to request an outline or basic map of your nation.

Removal of Your Nation from the Map
If you don’t log into the forums over a period of 90 days, if you lose your citizenship or passport, or you just haven’t roleplayed with us in a long while, the your nation may be removed to make room for a new plot. So, as long as you remain a citizen/passport and roleplay every once and a while, you shouldn’t have a problem with keeping your nation alive. And yes, newspaper articles about your nation count toward activity.

If your nation does get deleted, you can request another plot or the same plot you had before, if it is not claimed.

Special Circumstances
Roleplayed nations that have had a significant impact in TEP roleplay shall not lose their placement on the map.

Well I guess since we’ve not had a vote in three days, maybe I should try a different approach. Does anyone object to said map rules?

Guess not.

I would only add that if a claimed territory is abandoned (the ruler’s nation CTEs) - after a while said territory might be freed up for new folks to plunder and pillage - or just stage a bloodless takeover if they want to be boring about it.

Agree with barb with the addendum that the action must pass through the magisterium as a special bill as to not plunder Historic Nations.

Also add a rule.

*The Pax shall be able to claim any plot as an assimilated territory at any time due to their own awesomeness.

— Begin quote from ____

Agree with barb with the addendum that the action must pass through the magisterium as a special bill as to not plunder Historic Nations.

Also add a rule.

*The Pax shall be able to claim any plot as an assimilated territory at any time due to their own awesomeness.

— End quote

So as I understand it, if a historical nation is debated on being removed it must be passed via the Magisterium first? Personally I think that if the nation has made a significant impact in TEP roleplay or if its history is very important to that of another nation in TEP, it should be kept on. I know not everyone feels this way though.

This is a tricky subject because I know there are people who want to keep government separate from roleplay (myself included). But if we’re going to go that route, we’re going to have to define what a historical nation is so we don’t get mad at the map editor for removing a particular nation. It’s a gray area is what it all boils down to. Another suggestion could be to have the Map Editor write down a list of nations he/she wants to remove before doing an update and the Magisterium could vote on that accordingly, but my concern there is that will prolong updates.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

Also add a rule.

— End quote

So as I understand it, if a historical nation is debated on being removed it must be passed via the Magisterium first? Personally I think that if the nation has made a significant impact in TEP roleplay or if its history is very important to that of another nation in TEP, it should be kept on. I know not everyone feels this way though.

This is a tricky subject because I know there are people who want to keep government separate from roleplay (myself included). But if we’re going to go that route, we’re going to have to define what a historical nation is so we don’t get mad at the map editor for removing a particular nation. It’s a gray area is what it all boils down to. Another suggestion could be to have the Map Editor write down a list of nations he/she wants to remove before doing an update and the Magisterium could vote on that accordingly, but my concern there is that will prolong updates.

— End quote

My concern is that if we do delete or take over such a nation, and that person comes back, we should include a way for them to be able to take back control of their nation or have it restored.

There is still plenty of plots to be chosen, and some players (e.g. New Nabbers or Retoa) just choose to have a completely new island made up for them. Personally, I think we should take care of ‘dead’ nations, only when the number of free plots are low (like 3 or 4 places). I mean, what’s the rush for?

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

Also add a rule.

— End quote

— End quote

My concern is that if we do delete or take over such a nation, and that person comes back, we should include a way for them to be able to take back control of their nation or have it restored.

— End quote

Well, that’s the point about counting them for RP significance. If someone doesn’t RP, but claims a plot, then is removed, but then comes back, hopefully his or her spot will still be there. If not, they’ll have to pick another spot.

— Begin quote from ____

There is still plenty of plots to be chosen, and some players (e.g. New Nabbers or Retoa) just choose to have a completely new island made up for them. Personally, I think we should take care of ‘dead’ nations, only when the number of free plots are low (like 3 or 4 places). I mean, what’s the rush for?

— End quote

This is fine, but then what happens if an active nation is surrounded by inactive nations? He or she would have to wait until all the plots are filled up to get some neighborly action going on (this sounds suggestive, but it’s not intended to be). I think we should remove nations claimed by people who haven’t any RP significance and just left. I mean, I know a lot of the newer active nations here had been claimed earlier by people when the map was re-done sometime in early 2009 / late 2008.

These rules seem fine to me. I’m with Todd in thinking that we should keep the map as open as possible, though, so that people aren’t stuck surrounded by inactives.

I think the best compromise here would be to add this in the Removal of Your Nation section:

— Begin quote from ____

Other roleplayers may question the removal of a nation or suggest to restore a removed nation from the map. If sufficient support is gained, the nation in question shall remain on the map.

— End quote

It’s kind of a ‘buffer’ if you will, kind of like a ‘just in case’ clause, without adding too much bureaucracy to the cartographer. I did leave the ‘sufficient support’ part kind of broad though. We could make it more specific of course but I figured future cartographers can and should understand the importance of particular nations on the map, active or not.

Can you add the information that from time to time, most often a few days before the next update, I’ll ask for confirmation of the informations. Lack of which will result in me not putting up that nation on the map.

I’d also be for adding that the flags must appear on the map, but I’m not insisting on it.

Can you help me get a plot on the map?