Nielsen Claim

Flag: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_east_pacific/download/file.php?id=604038
Nation Name (long): The Kingdom of Nielsen
Nation Name (short): Nielsen

National Animal: Ursus maritimus
National Flower/Plant: Has to be a real plant. Vaccinum vitis-idaea (Lingonberry)

Capitol: Dauskom
Largest City: Dauskom (200,677)

Demonym: Nils
Language: Nils (Norwegian)
Species: Ursine, Human
Population: 500,026

Government type: Constitutional Monrachy
Leader(s): King Asriel I (human), Prime Minister Valentin Kuuisto (human)
Legislature: Storting
Formation: 1306 (Dauskom Dynasty), 1721 (Sikorsky Dynasty), 1936 (established as a constitutional monarchy)

Total GDP: $36 billion - large oil and dwindling nickel industry, plus a tourism industry carefully cultivated since 1937 and
GDP per capita: $71996
Calling Code: +270
ISO 3166 code: NLS, NE
Internet TLD: .nls

Historical Summary: Founded by Asriel I, the history of Nielsen can be split into two Dynasties: the Dauskom dynasty and the Sikorsky Dynasty. Nielsen was estabslished by Asriel (later King Asriel I) in 1306. Not much is known about his reign, but Asriel is regarded by the Ursine population as a catalyst for the suppression of Ursines: they were not allowed to vote on key issues or participate in town councils. After Asriel’s reign not much occured during the almost 400 year reign of his successors, and eventually they were couped by a rival family.

The Sikorsky dynasty ran an isolated regime, with no foreign relations or trade routes.  This lead to many people suffering as a result of famines. However, this did lead to a manufacturing and arms industry (the residues of which remain to this day) and eventually, gold was struck in the form of oil in 1927 and Nickel a few years later. This lead to a thawing of the isolation under King Darius X, which lead to calls for democracy. Darius eventually obliged, and re-wrote the constitution allowing for a parliament with a first past the post system of representative democracy and an elected Head of Government. Even though the nation is now a democracy, there are still issues with the system: much of the Ursine population (many of whom are concentrated in the northern Sidirova islands) feel like the democratic processes leave them out due to gerrymandering, leading to some Ursine independence movements in the North of the nation. There has also never been an Ursine Staatsminster, even though there have been Ursine government members as of late. Many still face discrimination in day-to-day life in cities with a predominantly human population, such as Dauskom.

The young king, Asriel II enjoys some level of popularity accross all corners of Nielsen, in part due to his hands-on approach, however, the Staatsminster is widely regarded as out of touch by the Ursine population: there are no Ursine members of cabinet in the widely human controlled party. Even so, the party has presided over the slashing of social security in a system of austerity. The oil industry is still strong, however the nickel supply is now dwindling. Nielsen is also famous to it’s world famous orchestras and music: the Nielsen Symphony Orchestra (NSO), Royal Nielsen Philharmonic Radio (RNPR),  the Dauskom Philharmonia, the Nielsen Chamber Orchestra and other smaller (but no less more important) orchestral, baroque, folk and chamber collectives producing many recordings and contributing to the cultural capital of the nation.

Claim: (I’ve also added the islands to the North in because I thought that would be fun, but I couldn’t find a way to highlight it properly so it looks a bit janky.)

Following a vote on 6th June 2022, this nation claim has been APPROVED by a vote of 5-0-0. Further votes will be amended to this post as they come in.