OF's Platform for Re-Election

My platform for Chancellor:
UTEP = Ministry of Information and Labor

What does that mean?

A Ministry of Information (or something similar) exists in many successful regions, notably Lazarus, 10,000 Islands, and The North Pacific, Europeia, and so many others. A Ministry of Information is simply a forum devoted to guides and FAQs about NS and the region. It is step 2 for new players, if gaining citizenship is step 1.

A Ministry of Labor (or something similar) also exists in many successful regions, notably 10,000 Islands, Europeia, Osiris, and others. A Ministry of Labor streamlines the process of plugging new players into Gameplay, including the legislature, military, media, and court. It is step 3 for new players, if citizenship and Information are steps 1 and 2.

(It is important to note, the naturalization process varies from region to region, but my experience as ambassador to 40+ regions has shown a similar process is repeated in most successful regions. Many such regions’ departments or ministries overlap or combine the roles above and more, but the roles are filled nonetheless.)

Why does that matter?

First, consider that UTEP has seen three incarnations:

1. Pre-Education Act:
    The original University pre-Education Act. It was started to teach newcomers. Holders were reportedly depositories of knowledge, ready to answer questions and teach.

2. First Chancellery:
    Bach did an amazing job creating classes. While educational, the work required to conduct the classes was unreasonable. The classes were converted into “compendiums,” or anthologies of educational and historical documents, such as laws and court rulings.

3. Third Chancellery:
    I reorganized the University into activity-centered subforums, and tried to organize a Poetry Competition and Chess Competition. They are as follows:
    –Debate Hall: Home to forthcoming lectures from Rameaus and Pierconium.
    –News Drafting: Home to “UTEP’s Daily Issue,” a newspaper published on the NS Gameplay forum.
    –East Point Military Academy: Home to practice missions.
    –Special Projects & Research: Home to the start of The Confederated East Pacific, readme guides such as “Guide to The East Pacific” in the Newcomers forum and “Getting Started” in the RP forum.

Additionally, you need to know other universities have sprouted up in numerous places, esp. in the other GCRs and large UCRs. (Also of note, there are Chess Clubs in regions such as Balder, Mordor, and Europeia.) They are all setup to hold classes on rather random subjects from NS and RL, as decided by the teacher.

The point is they all face the inactivity/lack of participation UTEP has experienced. In my first term’s platform, I pledged to build a intelligentsia and build the ranks of Holders. I added myself, Bach, Unibot, and Babiana as Holders. I am the Holder of Inter-Regional Law, Babiana is the Holder of Military Science, and Unibot was the Holder of Journalism.

Going forward, if I am re-elected, I will build on the progress of the last four months.

What progress?

I have not been sitting on my laurels. The most pressing issue in TEP was the influx of citizens, or lack thereof. We now have citizens flowing in because the change back to an application thread. More citizens mean more students. The changes I made to the organization of UTEP–the activities–need to be communicated to these new citizens.

If you haven’t guessed, the University has been turned into a Ministry of Labor over the past four months. It is an attempt to produce activity. Learning through activity. It now has what the other NS universities do not: a place within the natural functions of a region. Sure, they may house lectures and essays (none more than UTEP), but they are overlooked by new players in favor of doing stuff.

If I am re-elected, I will build the “Ministry of Information” branch of UTEP, (remember the readme threads mentioned already?) and work with the executive branch to build a bridge between it and UTEP’s “Ministry of Labor” activities. That is what will put students in UTEP’s subforums, and what will turn new citizens into Magisters, Soldiers, Ambassadors, and Reporters.

Here is a break down of the new naturalization process for citizens:

http://s8.postimg.org/zbr1qfqz9/utep.png
It sounds like a lot of steps, but is is actually quite simple. Citizens will join the forum, follow the guide to become a citizen, and then join the RP and/or UTEP. From there they will be given guides to get involved. They will learn by doing.

It is also important to note that the University presents the “cultural” exchange opportunity NS is looking for. Regions occasionally hold inter-regional events. Universities across NS can become relevant if they work together, with things such as Chess Clubs and shared lectures. If I am re-elected, I will work with other universities to have events and share information. UTEP will be the leader of the inter-regional intelligentsia.

That is why I ask you to vote for me to continue as UTEP Chancellor.

Are we able to designate something with the name of “Ministry” if it not considered an executive branch organization?

I would like the idea of having the delegate designate the University as these official Ministries with a minister serving on the directorate. This Minister would of course be the Chancellor, (or chancellor designee) and would tie the university in closer with the Government of TEP.

If you are re elected chancellor, would you seek to do this?

These are very good questions, and I’d like to add that OF has talked with me about this before throwing it out there, and I do see merit in designating the UTEP and some of it’s functions as a branch of the Executive.

— Begin quote from ____

Are we able to designate something with the name of “Ministry” if it not considered an executive branch organization?

I would like the idea of having the delegate designate the University as these official Ministries with a minister serving on the directorate. This Minister would of course be the Chancellor, (or chancellor designee) and would tie the university in closer with the Government of TEP.

If you are re elected chancellor, would you seek to do this?

— End quote

Well, then-Delegate AMOM appointed the first Chancellor, Bach, who then appointed the first three holders. In that context, the University could be considered an extension of the Delegate and thereby a part of the Executive. However, the election of the Chancellor by the Holders makes any oversight by the Delegate negligible without the cooperation of the Chancellor. Since the Delegate can appoint ministers and create ministries, I believe the Delegate can appoint the Chancellor and/or a Holder(s) as a Minister(s). That would co-opt UTEP, but only during that particular Chancellor’s term(s).

The Magisterium would have to amend the Education Act for the change to be permanent. I want to see if this plan will succeed before the Magisterium amends the Act. Originally, I did not intended for UTEP to officially become a ministry by Executive Order this term if I am re-elected. However, if the involved parties (we three holders and the Delegate; Holder Babs refuses to post) want to cooperate, I see no problem doing so.

You seem interested in being an active part of such a ministry. I have a very specific vision for UTEP and want to see it implemented to a T. However, TEP and UTEP belongs to everyone, and compromise and teamwork is essential for both TEP and UTEP to succeed. I can foresee a staggered approach where I am appointed Minister of Information and Labor, or not and simply remain Chancellor, in order to put the plan into action, then hand the reigns over to you or someone else.

— Begin quote from ____

These are very good questions, and I’d like to add that OF has talked with me about this before throwing it out there, and I do see merit in designating the UTEP and some of it’s functions as a branch of the Executive.

— End quote

Awesome. If the Executive and its’ ministries cooperate, things would go smoother. I want to ensure students are prepared for the Executive, particularly as soldiers, ambassadors and reporters. If the relevant officers/ministers communicate their requirements and expectations, that would be most helpful. Of course, they are free to contribute to UTEP anyway they see fit.

Also, what you said is most insightful: “…I do see merit in designating the UTEP and some of it’s functions as a branch of the Executive.”

The University must remain a place free from diminutive criticism and ideological censorship. It should be TEP’s “Speaker’s Corner” and open for anyone to contribute and participate. I believe the possible amendment should very clearly protect freedom of speech at a minimum. Other than that, I think UTEP offers TEP the functions of a Ministry of Information, Labor, and possibly Culture (ie: Chess and Poetry contests), which should all be included in the Executive as one or more ministries. Just my thoughts at the moment.