One RP discord to RULE THEM ALL!

Group,

I was actually thinking about, for the first time in ever, to actually make a discord server. I didn’t even make one for my books! I don’t make such things, but I’ve been reading up on them, and considering TEP’s had kind of a fragmented discord history, I’d like to try and give some concreteness to the roleplay aspect (government server’s doing quite well). I’d like to make an official TEP RP server. We have a few servers for RP, both current and historic, and I’d like to see if we can streamline this into one cohesive unit. But before I create one, I’d like to gauge public interest. So, before responding answer these questions: 1. Should we have a universal RP server and 2. Should we go to war shortly thereafter?

Be advised… I’m a slow fox these days. I have RL stuff and I still do write, so I’m not an active-daily kinda guy. I’m also kind of meh when it comes to gameplay anymore. Roleplay is where it’s at for me. Here’s what I was thinking, feel free to amend, fix:

Lobby:

• Links (helpful links to get folks into the RP spirit and quickly integrate them!)
  • Rules (rules of the discord)
  • Lobby (non-citizens go here until they’re masked as citizens! If they’re not citizens, they can only see this section)

General:

• Introductions (we introduce new RPers here and there’s links they can click on)
  • Roleplay Ideas (a sandbox for new RP’s)
  • Current RP’s (title is as it says)
  • Nation Development (making better nations / nation help)
  • Character Development (making better characters / character help / character inquiries)
  • Technology Temerity (here we align tech, talk about tech, new weapons, that sort)
  • Critique Central (RP’s aren’t ever perfect. Here we build on each other to make stories better. Basically a ‘grind my gears’ section but it builds us all up to become better).

Map

• Cartographer’s Corner (cartographers can only talk here, used for their updates, words of wisdom, that sort)
  • Map updates (claims, new territory, ideas, etc go here. Any citizen can write here)

RP Extras

• NSWIKI (NSwiki stuff here)
  • NS Olympics (sounds kinda obvious here)
  • RP Pictures (cool related RP pics go here)
  • Extra RP ideas (stuff that doesn’t fit anywhere else. I envision this as a kind of AU springboard, but it is what it is!)

RP Factions

• (Basically any large nation of interest, active RPing nation of interest, or alliance of interest, gets their own channel for questions, answers, ideas, RP ideas, and so on)

Other Media

• (videos pertaining to RP posts, RP music, and such)

Voices of RP

• Voice Chat (I am hesitant on this… because it is likely going to be un-moderated as all voice chats are, but I am considering it)

Staff

• Mod Area (I want to stress transparency. There will be a staff area. It will include RP mods and those who know how to best run a discord to cut out the riff-raff)

What do you think? Should we add something? Delete stuff? Or should I just abandon this project altogether? I want to make this area fun and exciting, but also as an extension of current TEP RP, not a replacement. Ultimately, I envision this: a new nation joins. They join the Rp server. They become familiar with the workings of TEP RP upon becoming a citizen. They integrate, join in some RPs and, above all, have fun. What do you think?

Reading through your suggestion, I absolutely agree with your idea Todd. A singular primary channel would, in my opinion, better centralize us as a group and make it easier to communicate. I’ve noticed a lack of “RP Spirit” in the community in the past few months, likely due to the fact that it’s the end of summer/winter and the influx of activity that comes with it, but I digress. I think the current integration process that we have is the biggest turn-off for newcomers.

That RP Spirit that they enter TEP with is swiftly dashed after learning about the sheer amount of information and lore here, about all the different spreadsheets we as a community have made through the years, and figuring out how to navigate and operate both the TEP Forums and NSWiki (if they so choose), not to include all the rules that have been added to the map claims thread. Now, I don’t have all the answers of course, but a streamlining of the process for when we gain new RPers I think would help greatly. Perhaps if, in the Discord server itself, certain channels were kept locked from newcomers, to prevent them from feeling that sense of being overwhelmed, until they are “prepped up” for those channels. For instance, there would be the initial few main channels like “general,” and “image dump,” but as one slowly gets to know the community, they are introduced to more channels at a pace each individual is comfortable with.

One way I have seen other servers accomplish this is through the usage of the roles system. To provide an example, a newcomers’ role would be, “newb,” and they have very limited access starting off. After a while, they request to get the “caekling” role which opens up more channels for them to go through. It would go on like that until we get to the likes of the “BigBadHodads” of the server. I think that your proposal is 100% what this community needs right now, and I hope I may have brought some form of insight, even though that insight may not have been what you were looking for.

Tuva said it all, and I agree with both of you.

This is truly an awesome idea! :smiley:

I support

Yeah, I don’t have anything to add besides that I support this idea.