Outside The Perimeter

January 2, 2021 in Nuova Aspiria, Rotantica

Wiping the sweat from her brow and pushing a strand of her ginger hair behind her ear, Amanda stepped away from the mechanics of the solar panel, proud of her successful repairs. Around her, the entire field glimmered as the light of the Rotantican sun above reflected off the hundreds of other panels. Since arriving to Nuova Aspiria over a year ago, she had worked tirelessly since day one to create a foothold for herself in this unforgiving environment. It was hard work, but she had become fairly self-sufficient with the main danger being the immense reptilians, or dinosaurs, that still traverse the lands of Rotantica.

Amanda’s mood changed as she sighted a dust cloud following behind a vehicle heading in her direction. With a heavy sigh, she packed up her toolbox and trudged over to the nearby dirt road as a dark green SUV pulled up in front of her. Nearby her motorcycle was parked which she packed her equipment on as she waited for two men to step out of the vehicle and walk in her direction. Amanda immediately recognized both men as Camillo Nelli, director of the Settlers Guild, and Olivier Koning, the Expeditionary Guild’s captain. With such important figures of the colony visiting her, Amanda knew it was for something important.

“You better have a good reason to be here. If not, I kindly request you get off my property,” she said in an annoyed tone, placing her hands on her hip.

“Quite the sour greeting, Amanda,” Camillo replied with a chuckle. Once close enough, Amanda greeted the two of them with a handshake. Stepping back, Camillo continued. “How is it around here, any issues with the local wildlife?”

“Just the usual large plant eaters thinking they can trample around wherever they like. Had to scare a herd away after they broke through my northern fence,” Amanda answered, nodding towards a line of trees where a large fence separated the untamed forest from her territory.

“Unfortunate. I can ask Benjamin to send someone out here to repair it if you’d like,” he said with a knowing nod.

“I’m fine, Camillo. Thank you for the offer, though.” Rummaging through a smaller pack on the side of her motorcycle, she pulled out a handful of small fruit similar in size to a grape that are native to Rotantica and popped a couple into her mouth. As she continued snacking, she turned her attention back to her visitors. “I doubt both of you drove all the way out here to just chat.”

“It would have been easier if you had answered our calls,” Olivier replied in a displeased manner which Amanda rolled her eyes to. Ignoring her response, the guild captain continued. “We’re wondering if you’d like to volunteer for a special mission outside the CSSP upon request of the Expeditionary Guild.” Confused, Amanda looked over towards Camillo with a raised eyebrow.

“The RFEC has asked for us to assist in establishing a new settlement outside of the boundaries of Cluster-Serenitech,” Camillo added. Amanda nodded in response, bringing up to mind the few times she encountered CS security forces. For the most part they left the colony alone, only passing by to take care of any security breaches. As arguably the most powerful entity in Rotantica though, it was no surprise to her that the Committee, or the colony in general, wished to step out of the shadow of Cluster-Serenitech.

“Isn’t it safer to stay within their Security Perimeter?” Amanda asked, tossing another fruit into her mouth.

“Apparently it is more beneficial for the future of Nuova Aspiria to prepare for expansion outside the influence of others, or that’s what the Committee has told us,” Camillo replied with a shrug.

“Does the Expeditionary Guild not have enough members?” she asked, turning to Olivier.

“We’re stretched thin, Amanda. We need all the help we can get,” he said grimly.

“Well I’m not leaving my property to go on some dangerous mission.” She said as she finished off her meal and began finishing packing away her belongings.

“The Settlers Guild is willing to caretake your land while you are away. Also, as this will be new territory we are stepping into, you will be allowed to stake a claim in this new settlement,” Camillo tried to entice.

“Sorry, not interested,” Amanda answered as she hopped onto her vehicle.

“Your debt will also be paid off!” Camillo hollered as the bike’s engine revved, but Amanda paused as she caught what he said.

“Excuse me?” she asked, turning her heads towards the two. Noticing her interest, Camillo smiled as he provided an explanation.

“Due to the dangerous nature of this expedition, the RFEC has offered to pay off any sponsor debt to settlers who volunteer. That means you will be free of your sponsor to do as you please here in Nuova Aspiria.” Amanda paused in her seat, processing this new information. In order to settle in Rotantica, the RFEC assigned a sponsor who helped fund the expedition. In exchange though, she became indebted to an unknown individual or corporation back in Aequatoria and now caretook not only her own property but the reserved territory of her sponsor for many years. That was at least until she was provided this offer.

“I get to keep all of this too?” Amanda asked, gesturing to the land around her. Looking back at the two, her heart raced as both of them nodded.

“I take it you’re interested, then?” Camillo asked. Taking a moment to think, Amanda shut off her bike and stepped off.