Preparing for the Storm that Cometh

Saturday
18 June
La Rochelle

Ese Ulua invited the heads of state of three major Atlantian powers (Mexregiona, Tretrid and The Atlae Isles) to a summit meeting at the Serene Palace in the Oan capital of La Rochelle to discuss the war in Aurora and solicit their help. He had already expressed Oan interest and willingness to house and assist their militaries as they came south. The matters needed to be clarified, and what better way to do so, than face to face?

He hoped that their presence might dissuade Strataric military action and possible involvement in the Auroran wat on the side of the Axis. Unfortunately for him, he was wrong.

★★★

Preparing for the arrival of any head of state was a logistical nightmare. Accommodation and food for them and their retinue had to be sorted out, as well as their security and transport, the majority of the cost, the Oan government would bear. Regardless, Ese was optimistic that there would be a positive outcome.

The guests would arrive at an airbase. They would be met by a guard of honour and greeted by Locklyn Le Roy. They would be ferried by a cavalcade of police to the Serene Palace, where they would be welcomed by the Defender, Ese Ulua on the stairs. They would be ushered into the Cloistered Garden for a high tea, after which, talks would begin in the Blue Drawing Room.

War was unpredictable. This would be the most unpredictable of all.

HM Markka IV of the Asian Pacific Islands has arrived unexpectedly with plans of humanitarian aid, and ensuring political and social stability throughout the region

[DELETED]

Oaloanu had to attend the summit on his father’s behalf, as he was unexpectedly caught by a bad cold, that in advanced age, was troublesome. Oaloanu, the prince that should assume the Oan throne and crown was entrusted with the future of the Pacific Ocean. It was in good hands. He was charming and well spoken, young and energetic, but wise. He walked tall and confidently settling into the air of the presence of power, rather comfortably.

Oaloanu and Markka spoke, the former saying to the latter: “It is delightful to have you attend our meeting. We ought to invited your Majesty, yet in the context of the situation and the respective circumstances with which we parley, it seemed of the least of your interest. We are glad that you arrived, however to shed new light, where once our eyes ne’er may have reached. To that end We welcome you, and hope that fruitful bounty herefrom shall arise, insights attained and actions resolved upon, sire. With the tenuous atmosphere that abounds from Gondwana to Aurora, the presence of familiar faces brings peace to the mind, that the circumstances are not as stark as once perceived to be”.

Markka happily continue the conversation

“Well thank you Oaloanu, A while ago, I never thought I would be in a meeting like this. When the war started I was ill informed that there was even a war going on. I never knew about it until a sudden influx of military activities around my islands started to happen. This war is serious business though. As a neutral nation in this conflict there was nothing I could do to prevent naval battles only a few kilometers from my islands. I’m not here to demand reparations for oil leaking in my waters, I am just coming here to help the talk of peace surrounding my waters and airspace”

Oaloanu replied: War leads man to his basic nature. The Id overpowers him and guides his actions that sense, that once prevailed and brought normality and peace, is diminished in the chambers of his mind. War, for all the destruction it brings, is at our doorstep: a wolf prowling and sniffing seeking to devour us and our children. It would be noble, but ultimately naïve to believe that it can be staved off by patiently waiting for it find new prey. We must become not only aware, but fully conscious of that fact, that we shall always remain in the sights of it. We must therefore prepare for it, reinforcing relationships with our old and new allies, certain in the values for which we stand and the priorities that plead and deserve our focus. This meeting gives us that opportunity, for friends to reinforce their strong friendships. And the Oan Isles and the Asian Pacific Islands, are just that – unequivocally – friends. And friendship brings the joy and comfort, and certainty, of mutual support and protection. You have every right to expect us to head your call and help you, as your friend. We have the same right. With that we hope that when the storm cometh, we shall help and shelter each other, that all other considerations, by way of convenience and self-enrichment, shall bear no power. For our nations are as swords wrought from the same ingot or pillars hewn from the same stone.

With that in mind, while I knoweth not the cards that Fate shall play (for her will is fickle), I can discern that your help will be needed. We shall need your help in some form or other, for circumstance shall determine what manner or extent. We are sure that we can plead at thy home and find warmth and willing aid, just as you should know that our bosom is not closed or cast in marble that it should be hard or cold. Right?

0900 Hours
6/18/12017
Exeter, The Atlae Isles

The Royal Plane refueled in Exeter before its scheduled takeoff later.

King Calvin I was on the plane, contemplating his options. He’d been going through countless meetings and briefings about the stressful situation brewing up North.

The Atlaesian public was split on foreign affairs, some holding isolationist or imperialist protests. Liber Yorvus and others were quickly becoming rogue. Hence, security was tight around the plane.

Worse of all, the ceremonial Atlaesian birthday was coming up. The country couldn’t be divided now.

He took a deep breath and faced the ocean.

The Executive Plane, en route to the Oan Isles
Foreign Minister Bartholomew Smith decided that he would retire from his position after Stevenson’s term was up.

There was just too much pressure.

He was quickly becoming weary of the war. He noticed that Stevenson’s advisors also seemed unenthusiastic, even though those same people, under Adam Wilson, were excited about the Four Days War. His actions were also coming under scrutiny from the Tretridian press, as well as the international audience. This was a critical job for any person in his situation. He could not afford to mess up.

Smith was running those thoughts through his mind, while Stevenson, still confined to a wheelchair, was staring out the window. Smith had tried the same thing to calm himself down, but he found no escape from the precarious condition that the result of the Auroran Imperial War, internal affairs of Xargrurg, and the rise of Al-Jaheed led to. The greatest war Tretrid was involved in since the civil war that destroyed the monarchy had started.

(OOC: If you’re wondering what the Tretridian monarchy was, it’s a long story. I’ll get to that later.)

Oaloanu took leave of the King of the Asian Pacific Islands to greet his othet guests. A black SUV stopped directly at the end of the long red carpet that led to the palace door. A bodyguard opened the back door and the King of the Atlae Isles stepped out. A herald announced the King: “His Majesty, Calvin I, King of the Atlae Isles”. The king walked towards Oaloanu. He stopped at the middle of the red carpet and gave a slight bow to his host, who recipricated. He continued walking towards Oaloanu, who rather than staying at the door, walked towards his guest. They shook hands, exchanged a hearty greeting with the King: shaking his hand and kissing his cheek and they walked together to the door. He walked the king to the Cloistered Garden. The same process was repeated with the Tretridian and Mexregionan dignitaries. They seemed less inclined to the idiosyncrasies of royalty. Although a republic had its fair share of pomp and ceremony, royalty seemed to apply it with a trowel.

After the high tea, all five leaders and their entourage, moved to the Gold Pavillion, stand-alone room surrounded by the jungle-like garden. The leaves scattered the light over the gold-leafed walls and ebony furniture. It was a surprisingly picnic-like atmosphere for such as serious meeting. Oaloanu stood up and addresses the leaders…

Oaloanu rose up to give the speech. The National Council had prepared it for him. He had practiced it many times. It outlined the intentions of the Oan Isles within the context of this war. Although Oaloanu was not intimidated by the presence of powerful leaders, his soul was affronted by the business he had called upon them to discuss. His duty was to his nation, and if war was what his nation needed, then so be it.

He spoke: Greetings Prime Minister Stevenson and Foreign Minister Bartholomew Smith, King Markka the Fourth, Mister Leader the Second and King Calvin the First. I am standing in for my father, who has been troubled by a flu. His physician urged him to take a rest, thus the duties of this meeting have fallen upon me. I am Oaloanu, his second son and heir presumptive, the Crown Prince of the Oan Isles. Today, however, I represent my nation, its aspirations and ambitions. The war in Xagrurg requires decisive action. We must remain united on the battlefield and on the negotiations table. We must pursue an expedient end to the war and a lasting peace and prosperity, thereafter".

Oaloanu felt slightly ill. He asked the Chief of Defence, Admiral Tukama Uataka to take over the technical portion of the discussion, who was better equipped to convey the information and answer questions. Oaloanu sat down. The entire Oan delegation stood up. The guests were surprised. Oaloanu merely shook his hand and they all sat down again. This was one of the rules of the Oan royal court – rules that foreigners could hardly understand.

Admiral Tukama Uataka spoke: "We have a plan to fight this war. The first phase is to take Yor. We need to take the northern portion of the islands of Yor. The southern portion is largely in the hands of Kuthernburg. Yor will enable us to carry out the second phase of our plan.
In the second phase, we blockade Xagrurg. We cut of all sea and air routes from the south of the country, to prevent Xagrurg from accessing supplies for its military.
In the third phase, we attack south Xagrurg. The third phase will involve multiple parts. The first part will involve air strikes on key targets to weaken the G.X.E. government and military. The second part will involve taking the city of Eidenburgh, from the air and from the sea and from the land. We need to put boots on the ground. From there we will attack the rest of the south, and we will occupy the south.
In the third phase, we will seek a negotiated settlement with the G.X.E. government to prevent a vacuum of power.
His Royal Highness, the Crown Prince, will brief you on the political resolutions and proposals.
I will focus on the actual combat. At the moment 2,500 troops are needed to take Yor, an air craft carrier to launch aerial attack and send our troops. Our enemy has the protection of cold water and bad weather, therefore we need the element of surprise. I suggest a night time attack with troops dropped in by air. We take key towns and ports, and in a few days, the islands will be taken. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT I OR THE PRINCE HAVE SAID THUS FAR?

Stevenson said, “The Tretridian fleets being sent have still yet to arrive. Should we adjust the schedule accordingly, or go on nonetheless?”

OOC: They aren’t arriving until I actually figure out my navy.

Markka replies “Is there a possible way that your military can stay away from my waters and airspace, It is quite a disturbing sight to our citizens when a Oan ship suddenly docks in Linama City or a fighter jet shatters windows over Owaku (My northern island). I don’t want any hostilities to dear neighbor, but if push comes to shove I’m going to have to send my ships and air force to “redirect” military vehicles that have gone astray”

Calvin replies, “Our military has been partially mobilized. Do we have a time-frame for when these operations will take place?”

King Markka I shall answer your question first. The war will be messy. Although we will exercise maximum restraint, understand that many unpredictable incidents will occur. We will try our best and open up for more dialogue as time goes by".

“King Calvin. We aim to attack Yor in the next few days”

King Markka I shall answer your question first. The war will be messy. Although we will exercise maximum restraint, understand that many unpredictable incidents will occur. We will try our best and open up for more dialogue as time goes by".

*“King Calvin. We aim to attack Yor in the next few days”

She continued, "After we invade Yor we will initiate phase two of our plan. We will enforce a blockade. The GXE’s navy is already weak and with an effective attack on Yor, it will be virtually destroyed. No ship or plane will be allowed to land on or dock at Xagrurg at all. We will, however face heavy air attacks. We must reciprocate with heavier attacks. We must destroy their air force. We will proceed to conduct air strikes on Xagrurg. Attacks on key infrastructure such as power plants, bases and airfields. This part will be difficult because we need to maintain balance between pushing them back while ensuring that basic services will still be available. We face two challenges: the cold weather and deep snow, and the possibility of a scorched earth policy. Before the invasion, we must ensure that we develop our logistics and supplies in Yor. We will need 1,500 combat air craft, 40 sea going vessels (among them three air craft carriers), 10,000 troops and 5,000 artillery pieces. We need to start with an invasion of Eidenburgh above all else. We need to dock to the east and west and surround and besiege the city, dropping in bombs to cripple its defences. The city will link us to Imperium, Laona and Fort Washington. A force is invading Kostoria-Obertonia. We should surround that force at the back while the Kostoro-Obertonians attacl pm the other, sandwiching them between us. Another force will fight to the north, preventing reinforcements from arriving.*

((Sorry, I’m just here to let you peeps know that I’m here now.))

Mister Leader II cleared his throat.

Admiral Uataka continued Yor has been taken care of. I simply hoped to make you aware of where we are at the moment. Oan and Kuthernburg forces are already bringing down the GXE. The main invasion will be the biggest problem. The 10,000 troops I talked about will only comprise part of the initial phase. I made a mistake earlier. We will need 50,000 men to maintain an invasion of Xagrurg.

“Well, I don’t think your getting many troops out of me,” Mister Leader II noted. “No offense, of course. I just don’t see the public being too happy about it. They’ll wholeheartedly fight for their country, yes, but few would see the point in fighting half-way across the Urth. Especially considering the USM’s isolationism until my predecessor came on the scene. I could nudge plenty warships down there, but manpower may be an obstacle. At least, I think.”

((OOC: Yes, Mexregiona was isolationist before Mister Leader I came about.))

"That is excellent Mister Leader. We believe that Mexregiona should supply the ships, Tretrid should supply the troops and The Atlae Isles should supply the air power for a Joint Force, it should at least have the following:
[ul][li]2 air craft carriers
[li]5 destroyers
[li]7 frigates
[li]11 corvettes
[li]2 replenishment vessels
[li]1 icebreaker
[li]1 transport ship for additional supplies
[li]War planes and additional planes and helicopters will be decided on, but we need at least 100 planes and 200 planes[/li][/ul]

Three loud knocks on the door to were the speakers were, could be heard all around the building. The speaker attempted to speak again when the knocks ran through the building as if lightning struck. The doors opened and to the surprise it was the Queen herself Queen Naomi II, she walked in carrying her staff looking around the room seeing the leaders new and old. She turns her head twords Mister Leader II, she nods “Good Day Leader” she says; she turns around and see the Royal family of The Oan Isles she gives a slight wave and takes her seat.