Project: A Guide to NationStates & TEP

Note: I thought this would be a good idea seeing as I and I’m sure others have gotten questions over time about how NS works and TEP works in general. I’d like for us to create a guide where if a new person asks, for instance, what’s influence, or what’s a Magisterium, we could just point them here. I will not write all sections here, just a few starters. Please inquire within about writing a topic, suggesting a topic, etc, but I want to be clear: this is our project, so I’d like to see guides written by different people.

Here’s what I mean

This guide will be divided into categories, linked to the different sections on the guide. So for instance for NS stuff, the guides will probably be listed like this:

NationStates In-Game FAQ[ul]
[li] What is Endorsing and what does it do? (by Todd McCloud )
[li] What is influence and how does it work?(by _____ )
[li] What is the World Assembly (WA)?(by _____ )
[/li][/ul]And so on. The underlined titles will be clickable links in the thread. Some categories I thought we could do is one for the Magisterium, Conclave, Roleplay, and TEP history. Just some starter topics. Obviously some people are probably more qualified at writing certain things than others. I think the Magisterium should be in charge of writing their section, the Conclave theirs, etc. I’d be willing to do some of the in-game stuff, so that will help there hopefully.

Please let me know what you think. If you’d like to write a topic or just suggest one, just post in the thread. If no one comes forward, I’ll end up picking and finding those who would be willing to write them up.

Anyone? You can say it’s a bad idea even, if you want https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592185.4389-smiley.gif?ttinline=true

Don’t know how I didn’t notice this at first. Grand idea indeed, Todd. I can recall fairly vividly being quite confused about these sorts of things as well as just figuring out the game in general, and help like these I think will certainly be appreciated. I think they will be especially helpful for things that are somewhat specific to TEP, like the Magisterium and Conclave, which even people who have been around NS for a while might not immediately know how they work.

Not certain if I can contribute much, but you certainly have my support!

— Begin quote from ____

Don’t know how I didn’t notice this at first. Grand idea indeed, Todd. I can recall fairly vividly being quite confused about these sorts of things as well as just figuring out the game in general, and help like these I think will certainly be appreciated. I think they will be especially helpful for things that are somewhat specific to TEP, like the Magisterium and Conclave, which even people who have been around NS for a while might not immediately know how they work.

Not certain if I can contribute much, but you certainly have my support!

— End quote

Please do - I can’t and won’t write all of this guide https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592185.4389-smiley.gif?ttinline=true
I’d like for this to be more of a cooperative effort between all of us since I’d like to put this as a link on our WFE and point new nations to this instead of the common flurry of TG’s that ask what our government is like, what is there to do in the region, how do I endorse you, etc. If we had one guide, a TEP guide written for the people by the people, that would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Therefore, if you can think of a topic you’d like to tackle (there are many!) that would be awesome.

We should all probably brainstorm some topics. I know one right now could be about elections, since I’ve been getting a lot of TG’s about those recently.

Here are topics I had in mind:

General:

• Endorsing, Endo Cap
  • WA, WA voting, TEP WA voting
  • Influence

TEP In General

• Citizenship
  • Elections (not when they are of course, but just explaining them in general. How they work, what positions are elected, etc)
  • Newspaper

Roleplay

• What is roleplay
  • Getting on the map
  • Tips on good roleplay
  • Faux Pas to avoid

Magisterium

• Topics decided by Magisters

Conclave

• Topics decided by conclave

Other Positions

• Viziers
  • Tourism Officers

Where to seek help

That’s what I’ve been thinking about so far. How does it look, can anyone suggest more ideas?

I’ve played this game and been in this region for a while now, so it’s a little hard for me to think back to how things were when I first started out. If anyone can remember back to that, what confused you the most, or what do you see as points that could confuse new members?

I think the roleplay facts are dispersed in every direction in the forum, so you can just gather them up to save time a bit. A good thing to collect them and dress them up a bit so that newcomers can come in and jump right into action with little assistance.

— Begin quote from ____

I think the roleplay facts are dispersed in every direction in the forum, so you can just gather them up to save time a bit. A good thing to collect them and dress them up a bit so that newcomers can come in and jump right into action with little assistance.

— End quote

Yeah, roleplay section will be difficult to write, just because it’s so broad. Maybe the best way to attack it is to basically tell folks to not be shy, jump into plots (or start their own), and avoid some common pitfalls like “Mary-Sues” and the likes?

This week I plan on writing more for this little project. I’ll also be asking individuals / groups to help write some sections. I apologize for getting lax on this, but enough’s enough. We’re going to do this.

I wrote a little something on influence over in Canada. If you think it adds anything to Barb’s article then you’re welcome to use it.

— Begin quote from ____

You gain influence independently in each region. You may have been a Hegemony in your own region, but when you get to Canada you start from nothing here. Meanwhile any influence you have elsewhere slowly fades away.

Every day your nation spends in Canada, you gain a little bit of Canadian influence. If you are a WA nation you get more, and for each endorsement you have you get more still.

Over time, you come to have a significant amount of (Canadian) influence. So how does that translate into these odd titles?

Firstly (and this is a common misunderstanding) there is no set amount of influence for each title. Instead, all the influence of all the nations in the region is totalled. Your influence is then rated as a proportion of the total regional influence. If you gain influence (proportionally) faster than everyone else you rise, otherwise you may fall.

The exact figures have not (as far as I know) been published, but my best guess is that each title shows roughly twice the proportion of influence than the one below.

The titles start with Hermit (alone in a region, so all of the influence). Then a Hegemony (over half the influence), all the way down to vassal (between 1/500,000 and 1/1,000,000 if I’m right) and Minnow - anything smaller.

Since Canada has a very stable WA populace, many of whom have been endorsing each other since influence began, you are competing against some huge totals, making it one of the hardest regions in which to advance up the influence ranks. If you can claw your way up to duckspeaker here you are doing very well.

— End quote

Thank you!

Can I request an article on the History of TEP, like before the Concordat.

— Begin quote from ____

Can I request an article on the History of TEP, like before the Concordat.

— End quote

That is indeed a good idea. I was hoping to help find a few of the ‘old folks’ who would be willing to talk and discuss TEP history in September, sort of like a seminar of sorts. But of course, I’d love to read an article regarding TEP history!

All FAQ articles have been split from this topic in preparation for our poor man’s wiki.

TEP Guides

An idea that was started by Todd, modified to the best I could using ZB and now it will be expanded even more by having a real wiki that will truly make an ultimate TEP/NS guide. I had a few projects going and now this one will be put on the front burner. In celebration of TEP’s 15th anniversary all of these will be available in 2018.

This will be a full community project but it will not be opened to everyone to edit unless you are registered. This will keep our wiki secured from spam and the haters alike.

So what I will be looking for right now is reliable people that would like to bring all of our guides to a wiki format and be the people who will help lay the foundations. So anyone who is interested in helping get it off the ground-- please contact me for early access.

This will be for FAQ (and roleplay guides will be coming very soon) and Knowledge Base. Essays will never need to be edited so that would remain on the forum. We could also look into make a TEP dictionary, history of TEP ads and etc. This will not be for anything that is on NSwiki nor for any IC RP related materials since that is forum-only.