Project Longstorm

19th December 2016.
1200 Hours, Xenliada, Redrugus, Staynes.
Conference Room A, 14 attendees.

Nickolas Frost presented a stack of documents in order of importance to the attendees, who were the 14 most important people in the Staynish Armed Forces besides the High-King, who was busy in Aura. He looked around, with confidence.
“Men we must come to a conclusion. It is today that we decide whether we want to go forward with Project Longstorm. You all have read the specifications, you have all read the requirements and you all have knowledge on what our obstacle is. The only thing preventing us from completion is the collection of Barbaric Pirates that live on the border of Spoontuis and along the some of the coast. For many years they have terrorised shipping lanes, for many years they’ve been untouched. In the last four years, they’ve illegally stolen eight of our shipping vessels and from my own knowledge, from many other nations. To achieve Project Longstorm we need to eliminate the threat. This project can land Staynes, and for that matter the ACA a very wealthy annual income, providing this project goes through. Now please, I encourage the conference to debate this matter.”
With that, Nickolas Frost took his seat. An old gentlemen who was known internationally as Sir Zac Hockstone, stood up. He was frail and has a croaky but deep voice.
“I agree with the Chief Overseer. I urge this plan forward.” He sat down.
“Thank you, Sir.” Nick injected.
A younger gentlemen stood up, a keen enthusiast, whom wasn’t known as well as the rest of the council.
“Hello all. Lets suppose, this plan goes ahead. Where will we get our funding from?” He questioned.
Nickolas was quick to talk. “Thank you Gerry. If this plan succeeds, and we have completed all of the necessary requirements to fulfil Project Longstorm, we will ask a reasonable sum from ACA and SEPC members and based on who gives what, will receive a fair share of the income, respectively. These documents are still labelled classified until the obstacles are eliminated and the territory is won. Up until this point, the documents remain classified and no one outside this room will know. Of course, the more funding we receive, the faster the project will be completed and the faster everyone wins. If we don’t receive any exterior funding the project will take as long as sixteen years. If we receive healthy funds, the project could take as little as two. Does that answer your question?”
“Yes. Thank you.” Gerry replied.
A middle aged gentlemen stood up in outrage.
“With all due respect, this is outrageous! Do you really suppose we can get away with the violation of these peoples rights? We cannot find money over humanity here gents. It is simply unacceptable. They own those lands, officially or not.”
Another gentlemen stood up to counter the argument. “Heed the facts that these people are simply Jingoistic terrorists, and have not paid the international community any respect whatsoever, and may I remind you that these people have terrorised Spoontuis for decades, and have even pillaged their northernmost villages. We do not favour these people to live this way any longer. I suggest that we try and reintegrate these people into society. Which would do them a good deed for once!”

Ten minutes passed.

“Enough! I will finalise with a vote. Raise your hands for those in favour.” Nickolas shouted, somehow collectively. The men looked at each other with one writing in his notepad. Several seconds passed and the first hand went up, followed by the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth, finally with a ninth.
“Nine!” Nick noted. “Gentlemen I thank you. Quorum 1/2 has been met. With nine out of fourteen voting FOR. Begin the rally tomorrow. Tomorrow, we begin talks, and Friday we set the sails.” Some of the audience jeered, liking his reference. [edit_reason]Wrong date![/edit_reason]

Forty minutes after the conference concluded, Nickolas Frost sent invitations to all ACA and SEPC nations (as well as neutral non allied nations) to a meeting in Redrugus at 1000 hours on the 20th December 2016, listing the benefits and specifically identifying an apology for short notice. [edit_reason]edit[/edit_reason]

Nimona received a message from Frost midway through an evening meeting with Caroline Dean.

After reading the message, she turned it to her foreign secretary. “Are you going, or shall I?”

Caroline cleared her schedule for the date of the meeting, and went home to pack her things.

Several hours after recieving the message, Leon Jolva was already in a private jet over the west coast of Staynes heading to Redrugus. His schedule was unusually bare over the next few days, so it was no pain for him to drop everything and head off to the meeting. During the flight he noticed several streaks of light across the sky, scraps of debris from Myriad still falling out of orbit.

“Hmm, I wonder what the situation is with our satellites?” he thought, tapping away at a laptop. “Morsil’s been rather quiet after the incident, I should have Jargk invigilate him,” He continued, sending a quick message to the chief overseer, and relaxing back into his seat…

Five hours after receiving message from Staynes, Lord Governor Fredrik Constantine, was on his way to Redrugus. Besides him there was two people in his jet. Commander of the 1st fast response division, Colonel Cassius of House Custodian and Lucas Brom, leader of the Caltharusian Intelligence Bureau.

“Are your soldiers ready Cassius?” Fredrik asked.

“Of course they are, sir. When the king calls we answer”, Cassius answered in quickly and laconically. Then he looked at his watch, and spoke again: “in thirty minutes they’ll start traveling towards Redrugus”. Fredrik smiled when hearing this answer. Cassius truly was the right man for the job, in just five hours from receiving the information, fast response unit was already ready to move.

“Exellent, Lucas please inform me if you get some new information from Staynes”.

“Of course, sir”, Lucas answered.

While the Jet rushed on Fredrik turned his mind towards the coming meeting …

Drugov sighed upon receiving the invitation. Rurik would’ve loved this, instead of what was probably interminable argument after argument with Fire Pact ambassadors.
Well, he’d obviously have to send someone.
Not a general, as someone diplomatic would be a far better choice here. But someone with some military experience, which possibly could impress the Staynish official…
Anton it is. Ambassador Anton Valinov would have to be temporarily recalled from Emberwood, of course, but that was only a minor hiccup. Drugov drummed his fingers on his desk, then began making the necessary preparations.

The Executive Building in Tuvaltastan:
Again, Eknol was rushing through crowds of personnel to get to Mrs. Petrovavich’s office. It seemed like that all she did nowadays was run around delivering messages, “Mrs. Petrovavich, a message has come in for you.”
Petrovavich read the message from Staynes, and said to Eknol, “Would you be fine with taking my place at this meeting? I have too much to do for the next few days.”

“Of course Commander.”

“Thank you Eknol. I know I’ve been having you run around for the past few days, and just know that what you do is extremely important.”

“I know, Commander. Thank you for giving me this job, it’ll be a nice change of pace.”

Mr. Orevon’s house in Kostromastan:

Robert Orevon received through his email a message from Staynes. It had been a while since anything interesting happened in Kostromastan, and he immediately cleared his schedule, and instead bought a ticket straight to Redrugus.

Outside the World Meeting Building in Baykalia:

Lady Posol, after being in a meeting to discuss how Baykalia should respond to the recent events internationally, found out she had gotten a message from the Kingdom of Staynes. She had little happening this week, and took up the offer to go to Redrugus.

Office of Foreign Affairs in Tivot:

Ivan Trikolovich was just recently elected to the position of Secretary of Foreign Affairs, as his predecessor had been waist-deep in a scandal that had cost her job. Nonetheless, Ivan took this opportunity as a chance to show how good of a Secretary he would be. Since he was new, he didn’t have any meetings, so bought a ticket to Redrugus that night.

After receiving an invitation from Nickolas Frost about Project Longstorm, King James VIII has agreed to attend the meeting and has booked the quickest flight for Staynes as he is very curious

((WARNING! ATTENTION! CAUTION! THIS POST CONTAINS A LIGHT, GRAPHIC REFERENCE! READ AT YOU OWN RISK!))

Mister Leader II leaned back in his chair, considering his options. He didn’t have many.
With all the diplomatic crap and martial law banishment protests he’d had to deal with this week, both his Cupboard (Cabinet) and closest trustees were stretched thin.
He did have one more person, though. And perhaps he was best for the job, anyway. He’d dealt with things to this effect before.

After hearing the news, Beartrot briskly loaded his massive pack onto the small of his back, not needing to strain himself due to his amazingly good health. Being in the Air Force seems to help.
The tall and heavily-built statue of a man was ready and willing for his future meeting. In fact, he couldn’t wait. It seemed like the first assignment that didn’t involve blowing someone’s head off with a revolver or air-raiding tiny, defenseless towns on isolated prairies in classified locales.
This would be just fine.
— Begin quote from ____

Mister Leader II, Friend of Mine
I have you covered, like usual. Heading over now, hope to be back in Dropdatderp in a few days, Civilmagna right after.
Of course,
BRTT

— End quote

20th December 2016.
1000 Hours, Xenliada, Redrugus, Staynes.
Conference Room D, 11 attendees.

Nickolas Frost looked warmly at the many faces who had just turned up. Nickolas was the first to start.
“Well thank you for attending, ladies and gentlemen. Make yourself comfortable. Refreshments are at whenever you require, and if you so need to, I’m sure you all know where the toilets are. If you don’t, through the corridor, third door down to your left, along the corridor again and the ladies are on the right and the men’s are on the left if you so much as to need it.” He coughed and stacked up the same classified documents into a neat pile ready to talk about. “As you know I’ve invited you all here today to discuss Project Longstorm. You may have heard of it, I doubt you know about it.” a pause. “Project Longstorm is a multi-billion Kirib project aimed at allowing trade to prosper by excavating and reinforcing a canal, which would cut across the shortest part of the continent that would maximise effectiveness. This is located above Spoontuis, where King James VIII is from.” Nickolas gestured kindly at the monarch. “Sadly, with every good idea, there is always something that tries to stop you. Now this is a disputed and non-official band of Jingoistic Barbaric Pirates, who have terrorised the waters in and around Spoontuis on both the South Concordian Ocean and the Packilvanian Ocean. Of course, they’re entitled to human rights, but on behalf of Spoontuis and this gigantic project we need to eliminate those who are threats.” Nickolas paused, signalled someone who had remained hidden since this point, and recognising his task he flicked on the projector, which had been waiting to reveal its image. Nickolas walked over to the image which was on the wall with a ruler in hand. “You will know what this is, this is Arcturia. The light shade of blue represents the areas where we have identified large areas of piracy and pirate colonisation. The dark blue, which includes all of the light blue represents the land required to neutralise the pirate threat and establish Project Longstorm. The canal, which we have digitally imprinted where it is planned, is the colour of the oceans that cut through and meet with the lake. We have estimated that travelling around the continent south would take 3-5 hours more, whilst travelling north would take 4-6 hours more to get to the Bai Lung, Staynes and Axdel area to South East Gondwana. Whilst that area is not highly populated, we believe in no time at all it will be and we should begin development as soon as possible. This canal can produce billions if there were even a small tax set on those who use it and it can be greatly beneficial to those who do. Again, there is the annoyance of having pirates that will target ships that use the canal if they are not neutralised.” Nick stopped. “Once this project is complete, those nations who support the neutralisation of the jingoistic pirates will be given a respective percentage of the annual income of the supercanal. Hopefully we can reintegrate those less barbaric families into society, or give them the opportunity to do so.” He paused. “I urge any discussion to take place, thank you.” Nick sat down and took a dozen gulps of water.

“Considering the distance from Mexregiona to Aurora, this canal may have a reduced use to my nation,” Beartrot started. “However, due to future trade expansion that may take place in my nation, and the dangerous waters that inhabit the Pacific Ocean, not to mention its relatively high number of pirates it has itself, I have reason to believe that the construction may actually turn out to be beneficial. That being said, I have extensive knowledge when it has to do with Mexregiona’s military, and I could see the country taking on these pirates. Speaking from my heart, however, I think it’d be much more efficient to simply exterminate these goons; I don’t see much use in rehabilitation. They’ll probably be thieving purses afterward, anyway.”

Beartrot isn’t very lenient, it seems.

Eknol raised her hand and asked, “Would it not make more sense to have the ACA-SEPC Alliance occupy the suggested region rather than having one country take control? I cannot help but be worried about monopolization.”

Orevon sat quietly in the corner. He had the same concern as Trimola Eknol, so simply nodded in agreement with Eknol’s question.

Lady Posol looked up from her lap, and announced, “You’re calculations of time cuts are drastically off, sir, but not in a bad way. This canal would save something closer to a time cut of 1-3 days, rather than 1-3 hours. This canal is a very smart idea, but I must also express the same concern put up by Mrs. Eknol. I do believe that only Staynish control of the canal tips the benefits slightly to you and your country.”

Trikolovich: “If the ACA-SEPC Alliance is in this together, then it should be occupied as such. I agree with Posol and Eknol.”

“I agree with them” Leon spoke, standing up from his seat. “This project would certainly provide great benefits to not only the ACA/SEPC, but all other nations on Urth as well, and thus this project should have joint ownership to ensure that no single nation takes advantage. However, we have noticed the land you wish to claim lies on a deposit of rare metals including gold, did you have plans to exploit this for yourself as well?”

“Yes, a joint venture would be superior in this effort.” Caroline Dean spoke up from her seat. “And Aura could certainly be used as a staging point for allied navies, and cut response times should any hostile forces attack.”

Nick tapped his microphone. “Yes. Understandably, the concern for monopolisation is there. The designing body behind the supercanal had expressed the concern behind shared occupation. The biggest concern would be, that in case of the collapse of the SEPC-ACA alliance, where one or more of the shareholder nations exited on bad terms, that their share could henceforth be abused, with such possibilities of a particular nation legitimately having the legal capabilities of establishing blockades, messing around with the landscape, ownership’s of farmland and the list goes on. The original plans were that it was to be Staynish territory, because the plan had been under development for several decades.” Frost took a sip of water. “Allowing all of these countries power to do what they please would result in unheard of havoc, not to mention the plans are of Staynish ownership. However, His Majesty Lambertus VII has told me in this case that he were up for compromise. He wished that those countries who help, get a fixed percentage of the annual income. He has stated that in case this is not plausible (first option), he is OK for a fixed percentage of the annual income is split equally within the ACA and SEPC nations, with those who are more in need having a higher percentage. Think of it like this, a beaver comes up with the strongest structure for a dam. He is willing to share the water but he wants more water than the people who didn’t design it. Now obviously the reason I’ve called you here today was to discuss everything possible about the project. The lowest percentage of income we are willing to negotiate is that Staynes and its territories take 20% with a default 5% of that towards the repairs and upkeep of the canal and surrounding areas with 80% split equally amongst the other nations. Remember, this is still a huge amount even when it is split equally. To counter monopolisation, His Majesty Lambertus VII suggested that there should be agreed rules for members involved that would bring forward a council of administration for the canal, so the people who own it cannot change anything drastically without mutual consent from the board.” Nick paused and started again. “Hello Mr. Jolva. The authorities have discovered gold in the south east of the claimed territories and have claimed that, however there is ever spreading news that there is a lot more to be discovered. Also, we have discovered a small oil reserve which we have claimed.” Nick then turned to Beartrot. “Thanks for letting us know you’re on board.” Nick smiled.

OOC: Let me know if I forgot anything. I am sure I have.

“Fair, it is a Staynish-led operation.” Caroline said.

“How will we respond to pirate incursions on the canal? What navy will be responsible?”

Fredrik stood up and spoke:“I agree with the last speaker, after all this is a Staynish led operation, so it is only fair for them to have at least a share of 20%. However, how will we subdue the pirates that have colonized some of those areas?”

Silent until now, Ambassador Valinov looked around the assembled diplomats. “The Strataric navy, I’m sure, would be more than happy to deal with this rabble should they prove hostile.”

“As would the ECN. But what I would like to know, is what do you want us to contribute, Mister Frost?”

“Well. I gathered you all here to discuss how we should get rid of the threat; the pirates. I have had many options put on my desk. From tactical elimination squads, airstrikes, gas, eviction notice, etcetera. None of these strike me as pro-human rights, which SEPC is. I believe to follow SEPC guidelines (based that the majority nations assisting this campaign is SEPC members) we must somehow, try to reintegrate these peoples into our society. Which would mean jailing the ones that break accustomed laws and teaching them and their children our way of life. Now this is all do-dah dandy, but we would have to heavily finance town builds around the country fitted with everything a town needs. Now as for defending the building of the canal and the canal when it is operational, I believe the Staynish Navy is fit for the job. However, across the rest of the country we will need land and naval units, to defend the canal and bring order to the pirates. The Staynish Army currently cannot be outfitted with that job on their own without risking the defence of our own nation. I was hoping, bring you here today that I could gather assistance for this.” Nick said.[edit_reason]rip[/edit_reason]