Radio Free Wasteland

<static>
<static>
<static>
<static>
<CLICK>

"-thing on? Oh, hey, the sign’s up! We got the generator back! Awesome. Ahem.

Hey, everybody out there! This is 1020 MOAI, The Island, with your host, DJ DS! We apologize for the break in the broadcasting, but there was something wrong with out solar panels. Our trusty technician, Mike, managed to fix them, and we’re back on the air! Well, for now.

Now, onto news. For anybody still alive within proximity that’s listening to this station, there’s been a new development on the rumored raider camp right off of M5 near Babel. Apparently, a group of vigilantes calling themselves ‘The Saved’ have scouted out the area, only to encounter sniper fire and molotovs. Suffice it to say, stay away from the M5. Avoid it completely if possible! Babel’s deserted, anyway, or so we hear.

If that’s the bad news, then this is the good news. A few benevolent scavvie souls have set up camp right by our humble station in New Veter, and are giving supplies to those who need them. Come by and negotiate, or if you want some karma on your side, donate what you’ve got!

And, as always, if you EVER have any information, you can reach us physically, or by HAM radio at 1620 kHz.

We’re gonna go ahead and start off the hour with some Eric Clapton, followed by Hendrix. Yes, yes, I know it’s a lot of import stuff, but bear with me. Later, we’ll have our weekly sermon with Father Spector, and some helpful tips with wasteland expert Eugene Juster.

This is DJ DS, telling you to stay cool, stay safe, and stay alert."

<<Interference>>

“Hello, hello?!” Yudesi shouted as he raked a fleshy hand throgh his hair. “This is VZIN, broadcasting from Iruk, is anyone out there? We’ve experienced some kind of catastrophe! Hello!”

He had managed to hook the radio up to CB broadcast as well, hoping for a response. He left the airwaves dead for a while, allowing anyone who wanted to say anything a clear voice, but his anxiousness to speak quickly waylaid any hope of patience.

“Come on! Someone has to be out there! Something’s happened to the city. For those who might be outside the city limits, there’s something that’s caused the vulpine population to act really odd! At least, I think it’s vulpine people. Don’t believe me? Listen to this!” He pointed the mic toward the window opened just a crack as a cacophony of security window sirens, car alarms, and screams littered the air. “It’s maddening! Anyone out there? Has the Vekaiyun military been called in yet? Please respond!”

He waited for the airwaves to speak back to him, but still nothing. He shut the window and returned to sit against the door of the studio. “I’m at a loss for words,” he said in a much calmer tone. “It’s hell out there. The Almighty has punished the city of Iruk, and they’re all cursed by something.” He looked out to a collection of compact discs. “I’d play music, and I know we’re deviating from our regularly scheduled broadcast, but these are dire times! Come on! Anyone there at al??!”

Explosions rocked the building as last surviving reporters of Allegheny’s state media broad-casted the news to those still left alive. Suddenly heavily armed men with assault rifles began mowing down the people in the room. The death cries of 5 men and women echoed across the airwaves.

“Hey Richter! This things still on the air!”

Richter a large muscular man with an eye patch on his left eye took the microphone.

“This station is now under control of Cerberus, all of those left under Union control shall surrender their arms and fall under our new order! Your President is dead, the capital is captured and the plague rages on. There is no hope left for your non-existent government or for those who follow under it’s banner. Allegheny is now free from the grips of the globalists and Cerberus stands to unite this country once more! This station will now serve our agendas and our people.”

Richter inserted a CD containing Brahms’ Violin Concerto movement 3.

“Sir we have someone coming over the citizen’s band, sounds like someone from Vekaiyu. Shall I respond?”

“Do it.” Richter said. “Tell them they will die to!”

— Begin quote from ____

“Come on! Someone has to be out there! Something’s happened to the city. For those who might be outside the city limits, there’s something that’s caused the vulpine population to act really odd! At least, I think it’s vulpine people. Don’t believe me? Listen to this!” He pointed the mic toward the window opened just a crack as a cacophony of security window sirens, car alarms, and screams littered the air. “It’s maddening! Anyone out there? Has the Vekaiyun military been called in yet? Please respond!”

— End quote

“Hello there friend! Here is what you gotta do: go to the roof, then… jump off the building face first!” said the nameless grunt as he cackled loudly into the microphone.

The sound of static issued forth from the empty desert. Nay, not completely empty; a lone hut stood among the shifting sand dune and sandy gales. Three figures were crouching inside the dark hut, listening to the crackling static of a beaten-up radio.

“Dhabran 87! Kazfa ! Auri fi radio!”

A bearded man with a scar across his face took the earphone from his colleague and listened in to the noisy broadcast.

— Begin quote from ____

" … benevolent scavvie souls have set up camp right by our humble station in New Veter, and are giving supplies to those who need them. Come by and negotiate, or if you want some karma on your side, donate what you’ve …"

— End quote

The sand gale escalated into a full storm, snuffing out the radio transmission before it came alive again.

— Begin quote from ____

“Hello, hello?!”
“This is VZIN, broadcasting from Iruk, is anyone out there? We’ve experienced some kind of catastrophe! Hello!”

“… maddening! Anyone out there? Has the Vekaiyun military been called in yet? Please respond!”

“… me on! Anyone there at al??!”

— End quote

The scar-faced man turned off the radio.

“Eloqia en English, eh? In fidelia mawti, lachrimosa mawti in situ. Hmm, splendid. Come, brothers. Grab your swords and books. It’s time to show them the Way to salvation!”

All three men in the hut then nodded, as if in a silent agreement over something. And then as mysteriously as they appeared, the men crawled out of their hut and disappeared amidst the increasingly hostile sand storm.

(“… hey! Hey! Hey, Dai!”
“mnh… what?”
“Dude, you’ve got another broadcast to do. It’s almost 5:00.”
“Oh. Right.”)

The last few strains of Won’t Get Fooled Again die out…
"… and that was The Who with Won’t Get Fooled Again. For those of you just tuning in, this is DJ DS on 1020 MOAI, The Island, your one-stop station for everything post-apocalyptic.

It seems that there’s been a bit of a lull in the rumor mill as people have become strangely silent about any goingons on other islands. Either there’s nothing happening, or there’s somebody that doesn’t want us to know. But it’s not my job to speculate.

Either way, our friendly scavvies are still accepting any sort of donations, no matter how paltry. Keep those supplies coming!

For events on Kestrel, we’ve- oh, hold on, Mike’s here…"

(“Yo, Dai! HAM’s picking up some sort of transmission.” “For real?” “Yeah, check it out…”

— Begin quote from ____

“… INFORMATION AT THIS TIME. MESSAGE REPEATS. THIS IS THE CAPITAL DISTRICT BROADCASTING ON 1620 KHZ. THE CAPITAL DISTRICT IS NOT A SAFE ZONE. REPEAT. THE CAPITAL DISTRICT IS NOT A SAFE ZONE. GOVERNMENT IS RELOCATED TO CAPITAL SHIP OFF SHORE. DEEMED SAFE ZONES ARE: [garblegarblegarblegarblegarblegarblegarblegarblestaticstatic]”

— End quote

“… deep.”)

"Er… right… we’ve just received word over our HAM radio that the Capital District is now a wasteland, with some automated message running across most local HAM frequencies. If you’re anywhere near the southern tip of Kestrel Island, go ahead and tune in… all we could get before the signal cut out was that, yeah, the CD is done for, the government is on some ship, and there’s a list of safe zones… somewhere.

… Oh, right, music! Now for something local… here’s Anything But Everything with their hit single, “Yes Or No”.".

(“Holy crap, we just lost the capital.”

“Kinda hits you hard, huh, Dai?”

“Yeah. Hits you like a brick.”)

crackling static

“… la tufarrak deos! Ah? Nam, hwa radio est? Ahem…”

“Denizens of the Wasteland! Hear ye! The world that you know of has existed no more! It has collapsed as a result of your own hubris and worldly desires! Know that this is the Creator’s wrath towards our ever increasing sins!”

crackling static
knocks

“…know that for those of you alive out there, you are alive NOT because of the Creator’s mercy, but because He has made for you a hell on earth for you to suffer! Be thankful that He had delivered swift freedom to those who perished earlier!”

“To those who want to submit themselves to the mercy of the Even-handed Master, please come to the fields near the southeastern end of the Capital District. Come and gladly chain yourself to the welcoming shackles of slavery under the merciless glory of the one and only Creator! Know that you can only attain freedom under a life of perpetual service to the Master of the Universes!”

crackling static

“…or the Servant-drivers would come and deliver to you early freedom from life, via a slow and meticulous slash to your neck!”

crackling static
knocks

— Begin quote from ____

“Denizens of the Wasteland! Hear ye! The world that you know of has existed no more! It has collapsed as a result of your own hubris and worldly desires! Know that this is the Creator’s wrath towards our ever increasing sins!”
“…know that for those of you alive out there, you are alive NOT because of the Creator’s mercy, but because He has made for you a hell on earth for you to suffer! Be thankful that He had delivered swift freedom to those who perished earlier!”
“To those who want to submit themselves to the mercy of the Even-handed Master, please come to the fields near the southeastern end of the Capital District. Come and gladly chain yourself to the welcoming shackles of slavery under the merciless glory of the one and only Creator! Know that you can only attain freedom under a life of perpetual service to the Master of the Universes!”
“…or the Servant-drivers would come and deliver to you early freedom from life, via a slow and meticulous slash to your neck!”

— End quote

(“… nks for the recording… wow. I’ll, uh, talk to the scavvie camp out there, tell them Dai said to give you a gift.” “No problem.”
retreating footsteps
“… Hell in a handbasket. MIKE!”
“Yeah?”
"Get your ass over here! We got news!)

kfffff k-pop bweeeeee KSHHHHH- "-back to 1020 MOAI, The Island. I’m DJ DS… and we’ve just got an update on the situation in the Capital District.
"This… this might disturb you.
"We’ve just received a recording of some militant religious cult who appear to have taken over the Capital District… and they seem to want either your lifelong servitute or just your life.

"A quick tip from all of us at MOAI… don’t go to the Capital District. Unless you want your head in a collar (and hey, some of you people out there are into that, and that’s fine), just… stay here. Or head east, across the sea… people are saying that the British Grand Pacific is nice this time of year.

“… or… or at least it would have been had none of this SHIT happened…”

“I… I’m gonna put on some Tears for Fears. You go enjoy this, I’m gonna have a moment…”

Tears for Fears’s “Mad World” starts playing.

(“God, I… I dunno how long I can keep doing this.”
“pshh. You think God had anything to do with this?”
“Oh, come on. It’s a figure of speech.”

sob)

crackling static

“… the almighty Master still awaits the coming of those who cried for salvation! He …”

crackling static

long and loud atonal beep

“… will come to your pathetic tents and shelters when you are least aware of us, with blades thirsting for …”

short and loud atonal beep

"… will be there to forcefully chain you into submission! We … "

crackling static

" … to save everyone, by publicly executing …"

long noisy static
knocks

" … and we come in peace! For the glory of the Creator!"

short beep

((Point for mentioning a Tears for Fears song there, Kasu))

Yudesi continued to guard his post in the broadcasting booth, keeping the airways silent just in case anyone, anywhere was still out there. Hopefully by now a report from Eldura would come through… but so far, just static.

— Begin quote from ____

“…there friend! Here is what you gotta do: go to the roof, then… jump off the building face first!”

— End quote

“Hello, hello!” he shouted, initially ignoring the odd response, but as he returned to leaving the airways silent once more, he began to ponder its meaning. “Either it’s some prank, or other areas are feeling the same effects. But if they’re in the same state as Iruk, what does that mean? People just don’t suddenly snap like this, do they? And why am I talking out loud like this?”

Still, the airwaves remained silent.

“Let me increase the signal strength!” He ran to the control post and turned a knob a few turns clockwise. He could only reach it with an outstretched arm, though, as he refused to let go of the microphone. “Hello! Hello! This is VZIN from Iruk, Vekaiyu. Is anyone out there?”

— Begin quote from ____

ult of your own hubris and worldly desires! Know that this is the Creator’s wrath towards our ever increasing sins!

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

… don’t go to the Capital District. Unless you want your head in a collar (and hey, some of you people out there are into that, and that’s fine), just… stay here. Or head east, across the sea… people are saying that the British Grand Pacific is nice this time of year.

— End quote

“British Grand Pacific?” He shouted, then removed his finger from the ‘on’ button of the mic. While one hand raked through his hair, the other set to work attempting to turn the signal toward the source of the two separate signals. While his geography wasn’t perfect, he at least knew British Grand Pacific and the Capital District were east. A few quick switches and knobs focused the signal in that direction. While it was only a radio station, hopefully it should work.

“Hello! This is VZIN from Iruk, Vekaiyu! We are experiencing a very unusual catastrophe. There’s chaos, death, and destruction! We need assistance over here! Would someone inform us as to if there are any occurrences such as this elsewhere across the globe? We-” He suddenly stopped. He could hear someone, or perhaps a group of people, nearing the hallway to the recording booth…

— Begin quote from ____

“Hello! This is VZIN from Iruk, Vekaiyu! We are experiencing a very unusual catastrophe. There’s chaos, death, and destruction! We need assistance over here! Would someone inform us as to if there are any occurrences such as this elsewhere across the globe? We-”

— End quote

(“Dude! DUDE! Wake the FUCK up! We have contact! Honest to god contact!”
“wh… What? For serious?”
“Yes, for serious!”
“Is it another station?”)

kfffffffffhhhhhhsssssssssvvvn…

"Hello, hello, VZIN, this is 1020 MOAI, operating out of New Veter, Kestrel Island, Meshef. We read you loud and… well, mostly clear. Little bit of static.
Chaos, death, and destruction? It sounds like it’s a bit more violent where you are… out here, it’s more of a passive wasteland rather than an out-and-out war. However… as far as I can tell, we can’t get any aid to you, so all I can say is… good luck.

I have a feeling you’ll need it."

kfffP

(“Where did he say he was from?”
“Vekaiyu.” “That fox place?”
“Yeah. I think we’ve gotten some immigrants from there recently… though this guy is speaking perfect English. Hmm…”)

"… aaand we’re back to 1020 MOAI, The Island. I’m DJ DS, and we have some breaking news… though it’s not the best.

We just received a radio transmission from Vekaiyu, out in the Pacific Mainland… somebody got the to the station there and is sending out a distress call. For any vulpines out in Meshef that have relatives back home… I would not advise attempting to go back, as it appears they have some sort of major, violent conflict going on."

(“What the hell did he mean by ‘very unusual catastrophe’, anyway?”)

— Begin quote from ____

…IN, this is 1020 MOAI, operating out of New Veter, Kestrel Island, Meshef. We read you loud and… well, mostly clear. Little bit of static.

— End quote

“Meshef?” he thought to himself as he tried to draw a map in his head. “Let’s see… there’s the mainland, and then Free Pacific States, then the Capital… it must be around there. Perhaps that’s what they meant by the capital!” He paused and brought a hand to his chin. “Of course… I suppose they could mean Meshef’s capital…”

He was nearly ready to switch on the mic again when more of the message buzzed in the recording studio.

— Begin quote from ____

Chaos, death, and destruction? It sounds like it’s a bit more violent where you are… out here, it’s more of a passive wasteland rather than an out-and-out war. <static> we can’t get any aid to you, so all I can say is… good luck. I have a feeling you’ll need it."

— End quote

The blasts from outside were suppressed by the thick walls of the studio, but they still could be heard during the transmission. He decided to try to answer the transmission, but he had no idea what good it would do. It looked like he was stuck here for the time being. Apparently this was something more exclusive to his region. Or at least not present on Meshef.

“We’re having some trouble here,” he finally chimed in. “People are insane here… like they’re possessed. I don’t know what happened, but as I look outside my window… it’s a mess out there. The vulpines… acting like animals out there, no amount of decency they pride themselves over. Have we been cursed?” He clicked off the mic. He had no idea how to really finish his makeshift ‘report’, but it at least established that the whole area around him seemed to be in a state of hellish disarray.

— Begin quote from ____

“People are insane here… like they’re possessed. I don’t know what happened, but as I look outside my window… it’s a mess out there. The vulpines… acting like animals out there, no amount of decency they pride themselves over. Have we been cursed?”

— End quote

kfffff- “Cursed? Hell, I dunno, it seems like you’ve definitely got a different situation going on out there. Er… as far as we’ve been able to tell, none of our vulpine population has been affected… right?”

(“Right, Mike?” “Right. As far as we’ve heard.”)

“Right. Er… VZIN, any news I can get to you about whatever’s going on, I’ll pass to you. In the meantime… think about barricading the station. MOAI out.”

fffffffvweeee “This is 1020 MOAI, The Island, with a special request. I know that a few of you guys have migrated from Vekaiyu and Listonia, and would like to have any and all vulpines who can hear this message to find us in New Veter, out by the ruins of the Spectre Tower. And yes, this does concern the situation in Vekaiyu.
DS out.”

— Begin quote from ____

Calling all in transit, calling all skkt -sit
Radio skkt Pacific

Decide yourself, calling skkt the medias too fast

Keep me skkt -try in the world
Disappoint is unto us ab- skkt

— End quote

“I dunno, Sarge. It might’ve gotten out.”

“Pack it up, Corporal. Let’s get moving before the apes figure out we’re here.”