Rise From Ashes

The Tolorian Empire was no longer an empire. It was more of a state now. Around 76 years ago, the last parts of the vast empire fell through wars for independence and through wars by other expansionist countries. The once-great nation was now a former shell of itself. After its last territory was taken, it was taken over by another nation. This nation treated the people harshly and viewed them as slaves. This was seen as a punishment for attempting to conquer the world.

After a few years, the nation controlling the Tolorian state decreased in power and eventually granted Tolorians their independence. While some may think this would be a good thing for the country, it was the exact opposite. Those that came into power were corrupt leaders, incapable of running a country. There was a power struggle between government officials, leaving the citizens to not respect the government. There was self-governance among the population, most did not respect authority. There were few good police men in the country, most took bribes to do certain things. Government leaders usually took tax money and spent it on themselves and lived a wealthy lifestyle while others were starving in the streets. After gaining their independence, the Tolorian nation became a backwards country. It was very individualistic. They had no real contact with other nations, no alliances, no trade agreements, nor any embassies.

About 2 years ago, Mubarak Hara came into power. He established himself as the absolute ruler and “disposed” of any opposition he ran in to. He transformed the Tolorian Empire into a totalitarian state.

“Fellow countrymen, my name is Kumpo(supreme leader) Mubarak Hara. My rise to power is not a mistake. I was meant to be here. I know you may fear this new change to a totalitarian regime, but it is for your benefit. This country is in turmoil, but I will bring it back to its former glory. I will boost our economy, I will expand our borders, I will make nations of the world tremble when they hear the name of Toloria! But you must help me. You must support me and do what I tell you for this to work. I promise I will return this country to its rightful place as a world power.”

After that speech, the Kumpo began working on the promises he made. He has somewhat brought the economy to a decent level. He has started building trade ports and merchant ships, and he will soon start reaching out to other nations for trade agreements. He has built the armed forces up very well. They have great discipline and marksmanship. The Navy is a sheer force of power and has intelligent officers. The Air Force, however, is behind and most of the planes are old and in disrepair and need to be replaced. Society has bought into the Kumpo’s words, and all who disagree are thrown in prison and tried as a traitor. The Tolorian Empire is improving and the Kumpo wishes to begin expanding its borders soon.

“Fellow Tolorians, I come before you today with tremendous honor. You all are the reason I look forward to leading this country. I look upon you and I see greatness. I care for each and every one of you. All of you are meant for greatness. That is why I have decided to start expanding our borders. 500 years ago, our ancestors built one of the greatest empires known to man. They were the First Dera(empire) and we will be the Second Dera(idea from the First, Second, and Third Reich in Germany.) We will conquer all the lesser nations and they will tremble before us. Once we conquer them, we will make them our slaves so they will do our bidding. We are the greatest civilization on this planet! We will rid the world of these democratic nations that promise a false peace. We will show them! Because we will not be defeated! Pola del Toloria (Long live Toloria!!) The new age of the Second Dera has begun. I, your Kumpo, will lead you to the green pastures. Our time is now!”

The Kumpo finished his speech, and the chants “Pola dal Toloria” arose amongst the 15,000 civilians crowded into the town square. The Kumpo was a very eloquent, charismatic speaker. He made the people believe, no matter how absurd he sounded. He told the people what they wanted to hear and bent the truth. He demanded total submission from them, and those who did not comply were harshly dealt with. During the speech, the people hung on his every word. They worshipped him. They did anything that he asked them to do. And they believed every word he said.

The Kumpo left the town square and headed towards his main office. He called the General of the Armed Forces.
“General, mobilize Army Group A and Army Group B and send them to the western border. Gather Army Group C and prep them for a possible mobilization. Army Group D will keep a defensive front on the southern and eastern part of the country. General, I need you to be sharp now. Because General, we are beginning the rebuilding of our empire. The invasion will begin as soon as everyone is in position.”