rm -rf /

rm -rf /

2020-07-10 / 1346-kr-19

[justify]In the central business district of Aduraszna’s capital city, Raszeran, the coffee shops were open all night long, save for a short half-hour at around three in the morning for the purposes of cleaning and restocking. For Sari’ad, this was really quite convenient. Her sleep schedule in recent months had had her waking up at a time where almost everything else in the city was completely dead, and falling asleep right after dinner to the soothing sounds of the evening news telling her about all the numerous ways in which Urth was falling apart, which it seemed to be doing a lot faster all of a sudden.[/justify]

[justify]When Sari’ad sat down at her preferred table near the window at the Idunaro Café, she knew she didn’t have to place an order; they already knew what she wanted. And although something like a latte would typically set you back five russ, she had an agreement with the man that ran the place – she fixed their computers whenever they broke, which was frequently, and she would get coffees on the house when she visited, which was also frequently. As a computer programmer, not an IT technician, this wasn’t exactly her speciality, but nine times out of ten it was a password that needed resetting or a cable that had been jostled out of position.[/justify]

[justify]Still half-asleep, she checked the time. Quarter to four. Perfect. She could get in a solid three hours of whatever it was she felt like doing before ordering breakfast (with another free coffee, of course), and then heading off to her place of work, Caslun T. It was a fairly large info-tech corporation – at the very least, it was large enough to require its own office building in one of Raszeran’s many industrial parks – and dealt in what its beloved jargon-buzzword-corporation language would call “bespoke technological solutions”. This translated into Codexian roughly as “we will code a computer program for you”. Like nearly every prominent info-tech company, it had recently become a subsidiary of the Nordenpuntian computing behemoth, Cluster, not that she had noticed much change outside the slightly obnoxious font choices that had been imposed on them. They’d even been allowed to keep their name. Nobody knew what the “T.” in the name stood for, allegedly, not even the CEO, a rather boring old elf by the name of Narusz. One hundred and thirty was very much pushing it for a zrei elf, but he kept himself healthy through what was apparently a fairly unappetising diet of chickpeas, kale and sardines. He was old enough to have fought in the Great War, when the Morstopackian-backed Empire of Zreiru’a conquered its way across the continent of Borea, and once the War ended and all the Morstopackian soldiers went home, collapsed in a wave of revolutions. Narusz had fought in The Realignment, as the wave was called in Aduraszna, although he had never said for which side.[/justify]

[justify]Sari’ad plugged her laptop into the three-pin socket on the wall and opened the screen. It lit up with a photo of the Raszerani skyline at night, which she had taken while on the ferry to visit some of her relatives across the bay. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen, an animated icon popped up: the face of an androgynous zrei elf, in a traditional sci-fi light blue colour palette. The artist had even added horizontal dark stripes for a retro CRT monitor effect, even though people had stopped using CRT monitors decades ago. “Welcome back, Sari’ad!” chirped the computer’s speakers as the screen displayed a few frames of the face’s mouth opening and closing. It was a clearly artificial voice, and she preferred it that way, even though much better and more realistic speech synthesis software was available. Doing it “properly” didn’t really have the effect she was looking for.[/justify]

[justify]With an “oop”, Sari’ad muted the laptop. She hadn’t dug out her headphones from her bag yet and didn’t want to disturb everyone else in the Idunaro Café. Embarrassed, she took a quick look around the place and found that “everyone else” was, in fact, just Tsólnesz, the barista, who was busying himself with the overly intricate coffee machine on the other side of the shop. If he had noticed, he didn’t say anything.[/justify]

[justify]In the corner of the screen, another three-frame animation played – the first two were of a disembodied hand closing a zip that had appeared over the blue elf face’s mouth, and the third was that face winking, smiling, and doing a thumbs up. Sari’ad laughed quietly to herself – she’d forgotten she’d put that animation in. “Thanks, Russie,” she whispered, before realising she was talking to her own computer program again, and shaking her head. Calling the avatar “Russie” wasn’t even her idea, it was a friend of hers who had recommended the nickname after deciding that its full name, Rusnjal Itanrei (Vaaran for “computer assistant”) was too long-winded.[/justify]

[justify]And apparently, Russie had heard – or at least, the microphone on her laptop was on – because a “no problem!” appeared in its signature light blue just above its still-grinning face. Clearly, Russie had not yet been programmed to correctly interpret and process sarcasm.[/justify]

[justify]And apparently, Tsólnesz had also heard, and let out a quick “Pardon?”[/justify]

[justify]“What?” she asked, pretending that she hadn’t just been silly enough (and, to her defence, half-asleep enough) to talk to her computer assistant as if it was a living thing.[/justify]

[justify]The barista shrugged. “Oh, uh, nevermind, uh, thought I heard something.” Sari’ad returned with a shrug in solidarity and went back to looking at the laptop screen. The hissing of, as she knew it to be called from her many years helping out the café, “that metal tube thing what’s got the dial on it” steaming the milk, told her that Tsólnesz had also chosen to drop the awkward situation as quickly as possible.[/justify]

[justify]The coffee, when it arrived, was delicious, as it always was, and provided enough caffeine for Sari’ad to get on with her project for the morning, although she hadn’t yet figured out what it would be.[/justify]

[justify]Technically, Russie was not sanctioned by Caslun T. She was working on it in her own free time and was not planning to let them do what they wanted with it, least of all start selling it to customers for massive profit margins. But, she was using their datasets. Millions if not billions – she hadn’t counted – of interactions between real living people, mostly comprised of every single Vaaran-language post that had ever been sent on the social media site Pigeon, sat on a single two-and-a-half-inch hard drive, taking up the vast majority of its ten-terabyte storage capacity. It was a hard drive that she technically wasn’t supposed to have. When multinational megacorporation Cluster had bought out Caslun T. in 2017, they’d been very clear about exactly in what ways and for what purposes they would be allowed to use their astronomically large databases. There was absolutely no way that Sari’ad would have been able to clear use of every Vaaran-language Pigeon post to train a computer assistant that neither Caslun T. nor Cluster would be getting their hands on, which is why she just hadn’t asked. She’d had access to the databases for the purposes of training some algorithm that would decide what posts to show to people to maximise likes, replies and reposts, and she’d decided to make a backup. You know, just in case. Strip out the non-Vaaran posts and the unnecessary metadata, keeping only the date/time and which post, if any, was being replied to, and apply one of Caslun T.’s file compression algorithms that was optimised for the Vaaran language, and what used to be an extremely large archive file could now fit into a single array of platters that could fit neatly in her jacket pocket.[/justify]

[justify]The hard drive spun to life as she plugged it in to the laptop. With just a few clicks through Russie’s control panel, the program resumed sorting through the mountains of data. It was a very long task, and she might as well set it running in the background while she figured out what else she was going to do in the next three hours. Leaning back in her chair, she took another sip of coffee, and looked out the window, hoping for any flash of inspiration. None came.[/justify]

[justify]She sighed. That meant defaulting to the one task which there always seemed to be more and more of: assigning metadata and tags to the backlog of faces and expressions for Russie to use. It was a long and arduous task, but it needed to be done.[/justify]

[justify]Sari’ad was five folders deep when a thought occurred to her. Would Russie be able to do it? Not expecting much, she opened up the debug terminal. Ordinarily, she would load a simple input terminal and just work with questions and answers, but if this plan was going to work, she wanted to know what Russie was thinking.[/justify]

SARI'AD > Yes, I think so. Would you like me to do that?
SARI'AD > Task complete. Results shown in new file browser window.

[justify]Excitedly, Sari’ad took a look through the shiny new files. What had previously been called just by the date and time they were created now had file names that actually matched the emotion on the face. The metadata, which normally would have to be typed out by hand for each and every image, had been all sorted, and in the exact type of formatting that she needed. She could even tell that Russie had learned the metadata syntax from looking at the files she had tagged herself – assigning the frame number of an animation before assigning which animation it was a part of only made sense if you had the exact type of workflow that Sari’ad did, and Russie had picked up on that habit and was repeating it.[/justify]

In the back of her mind, she felt a little unsettled. She’d been working on Russie for only a few months, and it was already outperforming her. Where would they go from there?

2021-07-10 / 1347-kr-14

In the central business district of Aduraszna’s capital city, Raszeran, the coffee shops were open all night long, save for a short half-hour at around three in the morning for the purposes of cleaning and restocking. For the thousands of fans descending on the city to watch the electrifying final of the Aszar Rugby Cup, this was really quite convenient. Many would need to drive back to their homes after the game, and might need a coffee to keep themselves awake. Others might want a quick bite to eat. And others, like Sari’ad, might want to meet up with friends for some smashed avo on toast and a soy latte to chat before watching the match from the comfort of the couch on the lesser-used first floor of the Idunaro Café with the newly-installed 4K television.

These were her closest friends. She’d made them while still at university, at the inaugural (and, as it would later turn out, only) meeting of the RaszTech Fans Of Indie Rock Except Kelsz Tarun Who Is A Bit Cringe Let’s Not Kid Ourselves Society. The five of them had become a tight-knit group very quickly, and they were the only people who knew about Russie. One of them had even given it its name.

“Do you think it could predict who’s gonna win?” asked Xherul, who always seemed to be in a perpetual state of three bong hits in, despite being an avid teetotaler.

“I guess we could give it a shot,” Sari’ad shrugged, opening her laptop.

Immediately, she was greeted with the same chipspeech “Welcome back, Sari’ad!” from the last time she’d forgotten to mute her laptop before closing it. She hadn’t figured out how to let it know when it should be quiet. She hit the mute button as soon as she could, but everyone had already heard it.

“Not gonna lie,” began Elera, before breathing her cigarette smoke out the open window, “that’s pretty cute.” She looked out at the bustling Raszeran CBD and the copious amounts of bunting hung from every building that would allow it; she didn’t need to look back to know Sari’ad was blushing. The Solidarity - TEPwiki councillor had been flirting with her for months now - the rest of the group had a betting pool on how long it would take for them to actually go on a damn date.

SARI'AD > Experts and bookies say: almost definitely the Faisluns 1st XV (86%)

“Faisluns”, Sari’ad announced with a grimace. Not that it came as a big surprise to anyone in the room; the Kitara Dockworkers’ Union was a massive underdog; they’d essentially fluked their way to the grand final, and never by more than a handful of points, which was less than nothing in rugby. Faisluns was better funded, had better players, had all the publicity, and most crucially for this particular friendship group, was based in the big city that none of them were from. Kitara, on the other hand, was a neighbourhood in Raszeran that they all were at least familiar with.

“Kserát,” Harun mumbled, getting up from a wicker chair and nearly spilling his coffee. “Lemme see.” Sari’ad angled the laptop towards him so he could see how the AI had come to its rather unpopular conclusion. He read the output and furrowed his brow. “Mmhmm. Let it make up its own mind. I don’t care what boots and suits have to say about Kitara, I already know.”

SARI'AD > I think: slight advantage to Kitara Dockworkers’ Union (52%)

“Now that’s what I’m talking about!” Harun shouted, startling the others. “See, we got Russie on our side now. Can’t lose.” He gave the laptop a little pat on the monitor. Russie didn’t react; it didn’t have a gyroscope.

“I mean, it’s probably wrong,” Sari’ad said, trying to dampen the blow. “It’s just looking for patterns. It doesn’t know what’s behind them.”

Harun kept smiling, undeterred. “Don’t care, it’s good enough for me. I’ll put a narss on it.” ƕ12; approx. SH$7.50]

“I’ll eat my hat if that’s right,” interjected Xherul.

“You could, actually,” Harun suggested. “There’s a bakery down the road that does marzipan hats.”

Xherul narrowed his eyes and thought for what seemed like an eternity. “Then I’ll eat my hat if that’s not right.” After some confused looks from the rest of the group, he eventually elaborated. “Well if we lose, I’ll need it to cheer me up, won’t I?”

It was hard to argue with cold hard flawless logic.

[hr]

Dzhailsz Aterszan, Rugby Correspondent, ASGTV Sports

…Barely a minute left on the clock, Kitara’s gonna need a miracle here. Faisluns keep the ball. Across the park they come - and losing it. Kental comes across - to Irun - here comes Teruesz! Bounces right past the defence - still going - Xhalus Teruesz leaving the Faisluns defence in the dust! Where are they? Nowhere to be seen! It’s a try! Kitara is back in the game!

Ten seconds out now. Jantschesz Edfurt taking arguably the biggest kick of his career here. This conversion will make or break the championship. The whole arena chanting his name almost as if the support could manifest itself in the kick. He pulls back, and everything goes quiet. This is the moment.

And there it goes - surgical precision! Right through the posts! Absolutely spectacular. They’ll be putting this one in the history books for years to come. Now that’s what I call a conversion - that’s what I call a game - that’s what I call a final - and that is Etsun Ti’aszul, the manager, running onto the pitch and celebrating, as he has every right in the world to do. Who could have predicted this? Nobody saw it coming! The underdogs have prevailed - and the Kitara Dockworkers’ Union are this year’s champions. What a journey. Lads - back to the studio.

2021-07-11 / 1347-kr-15

To add insult to injury, the automatic televised warning interrupted the dramatic climax of Kjiaustrant (“Outwards”), which had been building up to the final confrontation between its anti-hero and antagonist for a solid fifteen episodes. They were in some dank alleyway on the Nystatinne side of %url%, where one had been chasing the other through a web of deceit. One zrei elf (the one holding the crowbar) accused the other of a plot to murder his husband. The other opened his mouth and spat out some blood and a tooth. All the usual suspects would take to the video sites and point out the blunder that the costume directors had made in forgetting to paint one of his real teeth black: as it stood, Kjiaustrant implied that zrei had thirty-three teeth. After the viscera, which had barely survived the censors for its 5-6pm television time slot, instead of a reply, his mouth erupted with the harsh buzzing ascending tritones of the alert signal.

Immediately upon receiving the signal, every television in Aduraszna turned itself on if it was currently on standby, and then tuned itself to a vector map of the nation, the Southern Sea, and surrounding areas. Although the orange box in the top left initially (and optimistically) predicted a maximum quake intensity of 7, which might knock your prized porcelain off of the precarious shelf you’d unwisely left it on, it quickly became obvious that this was going to be a quake unlike any other. The scale maxed out at 12, at which point even quake-resistant buildings would take structural damage, and walking around becomes impossible. Within about twenty seconds, the forecasts updated to show that that was exactly where the southern coast of Aduraszna was headed.

(image)

The quake itself passed in a few minutes. It was by far the strongest that had been recorded in the area, and one of the largest in recorded history. But even as the tremors were subsiding, people quickly realised that the magnitude 9.2 quake would be the least of their worries. The epicentre was off the coast of Lantirdais, which meant there would be a tsunami.

Within twelve minutes of the end of the quake, the wall of water had already reached Lantirdais. Forecasts predicted a tsunami eight metres tall, but smartphone footage retrieved after the fact suggested peaks up to twice as high.

Sari’ad Injiaris was already having a bad day. Not one, not two, but three buses had failed to arrive, and she had been waiting at the bus shelter at Ajaranis Rd. for over half an hour. When the quake hit, the fourth bus was rounding the corner, and was promptly hit by a chunk of falling debris.

“I see it’s one of these dzerat kind of days,” she grumbled as she called Elera.

She picked up within two rings. “Sari’ad! Are you okay? I’m okay, are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine, look, where are you? ‘Cause, like, we’ve gotta evacuate, and–”

“And you don’t have a dzerat car– what did I dzerat tell you? You can’t live in Aduraszna and not have a car. Dzera. I’m at the stadium.”

“Dzera. I’m– I’m too far away. I’m sorry.”

“What? Where are–”

Sari’ad interrupted her, in clear distress. “I’m in New Kalusvaar. That’s–”

Elera interrupted her, in clear distress. “A half-hour drive. More in tsunami traffic. Ksát. You’re– wait! You’re in New Kalusvaar. Find a dzerat multi-storey car park! New Kalusvaar is like ninety percent car parks.”

“Yeah, I–”

“Look, I gotta go. Tsunami traffic’s already getting heavy. Good luck.”

“Okay, okay. Good luck. Love you.”

Sari’ad brought her phone away from her pointed ear and looked at the screen. Elera had already hung up. Only the fates knew if she had heard.

The top floor of the Ajaranis Rd. parking garage was packed with others in similar situations. Ten levels of parking would have seemed excessive in any other city, but in Raszeran it was not just par for the course, it was nearly always full. Thirty tense minutes passed. Some of them decided to make a break for it, navigating their cars through the mass of zrei on the top floors, then through the twisting ramps of the lower floors, then out of the building and towards higher ground. By the time the water came, the streets were nearly empty, save for a handful of stragglers who were apparently determined to outrun the wave in their sports cars.

The force of water is enough to knock a person off their feet even in the best of times, but once a tsunami has traveled through enough land, it also picks up debris from the things it has destroyed, using them as weapons against yet more buildings, like a parasite. Across the street from the parking garage, a wooden fence post speared a shop-front window, sending a mini-tsunami cascading through the mannequins and assorted fashion items. Scavengers would be very interested in that once the waters subsided.

It took an age, but eventually the tsunami came to a halt, and began returning to the ocean. Slowly and wearily, but with increasing hysteria as the weight of the situation began hitting, cheers rose from the crowd. The cries of children had ended and had been replaced with curious conversation. They had all made it, and that was cause for a celebration any day of the week.

Sari’ad was not joining in– Elera wasn’t picking up the phone.