Royal Love

Stromharad, Asendavia
1238 Hours, March 14th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“I’m worried about Hjalmar, Runi.”

Alexander scratched his chin and for a few moments, stopped writing in his notes. Without looking up, he replied, “As am I, Terje. But, there’s nothing we can do about it,” and then went back to writing.

Terje persisted. “It’s been an age since the last time I’ve been able to talk to him, and as far as I’ve heard, only Rurik and Uncle Ivan have talked to him recently. He shouldn’t have gone to Nystatiszna and he shouldn’t have married her.”

Alexander put his pen down and looked his brother in the eye. “You shouldn’t talk about his—”

“But you don’t disagree with me, do you?”

He pursed his lips and looked away. “I don’t think he should have gone to Nystatiszna,” he finally admitted. “I don’t think either of them should’ve, but who could’ve known? Not even her own father. But to say their whole marriage was a mistake in the first place, you’re going too far.”

Terje leaned back in his chair, relaxing a bit. “Perhaps. I’m just worried about his well being there.”

“I’m not blaming you by any means, I certainly wouldn’t wish anyone to live there period, but it is what it is. We just have to keep offering him support any way we can. Sit in with Uncle Ivan during his next phone call with Hjalmar, perhaps that may assuage some of your worries,” Alexander picked his pen back up and began writing anew. “Besides, you have your own issues to worry about, from what I’ve been hearing about you and Sigrun.”

“Ah shut up, you’re almost 30 and you’re still single! At least I have a girlfriend,” Terje laughed and got up from his chair.

“Maybe not for long if what I’ve heard is true,” Alex teased.

“You can go fuck yourself,” Terje gave him a half-hearted middle finger and left.

“And you can go fuck yourself too, dear brother,” Alexander called after him and chuckled to himself.

After a few minutes passed by, Alexander put his pen down and put his papers away. Getting up from his chair, he went over and locked the door, not that he was expecting more visitors any time soon, but it was always better to be safe than sorry, especially at this time of day. Next, he went to the window to close the curtains. Truth be told it was a rather nice day for March in Asendavia, and he did take a moment to admire the gardens before closing the curtains. With that done, Alexander breathed a sigh of relief and sat back down in his chair.

From behind him, he heard the door to this rest of his suite unlock and slowly open, creaking as it did.

“I’m going to have to remember to oil those hinges,” he commented, swiveling around in his seat.

Before him stood a small female ailurine, only 5 feet tall, average for her species but tiny compared to him as he stood well over a foot taller than her. Grinning, she walked over to him and Alexander picked her up and put her on his lap.

“You overhear much of the conversation?” He asked, idly running his hands through her fur.

She shrugged. “Just a bit. I wasn’t paying too much attention really, just waiting for your brother to leave,” she rested her head against Alexander’s chest.

“Terje’s always been one to worry unduly, but truth be told, maybe he’s right to worry. He and Hjalmar were the closest out of all of us, them being only a year apart in age. I think that maybe, aside from his own father and siblings, Terje knows him best,” he grew quiet for a moment and frowned. “He shouldn’t have gone to that fucking shithole, nothing good ever came from that continent. For the love of Ademar, her own father disinherited her! But of course, no one could’ve known.”

The ailurine shifted in his lap and held him in a tight embrace. “No one could’ve known,” she agreed. “But yet, it wasn’t your or anyone else’s choice to make. It was his.”

“Yes, yes, it was his choice, but also not, for he was struck by the arrow of love, and he dutifully followed. They looked like such a good couple too, but now I don’t even know how he’s doing. My own cousin, and I can’t remember the last time I talked to him, I can’t know how he’s feeling right now. How alone he is. I blow off Terje’s concerns and look at me,” Alex raised a hand and felt his face. Tears. “Oh Aikka, may Ademar and the God-on-Urth guide him justly, may he be doing better than Terje fears, than I fear,” he attempted to smile and failed.

Aikka looked up at Alexander, the tears trickling silently down his face. She produced a few tissues from her pocket and took his face in her hands, wiping gently at his tears before kissing him. “You sweet, sweet fool. My sweet fool. There may be nothing that any of us could do to help him, if he truly needs it, but you would do good with following the advice that you gave your brother. You say that you can’t remember when you last talked to him, so talk to Hjalmar, all of you. And if this is how you feel, imagine how his father feels, he must need the support as well. Don’t let the solitude claim them both.”

Alexander smiled wanly, his deep crimson eyes staring into the distance. “Knowing my uncle, I wouldn’t be surprised if underneath that calm and collected facade of his, he’s been worrying himself to an early grave. Father must know, he can always see through him, just as he can see through dad,” he shifted his gaze to Aikka, to her beautiful brown eyes. He felt as if they were staring directly into his soul. He loved that about her.

Alex leaned in for another kiss, deeper this time. When they finally broke away both of them remained quiet, content to look at each other. Finally, he scooped her into his arms as he stood from his chair, and he carried her into his bedroom.

3 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1549 Hours, March 14th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“It’s just nice to be able to sit with you for a change, Alex,” Karina took a small tart from the pastries that were laid out in front of them both. “I don’t get to talk to you enough, and while I love our other siblings, they can be a bore sometimes. It’s always a new boyfriend with Katrine, or Terje’s troubles with Sigrun, or Ademar holing himself away all day.”

“Or Aili with her constant gossip,” Alexander suggested, taking a sip from his coffee.

Karina put her hand to her chest and feigned offense. “How dare you talk about my sweet Yvonne like that. Our dear Yvonne can do absolutely no wrong, for she’s my better half.”

Alexander smirked. “If she’s your better half than what deep and dark terrible secrets are you hiding, my dear Kari?”

“As if I would tell you, Alex,” Karina took a sip from her own coffee. “My secrets are mine and Yvonne’s alone. As are your own for yourself. Not that I wouldn’t like to hear them though.”

She picked up the coffee pot, nearly empty, and filled her cup back up with the remainders. Out of an entire family of coffee drinkers, she was the most prolific. Certainly better than being the most prolific drinker, that’s for sure.

“Aikka dear, more coffee please. Decaf this time, I should think. I don’t want to stay up all night again,” Karina called out.

The ailurine appeared from the next room and took the coffee pot from Karina. “Yes, Princess, right away.”

The pair sat in silence as Aikka left to brew another pot and as Karina poured more sugar into her cup.

“Dad’s worried about you, you know,” Karina broke the silence first, looking up at her brother.

“He has more important things to worry about,” Alexander said, taking a croissant from the selection. He didn’t look her in the eye.

“Perhaps, and far be it from me to dictate your love life, but the Crown Prince does need an heir. Do you know how long Yvonne’s been waiting to become an aunt? And of course Mom wants grandkids, but you certainly know that by now.”

“I have since I was 6,” Alexander confirmed, frowning.

“I can’t even remember when you last had a girlfriend, it must’ve been while I was still a teenager,” She laid her hands on his. “There’s no shortage of women who would want a Crown Prince, so tell me what’s going on. You know I’m no gossip like Yvonne.”

Alexander drew his hands back and averted his eyes. Karina was making him very uncomfortable at this point. “I have no obligation to discuss my love life with my little sister.”

She pouted. “Oh come on, I’m not a baby like Erika, I’m old enough to hear.”

“Erika’s 18,” he pointed out.

“A baby,” Karina repeated.

“You’re only two years older than her.”

“A baby,” she reaffirmed.

“A baby,” Alexander acquiesced.

“So will you tell me?” she grinned at him.

“No, and I suggest we talk about something else now unless you want me to leave.”

“Fine fine fine,” she hurriedly replied, taking his hands in hers again. “Don’t go.”

At this time, Aikka reentered the room with a fresh pot of coffee and refilled both of their cups, bowing to both of them.

“Thank you Aikka, you may go,” Karina smiled politely. Alexander didn’t even look at her.

After Aikka left, Karina carried on. “So, I heard you were talking with Terje earlier today. Hjalmar?”

He nodded. “He’s worried about him, and I don’t exactly blame him, but I don’t really want to go into that right now. I had to calm myself down after talking with Terje because he got me really worried about him for a minute there.”

“I understand, I won’t pry any further,” Karina looked down as she had a drink of her coffee.

Struggling to find something else to talk about, Alexander finally blurted out “So, how’s school?”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “It’s going… fine. Yvonne’s doing alright as well. School is school. It’s too warm down there for my liking though, at least they’ve got air conditioning.”

Alexander drummed his fingers on the table. “So since you asked about my love life, what about your—”

“No.”

Later that night.

In the predawn darkness, Karina awoke to the tight embrace of her still sleeping sister Yvonne. Yvonne’s soft breathing, which was all she could hear, put Karina at ease. She turned her head and looked over at Mari, a recent night-time companion of theirs, who was also still sound asleep. Closing her eyes, she smiled and kissed Yvonne’s forehead before slowly drifting back to sleep in her sister’s warm embrace.

1 Like

Stromharad, Asendavia
0603 Hours, March 15th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka’s fingers idly traced lines across Alexander’s chest as they lay in bed together, the first hints of dawn trickling in through the window. He winced slightly as her fingers crossed over a fresh set of scratches she had given him.

“Sorry,” she sheepishly muttered, letting her hand come to a rest on his stomach.

“It’s fine, I don’t really care. No one other than you is going to have a reason to see me shirtless anyways,” he put his hand on her head and started scratching the area between her ears.

For a few minutes they lay like that, content. However, as more light began to enter from the window, Alexander got up and closed the curtains before sitting down on the side of the bed and started combing through his hair with his hands. Aikka sat up and scooched over to him, hugging him from behind.

“I wish we didn’t have to get up, that we could just stay here all day,” Aikka rested her head against his back.

“I know,” Alexander said mournfully. “But we both have our own roles to play, and we must get back to them, much as we despise them,” he twisted around and gave her a quick kiss before getting up and putting on his clothes that were scattered on the floor.

Aikka got out of bed as well and put her clothes that she’d neatly draped on a chair back on. Even with the curtains closed, more light began to seep through and illuminate the room, which hurried the two’s pace in getting ready for the day to come. For much of the rest of the day, the pair avoided each other, only meeting back together for moments at a time

At half past five, as Alexander was finishing writing an email, he heard a timid knock and a voice at his door. “Alex?”

It was Yvonne. “Come in Aili,” he called out.

An oddly sheepish Yvonne entered the room. Out of all of his sisters, Yvonne was perhaps the most outgoing and energetic, much like their mother whom she shared a name with and also resembled the most in appearance. And yet here she was, as shy as a mouse. She quickly took a seat and looked at her brother, opening her mouth before closing it again.

“What is it, Aili?” Alexander asked gently. He hoped it wasn’t anything serious, she was rarely ever this timid.

“I know that you might not be the best person to ask, Alex, but, how do I tell someone that I love them, that I truly love them?”

He knew she didn’t truly mean it as a slight against him, but it injured him nonetheless. “You’ve had a couple of boyfriends before, why are you asking me now? Is this boy truly different?”

Yvonne looked away and hesitated for a moment before answering. “Yes, they’re different, different from the boyfriends I’ve had.”

Alexander sighed. He was glad it wasn’t serious, but why did she have to ask him? “Well, how’d you say it to your previous boyfriends?”

“They were the ones to ask me out and tell me they loved me.”

“Of course they were. I mean, frankly, you should really be asking Mom or Kari about this, but uh, just be honest I guess? Be straightforward with it, don’t tiptoe around it. Sounds cliche but that’s probably your best way about it. Maybe a gift too if you know what they like, though that’s probably rushing it a bit, and really they should be the one giving you gifts.”

Yvonne abruptly stood up and leaned over the desk to hug Alexander. “Thank you, Alex,” she whispered in his ear. She hugged him tighter and quickly left the room.

“Bye,” he weakly called out after she’d already left. He shook his head and started writing another email.

Several hours later and elsewhere in the palace, Aikka looked at herself in the mirror. She spent several minutes simply brushing her fur and another to put mascara on. Being an ailurine, her makeup options were rather limited and mostly consisted of temporary dyes, of which she spent an even longer time putting a dark rose gold dye around her eyes and waiting for it to set. Leaving the bathroom, Alex was already waiting for her on the bed.

“Finally, took you forever,” he tossed his phone to the side. “You look beautiful though.”

“You always say that,” she smiled and crawled onto the bed with him.

“Because it’s always true,” Alexander leaned over and shut the lights off.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1922 Hours, March 15th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Karina was opening the door to her suite when Yvonne ambushed her from behind.

“Yvonne!” Karina tripped and fell onto the floor, taking Yvonne down with her, who was hugging her.

“Karinailoveyoupleasedon’thateme,” Yvonne blurted out, clinging tighter to Karina.

“Can you please stop ambushing me like this, Yvonne? Let me get up!” she managed to wiggle herself free from Yvonne’s grasp and pulled her sister up and into her room, closing the door behind them.

As soon as the door was closed Yvonne started hugging Karina again. ”I love you Kari.”

“I love you too, Yvonne. Now I’m going to assume that there’s something—”

“No, I love you, Karina,” Yvonne put emphasis on her words this time and only clung tighter to her.

“Oh,” Karina’s mind began to race. It’s true that she had been joining Yvonne and Mari at night recently, but she hadn’t really expected much of it. What was of the night belonged to it. Perhaps that was her first mistake. What a fool she was. “What about Mari?”

“I love her too, both of you,” Yvonne pulled away only slightly so that she could look Karina in the eye. There were tears in her eyes.

Karina grabbed a handkerchief and tenderly wiped the tears from Yvonne’s eyes. She did love her sister, true, and in both senses if only to differing degrees, but there was an ever lingering ounce of shame.

“Let’s sit down, Yvonne,” she said gently. “Let’s talk.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
0411 Hours, March 16th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka lay cuddled up to Alexander, both of them content to merely lie there. It was Saturday, which while it didn’t mean either of them were exempt from their duties, they had less of them. For a long while they rested, until Aikka broke the silence.

“Will you ever marry?” she asked.

It was a simple question, one Alexander didn’t like to think about. He’d been told and pressured his entire life that he’d need to marry. Countless girls had been introduced to him or asked him directly, and he’d rejected almost all of them. There was a time when he dated for appearances’ sake, but that was years before he’d met Aikka. There was a time when he thought he didn’t actually feel love, before Aikka.

The silence stretched on, until finally he answered her. “Only if they force me to.”

A noncommittal response, but a true one. He couldn’t marry her publicly, let alone be in a relationship with her publicly. Alexander wasn’t interested in anyone else, but never marrying would also bring a suite of rumors with it, which he would preferably like to avoid. A tricky situation either way.

Aikka lay there in silence. A not entirely unexpected answer, but disappointing nonetheless. She recognized the precariousness of their situation and hated it. If this were any other relationship she would’ve rebuked him for it. But it wasn’t any other relationship. With the sheer quantity of nobility that Asendavia had, a royal marrying a commoner would be scandalous enough, but the Crown Prince marrying an Ailurine? A woman of another species that he’d be unable to have children with? Even if he took another wife with whom he could have children, it’d be unthinkable, completely unprecedented.

So they both lay there silent once again, an uneasy peace between them. Until Aikka spoke again.

“Will you marry me?”

Alexander’s breath hitched in his throat. He and Aikka had been together for several years now, so the question didn’t truly come out of nowhere, but she knew as well as he that a public marriage would be impossible. It would have to be private, but even then, they would have to find someone to perform it and legally register it. Unless they just didn’t get it registered. Their marriage wouldn’t be legally binding then, but their relationship was already a secret and would have to stay one, so what would it matter? And besides, he knew someone who just might be willing to perform it.

“Yes.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1633 Hours, March 16th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alexander was fucking exhausted and struggling to stay awake. The coffee he had with him was helping marginally, but nowhere near enough. But, he had to stay awake, for Hjalmar. His brother Terje, Uncle Ivan, and Rurik, one of Hjalmar’s younger brothers, were already there when Alexander took a seat. The phone was already ringing.

After a slight delay, Hjalmar picked up and Ivan quickly switched the call to speaker.

“Hey Hjalmar, you doing alright?” Ivan put the phone down on a table.

“Hey dad. I’m uh, doing fine. Kinda the same as ever really. What about you, Rurik or Magnus giving you any trouble?”

“I’m right here, asshat,” Rurik leaned forward.

“Love you too, Rurik.”

“Rurik’s fine, and Magnus too. You know how Magnus has been traveling around a lot recently, so he’s hardly had the opportunity to give me any trouble, well, that I’ve heard at least. Either way, I’m fine. I’ve been smoking less, but I don’t know whether or not I’ll actually end up quitting.” Ivan put his hand on Rurik’s shoulder

Hjalmar’s sigh could be heard over the phone. “Look, I’ve already lectured you enough about this before, but at least you’re cutting down on it, so that’s a start.”

“Oh also, we’ve got Terje and Alexander here today,” Ivan added in.

“Oh damn, it’s been a while. How ya doing Terje, troubles with Sigrun again? And you still single Alexander?”

“Ok seriously, how the fuck do you know too?! You’re in Nystatiszna!” Terje threw his hands up in the air, and Alexander frowned.

Hjalmar’s shrug was practically audible. “Dad tells me about these sorts of things, y’know. He tries to keep me in the loop. But believe me, I get it.”

“And yes, for your information, Hjalmar, I’m still single,” Alex chimed in.

“I’m never going to stop holding the fact I got married first over your head.”

“I figured as much, still nice to hear you’re doing alright.”

“Oh speaking of which, how’s my daughter-in-law doing, Hjalmar? Will I get grandkids any time soon?”

Hjalmar paused briefly. “Ingrid’s doing fine, we’re holding up. She’s ruling an entire country, so you probably have at least an idea of what that entails. And please dad, not now.”

“How about friends, you got much of a social life over there?” Terje teased Hjalmar.

“Well, the language barrier is a bit difficult, I’m not sure if anyone here actually really knows Asendavian, and Nys’tat’en has kind of been a bitch to learn, but I’m making progress. So, Codexian’s been the way to go, which still limits my options, but it’s not like I’m totally isolated, there’s obviously Ingrid… and well, Ny’Saki—”

“I’d rather you not mention him,” Ivan maintained a pleasant tone and smile as he said it.

Alexander and Terje gave each other a look. A very sensitive subject no doubt, but not shocking, they wouldn’t want to be in that position either.

“Of course, right, sorry.”

“They got good alcohol over there?” Rurik quickly interjected in an attempt to break the tension.

“You kidding? They basically specialize in the stuff. I’ve definitely been drinking a lot more since I came here, which to be honest probably isn’t the healthiest, but it is what it is.”

Alexander leaned back and started to relax. Even if some of the conversation wasn’t ideal, it did put him at ease to at least hear Hjalmar talking. He’d definitely been worrying too much. It was almost embarrassing, really, now that he thought about it. He got a little too comfortable, however, and fell asleep.

3 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1153 Hours, November 24th, 3757 AA (2020 AD)

Today, as a sort of early birthday celebration, Alexander was having brunch with his sisters Yvonne and Karina, whose actual 17th birthdays were in three days. He and Karina were having eggs benedict while Yvonne stuck with her typical grilled tuna steak, a bit of an odd choice for a brunch but Alexander wasn’t one to judge, he was having akevitt with brunch after all.

“So, Aili, I know you’ve been looking at universities to go to. Find any that appeal to you?” Alex asked and then took a bite of his eggs benedict.

“Honestly, I haven’t seen any in Asendavia that have actually appealed to me, so I’ve been looking at foreign schools. Besides, since we have the money, why not look? Either way, Hjalmar ended up recommending Shiro to me, and I figured that since he went, I’d at least take a look at it. I imagine I’ll probably end up going there, they’ve got such a wide variety of courses there,” Yvonne shrugged and washed down a piece of her tuna with some white wine.

“And what about you, Kari? I haven’t heard anything about university from you, are you not going to one? I won’t blame you if you don’t.”

Kari sighed and brushed back some of her hair from her face. She’d recently dyed it a light brown, which actually suited her dark red eyes remarkably well. “I’m not sure, to be honest with you Alex. I thought about it for some time, but I don’t really know if I want to.”

“Why not come to Shiro with me? Then we can stick together, because I know you’d die of loneliness the second after I leave,” Yvonne grabbed Karina’s hand.

“I think you’d be the one to die rather than me, but I could. The issue is I don’t know what kind of degree I’d go for,” Karina’s lips curled up slightly into a smile.

“I’d recommend going for something you know you’d like, something that matches your interests. No point in going for a degree in something that you despise,” Alex gestured at her with his fork and took another sip from his akevitt.

“Umm, archaeology? Yeah, archaeology sounds good,” Karina had a small bite of her eggs benedict and a sip of her coffee.

“I didn’t realize you liked archaeology, huh. That’s nice, you learn something new everyday,” Alex shrugged and had more of his akevitt.

“Don’t drink too much now, it’s not even noon yet!” Yvonne wagged her finger at Alex.

“You’re my little sister, you can’t tell me what to do. But, as an early birthday present, I’ll graciously accede to your request,” Alex pushed his glass of akevitt further away from himself.

“Ah, but just that won’t do, I have to make sure you’re not drinking behind our backs. Aikka! Be a dear and take away the bottle of akevitt please, I don’t want my dear brother getting too drunk now,” Yvonne called out into an adjacent room.

A small ailurine woman walked into the room and bowed. “Yes princess,” she started taking the bottle of akevitt until Alexander gently put a hand on her wrist.

Aikka turned her head toward him and looked at him with her big round eyes, the color of chestnuts. For a split second Alexander hesitated, until he remembered what he was going to say.

“Please take the bottle of white wine away as well. I don’t want my dear sister getting too drunk either.”

Aikka bowed yet again. “Yes, your royal highness,” she turned and took the bottle of white wine from the table as well as she left.

Karina merely watched the situation unfold, sipping from her cup of coffee.

Yvonne pouted. “Oh, you’re no fun, Alex,” she said, quickly finishing off her glass of white wine.

“If I’m not allowed to get drunk at this time, neither are you. Besides, I’m just looking out for the wellbeing of my little sister,” Alexander took the few final bites of his eggs benedict and gulped down the last of his akevitt.

Their chatter was light until his sisters had finished their own food, at which point it started back up.

“So, a new servant eh?” Alex asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin to make sure he’d gotten everything, which he’d already done a couple of times since he’d finished his food.

Karina nodded. “Aikka. She was hired within the past couple of weeks as far as I recall. She’s been good so far.”

“Hmm. Aikka, come here please, I’ve a small errand for you,” Alexander called out.

Aikka entered the room again and quickly went over to him, “Yes sir?”

“I’ve two small gift boxes for my sisters in my suite. I would appreciate it if you could bring them to me,” Alexander watched her leave this time as she went to do his bidding.

“Oh, gift boxes? Are you giving us our presents already? How generous,” Yvonne smiled and, a tad unsteadily, got up and hugged Alexander.

“I figured that since this brunch was already in a way an early celebration, I might as well give you two your gifts early,” Alex hugged her tightly. “I really don’t spend enough time with the two of you.”

Karina got up from her seat and, with some mild difficulty, got the two of them to stop hugging and dutifully led Yvonne back to her seat. “I swear, you get drunk too easily, Yvonne. You’re just like mom in that too. Thank you though, Alex, I appreciate it.”

A few minutes later, Aikka came back with the gift boxes and handed them to Alexander, bowing again.

“You don’t have to bow every single time, once or twice is enough,” Alexander dismissed Aikka and, after inspecting the boxes for a second, handed over the boxes to Yvonne and Karina.

“I got the two of you necklaces with your birthstones in them. Yours, Karina, has an imperial topaz, I thought it would match your hair and eyes the best. And Aili, yours has a blue topaz, I know you like blue and I think it contrasts your eyes well.”

The two of them opened their boxes and put their necklaces on. Yvonne was simply beaming and it almost looked as if Karina had tears in her eyes. This time it was Karina who got up from her chair and rushed over to hug Alexander.

“Thank you so much, Alex.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1645 Hours, March 16th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“Runi, Runi, ALEXANDER, get up!”

Alex was roused from his sleep by someone, he wasn’t quite sure who, shouting at him.

“Wha-? What’s going on? What did I miss?” Alexander opened his eyes and leaned forward, almost leaning too far forward and falling over before he caught himself. He could hear Hjalmar bursting out laughing from the other side of the phone.

“You fell asleep Runi,” Terje said and started shaking Alexander despite the fact he was already awake.

“Ah fuck off, for the love of Ademar,” he grabbed Terje’s arms and forced him to stop shaking him around. “How long was I asleep?”

“Maybe a couple of minutes at most. You really need to go get some proper sleep,” Terje looked a little concerned.

“Yeah, I stayed up basically all night, really shouldn’t have done that. I’ll go to sleep after this phone call ends, ok?”

Terje nodded, and the group continued talking with Hjalmar for a few more minutes until he had to hang up. To make sure Alex didn’t somehow fall asleep in the hallway back to his suite, Terje led him by the arm back to it.

Once they were at the door, Terje opened it for him. “Go get some sleep Alex, love you.”

“Love you too Terje,” Alexander went in and shut the door behind himself. Unlocking the door to his bedroom, he went and collapsed onto his bed, falling asleep without bothering to close it.

Stromharad, Asendavia
0104 Hours, March 17th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alexander stirred in his sleep when he heard the door to his bedroom close.

“Aikka?”

“Go back to sleep dear.”

“…Ok.”

He heard her climb into bed with him and fell back to sleep as quickly as he’d been roused from it.

Stromharad, Asendavia
0626 Hours, March 17th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alexander woke up from his sleep again. When he opened his eyes, Aikka wasn’t next to him. He sat up.

“Morning,” Aikka said. She was brushing her fur in front of his bathroom mirror and had seen him get up out of the corner of her eye.

Alex shifted around to sit on the side of his bed. “I’m blaming yesterday on you.”

She smirked. “I’ll gladly take the blame for that. You got your reward after all, so you shouldn’t complain. Now the real question is, how do you plan on us actually getting married?”

Alexander, still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, walked over to her and knelt down. He took a moment to caress her tail before grabbing another brush and started brushing her back and tail. “I have a friend who became a priest some time back and I still talk with him often enough. He’s the first, and probably only, person I can think of who’d be remotely willing to do this sort of thing. He’s only over in Drahokamkulahmo too.”

Aikka arched her back as he helped brush her. “But you can’t really leave the palace without security following you. And thanks dear, it’s a pain to try and reach back there sometimes.”

Alex ogled her through the mirror and smiled. “Oh you know I don’t mind at all. You’re right though, since I can’t really leave without security, I was thinking that he could come here and perform it.”

“At the palace? That seems somewhat, no, extremely risky to say the least,” She turned around to face him.

Alex was distracted admiring her for a moment before he answered. It was too easy for him to get lost looking at her. “Oh certainly, but as you said yourself, I don’t exactly have the freedom to just go anywhere I please without at least one security guard, so that forces him to come here. There are plenty of chapels within the palace that he could wed us in. As long as we do it sometime late at night we should be fine, I’d think. After midnight at least for certain. I can supply him the wedding crowns for the ceremony as well, so he needn’t cause any unnecessary questions as to why he’d be bringing those sorts of things here. I have plenty of suits for myself as well.”

“I have plenty of dresses, but nothing that really screams wedding dress.”

“And none of the ones I’d be able to easily supply you with would fit at all. So either we make do with one of the dresses you already have or we buy you a wedding dress, somehow. I’ll leave the choice up to you, you’re beautiful no matter what,” he smiled and began brushing her frontside.

“I’m not quite sure I have the—I already brushed there—I don’t think I have the funds for one really.”

Alexander stopped and gave her a blank look.

“Right, duh. I’ll start looking at dresses online first then. When do you plan on contacting your friend?”

“I don’t think we’re in any particular rush, so I could wait until after you’ve secured a wedding dress. How long he’ll take to come down here after I contact him is another thing, but at least we’d be ready then,” he put the brush down and took her hands in his. “I love you so much.”

“I like it when you kneel for me, you should do it more often,” she leaned forward and gave him a quick kiss. “Anyway, we should finish getting ready, it’s already past 6:30. Don’t forget to change either, you slept in those clothes.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1355 Hours, March 17th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka had been sitting down for quite some time now. Neither Yvonne or Karina had asked her for anything for a few hours now, so she was catching up on a few of the shows she liked. Hearing footsteps approaching, she quickly put her phone away and stood up. It was Yvonne.

“Ms. Yvonne, do you need anything?”

Yvonne stopped for a moment. A bit hesitant, she said, “No, but I would like you to follow me please Aikka,” she began walking again but at a slightly slower pace.

Aikka dutifully followed her. For a long while, they were silent, but as they passed by some of the doors to the gardens, Yvonne spoke.

“Tell me, Aikka, have you been in any relationships before?”

“A few, princess.”

“And right now?”

Aikka’s heart skipped a beat. “No,” she lied.

“A pity. I’ve been in a few myself, but they never lasted all that long. I was never really into them the same way they were into me. Karina’s been more lucky in that regard,” Yvonne stopped for a moment to look out the glass doors to the gardens. Without much of a second thought she opened one of the doors and headed into the gardens, Aikka following close behind.

Stopping again a short distance into the gardens, Yvonne looked around. “I remember when they found Hjalmar and Ingrid around here, that was years ago now of course. I hope they’re still doing well, I’ve heard a bit of the stuff that’s come out of Nystatiszna.”

Starting back up, she began walking deeper into the gardens. “Katrine’s been here with a number of boyfriends before. I love her as a sister, but she needs to settle down, or at least be more discreet. The amount of boyfriends she’s had is ridiculous. Of course, maybe she doesn’t want to settle down, who am I to say? I can’t tell her how to live.”

Spying a rose bush from the corner of her eye, Yvonne knelt down next to it and plucked two roses, giving one to Aikka and keeping one for herself. “However, I do think that my luck has been changing recently, for the better. Thank you, Aikka. I just wanted to walk and have someone listen to me as I thought out loud. You may go back to what you were doing before.”

Aikka stood there and watched as Yvonne left. Her tail moved slowly from side to side and she looked down at the rose she was given. She took a deep inhale of its scent and began to slowly walk back inside, keeping it close to her chest.

1 Like

Kraunuskan, Asendavia
1127 Hours, July 29th, 3742 AA (2005 AD)

“Mama!” Aikka came running into the living room, her fur all a mess from playing outside.

Her mother was sitting on the couch, watching television. As soon as Aikka came running in, she turned the TV off. “What do you need, little one?”

Aikka stopped in front of her mother and held her arms up. “Up!”

Aikka’s mother picked her up under her arms and sat her down on her lap. “Do you want to be brushed, Aikka?”

“Yes mama,” she rested her head on her mother’s chest and looked up at her, swinging her feet back and forth.

Her mother took a brush from the end table and started humming a small tune as she brushed Aikka, who melted into her arms.

“In the ruins of the old stone church by the creek I met a man.
Tall and fair was he, and his one eye shone like a ruby.
When I inquired as to his name,
He smiled and turned it into a game.
He took me by the hand and asked for a dance.

In the ruins of the old stone church by the creek we danced.
Determined was I, but on and on he continued to deny.
For hours I inquired,
And for hours I admired.
And when night fell we came to a stop.

In the ruins of the old stone church by the creek we stopped.
By now I was endeared, but when I turned he’d disappeared.
He never did tell me his name.
To him it was a silly little game.
To me, the tall fair man with an eye like a ruby broke my heart.”

“What was that, mama?” Aikka asked, tilting her head to look at her mother, who’d just finished brushing her.

“Just an old poem that your mother likes, sweetheart. Now, go on and go play outside again. I’ll be making lunch soon though.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1749 Hours, March 17th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka sat and stared at the rose Yvonne gave her. She’d since put it by the window in a vase so that it would last longer as she wasn’t entirely sure what to make of it. She wasn’t sure if Yvonne had given it to her just to be kind or if she meant something by it. She wasn’t even sure what to make of the entire walk, really. It’s entirely possible that she was just overthinking the whole thing. Perhaps Aikka was just a bit too on edge. She tore herself away from the rose and went back to looking at wedding dresses on her phone. Some of the prices she had been seeing disturbed her, but Alex had also basically given her a blank check, so it didn’t hurt to look at least.

She’d almost certainly still have to go get fitted in person though. Alone. Without any of her family. Maybe if things changed in the future they could have a real public ceremony, and she could get fitted for a wedding dress with her mother, but that just wasn’t possible right now. Maybe ever, even. Aikka got up and grabbed a bottle of akevitt she’d bought recently and poured herself a glass. She hoped that it might help take her mind off things as she browsed.

After perhaps half an hour of looking, a quick knock at her door interrupted her. At this point in the day, she figured it was almost certainly Alexander, but she flipped her phone over just in case. Aikka was surprised to see that it was actually Karina at her door, and by instinct she bowed.

“Princess, can I do anything for you?”

“Not exactly, Aikka, I just want someone to talk to,” Karina looked at the bottle of akevitt and the rose in the vase. “Oh, were you expecting someone?”

“No, Princess, your sister, the princess Yvonne, gave the rose to me earlier today, and I was just drinking by myself.”

A look Aikka couldn’t quite discern flashed across Karina’s face for a split second. “Do you mind if I come in?”

Aikka opened the door wider and stepped to the side. “Of course not, Princess.”

Karina walked in and took a seat at the table. “Thank you.”

Closing the door behind her, Aikka sat back down at the table as well, also grabbing and shutting her phone off. She didn’t want to have to answer any awkward questions. “What did you want to talk—”

“Are you seeing my sister?”

Aikka blinked. It took her several seconds to actually process the question. “Princess?”

“Are you seeing my sister?” Karina repeated the question, softer this time.

Aikka genuinely didn’t understand where this line of questioning was coming from. There was the rose, yes, but nothing else she could think of that could warrant this. Did Yvonne even like women? If she did, Aikka was unaware.

“No.”

“I don’t care whether you like women or not, but I want—”

“No!”

Karina leaned back and looked at the rose again. “Alright. I’m sorry, Aikka. I just wanted to make sure. She sometimes has a tendency of being too open, and I just want what’s best for her. God, I feel stupid.”

Aikka refilled her glass of akevitt. “Even if I still don’t really understand what’s going on, I accept your apology, Princess. Do you want a drink?”

“No, but thank you Aikka. I’m sorry,” Karina hurriedly excused herself and left.

Aikka took another look at the rose. She was giving that thing to Alexander the first chance she got.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
2143 Hours, March 17th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“Heyy,” Aikka was already lying on his bed when Alexander entered his room. She had nought but the rose that Yvonne gave her, which she held in her mouth.

Alex stifled a small laugh. She wasn’t one to normally put on these sorts of theatrics. “Whatcha doin’ Aikka?”

“Waiting for you,” she rolled over onto her back and looked at him upside down, still clenching the rose in her teeth.

“And how long have you been waiting?” He sat down next to her and took the rose from her, putting it to the side.

“For hours and hours! But maybe half an hour at most,” she rested her head in his lap.

“Find any dresses you like?” He started stroking her head.

“A few, but I’m still gonna do some more searching. Oh, I forgot to ask earlier, how’d the call with Hjalmar go?”

“Well enough, even if I fell asleep for part of it,” he pinched her cheek lightly. “Totally worth it though. Anyway yeah, it was nice to hear his voice again, I’m honestly amazed at how much better that made me feel. I still have my doubts, but they’re not as bad now. Might start calling him myself even.”

“What time is it now?” Aikka asked.

“A bit past quarter to ten, why?”

“And how many hours behind us is he?”

“Ah, I see where you’re going. Nine hours, so close to 1 PM. I’d consider it, but I’d rather text him first and tell him rather than completely surprise him with a call. Besides, right now, I’d rather spend some time with you.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1419 Hours, December 3rd, 3757 AA (2020 AD)

Alexander looked at himself in the mirror. He’d come to the conclusion years ago that love wasn’t ever really something he’d feel. He’d still marry at some point of course, he had to, and he was fine with that. But now he wasn’t so sure. Ever since he’d taken notice of Aikka during his brunch with his sisters, he’d started yearning for her, which surprised him. He’d always considered them cute in a general sort of sense, but he’d never been attracted to one before.

Should he even bother? It would be completely legal, but with his status as the Crown Prince, it’d be insanely taboo. If he pursued her, he’d have to keep it a secret. Or maybe he should just ignore what his heart was telling him and just let it fade, let himself return to normalcy. He might not ever feel this way again though. Even if it didn’t work out, he’d at least have felt something. It was worth a shot.

Stromharad, Asendavia
0208 Hours, March 18th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex had an arm wrapped around Aikka as she browsed more dresses on her phone. He was only really paying half-attention.

“That one looks nice,” he commented on one of the ones she stopped to look at.

“Eh, not really my style, that type’s never really been my thing, but look at the price on it!” she tilted the phone further toward him.

Alexander whistled. “That’s a fucking ripoff if I’ve ever seen one.”

Aikka nodded and continued to scroll. While she did that, Alex grabbed his phone from the end table next to his bed and started texting Hjalmar.

“Hey, sorry for falling asleep during the call, I was exhausted. I’m gonna sleep soon but can I call you tomorrow? I wanna talk some more, just the two of us.”

“Why the fuck are you still awake? Isn’t it like two in the morning for you? Anyway sure, I should be available round 7 pm for you”

“Thanks”

“Np”

Putting his phone back on the end table, Alex started paying attention to the dresses Aikka was scrolling through again.

“How about this one?” he pointed at a ball gown style dress.

“Too poofy. I’m thinking something more of this style,” Aikka was pointing at an empire-style dress.

“Yeah, looks pretty nice. I’m honestly fine with whatever dress you get though, you need to be the one that’s happy with it. You’d look good in just about any of them, just as good as you look out of them,” Alexander kissed the top of her head and rested his head back on his pillow. He certainly didn’t envy her having to scroll through hundreds of dresses, he’d just wear one of the suits he keeps for weddings. Maybe the one he wore to Hjalmar and Ingrid’s wedding, just to stick it to Hjalmar, though it’s not like he’d be aware anyway. But maybe he could be made aware.

“Hey Aikka, do you mind if I tell Hjalmar?”

“About wha—” a look of horror spread across Aikka’s face as she realized and her ears moved back. “Are you fucking crazy?! NO! If I’m not able to tell any of my family, you’re not going to be able to tell any of yours, ESPECIALLY ONE MARRIED TO A FOREIGN QUEEN!” She managed to keep her voice to a whisper but she was extremely pissed and was waving her phone around as best she could with his arm around her

“You may have known him your entire life, but you have to remember that for the year I was here until he got married and left, I never really interacted with him, I don’t know him! Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! I can’t tell my own mother that I’m with you, and you want to tell a cousin who’s living in NYSTATISZNA right now! I encouraged you to talk to him, but I did NOT give you permission to divulge our relationship to him, so don’t even think about it!” Aikka covered her face with her hands.

Alexander started sliding his arm back from around her but she stopped him. “Just keep your arm there, Sir Fool.”

She rarely ever got angry at him, but when she did, Sir Fool was a favorite nickname of hers for him. She tossed her own phone to the side and they both lay there in silence for a long while.

“I’m—”

“Go to sleep, Sir Fool.”

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
0831 Hours, March 18th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

The first thing that Alexander noticed when he woke up was that Aikka wasn’t in bed with him, nor was she anywhere else in his suite. The second thing he noticed was the time. It had been a while since he’d last woken up at half past eight, usually Aikka would wake him up earlier. When he went to the bathroom to use the toilet however, he noticed a note left on the mirror.

“Sir Fool,

Thy intentions were pure, but also simpleminded. As consequence, I have left you to face the rising sun on your own this morning. Seriously, don’t fucking tell him.

Thine beloved,
Aikka”

Alexander couldn’t help but smile. He took the note and held it close to his heart for a few moments. Still, he did feel bad for making her so angry, he did have to admit it was a rather dumb impulse to want to tell Hjalmar. He folded the note up, placed it in the trash, and got on with getting ready for the rest of the day.

Stromharad, Asendavia
1857 Hours, March 18th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Periodically throughout the rest of the day Alexander would see and pass by Aikka, but at least during the earlier parts of the day she intentionally was ignoring him. As the day went on though, she gradually stopped ignoring him.

But now, seated at the desk in his office, it was time to call Hjalmar. After a couple of rings, Hjalmar picked the phone up.

“Hey Alex. You alone?”

“Just like I said last night. You?”

After a momentary pause, Hjalmar responded. “Yeah. Not like anyone here really knows Asendavian though. Anyway, what’d you want to talk about?”

“I want you to be honest with me, Hjalmar.”

“If I knew you were going to interrogate me today, I wouldn’t have picked the phone up.”

“How are you?”

“I’m surviving, I suppose. This isn’t Asendavia, that’s for damn sure. I don’t have it as good here as I did back home. Which I mean, I was kind of expecting that, but still.”

“And the drinking?”

“Yeah, that wasn’t a lie, it’s probably getting unhealthy. My dad’s killing his lungs and I’m killing my liver,” Hjalmar laughed bitterly. “Speaking of, was he lying to me about smoking less?”

“No, no, he legitimately is smoking less,” Alex reassured him.

“That’s good at least. How’s your mom and dad?”

“They’re fine, Mom’s taken up a bit more gardening again, and you know how my dad is. I’m not entirely sure, but I think something may—”

“I wouldn’t mention it over this line. Don’t mention it at all, in fact. The less I know the better. You should know better.”

“Right. How’s Ingrid?”

“As I said on Saturday, I’m pretty sure you weren’t asleep at this point, she’s fine. She’s taken to Nystatiszna extremely well compared to me.”

“What about her being dis—”

“Pass.”

“Do you actually have anyone to talk to?”

“Right now? Not really. Primarily Ingrid, and she acts as translator whenever I need to talk to Ny’Saki. I’m still not particularly good with Nys’tat’en and he doesn’t know Codexian. There’s also the guy who guards me, he knows Codexian, but it’s not like I’m really having conversations with him, you know? Not to mention I’m not exactly well-liked by the people in general anyway.”

“You—”

“I’d suggest keeping any comments you have to yourself. It’s all probably things that have passed through my mind at one point anyway.”

“I forget that sometimes you know how to read my mind.”

“Mhm. I’d rather not talk about anything else that might drive me further into depression, so if we can switch to something lighter I’d appreciate that.”

“I’m sorry. I mainly just wanted you to remember that we’re all here for you. Anyway, Terje and Sigrun are still having issues.”

“Nothing new, but reassuring. They just need to get married at this point. And thank you, I’ll try to remember that.”

“Katrine’s been with her current boyfriend for more than six months now.”

“Oh shit, is the curse finally broken?”

“Maybe, we’ll just have to see.”

Alexander and Hjalmar continued talking for another half hour until Hjalmar excused himself and hung up. Alexander truly specialized in both getting Hjalmar to be honest and asking him the worst questions imaginable.

Stromharad, Asendavia
2044 Hours, March 18th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alexander was finishing writing a letter when Aikka strutted into his suite, a smile on her face and her tail swishing wildly from side to side.

“Sir Fool,” she began.

So, she was still calling him that. But her tone was much lighter at least, so she probably wasn’t angry anymore, that was a plus.

“I am ready to forgive you, but I have also come to the conclusion that you must still be punished for your insolence,” her tail betrayed her excitement, she’d probably spent most of the day thinking this up. “You will kneel before me and painstakingly brush your beloved until her fur shines like satin.”

Alexander suppressed his smile and retained a stoic face. A surprisingly simple punishment, but he also knew that she absolutely adored it when he brushed her. Getting up from behind his desk, he knelt before Aikka and took her hand and kissed it.

“If that’s what it takes to regain the forgiveness of my beloved, then I shall—”

“Without any extraneous touching,” she added, smirking.

“Oh come on.”

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
2236 Hours, March 18th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“You’ve been a lot more sullen today than usual,” Yvonne propped herself up on her elbow. Mari was already asleep next to them.

“I am not sullen, I don’t get sullen,” Karina said.

“Don’t think you can lie to me, you get sullen.”

“Fine. I may or may not have been a bit rash yesterday,” Karina looked away.

“Well we all get a little—”

“And accused Aikka of sleeping with you.”

“Huh? Aikka? Our servant? The little cute—”

“Why are you calling her cute?”

“Well all ailurines are cute, doesn’t mean I’m attracted to them. Why would you even go accusing her? Why wouldn’t you just talk to me?”

“You were walking with her in the gardens and gave her a rose! And when I went to go talk to her later, she had it in a vase and a bottle of alcohol out! I wasn’t even going to accuse her of anything at first, I don’t even remember why I went to see her,” Karina rolled over to face away from Yvonne.

“I just wanted someone to talk to, and maybe subtly brag to. I was being polite. And before you ask, no, I did not tell her anything. Did you apologize to her at the very least?”

“Of course I did! I felt so stupid afterwards. I told her I was just being protective of you.”

“I didn’t realize you were one to get so jealous,” Yvonne smiled.

“I was not jealous.”

“You thought I was keeping a secret from you and you couldn’t stand it. I think that’s kinda hot. Well, I’ll tell you that I don’t mind if you keep secrets from me. You could be toying around with some boy on the side and I’d be none the wiser, and I wouldn’t mind. I may not like men, but I know you still do,” Yvonne shifted closer to Karina and put an arm around her.

“No, I don’t have anyone other than you.”

Yvonne shrugged. “That’s fine, just remember that I don’t mind if you find someone else to be with as well. And if I find someone else to add, you’d be the first person to know.”

“…Promise?”

“I promise.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
0543 Hours, March 19th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“Alex, Alex, get up!” Aikka shook him up from his sleep earlier than usual.

“Huh, wha-? What’s the matter?” Alex sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

“I found the dress! It’s in a nearby boutique too, so I don’t have to go far or have it shipped here,” Aikka was giddy with joy and shoved her phone in his face.

“Yeah, that one looks pretty good, can’t wait to see you in it. How much is it?” Alex put his arm around her waist and dragged her closer.

“4,600 Tavosar, before tax of course.”

“Not the worst price we’ve seen. Can you afford to buy it yourself with what you have in your account right now?”

“I thought you were going to finance it,” she took the phone out of his face and started looking at it herself again.

“I am, I am, I’m just not sure if it would be the wisest move to transfer the money to you digitally. It would probably be better if I give you the money in cash and you deposit it, probably not all at once either.”

“I suppose so. What if you just gave me the cash today and I’ll deposit it over the rest of the week and I’ll buy the dress on Saturday?”

“That could work too. I’ll call my friend Arvid later and see if he can come Sunday,” Alexander swung his legs out of bed and put on a pair of slippers.

“Sunday? Doesn’t that seem a bit soon?” Aikka got out of bed as well and went to close the curtains.

“I mean, do you want to wait any longer? We should have everything more or less ready once you have the dress.”

“Yeah ok. It’s just so close, just a few days away—!” Aikka squealed as Alex suddenly scooped her up into his arms and kissed her.

“Getting nervous are we? You were the one to pose me the question,” he asked her after they were done kissing.

“Is a girl not allowed to be nervous about her upcoming wedding?” Aikka ran a finger along his jawline.

“Depends. Am I allowed to be nervous about my upcoming wedding?”

“Are you?”

“A bit.”

“Yes.”

“Then yes, a girl can be nervous about her upcoming wedding,” Alexander plopped Aikka back onto the bed.

“And you’re 100% sure Arvid can be trusted to keep this secret?” she looked up at Alexander, a tinge of concern in her voice.

“He’s been my friend since we were both teenagers, I think he’d keep this a secret. Besides, if news did get out about our wedding, I’d make damn well sure that he’s dragged down with me. His reputation would be just as ruined as mine, though I’d hate to see any of that affect his father, the Duke of Majula is a good man.” Alexander got onto the bed again as well, planting his arms on either side of her and looming over Aikka. Getting closer, he nipped at her ear. This was one of the few times that he disliked that she had fur, because it always got in his mouth.

“Oooh, I like it when you put your brave face on. I trust you though,” Aikka nipped back at him. “I’d love to fool around more right now, but I should probably start getting ready for the day soon.”

“You’ve probably got two and half to three hours before you’ll really start being needed by my sisters in any capacity,” Alex pinned her arms to the bed.

“I also want to get going before activity picks back up around the palace,” Aikka made no attempt to struggle against him. She knew she wouldn’t be able to break free and she rather liked it anyway.

Alex glanced at the clock on his end table. “I’d give that forty-five minutes to an hour before people start moving around in this area.”

“Fine then, you win,” she gave an exaggerated sigh and smiled. “But let’s be quick.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
1505 Hours, March 19th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

The phone rang four times before Arvid picked up.

“Hey Alex, it’s been a little bit, got some news to share or do you want to go out drinking again?”

“Arvid Jon Vidar Arvijan Havlik, I am only going to ask this once in my entire life and I’m going to uphold you to an oath of secrecy,” Alexander maintained a steady, serious tone, even with his little bit of flair.

“Did you kill someone?”

“No. But I’m going to absolutely require that you stay completely silent on what I’m going to tell you for what’s almost certainly going to be the remainder of your life,” Alexander leaned back in his chair and kicked his feet up onto his desk.

“I really, really don’t like where you’re going with this, Alexander Adelar Jari Runar Harstad, but sure, I swear to maintain my silence and all that shit.”

“I was wondering if you could come to the palace on Sunday—”

“Oh sure, I think I have the time for—”

“—And officiate my wedding.”

There was a painfully long silence between the two of them. At this point, Alexander wasn’t sure if Arvid was actually still there, until he finally spoke back up.

“Please tell me this is a joke, Alex,” Arvid sounded like he was absolutely begging for it to be a joke.

“No,” Alexander stared straight ahead at his doors. He took the time to admire the woodworking that went into creating them, and the shininess of the door handles, and how the hinges were attached to the wall, and—

“Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck,” Arvid’s swearing started off intense but grew quieter as they went on.

“We can do some drinking afterwards,” Alex chimed in.

“I’d have to drink myself to death twenty times over for that to be worth it. Given you’re swearing me to secret, I’m going to assume—”

“You’re the first person I’ve told about this,” he confirmed. “Maybe even the only person I ever will, who knows?”

“Why did you have to burden me with this, I swear to God I’m going to kill you.”

“Yeah, I figured. Sunday still work for you? I want to do this in one of the smaller chapels maybe a couple hours after midnight.”

“I’m pretty sure, yes. Who’s the bride to be? Is she the daughter of some count and that’s why it’s a secret? Or are you eloping with, say, one of the daughters of the Archduke of Drangleic?”

“An ailurine servant in the palace,” Alexander saw no reason to lie, so he shattered Arvid’s mind into a thousand tiny pieces right then and there.

1 Like

Stromharad, Asendavia
1644 Hours, December 8th, 3757 AA (2020 AD)

Over the course of the past week, Alexander had been spending more time with Yvonne and Karina. Ostensibly it was to simply spend more time with them before they went off to Shiro, which was indeed an added bonus, but also to get to know Aikka better. He’d already gotten to know where she was from, Kraunuskan in the Duchy of Majula; how old she was, 22; and more importantly, that she was single. Now he just needed the right moment to talk with her privately.

That was part of the issue, however. Aikka was often all over the palace, and when she was stuck in one place, it was often nearby either Yvonne or Karina or the both of them. So here he was, wandering the halls like a fool looking for her. Even if he found her and it was an opportune time to talk to her, what was he going to say? He hadn’t actually thought that far ahead. Should he be blunt and just directly ask? Or should he ask her to watch a movie with him, or perhaps coffee? He frowned, if only she was a human and some nobleman’s daughter, then it wouldn’t have been so complicated, he would’ve been able to take her to dinner publicly. But no, he had to be in love with a non-human servant. Even if she had been a dwarf it wouldn’t have been this difficult.

He didn’t want to think about her rejecting him, which was also a real possibility.

“Good evening, your royal highness,” Alexander had been so distracted that he would’ve passed her by completely had Aikka not greeted him.

“Ah, good evening, Aikka. A word, if you please,” he supposed that it was now or never. Thankfully, there wasn’t too much activity going on in this general area. Still, Alexander didn’t want to take that risk and chose an empty sideroom.

It so happened that the room he chose was one of the palace’s smaller art galleries, gallery being too grand a word for it even perhaps, and this one was filled with family portraits. One portrait in particular, a portrait of his grandfather Ademar XXI and his granduncle Adelar XVI as teenagers, dominated the room. They were staring at him, or at least it felt like it. He shook off the feeling as best as he could and turned back to Aikka.

Aikka hoped that she hadn’t accidentally done something wrong. She searched her mind for something she might’ve done within the past few weeks but found nothing. So either it was something she hadn’t realized yet, or this was just something completely unrelated. She hoped it was the latter and that he just needed something done.

“Ms. Novlajan, I was wondering if you would perhaps… like to see a movie?”

Oh.

Aikka hadn’t even remotely considered that possibility. She’d heard of his reputation as a bachelor, so she’d thought he’d just been being nice asking her about her life. That certainly recontextualized some things. She had never dated a human before either. The few boyfriends in the past that she’d had were all ailurine like her. But she wasn’t actually against the idea. He was tall and decent looking, but he was also the Crown Prince, which had its own sets of pros and cons. Seeing one movie together probably wouldn’t hurt though.

“Uh, sure, when?” Aikka was completely unsure how to act properly in this scenario. She fought the instinct to bow or call him Sir or Your Royal Highness.

“Can you do later tonight? Say, 10 or 11 PM? My suite, as that would be best for reasons of privacy.” Alexander relaxed a bit, that was the hard part over. Perhaps it was presumptive of him to set it for later that night, but he also didn’t particularly care either, he wanted this to happen as soon as possible.

“I believe 11 PM should be fine,” Aikka had wanted to watch some shows tonight, but that could always be held off until tomorrow.

“Good, good, thank you,” Alex gave her a genuine smile and opened the door back out to the hallway for her.

Stromharad, Asendavia
1837 Hours, March 21st, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“Hi Mom,” Aikka sat down on the side of her bed.

“How have you been doing, sweetheart, work treating you well still?” Aikka’s mother sounded as chipper as ever.

“About the same as usual, how about you and Dad?”

“We’ve both been doing well. I’ve been getting a bit more into gardening, mostly some vegetables to supplement my cooking. Your father’s actually started getting into hunting recently. You remember the old rifle he got from his uncle? He’s been hunting with that.”

“Really? I never would’ve pictured Dad as much of a hunter. Is he doing it for sport or meat?” Aikka could hear chopping from the other side of the phone. “You cooking, Mom?”

“I’m chopping some carrots for a stew right now. And he does it for a little of both. I’m actually going to be using some deer he brought home in this stew tonight.”

Aikka’s tail slowly went back and forth. It had been a while since she’d last been home to visit her parents and siblings, it would be nice to properly see them again. She did have some time off coming up in a few weeks after all. Even if it meant having to be away from Alex for a bit. “Hey Mom, I’ve got a week off in three weeks, how about I come over and visit?”

“Oh I’d love that, Aikka. You could visit with Uncle Kamjera and his kids too, they still live close by.”

“What about Uncle Kaleva and Aunt Kairi?”

“They moved up to Forossa a few months ago, and your cousin Arska is going to university in Tungrad, he wants to be a doctor.”

“Huh, why didn’t you mention that during the last phone call?”

“It probably just didn’t come up in conversation or it slipped my mind that I needed to tell you. Speaking of, I’ll have to call Erling and Tanja to tell them that you’ll be flying out here, maybe they can come over and visit while you’re here too. Jari’s still living with us but he’s still at work so I’ll just tell him when he gets home.”

“Jari still working at that bar? I remember him complaining about it a lot the last time I talked to him,” Jari did a lot of complaining frankly, but the bar he’d been working at was legitimately pretty shitty.

“No, he actually got an office job recently, pays a lot better according to him, and he’s been helping out with more expenses lately, so I’m going to assume that it actually does. I can’t wait to have all my babies back at the house together again, even if only temporarily.”

Aikka couldn’t help but smile at her mother’s excitement. It was a shame that she couldn’t tell her everything.

1 Like

Stromharad, Asendavia
0013 Hours, March 22nd, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“You have a good call with your mom, Aikka?” Alex and Aikka were lying down on his bed watching a movie, though neither of them were really paying attention to it, Alex had already seen it a few times and it wasn’t really Aikka’s kind of movie.

“Yeah, it was a pretty standard phone call with her, she and Dad seem to still be doing good. Which reminds me, I’m going to be flying out and staying with them during my vacation in a few weeks from now. They’re going to try and get my other siblings to visit while I’m out there too. Hope you don’t miss me too much while I’m gone,” she teased.

“I don’t know, I think I might die from the loneliness, I’ll probably just waste away without you,” he playfully booped her nose. “We’ll have to make the most of what time we have left then.”

“It’s only going to be for a week, and it’s like three weeks away.”

“Every single moment is precious, and my world will be darker without you around,” he clutched his chest and reached an arm out toward the empty air.

“Oh please, stop being so melodramatic, it doesn’t suit you well,” she said while laughing nonetheless. She rested her head in the crook of his shoulder and hugged him. “Just two days away now.”

“Three,” he corrected her, kissing her forehead.

“No, it’s past midnight now, two.”

“We have yet to go to sleep, so it might as well be three still.”

“Now you’re just being pedantic.”

“Oh yeah? And what are you going to— FUCK!” Aikka had turned her head and bit into his shoulder lightly, not quite hard enough to break skin. Alex stopped himself from completely shouting but he was still louder than he would’ve liked. “Ok ok ok, I give in!”

Aikka let go and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Two days.”

“Yeah, two. And one more day until you get your dress,” he hastily agreed with her.

“I’m glad we agree. Maybe I’ll even wear the dress for you before the wedding, if you keep being good,” she rested her head back into the crook of his shoulder and closed her eyes.

“You’re a little demon, you know,” he playfully scolded her.

“Just the way you like it.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
0925 Hours, March 22nd, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Terje woke up to the sound of his alarm. He fucking despised it, that’s why it was so effective. It almost never failed to get him out of bed. He got out of bed and walked over to his phone to shut it off, another measure to make sure he didn’t just hit snooze and stay in bed. He glanced back at the bed, Sigrun was still there, fast asleep. He wouldn’t wake her up, he decided, she needed the sleep. Throwing some clothes on in a hurry, he took a minute to brush his teeth and comb his hair before hurrying out of his suite. On the way to his destination, he bumped into his brother Ademar.

“What’s got you in such a rush, Terje?” Ademar asked, his brother passing him by and continuing to rush on to whatever his destination was.

“Sorry Addy, I’ve got some business to discuss with Uncle Yngvar, so I’m in a bit of a rush, seeya!” Terje called back and turned a corner, disappearing.

Ademar shook his head and continued walking. He had no particular destination in mind, he simply felt like walking. Though it would be rather good fortune if he came across Alex during his walk, he’d been meaning to talk to him. Though if he didn’t come across him, that would be fine too, he wasn’t in any particular rush. He politely greeted each servant that he passed by on his walk around the palace. Even if he had no need of them, he still liked to be polite, it didn’t hurt to be kind. After a lap around the palace, he finally came across Alexander near their parents’ suite.

“Ah, Alex, good to see you. You got time to talk? It’s not particularly urgent if you’re in a rush like Terje was earlier.”

“Why was he in a rush? Anyway, yeah, sure, we can talk,” he started to walk alongside Ademar.

“Something about a meeting with Uncle Yngvar, not sure what about. It doesn’t really matter though,” Alex waved his hand as if to dismiss that topic. “I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to which of our other residences I could move into.”

“You want to move? Why?” Alexander was genuinely surprised. He hadn’t heard Ademar express any interest in moving prior to now.

“I don’t really want to live in the city anymore, I’d prefer somewhere that’s a bit quieter, though still nearby, I don’t want to go all the way out to Drangleic.”

“Ah, well, have you talked to Dad yet?” Alex scratched the back of his head. It would feel weird with Ademar gone, if he did end up moving.

“I plan on talking to him at some point, yes. I just wanted your opinion. Certainly doesn’t have to be anywhere as big as the palace here, it’s probably just going to be me for some time until I get a wife.”

“I honestly don’t understand why people make fun of me so much for being single when you’re even more chronically single than I am,” Alex frowned and looked at his brother as they walked. Ademar was a good five inches shorter than him, but he was still 5’10” so he was at least average, for humans, that is. Other than height, they looked rather similar, and occasionally people who didn’t know them that well would confuse them for each other, though Alex never really got that given the height difference.

“Well, you’re the older brother and heir, I’m just a spare. It’s not quite as important for me as it is for you. Still, you’re not wrong. I just haven’t found the right person.”

Alex didn’t exactly like where the conversation was headed, so he tried thinking quickly of some places Ademar could move into. “Well, there’s the old Torvakare residence.”

“The one near Kutalvot? Yes, that one could do. I remember us going there as kids. Thanks for the suggestion, Alex. Have a good day,” Ademar clapped his brother on the shoulder and went his own way.

“You too, Addy,” Alex watched him leave. He’d miss him, though he still had no idea when he would be leaving, if at all. He shrugged and continued walking toward the kitchens, he needed breakfast.

1 Like

Stromharad, Asendavia
1003 Hours, March 23rd, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka felt as if she was going to puke, her nerves were that strong. She had made sure to completely request the day off in order to go buy the dress and get fitted, now she just had to actually get herself ready to go. It was one thing to talk about doing something, and another to actually go and do it. She paced around her room, went to the bathroom and splashed herself with water, and laid down on her bed for a few minutes. None of it particularly helped. She couldn’t talk to Alex either, as he was soon going to be busy talking with his father.

“Fuck it,” she hopped off her bed and grabbed a bottle of whiskey and a shot glass. Pouring herself a shot, she downed it, and she poured another one and quickly downed that too. She stopped there as she knew she’d be regretting it if she did more. Throwing on her best clothing, she spent a painstaking amount of time in front of the mirror brushing, doing her mascara, and putting on some temporary dye. Alex would hate her for this, he loved her eyes the way they were, but Aikka also put in some blue colored contacts.

The mirror reflected someone she didn’t recognize, but she was willing to put up with it for this. She grabbed one of her better looking but smaller purses and started making her way out of the palace to the boutique

Stromharad, Asendavia
1030 Hours, March 23rd, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex was sitting in his father’s office waiting for him, his legs crossed and his head resting on his hand. He’d only been waiting for a few minutes in truth, but his father was usually a bit more punctual. Not that it really mattered, a few minutes was only a few minutes after all. One of his father’s bodyguards was also in the room with him, an ursine by the name of Arvijan. He was on the tall side even for an ursine at 8’5”, and Alex didn’t even want to guess at his weight, certainly over double his own. Alex hadn’t acknowledged him once since he’d entered the room, but he knew Arvijan didn’t mind, he was rather professional about his job.

Finally, his father entered the room. Arvijan immediately stood up and gave him a salute until his father gave him the okay to sit back down. Alex remained seated the whole time. Jon VII took a few moments to go through a few papers once he seated himself at his desk.

“I’m sorry for being a bit late, Alex, I know that you’re aware how those meetings can go sometimes,” his father spoke without looking up, still sorting through a few papers.

“It makes no matter, I’ve only been here a few minutes myself,” Alexander shifted in his seat and started sitting properly in it.

“They question everything,” his father continued. “Every little detail. Most don’t even know what they’re really talking about, at least in regards to today’s discussion. They all have their own uses though, and some of the advice is appreciated if unnecessary. Half the time I wonder why I even call those meetings to start instead of just leaving them to rot, they all have their own states to look after anyway.”

“It would be in your prerogative,” Alex agreed. “You’re ultimately the decision maker, their words have no power.”

“Officially yes, but sometimes they make good points I hadn’t considered. Still, I prefer the Cabinet to the Synod. The Cabinet has a use and they do what I tell them to. The Synod, those of them who aren’t in the Cabinet themselves at least, just get to go home afterwards and feel good about getting to have participated,” Jon VII finished sorting through papers and slid a folder toward Alex. “I know you’re not one who enjoys these sorts of matters, but I believe it’s important you’re kept in the know nonetheless. It’s good to be prepared for the future.”

Alex took the folder and opened it. The first thing he saw was a map of Luthaiya. He glanced back up at his father before continuing to look through it. Detailed maps of Luthaiya’s roads, the capital, Sevigograd, and of the current de facto borders. Officially, the Luthaiyan Civil War was still ongoing, and with no real end in sight, with multiple breakaway groups controlling different parts of the country and at least three groups claiming to be the legitimate government. The reality was that actual fighting had slowly come to a halt perhaps six, seven years ago, with only minor flare ups happening every now and then since. The Luthaiyan National Government of Unity was the group currently in control of the capital and was recognized by the most nations as the rightful government. Asendavia didn’t officially recognize any of the groups claiming to be the rightful government, nor any of the breakaway states. That was as far as the rest of the world was concerned however.

Behind the scenes, Asendavia had been funding Asendavian separatists in eastern Luthaiya for over fifteen years now, in addition to Valokchian separatists in the west of Luthaiya after Serpiko Pavlovic seized power in Valokchia back in 2018 and came to an agreement with the Asendavian government. Both Pavlovic and Alex’s father agreed that Luthaiya was a failed experiment which needed to be ended. Alex was already aware of much of this. What he hadn’t been aware of was that it seemed like things were progressing. There were plans for referendums in some of the eastern separatist states to join Asendavia, and likewise for the western separatists to join Valokchia.

“I doubt the rest of the Urth would take kindly to this happening,” Alexander noted.

“If they care about what’s going on in Luthaiya.”

Alexander continued going through the folder and came upon invasion plans for the rest of Luthaiya after the integration of the separatists. He looked back up at his father. “And they’d take even less kindly to this. I understand that we don’t have as many ideological hangups about working with fascists as most countries perhaps, but I think even some of our allies may have some qualms about this.”

“Officially we’ll both be going in separately to restore order.”

“This isn’t Toloria where we had at least somewhat of a justification. Even then, the invasion of Toloria wasn’t particularly well liked to say the least, and they weren’t even annexed.”

“You weren’t even born until months after the invasion had ended. You don’t know what was going on.”

“I’m not saying it wasn’t justified, but Luthaiya will not be another Toloria. Luthaiya is something that will be magnitudes more difficult to justify, even with how it is in its current state. We’re not seeking to install a new government, this is an annexation, even if we say we’re just moving in to ‘restore order.’ But let’s be real here, the issue is Valokchia. We may not care, but others do.”

“You’re not wrong, it will be a rather significant PR issue that we’ll have to deal with despite officially going in separately. If it was Pejic who was still in power, we wouldn’t have these issues, but he’s not in power, the republic is dead. Pavlovic has been more receptive to the idea than Pejic ever was anyway. If we want to bring our brothers back into the fold he’s a necessary evil, nothing more, nothing less. If he was to be overthrown tomorrow and the republic was restored, nothing would change about our plans for Luthaiya.”

“This is why I despise this sort of political maneuvering, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Either Luthaiya stays a shithole for the next few decades or we move in and the rest of the world condemns us for it. Fucking hell,” Alex threw the folder back onto the desk.

Arvijan took the moment to slip out of the room and stand guard outside of it instead to give two some privacy. He gave a deep bow as he left.

Alex and his father sat there for a time, unmoving, until Jon brought out a half-empty bottle of akevitt and two glasses which he poured the akevitt into. “Drink,” he pushed a glass toward Alex.

Alex accepted the glass without a word and started drinking. If he thought either of his brothers could handle it, Alex would’ve given up his rights to the throne by now, but Ademar would be an ineffectual Emperor and Terje would hate every minute of it. Then that would leave it to Uncle Ivan, and while he might rule decently enough, then it would go to Hjalmar. Even though Hjalmar would be somewhat suited for the role, he was still married to Ingrid, which would massively complicate things. So, here he was, stuck as the heir to a throne he didn’t really want.

“Had things gone differently, how they were supposed to, we’d all just be cousins to whoever would be the current Emperor,” Jon mused as he toyed with his glass of akevitt. “But no, the throne was thrust upon my father, and then it was thrust upon me at far too young of an age,” he got up and walked to the window, glass in hand.

“You never really talk about Uncle Adelar.”

“What’s there to say? He died long before I was born, and your grandfather didn’t really like talking about him much, probably because he was still processing it in his own way. What little I really know about him I learned from my aunts. If he hadn’t killed himself, we’d just be another branch of the family, one among thousands. But reality rarely goes that smoothly. He had his own demons, and he dealt with them probably the only way he knew how,” Jon took a deep drink from his glass and continued staring out the window. “Maybe he and whatever kids he could’ve had would have dealt with things differently, who’s to say?”

“We can do all the speculating in the world we want, but it won’t change anything,” Alex got up from his seat and stood beside his father at the window. It had started raining as they were talking earlier. He hoped Aikka had brought an umbrella with her, it didn’t look like it was going to let up any time soon. “When do you plan on going through with the referendums and everything else?”

“Not for some time still. Even after the referendums are held and they’re brought into Asendavia, it’ll be a good bit until the invasion starts to divy up the rest of Luthaiya,” Jon put his arm around Alex. “I’m sorry that you’re included in these things, Alex, but it’s important that you’re in the know. That you’re prepared, so that you don’t end up like me.”

Stromharad, Asendavia
2133 Hours, March 23rd, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Aikka stared at herself in the mirror. She still couldn’t quite believe it. Tomorrow she’d be a married woman. She did a little twirl and burst out laughing. Her tail was all in a craze too, she couldn’t help it. Just earlier today she felt so nervous, and now, she felt nothing but excitement. Arvid would be coming down tomorrow and they’d just have to wait until after midnight to have the ceremony. She strutted out of the bathroom into Alex’s bedroom, where he was waiting for her, already kneeling. Wordlessly, he took her hand and kissed it.

“May I have this dance, my good lady?” He looked deep into her eyes, her natural deep dark brown eyes, for she’d made sure to take out the blue contacts as soon as she’d gotten back to the palace.

“You may, my lord,” she bade him to rise and took his hands in hers. Slowly, they went round and round his bedroom, again, again, and again. The two of them continued dancing long into the night.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1138 Hours, March 24th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex was waiting at the entrance to the palace as the car carrying Arvid pulled up. Watching his step, the stairs were still a bit slippery, he went to greet Arvid. Waving the chauffeur off, he opened the car door, and Arvid stepped out. Arvid Havlik, the fourth son of the Duke of Majula, stood a couple inches shorter than Alex and had dark brown hair compared to Alex’s own light blonde hair, but both of them sported dark red eyes, the hallmark of Asendavian high nobility. Though he’d been a priest for a few years now, he wore no priestly garments today, and was ostensibly only here for a friendly visit that would last a day or two.

“It’s good to see you in person Arvid, it’s been too long,” Alex held his hand out.

“It’s only been, what, five months?” Arvid stepped out of the car unassisted but clasped Alex’s hand in his and shook his hand.

“Give or take,” Alex began walking back up the steps to the palace. “The steps are still a bit slippery from yesterday’s rain, so watch your step.”

“Well noted,” Arvid followed close behind Alex. “When will I get to meet the bride?” he whispered.

“It’s possible we might see her while we’re walking through the halls, in which case I’ll try to discreetly point her out. If we don’t, you’ll just have to wait until later tonight. She already knows the time and which chapel,” Alex looked straight ahead as he talked and made sure he wasn’t being too loud. “Anyway, now that you’re here, wanna watch some baseball? It’s the preseason still, but it’s something. There’s also a few movies you’d probably like that we could see.”

“Baseball sounds fine, anyone interesting playing today?”

“Drangleic and Mirrah, that’d probably be a decent one to watch,” Alex opened the doors for Arvid and led him into the palace. “So, how’s Drahokamkulahmo been treating you?”

Arvid shrugged. “Well enough. Truth be told I’d have actually preferred a smaller city, but it’s not actually all that bad.”

“And how’s our beloved Kirsti doing? Still hot headed as ever?” The last time Alex saw Kirsti in person, maybe seven or eight months ago when he went to Drahokamkulahmo to visit Arvid, she had berated Alex for being single while also somehow managing to blame it on Arvid. When she wasn’t yelling at you, she was a rather lovely person.

“She’s doing fine,” Arvid smirked to himself. “Pregnant too, finally.”

Alex clapped him on the shoulder and shook him around a little bit. “Congratulations man, you’ll be a good father. Let’s hope it’s twins, or better yet, triplets.”

“Shit, don’t go saying that or it’ll actually happen. I can’t imagine how ailurines deal with that shit, given that’s basically normal for them, so I don’t even want to think of the possibility that it could be triplets. Twins I’d be fine with, actually, but that’d still be a fucking mess to deal with.”

The pair did not come across Aikka on their way to Alex’s suite.

Stromharad, Asendavia
0019 Hours, March 25th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex inspected himself in front of a mirror. He’d been in front of this mirror for at least half an hour, going over every tiny detail. He’d thought about slicking his hair back, but Aikka liked his hair how it was. He’d thought about shaving what little beard he had, but Aikka liked that too. The suit he was wearing he’d worn to Hjalmar’s wedding, a rather simple burgundy colored suit with a plain black tie. He thought it went rather well with his eyes, close in color but distinct enough. One, actually two, things he had with him that he hadn’t been able to bring to Hjalmar’s wedding were his shashka and kindjal, whose scabbards were attached to either side of him, the shashka on the left and the kindjal on the right.

He drew his shashka and inspected it closely. He’d never actually used it, so it was in rather decent condition. Compared to the scabbard it rested in, which was inlaid with gold in intricate designs, the hilt of his sword was much more plain, but still fair to look at. Real beauty, however, lay in his kindjal. The scabbard was beautifully ornamented with gold filigree and rubies embedded in it, and the hilt was made of pure ivory. Much like his shashka, he’d never actually used his kindjal either. He only ever wore the both of them for important occasions. Sheathing his shashka, he took one last look at himself in the mirror and then entered the main room of the chapel.

The chapel they were in was one of the smaller ones in the palace, and often went ignored by most of the people within it. Still, its few stained glass windows depicting key moments in the arrival of the Gliat Sheans to Asendavia were a sight to see and would’ve looked beautiful in the daylight. Arvid, who was sitting down waiting for him, stood up as he walked in.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you look that good before,” Arvid commented, giving a mock bow.

“And I don’t think you’ll ever get the chance to see me look this good again,” Alex readjusted his tie slightly and looked Arvid in the eye. “You have the crowns ready?”

“I do indeed,” he crouched down and grabbed the crowns from behind the altar to show that they were there before he put them back again. “I’ve also got my mask with me,” Arvid grabbed a plainly ornamented mask from behind the altar to show it off to Alex. Much like the wedding crowns, Arvid’s mask was made from electrum, and though it was plainer in most regards, it still had its own rather unique flare. His mask bore the face of a dragon and had two onyxes where its eyes would be, with two small holes below that so he could actually see with the mask on.

“Taking inspiration from the Cryrians are we?” Alex raised an eyebrow, mask wearing was more a tradition of Cryrian Ademarist priests, something they’d gotten from the natives. “Though I don’t think their priests wear masks quite like that either.”

“You’re not wrong. I got the idea from the Cryrians, yes, but I put my own flair to it. Plus, dragons are holy creatures after all, so why not wear the face of one? It, uh, definitely gets a bit heavy though after a while, but I don’t wear it for every occasion either, only certain ones,” Arvid put the mask back with the crowns and stood up. “Is the bride ready to be consulted with?”

“Last I checked, yes. Don’t worry, she doesn’t bite, hard, at least,” he gave Arvid a pat on the back and pointed at a room next to the one Alex had come out.

“Please stop, I’d rather not imagine anything that I don’t want to,” Arvid walked up to the room and gave three quick knocks on the door.

“Enter,” Aikka called out.

He opened the door and closed it quickly behind him.

Like Alex had been earlier, Aikka was examining herself in the mirror, perfecting every last detail. She was brushing herself as Arvid came in, glancing at him as he stood at the door.

“So, you’re the friend that Alex has told me about,” she maintained a level tone as she spoke.

“And you’re the woman who stole his heart,” Arvid nodded.

“That’s a bit of a cliche way of putting it, but I suppose it’s not entirely inaccurate. He was the one to approach me first, though.”

“I’ll freely admit, I don’t really understand why he chose you. He could’ve had any else, but now he has to keep this hidden for God knows how long.”

“He says that the two of you have been friends since you were teenagers. Has he actually displayed any real interest in anyone before?”

“No,” Arvid admitted. “He only really put the bare minimum into all of his previous relationships, but he’d never expressed interest in non-humans before either.”

Aikka put down her brush and started reapplying her mascara. “He likes to say it was my eyes that drew him in. Whether or not that was the entirety of his reasoning I don’t know, but he does compliment my eyes a lot. I’m certainly not as endowed as many human women, so it wasn’t that. Maybe he sought to rebel against what society told him he must do. I’m just speculating. All I know and really care about is that he loves me, that’s all that matters to me. I don’t particularly care that we have to keep it secret, though it does make it inconvenient at times, and there are many things that I yearn to do with him that we simply can’t.”

Arvid watched her closely. “I don’t truly hold any ill will against you, just concerns.”

“Concerns that we all share, then. We both know what would happen if this were to get out, we’ve accepted the risks, and we’re prepared for the consequences if that does happen.”

Arvid left the safety of the door and walked closer. “I don’t doubt that you two will make a good couple.”

Aikka finally turned away from the mirror to focus on Arvid. “Thank you. Alex trusts you with this, so I shall place my trust in you as well. Besides, I was the one who asked him to marry me, so I’d be a shitty wife if I didn’t trust the priest he chose to conduct it.”

“Did you now?” Arvid was amused. That was something else he might be able to rib Alex about.

“I kind of put him on the spot while we were laying in bed. I’m not sure guilt tripping would be quite the right word to use, but I did something akin to that,” Aikka admitted. She got off the stool she was sitting on and stretched. “What kind of ceremony can I expect? I haven’t actually been to a wedding in ages and it was just my aunt and uncle getting married last time I went to one.”

“Well, royal weddings are decently different in procedure, but also since we’re really going off the books here, I’m kinda just winging it really and going with what feels right,” Arvid offered his hand out to Aikka. “If you’re ready, then we should probably get started”

Aikka graciously accepted his hand. “I’d rather not die an unmarried hag.”

Arvid chuckled softly and opened the door, leading her into the main room of the chapel. In silence, he led her to where Alex was standing beneath the altar and he took his own place behind the altar, bending down to grab and put on his mask first before beginning.

“Great Progenitor, bear witness over this humble ceremony and guide my hand in linking the Blood of Ademar to that of the Vahtaralja. Let Ademar bear witness to the marriage of his son.”

Arvid walked down from the altar with a bit of cloth in hand and bid the both of them to hold their partner’s hands. Once they had done so, he tied their hands together with the cloth and stepped back.

“Now that you are tied together, you have been inextricably linked to one another. You shall move as one until the ceremony is over,” Arvid went back to the altar and grabbed a pitcher of water, a small jar of honey, and a spoon. Coming back to them, he dipped the spoon into the jar. Already knowing what to expect, Alex opened his mouth, and Arvid slowly drizzled a bit of the honey into his mouth. Aikka opened her mouth next and he did likewise for her. Next, he took the pitcher of water and put it to Alex’s mouth, and then Aikka’s.

“Ademar, you who saw beyond the veil and glimpsed the workings of the world, bless us now, bless our past, bless our future. Until the sun and moon reunite, until east becomes west and north becomes south, until the world rejoins you, bless us.”

Arvid went over to Alex and drew his shashka from its sheath. He lightly tapped Alex’s head with the flat of it three times and turned and tapped Aikka’s head three times with the flat. Returning it to its sheath, he then drew Alex’s kindjal.

“I am going to have to prick some of your fingers,” he warned Aikka.

“Wait what?”

“Symbolic joining of your blood and all that. I’m gonna have to prick his fingers and my own as well, then I wipe it onto the cloth tying both your hands together, further symbolizing your union, y’know. If you’d like, I’ll just start by pricking my own. Glad I don’t have to do this sort of thing for every fucking wedding I preside over.”

Before Aikka had a chance to respond, Arvid was already drawing his own blood. He wiped the kindjal clean on the cloth joining them, and then he did the same for Alex, and did Aikka last, who hesitantly agreed. Finally he put the kindjal back in its sheath and walked back to the altar yet again to grab the wedding crowns. First he crowned Aikka, whose crown was encrusted with many small indigo tourmalines and white opals surrounding and spreading out from a central emerald. Alex’s crown, in comparison, was encrusted with fewer but larger gems, a trio of red diamonds flanked by an alternating pattern of demantoids and sapphires. Alex knelt to receive his.

“With the joining of your blood and your crowning, your own kingdom has been established. May the God-on-Urth let this kingdom reign forever and let Ademar be its guardian. You two can uh, dance for a bit now. Probably not for too long though, I just need to figure out what parts I’m going to skip over next,” Arvid pulled a piece of paper from a pocket and went and sat on a stool next to the altar, carefully reading it.

Alex sighed. “I’m going to have to get absolutely smashed with him tomorrow to make up for this.”

“It’s definitely been a bit odd so far, but it’s been… interesting too,” Aikka pressed her body close to Alex’s and the two started to dance around the small chapel.

“Believe me, he’s left out a bunch of stuff, both probably to make this go by quickly and because it’s just the three of us in here. Normally the jar of honey and the pitcher of water would’ve been shattered after he gave it to us, but that would’ve made a pretty big mess and a decent bit of noise, so yeah I can see why he didn’t do that. And the pricking of the fingers should’ve also included both sets of parents, he shortened a lot of the prayers, and he didn’t burn any incense over us. Still, I appreciate what he’s doing considering the circumstances.”

Alex and Aikka continued to dance for another ten minutes or so as Arvid looked over the paper and scratched his head. When he finally stood up from his stool, he cleared his throat and approached the couple. “So uh, I think that’s it actually. We can’t do half the shit that I’ve written down and I don’t think you two would want to hear me drone on with more prayers. Congrats on being married now,” he untied their hands and gave the cloth to Alex. “Make sure you keep that somewhere safe, sorry I couldn’t really do more for you.”

“It’s fine Arvid, you did enough. We’ll get blackout drunk tomorrow, I promise you that.”

“Alright, that sounds fair. I’ll let you two be now, I’m probably going to get a headstart on the drinking. You should probably take the crowns off now though and return them. Quickly,” Arvid took his mask off and gathered the things he brought with him before hurrying out of the chapel.

“Yeah he’s got a point, it would be extremely bad if these were to be found missing, so I’ll just go put them back right now,” Arvid took his crown off and tucked it under his arm, and he tucked Aikka’s crown under his other arm.

“I’ll just be waiting for you, then. In bed, “ she said teasingly and lifted her dress for him a bit before scampering out of the room, leaving Alex alone in the chapel.

He looked down at the crowns tucked under his arms. They’d been the ones his parents had worn on their wedding day. He wondered how they had felt.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1212 Hours, March 25th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

“There is no Luthaiyan people, only disparate Asendavians and Valokchians pretending they’re not. They had their own attempt at building a state and they’ve failed, so we have to step in.”

“Once the referendum goes through, how will the separatist territories be incorporated? Some of what we’ll be integrating traditionally belonged to the Duchy of Majula.”

“Over 200 years ago perhaps. I doubt they’d want to see the territories that they’ve been controlling for some time now divvied up upon their accession into Asendavia. But we’re not going to be making any of them into nobility, that’s for damn sure. We’ll keep it an Imperial Territory at least until the rest of Luthaiya is dealt with and then we’ll reorganize the new territories wholesale.”

Alex was paying the barest amount of attention to the meeting going on around him. His father had somehow managed to rope him into attending a meeting of the Synod. The topic was Luthaiya yet again.

“Will public opinion be in favor of the invasion?”

“Likely more in favor than the invasion of Toloria at least, we’re bringing our kin back into the fold, not invading a nation an ocean away.”

“What about the non-Ademarists in Luthaiya? What are we going to do with them?” Alex asked, almost absent-mindedly. While the territories they were looking to incorporate had more Ademarists compared to the parts Valokchia was going to annex, there was still a decent number who weren’t, especially among the vulpines.

It was a rather uncomfortable question that had been at the back of most of their minds. By law, Ademarism was the state religion and all citizens had to be Ademarist. In today’s day and age no one was actually checking whether you really were an Ademarist or not, but you did have to be registered with an Ademarist church. They could make an exemption for the new territories or even get rid of the law entirely, but the latter would be political suicide and the former would be unpopular among some but at least doable.

“What about a population transfer?” One of the other members of the Synod broke the silence.

If the invasion of Luthaiya was the beginning of a fire, a population transfer afterwards would be throwing a canister of gasoline onto it. It did, however, have the advantage of keeping the status quo in regards to the law.

“That would involve the movement of millions of people, we’d be condemning them to live under fascists, the potential public outrage could be immense! Mirhaime and Sayyed were sanctioned for less!”

“We’re already going to be taking a blow by invading Luthaiya with a flimsy casus belli at best, what’s another one?”

“An invasion is one thing, we know how to deal with the blowback from those. We’re talking about forced relocation here! We’d be forcing out possibly millions of people! Any people we get from Valokchia during the transfer likely wouldn’t make up for the people we’d lose in the region regardless.”

“We sell the land for cheap than, and encourage people to move out west. It’s good land over there, and the east is starting to get crowded.”

The meeting began to devolve into heated debate over what to do with the land, with the people. Even without Alex having asked when he did, the question would’ve been brought up at some point in the future. It was inevitable. But he felt guilty. He raised the matter to their attention, and now they were discussing the pros and cons of expelling potentially millions of people from their homes. Alex wished he’d never brought it up at all, then he could’ve just watched it happen without feeling any inkling of responsibility for it. He felt powerless. He hated it.

Stromharad, Asendavia
2239 Hours, March 25th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex stared up at his ceiling. He’d been lying in bed for perhaps an hour now, staring, thinking. Ademarism was what upheld the social fabric of Asendavia. To be Asendavian was to be Ademarist. That’s what was often said at least. Once there were many different Asendavic peoples in mainland Yasteria. Now, there were just two. The Valokchians, and the Asendavians. Both Ademarist. Even under Vayanist Vulpine rule for most of their history, the Asendavic Valokchians maintained their Ademarism, and it bound them together, defined them. The Asendavians were self ruling. Unlike the Valokchians, they conquered their surroundings, assimilated the native cultures. Not just humans were Asendavian, but the dwarves, the ursines, the ailurines.

Unlike Valokchian Ademarism, Asendavian Ademarism incorporated, it was inclusive rather than exclusive. Without it, what would it mean to be an Asendavian? No, to be Asendavian was to be Ademarist. But did that mean the Luthaiyans who weren’t needed to go? They didn’t deserve to be uprooted, but perhaps they’d also be more accepted in Valokchia, where they freely could be whoever they wanted to be, within reason. Alex didn’t really want to think about the quality of life in Valokchia and how it’s changed since it became fascist.

He was slowly coming to the conclusion, however, that it didn’t really matter. It wasn’t his decision to make. It was his father’s. He could talk to his father perhaps, but what was really best for Asendavia? Just because he felt guilty, did that give him the right to possibly stop what could be best for Asendavia? What was actually best for Asendavia, Alex didn’t actually know, but maybe it would be easier, simpler, to just ignore what he was feeling. Let the flow take its course, and just accept whatever conclusion they came up with.

The door to his bedroom opened slowly.

“Hey,” Alex’s voice reeked with despondency. He didn’t even bother raising his head to see who opened his door, he just kept staring at the ceiling. He felt the mattress move a bit, almost certainly Aikka, and then he felt the warmth of her body next to him.

“I’ve barely seen you all day, you’ve just been hiding away in here. What’s wrong?” she rested her head on his stomach and idly started running her fingers along his arm.

“I’ve just been thinking,” he said quietly.

“About what? Talk to me.”

“I can’t. I just can’t tell you. I can’t talk about this with anyone. National security and all.” Alex sounded so sad, so weak.

Aikka lifted her head, he was still staring at the ceiling, he refused to look at her. She got on top of him and straddled his chest, forcing him to look at her. Her hand lightly caressed his cheek.

“Do you want some cheering up? I could help you forget about whatever’s worrying you~.”

“No, no, but thank you, love. If we could just cuddle right now, I’d be happy with that.”

Reluctantly, Aikka got off Alex and laid back down next to him. With her beside him, Alex’s thoughts gradually began to slow, and then they came to a crawl, and eventually they stopped altogether, Alex having fallen asleep.

2 Likes

???, ???
??? Hours, March 26th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex stood amidst a field of wheat which encompassed the world. The noonday sun mercilessly beat down on him from high above. He ambled aimlessly through the field, the wheat softly brushing against his bare skin. He was content, he was happy. For a long time he wandered the wheat silently, with nary a noise to break the silence but the occasional breeze which rippled through the field. Finally, Alex came upon a gap in the wheat, a small clearing. Taking a seat on the ground, he waited. For what he was waiting for, he didn’t know, but he knew he must.

Looking up, the sun was in the exact same position as it had been when he’d begun walking. Taurinko clearly wasn’t performing his duties for whatever reason, he wasn’t yielding his position to Kuna. It wasn’t for Alex to question though, perhaps the God-on-Urth had a plan. In front of him, he heard the wheat begin to rustle, the first sign of something other than him that he’d seen yet. After a few more moments, the wheat parted and Aikka stepped into the clearing.

“Hello dear,” Alex said, remaining seated on the ground, staring at her. She was as bare as he was.

“Good afternoon, love,” she walked over and sat down next to Alex, leaning into him. The two of them sat peacefully together, watching the wheat ripple with the breeze. They were content, they were happy. But Alex broke the silence.

“Where are we?” he asked, looking down at her, into her eyes, her chestnut-colored eyes. Alex saw right into her. He couldn’t look away.

“Where do you think?” she responded, staring into his eyes, his crimson-colored eyes. The color of blood.

Alex was silent for a long time. He knew where they were, but he didn’t wish to say it. Aikka knew too, and she knew that he knew. A faint smile was present on both of their lips, no words were needed.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it? To think that so much blood has been spilt here, but the beauty of the land remains,” Alex put his forehead to Aikka’s, their eyes still locked together.

“And there’s yet more blood to be spilled in this land, our original homeland,” Aikka whispered softly, tenderly.

His own homeland was beyond sight, far into the west and beyond the horizon, but it was still there, occupied. He stayed silent.

Aikka continued. “Is the blood worth it though?”

“I don’t know,” Alex admitted. He’d probably never have that answer, whether or not it was worth it. He had accepted that already.

Aikka looked away and got up. Walking over to the edge of the clearing, she tore some wheat from the ground and walked back over to Alex, handing him the wheat. “Sometimes uprooting is necessary.”

“According to them,” Alex examined the wheat which Aikka had given him. It looked perfectly healthy, normal. “According to them, it’s for the health of the rest of the field.”

“Is it? Or is the rest of the field already rotten and decaying?”

“No.”

“Then why tear up healthy wheat from the field?”

“As you said, as they believe, sometimes uprooting is necessary, it’s a preventative action.”

“And with less wheat, it’ll be a poorer harvest.”

“Until they bring in more from elsewhere to supplement that which was removed.”

“And the land will never be the same again.”

“Nothing can stay the same forever.”

“But this is rushing the natural process.”

“We no longer live in a natural world, we ourselves broke the natural process,” Alex put the wheat down on the ground next to him. He refused to meet her eye.

Aikka said nothing more, but she looked at him with an odd look on her face. He couldn’t quite make out what exactly it meant. She turned around and walked to the edge of the clearing, where she stopped, her tail swishing gently from side to side. Alex watched her, unsure what to do, until he got up and began to follow her. She began walking again as soon as he got up. The two of them wandered through the fields together, Aikka leading and Alex following, neither speaking a word. For hours they continued on, but the sun never budged from its position in the sky and Aikka never revealing what their destination was.

On the horizon, far in the distance, Alex finally caught a glimpse at what they were walking toward. The sea. Though Aikka was too short to see over the top of the wheat, for this wheat was unusually tall, she looked back at Alex for the first time in their trip with a gentle smile on her face. They still had several hours of walking left to go however, but that wasn’t an issue, as Alex realized that he’d not once yet felt tired from all of their walking. As they got closer, Aikka started talking once again and they began to chit chat about mundane things, like how though the breeze felt nice or the warmth of the sun on their skin.

The field of wheat, which Alex had previously thought was endless, ended about 30 yards from the edge of the water. As he and Aikka finally left the field, Aikka stopped and turned around to face Alex.

“I’ll ask you again, is it worth it?” she took his hands in hers and looked pleadingly at him.

Alex was unsure what to say. He disliked it, but it seemed like an inevitability to him at this point, something he couldn’t stop, perhaps something he shouldn’t stop. He looked away again, he couldn’t bear to meet her gaze. He gave her no answer. He couldn’t.

Aikka looked down and let go of Alex’s hands. She started walking toward the sea, leaving him behind. Alex watched as she got closer and closer to the water. He looked down at his hands. They were covered in blood. Clenching and unclenching his hands, the blood remained, he couldn’t get rid of it. Aikka stopped at the edge of the water, the waves lapping at her feet. Alex made up his mind and started walking, and then running, toward her. Aikka’s gaze remained fixed on the horizon as Alex joined her side. They looked at the ocean together. Reaching out, Alex grasped Aikka’s hand in his and gave it a squeeze.

She looked at him and smiled. “I love you.”

This time, he met her gaze. “I love you too.”

The two of them, holding hands, walked into the ocean and let the waves take them.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
0506 Hours, March 26th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alexander opened his eyes. The darkness was overwhelming. His heart began to race, he tried to clench his fists but couldn’t. Breathe, take a breath, he couldn’t. A chill went down his spine, he couldn’t do anything, he was powerless. Then it went away. He took in a deep, shaky breath, and exhaled. He clenched his fists and unclenched them. Alex sat up and took a look at the clock on his end table, it was only a bit after five in the morning. His heart still racing, he hugged his knees tight to his body. It had been a while since he’d last woken up like that, a few years at least. At least he hadn’t seen anything this time.

Aikka was still sleeping peacefully next to him, unaware that anything had just happened. Alex ran a hand through her fur, to comfort himself, to reassure himself that everything was fine. After a few minutes of this, she began to stir in her sleep, so he forced himself to stop, he didn’t want to wake her up yet. Hopefully her dreams were pleasant. He, however, wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep, not right now. And he couldn’t just sit here, he needed something to distract himself. Reluctantly, he got out of bed and walked to his closet to throw some clothes on. Throwing on a plain shirt and some khakis, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror as he started walking out. The circles under his eyes were getting worse. Pausing, he turned and grabbed a hoodie to put on as well.

Before he left his suite, he took one last look at Aikka. His wife. He still couldn’t quite believe they were married now. She looked so beautiful, sleeping there. Alex briefly considered writing a note in case she woke up while he was gone, but he didn’t intend to be gone terribly long, so he decided against it. With no particular destination in mind, he just needed to walk, he left his suite and began to roam the hallways. At this time in the morning and at this part of the palace, the hallways were silent, though people were probably already up in other parts of the palace, namely the bakery. He wouldn’t be wandering anywhere near there though. His footsteps softly echoing in the barren hallways, Alex wandered, stopping every so often to admire a plant or a painting that he’d passed by a thousand times before. Eventually, his wandering brought him to a chapel. The one he and Aikka had been married in. He hesitated in front of the door, unsure of what he wanted to do. Perhaps some praying might do him good though, so he opened the door after a few moments and entered.

Ivan heard the door to the chapel open behind him. Turning around, he was surprised to see it was Alexander. “Alex. Couldn’t sleep?”

“I could ask the same of you, Uncle. No, however. I woke up not long ago and I don’t think I’m going to be able to get back to sleep for now,” Alex walked over and knelt beside his uncle, who was already kneeling, in front of the altar.

“I’ve yet to sleep myself. Too much on my mind,” Ivan sheepishly admitted. He looked away.

“Luthaiya?” Alex suggested gently. His uncle tensed up at the mere mention of it.

“Yes,” Ivan reluctantly answered. “It’s been one of the few things I’ve been able to think about recently, what with all the meetings I’ve been having with your father, and the Cabinet, and the Synod. It’s bringing back memories of Toloria. Unpleasant memories.”

“It’s been on my mind as well these past few days,” he put his hand on his uncle’s shoulder to comfort him. “It won’t leave my mind.”

Ivan looked at him. Alex had his father’s eyes. Both of them had his own father’s eyes. He didn’t want to keep looking, but he forced himself to. “I can think of many reasons as to why it’s been bothering me, but why is it bothering you? I know you’ve had a few meetings with Jon and the Synod, so tell me. We can be honest with each other here.”

“It’s not the invasion itself that bothers me, I actually agree that bringing lasting peace to the region would be good, even if I don’t share the… zealousness of my father in disparaging the entire existence of Luthaiya. No, I’m concerned with what happens after."

“With how the rest of the world will react? Well, I suppose that’s understandable, but I’m confident that Jon and Viktor will be able to handle the PR for that.”

“No, no. The people, the non-Ademarists there.”

“Oh. Yes. Them,” Ivan looked away again. “Yes, I can see why that would bother you. I haven’t really been thinking about that aspect of it myself, that’s not really my area.”

“It’s an ethnic cleansing, Uncle Ivan. There’s no way around it, that’s what we’re going to be doing.”

“A population transfer,” he corrected him, though not enthusiastically. “We’re not performing a pogrom. We’re going to be doing our damnedest to make sure there’s no casualties. It’s just an unfortunate consequence.”

“Yet there will be casualties, at least some. Not everyone will be leaving willingly.”

“No,” he agreed. “They’ll either have to convert or leave, they’ll have no other choice. It’s an unfortunate consequence. This isn’t Toloria, much as I wish it was.”

The two of them sat in silence for a time, neither looking at the other. Ivan himself wasn’t completely on board with the population transfer, but he saw it as being unfortunately necessary. Asendavia wasn’t willing to change itself for the people it was going to be conquering, so the conquered had to change or go.

“I encouraged your father to declare war on Toloria, you know. I was a hotheaded youth back then.” Ivan said quietly.

Alex glanced at his uncle. “I’m not shocked. They deserved it, from everything I’ve heard.”

“We were so close to resolving the situation. Tensions were at an alltime high after the attack on our embassy, but Musil did his damnedest to prevent war, he complied with our requests at every turn, he was apparently even considering withdrawing support from the Republicans in Meremaa,” Ivan gripped his legs. “Then that fool Ladislav Kohout couped the government,” he spat to the side as he mentioned Ladislav. “He reversed everything Musil did, provoked us at every opportunity. Even then, your father didn’t want to invade Toloria. Not that he was just letting Ladislav walk over him, he wanted to try and find a way to defuse the situation and maybe get Musil back in power.

“But no, I told him that we had to invade Toloria, that it was a necessity. That not doing so was a blight on our honor, that we’d look weak. I was young and stupid, but I convinced him. Once we declared war, it was a bygone conclusion that Toloria wouldn’t be able to stand up to us, especially once they provoked Talusi into also declaring war by shelling their territory. Still, it’s a miracle the whole thing lasted only half a year or so, we got lucky that Viktor was able to work his magic and some former members of the government were willing to collaborate with us. Luthaiya is different however. We’re not going in and setting up a government favorable to us. We’re staying, for good,” Ivan ran a hand through his hair.

“I’m not as young and stupid as I once was, and while the status quo in Luthaiya works, restoring order to the region would benefit almost everyone. Your father sees that, Pavlovic sees that, and I see that too,” Ivan stopped gripping his legs and wiped his palms on his pants.

“As do I. I just don’t agree with some of the aftermath, and perhaps some of the rhetoric being used. They both completely deny the existence of a Luthaiyan people,” Alex frowned.

“I… well… they’re not wrong, in a sense. There is no one Luthaiyan people. They’re Valokchians, they’re Asendavians, they’re various other kith and kin of ours. That’s what makes them Luthaiyan. They had history under both of our rules, and they sought their own path in the end. But evidently, that didn’t end up working out, so we have to bring them back into the fold and protect them,” Ivan tugged at his collar.

“By expelling them from their homes,” Alexander shifted from his kneeling position so that he was sitting cross-legged on the floor.

“It’s—”

“An unfortunate consequence, yes. You’ve said that a few times already. I can see that you’re not willing to change your mind on this,” Alex got up and brushed his pants off. “Still, I suppose I understand why, I know what position my father holds, you’re just being a dutiful brother,” he rested his hand on his uncle’s shoulder. “Even if nothing changes, I’ll voice my displeasure at every step in the way. Go to sleep, Uncle Ivan. Hjalmar would be worried sick if he knew that you weren’t sleeping. I love you.”

“I love you too, Alex,” Ivan watched as he left the chapel. He himself stayed kneeling a few more minutes before he got up. Before he left however, he took a good long look at his hands.

A bit later, back at his suite, Alex crawled back into bed after having put his clothes back in his closet. He didn’t bother looking at his clock, he didn’t want to know what time it was, he just wanted to go back to sleep. Aikka stirred slightly as he got back in bed.

“Alex?” she murmured sleepily, her eyes still closed and her face still buried in a pillow.

“Go back to sleep, my love,” he kissed the top of her head and cuddled up next to her. He wrapped his arm around her body and closed his eyes, and slowly drifted back to sleep.

2 Likes

Stromharad, Asendavia
1617 Hours, March 29th, 3761 AA (2024 AD)

Alex was relaxed in his seat and resting his eyes. He and Terje were in a limousine about halfway to the airport. Terje, who’d been making frequent trips to and from Khiyev recently, had managed to convince Alex to come along for one of his trips. He knew that it was something business related, but he wasn’t quite sure what it was actually about, but since Uncle Yngvar was involved, it was probably something Alex didn’t have to be too worried about. Terje was being rather tight-lipped with the details too for once. Once they’d gotten into the limo, he’d actually been oddly quiet in general really.

Terje glanced at the partition to make sure it was closed and then back at Alex, whose eyes were closed but he knew was still awake. Leaning forward, he began to speak in a hushed tone. “Runi, I don’t think we’re honest enough with each other as a family. We keep too many secrets. Tell me, what’s going on? Why do you insist on not marrying and rejecting every girl’s advances:”

Alex opened one eye. “Do you really think this is the best time to interrogate me about this subject?” he asked, amused. “Was this all an elaborate ploy to introduce me to some girl up in Khiyev or something along those lines? If that’s your aim, then I think that when we get to the airport, you can go on ahead to Khiyev and I’ll stay here.”

“No, no. Not fully at least. There is actually a business proposition that we and Uncle Yngvar are going to talk about,” Terje looked aside, embarrassed.

“Then I suggest that you actually tell me about this proposition first, and maybe then I’ll give you a reasoning. Tch. First Karina and now you, in the same month no less,” he crossed his arms and started drumming his fingers lightly.

“Kari? Anyway, it’s a rather simple thing really. Uncle Yngvar and I have been talking recently about investing into some companies in Luthaiya, maybe financing the construction of some factories over there too. Maybe even real estate, the land over there should be pretty cheap.”

Alexander opened his other eye and stared hard at his brother. Neither his brother nor Uncle Yngvar were members of the Synod or the Cabinet, but Yngvar’s father, their grandfather, Grand Duke Torgeir of Khiyev, was. However, he wouldn’t be entirely shocked if they knew of the plans to annex Luthaiya, he could see his father having briefed Terje on it, and Yngvar was their mother’s brother, but he wasn’t entirely sure if either of them knew about the planned extent of the aftermath of the annexation.

“I see. Why though? It’s not like either of us really need the money from that.” Alex kept his questions to a minimum, he’d rather not start an argument.

“Perhaps, but having a source of income aside from being a member of the royal family would still be a smart idea, and it would allow me more economic freedom, you as well.”

“Sure, but why Uncle Yngvar?”

“He’s mainly going to help with the financing. Now, if you could be so gracious my dear brother, please answer my earlier question. I’d rather like to know, especially since it’s been so long since your last girlfriend. It’s been, what? Six, seven, years since you and Saskia—”

Alexander bristled at the mentioning of her name. “I’d suggest that you don’t mention her by name again, dear brother. I would much rather not think about her, at all,” he warned Terje.

Terje gave him a strange look. “Why so harsh? I thought the two of you split, well, maybe not entirely amicably, but not… horribly.”

“Why must all of you question me about this constantly? I swear to the God-on-Urth, it feels like it’s at least one of you questioning me every single week. It’s none of your business! My life is my own! I don’t pry into your affairs! I don’t ask you about the women you fuck when you and Sigrun are having issues! It’s a fucking miracle you haven’t gotten any of them pregnant. Unless… have you?” Alex narrowed his eyes and studied his brother’s face closely.

“What!? No! For the love of Ademar, no!” Terje looked away. “Not that I know at least,” he grumbled.

“Do you want to know the honest-to-God truth, Terje? Do you? You all keep trying to pry it from me anyway. Look at me when I’m talking to you,” Alex leaned forward and grabbed Terje’s head in his hands, forcing him to look at him.

“Forget about it, Runi. Forget I asked,” Terje was taken aback, he’d never seen Alex quite this worked up before.

“Alexander. Call me Alexander. You’re not a child anymore.”

“Alexander,” he spat the name out. “I would be most grateful if you could let go of my head, dear brother,” he grabbed Alex’s arms and forced them down. Alex let him. The two of them continued to stare at each other however.

“You want to know the honest truth, Terje? I never actually loved her, I’ve never loved any of them. The sex was fine, but there was never any love. I was just fulfilling an obligation that I felt like was required of me. But that obligation ate away at me, having to pretend every single day that I loved her or any of the ones before her. I despised having to fake like I loved them. But when she told me she was pregnant, Terje? I got scared. I was really scared, Terje. I didn’t want to marry her, I didn’t want to be a father. So I made her get an abortion. I had her go to Vaklori to get one and I paid for the whole thing myself. Then we broke up. It’s as simple as that. That’s why I don’t bother anymore, Terje. I don’t want to have to do something like that again, I don’t want to have to fake my love, and I don’t want to marry someone for the politics of it. If I never feel love for someone, so be it,” even with how he was ranting and how angry he was, Alexander knew damn well to keep Aikka’s name out of his mouth. It’d probably just make things even worse if he let that slip. He leaned back in his seat and looked away, Alex didn’t want to look at his brother right now.

Terje and Alex sat in an uneasy silence for most of the rest of the drive to the airport, Alex looking out the window and Terje looking at his feet. Neither one knew what else to say, though neither particularly wanted to carry on the conversation. Both dreaded the fact that this trip was supposed to last a couple of days.

He shouldn’t have asked at all, he should’ve just kept his damn mouth shut and minded his own business. Terje knew Alex didn’t like being questioned about his love life, and yet he poked the bear anyway. They all did. The entire family knew, yet they always kept asking Alex the same tired old questions. Yes he was the heir, but he still had a right to live his life how he wanted as much as the rest of them. Terje looked up at Alex. He had closed his eyes again.

Terje struggled with what he was about to say next, whether or not he should actually say it, but finally, quietly, he spoke. “Sigrun’s pregnant.”

Alex didn’t open his eyes this time, and he remained silent for a time. Terje almost thought he wasn’t going to respond, until he suddenly did. “Do you love her, Terje?”

“Yes.”

“Then marry her. Stop shaming both her and yourself by sleeping around with other women behind her back every single time you go through a rough spot. If you want more than just her, get her consent to marry more women. And… don’t do what I did, don’t repeat my mistakes. You both at least love each other though, so that’s a start. I’ve already accepted my fate, but you have a bright future ahead of you, Terje. Don’t squander it.”

“I will, I will. I’m sorry, Alex. I hope you find someone that will make you happy, and I’m confident that you will at some point in the future. In the meantime, I’m here for you. We’re all here for you,” Terje put his hand on Alex’s knee.

Alex’s lips curled into a slight smile for a half-second before he stopped himself. “Perhaps you’re right. But that’s yet to be seen.”

1 Like