"Scaling" Anthropomorphic Species

Hello group,

This conversation came up and I figured I’d clarify a few things. When one says their species is a “dragon” or “feline” or “vulpine” or what not, often that can be rather nebulous. Like, what kind of bear would this particular species be, or elephant, for instance? Maybe it’s an undefined animal, or something else entirely. At any rate, I’ve devised a little scale to help answer these questions and better quantify species characteristics. You may use this if you want, but you don’t have to - it’s more or less my interpretation, which could be sound, but could also be wrong.

Since my folks are vulpines, and vulpines are a known species here, I’ve created a sort of Fox-to-Human scale. Each “point” on the scale has a ratio, where the first number quantifies “fox” and the second quantifies “human”. So 100/0 would be a pure fox, and 0/100 would be pure human, and so on.

Below is my scale, in a spoiler (it’s a lil long). I’ll offer up explanations and some examples for both:

[spoiler]https://i.imgur.com/PHh6vqQ.png
[/spoiler]

90/10

• It’s more or less a talking fox. But its understanding of the world is limited at best, and still “thinks” and “acts” like a fox
  • They do not wear clothes, except for maybe a scarf or collar provided by a human or higher species
  • Tod from Fox & Hound is an excellent example

80/20

• An “aware” fox, if you will. It can sing, dance, stand on its hind legs for an extended period of time
  • It can understand more complex concepts, human-like concepts, such as deeper emotions, that sort
  • Here clothing is more apparent, but still in “accessory” form, maybe a hat or a scarf the creature itself picks out to wear
  • Rita from Jungledyret Hugo (German) is a good example.

70/30

• Now we see a more anthropomorphized fox. It stands on its hind legs. It uses its paws more like hands.
  • It deals with more “human” concepts, like raising armies, forming basic societies, laws, etc. But it is still very much an upright fox. When it gets angry, it will growl like an animal. When it’s happy, its tail will wag, and so on.
  • Clothing is typical here, but not important to cover the body.
  • The Redwall series by Brian Jaques is a good start.

60/40

• Here we have a humanoid fox. Note the proportions here - that becomes very important as we move on. It’s more or less a fox “morphed” to walk upright. It has big, slender feet. It has small arms. It has a very long torso, etc.
  • These types almost never have their own “hair” - it’s more or less an upright fox acting like a human
  • Speaking of human, here we can finally say that if a humanoid were to meet with a real human, and they didn’t freak out over that concept, they could actually carry a legitimate, deep conversation. No ratio to this point could do that.
  • Most “Disneyfied” characters like Nick Wilde and Robin Hood fit here.

50/50

• The humanoid from the previous category has changed. Note its proportions - it’s nearly the size of a human being, with a shorter torso, longer, limber legs, and arms that form actual pectorals. These are very nearly human proportions, but not quite.
  • They still display common “fox” traits one might find in the wild, but they’re nearly a melange, in that they borrow from humans and foxes. This creature might comb its fur with a brush then tear into some red meat it’s been storing from a recent kill in the next instance.
  • Here, for the first time, not wearing clothing is taboo.
  • I’m searching for an example for this one, lol.

40/60

• Here, proportions are very nearly, if not almost categorically, human. A humanesque torso, proportioned arms, proportioned legs, etc.
  • These creatures seem to have actual “hands” and “feet” - they don’t walk on their haunches, nor are they flat-footed
  • Yet they still have fox traits. Their ears will sink or turn if they’re sad or angry, they will have trouble adjusting to climates due to a lack of a subcutaneous layer of fat, they will tend to be thin and wiry due to having difficulty gaining muscle mass, etc.
  • Vulpines from Vekaiyu fit here.

30/70

• Now we’re seeing a much more humanized fox. Take a look at that big chest and large, human hands. Essentially, this is now a fox with a human body itself.
  • It is beginning to lose common fox traits. It may not growl or yip. It’s ears may become independent of emotion. It may even have a human set of teeth.
  • Basically, if someone could find a fox version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that would fit here.

20/80

• It’s morphing! The muzzle is gone or almost non-existent. The face is more elongated, human-like in proportions.
  • It more or less, kind of, looks like a human done up in face paint and fur, with some ears to boot.
  • For all intents and purposes, humans and this creature could likely live side-by-side without any significant issues or differences between the two in terms of biology and species’ needs.

10/90

• Your standard fox-girl from animes. It’s human, but with maybe some additions like fox ears, a tail, or more animal-like eyes.
  • Even so, these creatures rarely, if ever, have any fox traits.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve got and what makes sense to me. Cheers!