September 2013

NOTE: Alv has been granted a leave of absence due to real life circumstances (nothing to worry about I think) and will return to his post next month. Until then I will discharge his duties here in TEP!
Also, I apologize for the lateness of this Update, but it’s better late than never. This is a modified Update that just contains very recent news (different from the regular, monthly one). I will make sure that future Updates are delivered on time. :slight_smile:

THE COALITION OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Delegate: Belschaft
Vice Delegate: Rebel-topia
Chair of the Assembly: Sandaoguo
Minister of the Foreign Affairs: Kris Kringle
Minister of the Army: Drugged Monkeys
Minister of Regional Affairs: Escade
Chief Justice: Southern Bellz
Craziest Person in TSP: Rebel-topia
FOREIGN UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2013

ASSEMBLY PASSES THE BILL OF RIGHTS

Following months of deliberations, the Assembly of The South Pacific passed 14-4 an amendment to the Charter that guaranteed extensive rights to all residents, while the former text just guaranteed the rights of citizens. Southern Bellz proposed this in June, with Kringalia and Sandaoguo contributing with the framework text that various citizens helped amend.

Vice Delegate Rebel-topia, among others, was confused by the votes against, “all by those not participating in the discussion. If you have a problem with something, don’t wait until the vote to voice it!”. Still it surpassed the 75% needed to amend the Charter. Thanks to Southern Bellz, Kringalia, Hileville, Rebel-topia, Sandaoguo, Belschaft, W3 Rulez and several others. You all made this possible!

The debate can be found here:http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/5009-tsp-residents-bill-of-rights/

ESCADE WINS FLAG CONTEST

Minister of Regional Affairs Escade won the Flag Contest and her design of a blue background with a white sun became the new regional flag of The South Pacific, after Belschaft settled a tie with the original regional flag that had been the official one since the origins of the Coalition

The method of voting involved changing one’s in game flag to the one that each was voting for, and the Delegate would consider the votes of those that had endorsed him, to ease the counting of votes. Thanks to Escade, Alv, Sandaoguo, Mizay, Marina Palma Riviera and all those who submitted their designs!

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/Belschaft/Escade%20Flags/MCKnGyv.png

ASSEMBLY VOTES ON ARTICLE 5 AMENDMENT

Voting is currently underway on an amendment to article 5 of the Charter of The South Pacific, which would increase the size of the Cabinet to include Deputy Ministers, though they would not have voting rights. This is part of Belschaft’s campaign platform, giving less experienced but equally eager citizens a voice in the leadership of the executive branch. This is being done as part of a broader effort to promote engagement and inclusion in our region.

Debates on this amendment focused as well on whether the Chief Justice and the Editor-in-Chief of the South Pacific Independent Network should be included as non voting Cabinet members, with several citizens arguing that it was not the place of the head of the judicial branch and of an independent news service to partake in executive business. The role of the Chief Justice will be subject to a future judicial reform that Belschaft and Chair of the Assembly Sandaoguo will be promoting.

The debate can be found here:http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/5251-amendment-to-article-5-of-the-charter/

THANKS FOR READING AND WE HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS UPDATE!

So how about you? Is anything here similar to something going on there? Share it with our ambassador! We are eager to know what happens throughout the NS world and feel even more interested when it’s related to one of our friends.

Next Foreign Update on October 2013…

THE COALITION OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC