Shadows of DIEIS

The five DIEIS agents were all human, but they all wore masks with special voice changers to hide their true identities. It would be bad if anyone found out what DIEIS was doing. DIEIS, also called the Department of Internal and External Intelligence and Security, was the civilian-run intelligence agency for the Confederacy of Vulshain. During the 2002-2006 Vulshainian Civil War, DIEIS had helped to protect and ensure the safety of national security, no matter what had to be done. However, the military and DIEIS rarely agreed, and recently, with the election and ascension of a Civil War veteran, it appeared that DIEIS’ power was slowly eroding.

There were rumors of DIEIS agents going rogue, fed up with the reforms to the organization started by the new king. But for the majority of DIEIS’ agents, they stayed loyal to the department. However, their patience with a certain monarch was being tested greatly…

“I tell you,” said the agent in the red mask, “King Rainard has gone too far!”

“There is no need to shout,” a female agent wearing a green and white mask told him.

“I believe that argument is something we all agree upon, correct?” The five agents nodded in agreement with an agent wearing a white and gray mask. Only one agent wearing a brown and blood red mask reluntactly nodded.

“You have a problem with this,” Green/White Mask asked.

“What we are thinking about is…is…it is…treason!”

“So? His Majesty thinks he knows what’s best for this country. He thinks that just because he fought against the terrorists and insurgents in the Civil War that gives him the right to boss us around,” White/Gray Mask said.

“We could try rigging the Speaker of Parliament elections,” Black Mask said.

“Are you crazy,” Brown/Blood Red Mask asked, shocked at what he was hearing. “Even if we could, we would never get away with it. The military would be on us in a heartbeat, maybe even faster!”

“He’s right,” Black Mask added. “Rigging the elections would be impossible to do. We were able to influence Rainard’s elections though.”

“Yes, but…”

“But, Rainard has become impossible to control. Even our political allies have trouble controlling him. He must be removed, no matter how, even if it’s by a bullet.”

“Assassination!? I can’t believe this!” Brown/Blood Red Mask got up and headed for the door.

“Sit down,” Green/White Mask ordered him.

“No. I will not! This has gone too far. DIEIS was formed to protect Vulshain, not tear it apart!” He clenched his fists so tight, his knuckles turned white.

“Everyone calm down. Sit down, please,” Black Mask calmly said.

Brown/Blood Red Mask sat down, but he glared at Green/White Mask as he did so.

“Now, we all agree that something must be done with His Majesty, but we cannot simply go through with assassinating him. Killing Rainard would simply draw attention, and DIEIS would be among the list of suspects. Maybe not in the top 10 on the list, but maybe in the bottom thirty.”

“Oh make a joke of this why don’t you!?”

“Calm down,” Black Mask told Brown/Blood Red Mask. “As I was saying, something has to be done. If necessary, we may need to restart some…projects.”

“You mean…The Level 13 Projects?”

“Yes. As you all are aware, the Level 13 Projects are located on Subbasement Floor 13, which does not exist. We may have to reawaken these projects if DIEIS is to keep what little power it has left.”

“Very well…just as long as we don’t have to resort to murder…”

“I hope we don’t have to resort to that. My grandfather fought in the Monarchical Revolution, and I’ll be damned if I become a member of a coup.”

“But, what about the Republican Regime documents and files we have stored? If Rainard discovers that we have been hiding them…”

“He won’t. And even if he does, we’ll simply create a convincing lie to satisfy him. The kit may be smart, but he would never dream DIEIS would intentionally try to turn him into a mere figurehead.”

“I…I believe this is a best path to take.”

“Very well…but we must tread carefully. If it comes to light that DIEIS was the one behind the assassination attempt on him just prior to his East Pacific Region tour, it’s most certain all DIEIS will hang.”

“Or fried, or filled full of holes,” Brown/Blood Red Mask added.

“Don’t forget about injected. I hate needles,” Black Mask said.

“Please. Calm down,” Green/White Mask told everyone. “We still have the Level 13 Projects and our few remaining political allies. Let us not rush. DIEIS never rushes, and neither should we. We need to take this one careful and well-thought out step at a time.” They all agreed. Then, they abjourned.

DIEIS Headquarters, Subbasement Floor 13, which doesn’t exist

The Brown/Blood Red Mask agent watched as the elevator went down into the basement areas. He watched as the elevator went pass 7 and 8. “9…10…11…12…” Just as it began pass 12, the agent hit the stop bottom. The elevator stopped and opened. He walked out. On the wall were the words Subbasement Floor 13: DOES NOT EXIST! He walked into a lab where scientists and engineers were working on what appeared to be suits of armor.

Vulshain was known for its engineering feats. And while this technology was gained from the recent conflict with the Armed Republic of Rygard as well as technology gained through secret dealings with a now dead madman, Vulshain was able to reverse engineer the tech and make it even better. Brown/Blood Red Mask had made sure to select only human personnel as well as make sure that they had no family or friends who would ask questions if something…unfortunate happened.

The armors appeared big and bulky, but once completed, they would enable Vulshain to be able to protect itself from threats both domestic and foreign. The armors weren’t being produced because they were too expensive to manufacture. These weapons-capable flying suits of armor would revolutionize warfare, and every nation in the world would be begging Vulshain to give them one…at any price. And the money problem was taken care of by the generous donations of DIEIS’ political allies and corporate partners.

These armors had been part of Project Golem, named after the mythical iron creature that protected a tribe from persecution, but the Golem of myth then turned upon the tribe as it began to enforce its own view of order. As the tale went, the tribe’s priests and sages who had brought the Golem to life from simple metal, stripped it of its powers, turning it back into a mere lifeless iron statue.

Unlike the Golem of legend, which was a mindless creature, these Golems would be controlled by a person. No rogue nation’s army or radical terrorist would dare provoke Vulshain’s wrath when these armors rolled off the assembly line and were given to the military.

Brown/Blood Red Mask wanted to find some way to get King Rainard to see reason before the vulpine monarch angered his compatriots anymore to point where they would murder him. “I maybe a DIEIS agent, but I’m also a Vulshainian, and the king is the living symbol of the Confederacy. I can’t wait around and let them kill him. I must make him see that DIEIS isn’t a threat…even if I must break him to do so!”

OOC: This happened prior to Southern Yugoslavia’s visit and after Legokiller’s visit.

Top Secret DIEIS Military R&D Facility located in the Torshku Province

Marshal Natalka Rainard was being given a tour of the former DIEIS Top Secret Military Research and Development Facility located in the Torshku Province. “Impressive. So this tank can easily switch between tank mode and a heavy artillery cannon in minutes.”

“Yes, Marshal Rainard. It was an original design, but after the Civil War, it didn’t go anywhere due to the economic problems at the time. DIEIS stumbled upon it and began to restart the project until their fall from grace.”

“I see.” Being a prisoner in Rygard meant that she did not know how much the Civil War had affected the economy, but it didn’t take much to know how much it had affected the people. They continued the tour. “Ah. So, this is a flight pack?”

“Yes Marshal. Basically, it allows soldiers to scout and harass enemy forces. Kind of like a marauder.”

“Marauder? Hm…I like that name.”

“Um…Okay.”

They continued the tour. “What’s this?” She was staring at a twelve foot tall mechanical giant with reverse-jointed legs. It had twin heavy machine guns where the arms were meant to be, and it had missile racks built into the shoulders. The torso also had a cockpit, which in a way was the ‘head’ of the machine.

“That?” The MMID officer checked his clipboard. “According to what information we know DIEIS had merged captured and reverse-engineered Rygardi technology with Vulshainian technology along with Southern Yugoslavian technology gained from our trade alliance with our western neighbors.”

“And how come the Southern Yugoslavians weren’t informed about this?”

He checked his clipboard again. “Hm…Apparently, DIEIS didn’t want to share is what we can guessed.”

Natalka thought for a moment. “Well, we will have to share this…What is it called?”

“Um…It doesn’t have a name yet, but I guess Goliath works.”

“Eh…Okay. Not crazy about the name, but it’ll work for now. Maybe the Southern Yugoslavians will come up with a better name. That is, if they want it. They might advise us to scrap it.”

“And why would they want to scrap it?”

“Most likely they don’t want us or themselves to be seen as warmongers or something.”

“Okay. And here we have the Golem Construction Suit, or GCS.” The GCS was at least ten or eleven feet tall. It had arms, but on the right arm it had a what appeared to be a large drill in place of a hand. The left arm had a claw-like appendage, similar to the claws found in amusement park games where one had to pick up a stuffed toy with a mechanical claw.

“And I’m going to guess it was meant to be used in construction?”

“Well, originally it was meant to be used in combat, but they were having problems with some design features, so they switched lanes and decided to make it into a civilian vehicle.”

“Rygardi tech?”

“Actually Southern Yugoslavian and Vulshainian tech.”

“Oh Almighty…I wonder what the Southern Yugoslavians will say about this.”

They traveled further into the facility.

Deep underground, Marshal Natalka Rainard couldn’t believe what she was looking at. “So, this was developed how?”

“We believe that it was developed via reverse-engineering captured Rygardi technology as well as combining that same technology with our own.” The MMID officer explained to her. “It was apparently going to be armed with shoulder mounted missile pods, four 330mm howitzers, and two twin-linked cannons.”

“I see. So, they were constructing this titan?”

“Yes Marshal Rainard. We can begin dismantling–”

“No.”

“Huh?”

“Times are changing Captain. Vulshain was made a laughing stock because of the DIEIS fisaco, and we need tech like this to show people that we have fangs.” She leaned a little bit over the rail as she clutched the railing, staring at the giant behemoth before her. “How long do you think it will take to finish the prototype?”

“Best guess: Mid or late May.”

“Good.”

OOC: This happens around the same time as Natalka’s visit.

IC:

Top Secret DIEIS Military R&D Facility located in the Negoer Province

Cecilia Rainard, Royal Confederate Premier of Vulshain, sighed for the fifth time. She was also annoyed. Having been asked by MMID officers to visit a former DIEIS Top Secret Military R&D Facility in the Negoer Province was not on her list of top priorities, but her curiosity won out over responsibility.

“Captain, I hope this is very important as I have things to do such as help in the preparations of the visit from Southern Yugoslavia.”

“Don’t worry Premier, this is worth your time,” the MMID officer said.

The facility was quite large. “So, what am I–” She stopped when she saw it. “What is this?”

The officer checked his clipboard. “This here was a new type of fighter that could transform from an air superiority fighter to a ground assault walker.”

Cecilia was skeptical, but then again, DIEIS was known to work on a lot of crazy stuff. “Hm…I see. And this is the prototype?”

“Yes, Ma’am. According to what we found, we could start producing these…Vikings as DIEIS was going to call them, probably in mid-January.”

“Vikings? That name sounds terrible.” Cecilia thought for a moment. “Hm…Heimdal sounds much better.”

“Okay. Well, according to our information, the Hellhound is armed with two gatling guns and two missile racks.”

“Missile racks?”

“Yes, Ma’am. Apparently, the gatling guns are only used in walker mode, while the missile racks are used in flight mode.”

Cecilia was puzzled by this. “Doesn’t make sense to be unable to use both in either mode. We’ll have to fix that.”

“What else was DIEIS working on,” she asked.

“Various projects and weapons.”

“I see.”

“Some of them used technology gained from legal trading due to our trade alliance with Southern Yugoslavia.”

“What!? And no one informed Southern Yugoslavia!?”

“I guess not. Maybe DIEIS didn’t want us to share–”

“Well, we are now! When the Southern Yugoslavians come to visit, all of this technology will be shared with them!”

Top Secret DIEIS Military R&D Facility located in the Torshku Province

Natalka looked at the titanic machine being built. DIEIS had already started work on it, so the prototype might actually be finished sooner than anticipated. Still the Goliath prototypes were ready for testing. She read the reports. She was amazed and at the same time shocked at how well the tests went.

She wondered what the Southern Yugoslavians would say about the Goliaths.

Top Secret DIEIS Military R&D Facility located in the Negoer Province

Cecilia sighed as she began gathering everything to give the Southern Yugoslavians. “This is a damn disaster,” she said. “Not only do we have to fix the mess DIEIS caused between us and Southern Yugoslavia, but now this hits the fan!”

She had seen more of DIEIS’s projects, such as an aircraft powered by thrusters and turbofans on the sides, and armed with two large missile launchers on the sides of the nose and a gatling gun under the nose. It was designed as an urban ground assault aircraft. But the thought of such an aircraft attacking urban targets scared her. The number of innocent lives lost in the crossfire gave her nightmares even while awake! She knew that the Southern Yugoslavians would be furious that technology that they had traded with Vulshain had been used to create such weapons.

Even worse, DIEIS had reverse-engineered Rygardi technology and combined it with Southern Yugoslavian and Vulshainian technology to create a flying battlecruiser prototype! It wasn’t quite finished yet, and probably wouldn’t until around August next year. “Stu is going to hate me when he hears this,” she thought as her ears pressed against her head. The Heimdal Fighter/Walker was a good idea, though. She had tested it out, and while it involved a steep learning curve, she was amazed at what DIEIS had created.

She sighed again. “Better get this organized to hand over.”

Royal Confederate Palace in Kitsuniva, Vulshain

Sam sighed as he laced his fingers together. Across from him was his sister Cecilia. “So, Cecilia what you’re saying is that you want Stu to be the Southern Yugoslavian military liasion to both our government and military. You do realize that he might have to quit the Republican Guard.”

“Oh no. You see, he can still be the head of the Republican Guard and still operate as the Southern Yugoslavian liasion at the same time. I believe that having him here would be a great asset to both us and them, especially since we are trying to repair the damage done to the Southern Yugoslavian-Vulshainian Alliance caused by the DIEIS crisis.”

Sam sighed again and thought. “Okay. Well, since you and him get along with each other, not just in bed.” He snickered, resulting in a glare from his sister. “Anyhow, it would be of great help in fixing the damage caused by the DIEIS fiasco.”

Cecilia smiled as she said, “Thank you Sam. You won’t regret this.”