Shiro Academy AU

Shiro Academy perimeter, Tilden Isle, Free Pacific States

The sunrise was beautiful, Prospero thought. It was a surprising thought, one that he paused at immediately. Since he had been assigned one of the Kandarin Federation’s handful of slots at the prestigious Shiro Academy, the dark elven cadet had grown resentful of the glaring, hateful gaze of the midday tropical sun. Eyes accustomed to the nether darkness of the underworld suffered greatly under such stress, and by day he was forced to wear thick sunglasses that only partially alleviated the stress - when he went out by day at all. But the sunrise, he had to admit, was beautiful. Greens and purples and pinks seeped gently in the eastern sky, cast by a solar disk still obscured by Tilden’s mountainous heart. The ground was still as dark as night, but the sky promised as bright a day as ever.

He turned his eyes from the sky to the earth, where they belonged. His shift at the perimeter was almost done. He had been drafted into the Academy’s defense, like everyone with the ability and training. No, he corrected himself- like everybody. Most just weren’t required to stand behind concertina wire with a gun.

“Albaniri.” There was a voice behind him. “You’re relieved.” A young man in FPSian army fatigues stood there. The soldier had obviously not been a cadet; rather, he was clearly one of the myriad security personnel who were on the Academy grounds. Perhaps he had been accompanying some VIP, or he was a survivor of the evacuation of the navy base. Perhaps he was one of the survivors of mauled units who had trickled in. Those were all too common a sight. Prospero nodded to him, and began walking back down the perimeter toward the looming sillhouettes of the Academy proper.

It was then that he saw it, out of the corner of his eye. A flicker of motion could be seen past the concertina wire, behind the earthen berms and ditches that had been only partially completed during the early outbreaks. He cleared his throat and pointed; the FPSian soldier who had replaced him merely shrugged. Prospero remembered then that not all were so gifted at night-vision. He focused more closely. Three figures walked at a brisk pace out of the blackened buildings of the dead city beyond the Academy’s grounds.

They walked upright, focused, not staggering. That was important - and it meant that time was of the essence. Prospero unclipped a small radio from his belt and, as quickly as he could draw breath, barked into it: “Command, we have three sightings in Sector 44. Probable Type One. Repeat, three sightings, Type One. Confirm.”

Ten, maybe fifteen seconds passed, and then the perimeter burst into light. No less than a dozen spotlights turned on, some based on watchtowers, some on the corrugated walls that had only begun when the initial outbreaks forced construction to a halt. They combed the area swiftly and mercilessly, finally settling on the three figures that Prospero had spotted. Sure enough, the signs were there - blood streaming across faces, ragged hands, a walk little short of a run.

As rifle fire crackled behind him, Prospero turned and walked wearily back towards the Academy. There was little time for rest and tomorrow would be another night, but he knew full well that he would go insane without something else to do.

“Do you believe what they say? That back home is safe?” the words rung out through the tiny, cramped, janitor’s closet gone bunk room. They were valid words, simple words. But they were rhetorical, and they had allowed the first sleep that the eerie silence of this world would allow Prince Keith, the first sleep in months.

Bloodshot Blue eyes darted through the half-dark closet, looking at the tiny electric torch being held up by the Prince’s primary roommate, Enri. The questioner, a year younger, looked at the pale expression of his companion and saw obvious irritation.

“It’s valid to believe that, of course. Warre is an archipelago nation where we’re taught to use weapons from school age. It’s isolated from the continent by far enough that it’d be hard for even refugees to get there, and it could probably sustain itself for quite a while without trading. So yeah it’s probably safe. But farking go to sleep already, Enri. Your das a general and still hasn’t come and got you, or me. So that may mean that it’s just as safe here, or there’s some dangerous precautions about. Times of disaster bring nations into dire straights, and panic. But why would anyone be saying it’s safe or not, Enri? No one’s crossing onto the continent or Tilden from the archipeligo, especially if it is safe. Loghain’s probably just trying to agitate you. Now get away, so I can get some ticks of sleep.”

And so the conversation was over.

This is my world.

The raindrops fell hard on the chapel window, thick black raindrops that fell with a spattering pop. They left sickening streaks of tar and soot on the window, which slid down the window in creeping rivulets. The morning’s colorful sunrise had been an empty promise, swept away by discolored stormclouds that swept in over the ocean and turned day back into night.

This is my world. The oceans and forests and birds and flowers have gone out of it, their voices quieted, their hearts stilled. Joy and Fellowship and Courage have gone out and their task falls to me. The world becomes dust, and the dust welcomes its children home.

They were no natural stormclouds, of course - just as no natural storm pours down black tar. But of their origin, who could say? There was no count to the number of disasters that could have poisoned the very rain. There was no end to the number of burning oil wells, grounded tankers, broken dams and meltdowns that could have spread the poison, and now there was no one to count them. The only thing worse for the Earth than humanity’s involvement, it seems, was the abandonment of its works. And now their ruins tainted the earth, the seas, even the very skies.

The dust welcomes its children home, for all are its children and all are welcome in its house. All the world is blood and fire and hate and war, but there will be peace and all the suffering children of the earth will rest together in harmony in the earth that gave them form.

The tar collected in soggy masses at the base of the window, falling off in sheets like clinging black snow. For a moment, the rain poured down with greater intensity and the window was washed clean, but in the next moment it was spattered again with a thick layer of tar. Outside, trees and the plants of makeshift gardens sagged under the weight of the black muck. An attempt would be made to clean the gardens, of course - the food was desperately needed - but it was long and hard work and this was the second such storm this month.

They will rest, and I will be there to give them rest. I will lay them gently down and comfort them as they pass from this world. I will hear their mourning and their hope and help them find peace as mankind’s desperate agony ends. I will bring them the closure and tranquility that they were denied in life. I do this, for I am Death and this is the burden that I have been given to bear. May Keiga guide me in bearing that burden with wisdom and strength until the end.

Anna Alexander turned from the window, her fingers instinctively running to the clasp at her throat, the teardrop sigil that marked her as an Aquarian, a disciple of Keiga. Like the messenger of Hope who had found her, she had made the journey to Edea’s lands and taken a drop from the spring of the first water. Unlike him, with his teardrop of blue and filigree of gold, hers had sprung forth red with blood from her touch and sprouted a clasp of insectile wires as black as the tar on the window. Perhaps it was the Betrayer’s touch, she thought - the taint that all of its children would bear from its oath in the first days. It had been necessary, truly necessary, despite the price that had been paid. Perhaps instead, some had said, it was an omen of a dark future, when even the first water might become tainted.

There was not time for such musings. Anna let herself glide to the chapel floor, the marvels of Kandari technology that had let her fly to her vantage point at a high window now bearing her gently down. It was an ecumenical chapel, built when the campus was, bereft of the trappings of any one religion in the name of religious tolerance. Now, like so much of the Academy, it was bunk space, refugees sprawled on floors and pews. She would have to find the gardening crews and get them organized - once the rain stopped, the plants would not clean itself. It was all that the remains of the Horticulture department could do to keep refugees out of the greenhouses, but the greenhouses alone would not suffice for long.

As she landed, Anna felt a tap on her shoulder. A young woman in army fatigues stood behind her, unarmed yet wearing a distraught expression. “Excuse me, Sister…there is another one. Your, ah…services…are required at the infirmary.”

“Again?”

The visitor nodded. “Yes. Fuc- uh, darned if I know why, Sister.”

“I am sorry to hear it.” Anna nodded, closing her eyes and bowing her head. “But thank you for telling me. I will go immediately.”

“Kokoro to Command Alpha, over.”
“Command Alpha. Go ahead Kokoro, over.”
“Request permission to commence data transmission for third December, two thousand and nine, nineteen hundred hours. Over.”
“Permission granted. Begin data burst transmission. Over.”

Kokoro sighed as she wiped the sweat off her brow. She then plugged her laptop computer into the field radio set she had placed on the ground. After typing in several commands on the computer, she then pressed more buttons on the radio.
“Kokoro to Command Alpha, initiating burst transmission. Over.”
“Acknowledged. Receiving data stream now.”

The computer bleeped several times before making several noises akin to an old dial-up modem. This continued for several seconds until it stopped.
“Command Alpha to Kokoro, data stream received. We will analyze it. Good work. Prepare to receive situation update and new orders. Over.”

Kokoro typed in some more commands on the computer.
“Go ahead Command Alpha, over.”
The computer bleeped and chirped some more. Kokoro nodded when the “Data OK” message flashed on the screen.
“Command Alpha, I have the new orders and sit-update. Over.”
“Acknowledged. We’ll be in touch next week at eighteen hundred hours. Command Alpha out.”

Kokoro sighed again and picked up the computer and slung the field radio over her shoulder. She then walked over to her tent, set up in what used to Shiro’s football ground. She then read over the news updates on her laptop.

— Begin quote from ____

Special Protection Naval Taskforce 03
Members: Oz’mahr For’af - KIA
John Crest - KIA
Sar’ii Kii’ns - KIA
Donald Sampson - KIA
Cos’rahr Connor - KIA
Sam’mahn’th Gah’tahr - KIA
Johann Murray - KIA
Blane O’Ryan - KIA
Ko’ohwal Mars - KIA
(list continues…)

— End quote

Kokoro raised an eyebrow. She then looked at the file further.

— Begin quote from ____

Special Protection Naval Taskforce 03 has been confirmed as lost and all members KIA. The taskforce was sent, along with Special Protection Naval Taskforce 02, to the north east East Pacific mainland, around the area where the nation of Dveria is located, to attempt to determine the exact cause of the zombification plague and ascertain if a total cure is possible.

However, the taskforce was overrun at 1615, 29th November 2009, by a large number of zombies, some of which were reported to have managed to board the ships in the task force. In an attempt to allow Task Force 03 to leave safely, commanding officer of Task Force 02, Sam’mahn’th Gah’tahr, ordered the ships to scuttle in accordance with Royal Dannistrian Navy General Order 155, but not before fighting the zombies long enough to allow Task Force 03 ships to head to safety. The vessel Captain Gah’tahr was on, the HMDS Caster, a type 42 Destroyer, subsequently sunk with all hands lost.

The Dannistrian Joint-Chiefs of Staff advised that Captain Gah’tahr is to posthumously receive full honours and is saddened at her loss…

— End quote

Kokoro sighed. “More lambs to the slaughter,” she sighed as she got up to make her rounds. She quickly skimmed over her new orders.

— Begin quote from ____

SID Operative: Kokoro (心)
Date: 03 December 2009
Orders: Maintain watch on the area. If there is an increase in zombie activity, contact Command Alpha immediately. Otherwise send an activity report in 7 days from the date of this message at eighteen hundred hours.

— End quote

Kokoro was not her real name. It was a codename assigned to her as a member of the SID. Special Investigations Directorate, one of the numerous secretive departments in the even more secretive Dannistrian Intelligence and Special Operations Commission or DISOC. The joint civilian and military intelligence agency that guards Dannistaan outside the glare of publicity. Many though still know it by it’s old name.

Section 9.

DISOC or Section 9 as many still call it is, at best, a curious organisation. People have heard of it vaguely, yet never really understood it’s purpose. As part of it’s unclear remit, it is home for several special agents who investigate extreme events, autonomously and independently of other sections of the army. The Special Investigations Directorate was the department responsible for this. It was best described as the department which was the “Jack of all Trades”. Any event which was considered “abnormal” was the preserve of the SID. Each SID agent is essentially dropped into the location to investigate the event and report back at a specified interval according to orders where practical and safe to do so. Effectively one man, or woman, army equipped to observe the goings on around him or her. As a security measure, each agent has his or her identity totally removed and replaced with a simple codename taken from a single theme of Japanese characters. Kokoro’s codename came from the character for “heart” or “feeling”. Neither of which she seemed to experience recently as she made her way along the field to one of the old dorms in Shiro. She shined a torch at some of the windows, cursing the fact that her predecessor, a male agent only known as “Nama”, had not left her enough information on the situation in Shiro, before moving on…

The military had conscripted every Free Pacifican at Shiro after it took over the compound. The General that commanded the base had seen Paula Star commissioned as a Captain at that time, given her extensive combat training, and given her command of a Rescue and Resupply squad.

Paula recognized that the assumption of that rank was a necessity for field work with military personnel. But Star found it annoying when anyone called her by rank back on campus, where almost everyone ignored the technical military structure that the General had setup.

So, naturally, just as always, Matthew Terrus did not greet her as a friend when he entered the infirmary lounge. Instead, he came to rigid attention, and bellowed out: “SOLDIER MATTHEW TERRUS, REPORTING AS ORDERED BY CAPTAIN STAR, MAM!”

The former National Protection Agency official sighed. “In the name of all that is Holy, Matt, I promise that I will kill you if you don’t stop doing that!”

The teenager laughed. “Careful. Nowadays, the murdered have a tendency to come back to life, and to attempt revenge.”

“Yeah, you’re telling me.” Star sighed. “Anyways, thanks for stopping over. We’ve got another situation that requires, well, Anna’s special talents. I’m heading over, since one of my team’s members procured the problem, I figured you’d want to come. I know you don’t get to see any of the old dorm crowd anymore. And though I do hate this whole military state, I outrank your supervisor, so you’ve got a good excuse.”

Terrus smiled. “That was nice of ya. I’d love to come. But when?”

Paula was already on her way to the door by the time he got to the question.

Kokoro sat bolt upright on hearing a noise. On hearing it was only bird song, she sighed and lied back in her sleeping bag. Then frowned and forced herself to stand. She walked out of the tent, pistol at the ready as she looked out into the streaming sunlight of dawn. She grimaced before going back into the tent, quickly put on the rest of her armour and checked her ammunition and water levels before disassembling her tent, stowing it away in her backpack and then marched off.

SID operatives often found themselves in very uncomfortable places to use to rest for the night. The now damaged flowerbed gardens in Shiro were no exception. Kokoro often used the spot as her de facto base camp as it was out of the way of everyone else and she could reach all the corners of the campus grounds in roughly the same amount of time regardless of which direction she went from there. Despite this, she never left any tents set up in the area. Kokoro was aware of what a desperate situation could do to people and the last thing she wanted to do was to leave any equipment lying around in case it was stolen…or worse…

Marching quickly towards the main wall of the campus, Kokoro approached a ladder leading to the guards observation tower and walkway on the wall. Quickly, she climbed up the ladder and took up her position on the watch tower. Although Kokoro’s main orders were to monitor the zombie situation and report back any findings, she would help out in other areas when she can. The military top brass had given her some leeway when it comes to assisting fellow soldiers in the FPS Army. Despite this, she volunteered to help man the watchtower near the main gate of the Shiro campus. Carefully scanning the horizon with a pair of binoculars. It wasn’t long before she spotted a problem. Or ten.

“Central, watch tower one,” she spoke calmly into the radio handset in the tower, “Ten Hostiles sighted. 11 o’clock. Engaging. Over.”
Kokoro unslung the L85 from her shoulder and took aim. Slowly, she fired 1 shot into the head of each zombie, felling them with deadly accuracy.
“Central, watch tower one. Hostiles down. Nothing to report. Out.”
Kokoro reslung the rifle and scanned the horizon once again with her binoculars. To her, it was peculiar that such a large number of zombies had appeared so early. She noted this down in her log ready to transmit back to base in Dannistaan when she had the chance…