Shiro Academy

Karen met Cyril’s gaze unflinchingly.

“I know what you said in your letter, Cyril, and I hear what you’re saying now. But I hope that you can understand that I’m not sure what I feel anymore. I’m confused. Very confused.” She gave him a rueful grin. “I’m incredibly happy to see you, and yet … at the same time, I feel ready to hit you and hug you and start crying. And I can’t explain where any of those feelings are really coming from.”

Almost as if she was afraid to get any closer to him, Karen walked over to the table and stood with one hand on the back of a chair, still facing him.

“There are an awful lot of things I don’t understand. You never did explain why we left Dovakhan after only a couple of days there. Mind you, I never asked. Nor, I guess, did anyone else. Truth be told, I guess it was your business, not ours.”

“I didn’t know anything about the drugs. That one I find a little easier to understand. You were probably embarrassed.”

“But what I don’t understand is how you can tell me about your feelings, and yet leave me worrying and wondering where and how you are for over four months without a single word. Add all of those up, Cyril, and maybe you can understand why I’m so confused. I know you believe what you’re saying. But … from my perspective, it doesn’t make sense. I don’t know what to think, and I need some time.”

“If you’re willing to, I’d like to start all over. There will be a time for explanations, but right now, I don’t feel like we know each other any more, and I want us to get to know one another again. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to ask for explanations at some point. It just means that right now, I don’t think I’m ready to either process or accept them, and I’d like to be able to.”

“Can you handle that?”

«Okay, that sounds good to me too» Cyril said comprehendingly. He saw her point, and another example of his own selfishness. It wasn’t the best thing that could happen, but it wasn’t the worst either. He decided quickly to let it be.

«Would you like to join the others?» he asked, motioning as he made his way.

A little shaky, Karen nodded, leading the way out of the kitchen. “Where did they all go?”

“Ahem…” Li coughed, “I think everyone went to Matt’s room, where ever that is,” he said as he drunk from his cup. He pretended he wasn’t there but heard every word the couple said…

“Liberty City,” Matt responded, smiling. “At least, thats when we’ll need to be there. I’d been thinking we’d leave a bit before that, so we could see some of the sights. And if you need to be back within two days, then we’ll need to do that before hand, as opposed to staying afterwards for a few days.”

Terrus glanced at Kah’lad. “Erm, by the way, your also invited, as are Nee’la and Sha’la.” He laughed. “Although I’m not sure they’ll be too happy about Sha’la.”

Karen turned quickly, more than a little startled and extremely embarrassed. Very flushed, she walked back into the kitchen and held out her hand.

“Hi. I suspect you already know that my name is Karen. I … ah … I apologise. I really didn’t see you, and you shouldn’t have had to overhear any of that. I don’t think we’ve met before.”

“I don’t think we have either,” Li said, smoothing back his jet black hair, “I’m Li Chan-wook, but you can call me ‘Li’. Royal Dannistrian Airforce Cadet, temporarily seconded to Shiro Academy. And you are?”

“Karen Alexander, from Kangarawa. Military background is informal rather than formal. It was nice meeting you, Li, and again, I apologise. I’m sure we’ll keep running into one another around here.” With a self-conscious smile, Karen nodded, left the kitchen and walked down the hall to Matt’s room, knocking on the door and assuming Cyril was already inside.

“Oh, I’m not sure about that. There’s probably enough for Sha’la to do in Liberty City-” Somehow the words “Sha’la” and “Liberty City” sounded vaguely harmonious. “That she wouldn’t be a problem.”

Kah’lad chuckled at Anna’s observation.
“Personally, I don’t know. Seeing a nude catgirl running riot in another nation strikes me as being a bit odd. Sounds like a stunt someone would do at an anime convention.”

Turning to Matt, he said, “I’d love to come on this trip but I think I may have other plans on that date. Will have to check the diary and get back to you on that one.”

«I hope you’ll diary will be merciful with us, Kah’lad. We’ll need all possible help, to handle a ‘rioter’ Sha’la, should it really happen… and we know it will» chuckled Arian, amused by the picture of “Queen” Sha’la Kah’lad had just offered them.

«Count me on, Matt. After all, I’ve heard a couple of old friends have been assigned to the Liberty City Embassy… having the chance to meet them would be simply great. And I’m sure Katara will be happy to come, too. She will make a fuss about being short of time, of course… but she will come»

Hearing the knock at the door, he smiled.

«Come in, come in… plenty of room, here!»

“Oh, I don’t know. They have the nicest jails. Maybe she’ll be able to see every side of the city. I’m sure she’ll have a wonderful adventure!” Anna gave her best impression of puppy eyes and opened the door for Karen. “Oh, hello Karen. We’ve decided to see how test this guy and see how long he can stay asleep.” She pointed to Matt’s third roommate, who had covered himself in blankets and retreated to a bedcorner.

Vincent had just transferred here. He took out his paper.

Yup, this is the place.

He walked with his bag into the dorm and walked into the commons, He set the tattered bag (which reflected the condition of his clothes… and his body… and him in general) down. He sat and his height became apparent, his black hair and blue eyes coming out of his cloak-like clothing. He sat back and looked around the room.

Such sheltered kids, that’s for sure. Gonna probably be the same as the last one…

He sat back, his face making him look eternally exhausted.

Hearing Anna’s comment, the student sighed before turning towards Arian.

«I hate the two of you! I hate Matt coming back at late night because of his damned Starcraft sessions! And I hate you waking up that early in the morning because of your stupid training! And now… look! Not a single moment of peace! Not even with the winter break approaching! Damn’it! Who are they? Why are they in our room so early in the morning?»

Nodding to Karen as a sign of welcome, Arian chuckled.

«They’re our friends… and they could be yours, too, were you able to raise your nose from your books, every now and then»

Without even answering, the student grabbed his bathrobe and his tooth-brush, then left the room, silently cursing against everyone in the room. When the door closed behind his back, Arian winked at Matt.

«My friend, sooner or later you’ll drive him crazy… you should know he needs some ten hours of quiet sleep!»

“Hi, guys. Uh, who was that? And unless I miss my guess neither you nor Arian are in his good books right now.” Karen grinned as she glanced at Matt.

“So what’s this about people travelling somewhere?”

After laying there for a little, Vincent decided to find his room.

I better put this stuff somewhere… Can’t leave it in the commons forever. But I don’t know which room is mine. Better ask for help. He sighed at the thought of getting help.

Vincent got up and walked, his cloak dragging behind. He heard some activity going on in a room and entered, not seeming to care about the fact that it was someone’s room. He spoke in a cold tone.

“Hello. I was reassigned to one of these dorms. Can anyone tell me where it is?”

Cyril, a bit uncomfortable being in the room with Karen still, came to this person’s aide. «I got it guys» he said. He walked out of the room into the corridor. «Let’s see here, it looks like you’re here» he said, indicating the room. «I’m Cyril Bardaria, by the way» he remarked, offering his hand.

He shook the kid’s hand reluctantly.

“I’m Vincent…”

He entered his new dorm room and put his bag down, noticing the lack of people in the room.

Well, looks like I won’t have to get the intros out of the way NOW.

He sat down on his bed and pulled his cloak hood off of his head.

Cyril was Dovakhanese, so he didn’t expect the guy the be super friendly like most anglophones are when they meet people, but he sensed an attitude about this guy that didn’t sit well with him.

“Well, Karen,” Anna cleared her throat. “Matt’s dad wants him back in Liberty City for some things, and he just found out it’s OK to bring guests. Me and Arian are going, and we wanted to know if you would.”