Shiro Academy

OOC: Just a summary of where we were, since a lot isn’t available.

As of the last point in Shiro:

-Cyril has finally met his father, who lives in a dingy city in Krechzianko.

-Karen, after finding Cyril’s note, is furiously writing something to somebody.

-Anna and Matt are debating the virtues and vices of going to something Pres. Terrus invited Matt to.

-Nei and Sha’la are going shopping. Noel may have gone along.

-Kah’lad is, I believe, not really involved with anything.

-Katara and Nee’la are in the commons.

And there my hazy memory gives out. I probably forgot something important.

Gorinskiyy, Krechzianko

Everything was moving in slow motion. The man turned around. He was looking into the deep brown eyes of the man that must be his father. They looked so similar to his own, yet so different as well.

He said something in Russian, which Cyril didn’t under stand and arose from his chair. The man gave Cyril a puzzled look, probably asking what he was doing in his house. Cyril showed him the picture. It was at this moment the man took a small gasp. Two teardrops rolled down his face. Looking up at Cyril, he pointed to the man in the photo and shook his head.

It took a moment for all this to sink in along with a feeling of profound disorientation. How could this man not be…

At that moment, the man took Cyril by the arm, directing him into the car and driving off. They approched an old brick building with some words in Russian and below «Gorinskiyy General Hospital». An orderly signed them took them down a long harshly lit corridor. The door creaked open slowly, the sheets of a bed rustling a little. There were a few people sharing the room, the man went over and pulled back a curtain where there lay a sleeping figure. His beard was a few days overgrown, he was very thin and frail. The man that had brought Cyril called the man’s name softly to stir him.

«Sasha, Sasha» he called.

The man’s eyelids lifted with a certain weight as he awoke. Looking around, he focused on what seemed to be a close relative, asking something in Russian. The man then took a couple breaths and replied, showing the picture. The man’s brow furrowed as he meekly took the picture in his leathery hands. Suddenly, he lifted his head attentively. He beackoned Cyril with his hand, putting his hands on his face, touching his hands, looking deeply in his eyes and Cyril looked into his.

The man that had brought him left behind the curtain, the two still regarding eachother for a long time. A stifled cry came from the man, tears rushing down his rough skin. He suddenly fell back hyperventilating. He started to shake and a nurse rushed into the sequestered area, pushing Cyril out of the way.

Cyril sat down in the waiting area outside in pure shock. There was no telling how much time he’d spent in there before the same nurse came out to greet Cyril, she spoke English.

«I’ve not seen you here before, but you really shouldn’t be in the AIDS ward if you’re not a relative» she chastised.

Noticing Nei’s surprise, Sha’la stated, “Well, you did ask if anyone was coming. I am. I’m not sure if anyone else is. When is the next bus to the mall anyway?”

Sha’la looked around and tapped her toe impatiently.

Cyril waited about a half hour for the man that had brough him the hospital to return. When he did, he brought an adolescent kid. The kid began to translate for the man.

«I am Dimitry, brother of Sasha. He tell me you must be his son, this right?» he asked.

«There is no doubt in my mind, I’m Cyril by the way» Cyril replied.

Thce man gave a worried sigh and began to speak again. The boy translated «My brother have VHI… uh… HIV. Get worse this month, nurse say not much time. You come with me?»

Cyril nodded and followed Dimitry back into the ward. Drawing back the curtain, he heard a wheez, he father’s breathing was laboured as he looked up from his bed at Cyril. He called over the kid to translate.

«I can’t believe, this amazing» the man started to cry, pulling Cyril up to him, hugging him tightly. «So many years, thinking no see. Bless be God!» he exclaimed.

This continued for about an hour, the man pouring out his thoughts, he reasons that he hadn’t been their, his regret. He hugged Cyril profusely. Cyril had nothing to say, but stayed with him the whole day and the whole night. Aleksandr Mefodiyevitch Karnikov died at 22h50 local time of an unknown virus.

The surviving family asked Cyril to stay with them the night before returning to Kelssek, but he thanked them and respectfully declined. The woman he’d met before, his real aunt, packed him a meal.

Before he left, Cyril asked to enter Sasha’s old room. It was a small space, but full of many treasures. Lingering for a moment, he opened the wardrobe and took out different pieces of clothing and trinkets, trying to learn a little more about the man he would never know. Something in particular caught his eye, a small bound book. Opening it, Cyril read it over, even if it was in Russian. In the drawer, there were several journals, surely dating back many years. Sasha’s brother came in, he smiled a bit and pointed to the journals, indicating that Cyril could have them. The two exchanged a friendly hug as he wrote down his address. Then, Cyril left for the train station.

He arrived in time to catch the ferry back to Kirkenes. On the way back to the mainland he wrote in his journal about his trip. Oddly enough, it wasn’t his father he was thinking about on the voyage home, it was Karen…

OOC: I’m assuming Matt gave the NPA a preliminary guest list with all of his friends’ name on it…so, if your not planning to tag along on this, no worries about being mentioned anytime in the next few posts.
IC:
University of Shiro at Tilden - Campus Commercial Sector
Motel 7
“It’s Bardaria. Look, it says so right there on the criminal record.” Wilders stated, motioning towards the peice of paper sitting on the desk in front of him.

Paula shook her head viciously. “And it says Bardovakhan right there on our copy of his passport!” She paused. “He has a criminal record?”

Tom seemed to make the same sudden realization, glancing back at the form he’d been looking over. “Illegal possession of a narcotic and resisting arrest. Extradited to Dovakhan.” Wilders shook his head. “Sheesh. Just who are this kids’ friends?”

“You think that’s bad?” Star asked, reaching over to grab another file. “Did you check this one out? Sha’la…oh, I won’t even try to pronounce that. Seven different arrests for drunken disorderlyness, not to mention the three for indecent exposure!”

“And the one for assaulting a police officer. Not sure how she got that one dropped.”

The two’s conversation was interupted as the phone on Wilders’ desk began to ring. “Hold on a second.” He said to Paula, reaching forward to pick it up. “Hello?” He paused a moment, and then mouthed ‘fark’ to Star. “Why, good morning, Mr. President. I’m just fine, how are you? Well that’s good to hear sir…no, no, everythings fine around here…uhmm-hmmm…yessir, I’ll put you right through if you’ll hold on a second.” Pressing a button on the phone, Wilders set it down.

“Terrus senior?” Star asked.

“Yep, wants to talk to junior. C’mon, we’ll need to go down to the tech room to put him through.” Standing, Wilders walked out of his room, Paula following close behind. Making their way down the hall, the two walked into the hotel suite that had been converted into the command center for Terrus’ protection. “I’ve got…”

“Terrus senior on the line.” The senior technician stated, nodding. “Want me to put him through?”

“Yea, go for it.” Wilders stated, glad to know he wouldn’t have to be the one to wake junior, or deal with senior, who had sounded…quite agitated.

University of Shiro at Tilden
Beachside Dorm - Room 412
If there was one thing that Matthew Terrus had in common with his dormmates, it was his propensity for staying up late. Nearly every day, he was up to one or two in the morning, and sleeping until ten or eleven.

Where he differed was in what he did with his nights, for whereas everyone else was out partying, Matt was sitting in the dorms, usually in the commons room, either entertaining the poor souls who couldn’t find themselves a party, or, if there were no such poor souls, playing Starcraft: Installation Turret.

Which was why, when his phone began rining at seven o’clock in the morning, awaking Terrus, the nine year old was nowhere near happy. “What?” He demanded, picking up the phone after it rang through a second time.

“Don’t what me, Matthew Henrik Terrus Junior!” Matt bolted upright in his bed at the sound of his father’s voice, knocking his head into the bunk above him. Groaning, he fell back down on his pillow. “It’s seven AM! Why aren’t you out of bed yet? Don’t you have classes?”

“Um, no, my first class isn’t until 2…”

“Well, I don’t know why that is! I tell you, back when I was in college, all my classes were at 8 AM…” Matt zoned out a little as his father launched into his regular ‘walked two miles in the snow’ story of college. After several minutes, his father finally finished his story, and moved onto the apparent reason for his call. “This Anna…Khaz. How do you know her?”

“Um…she’s a girl about my age, in the same dorm as I am…”

“About your age?” Terrus senior demanded, momentarily interluding from his anger. “That’s weird…regardless, is she that good of a friend?”

“Um…yea. Why?”

“Well, I…does she have to come?”

“What…y…yes, she…why wouldn’t…”

“Hold on…” Matt heard a click as his father put the phone down, talking to someone else apparently in the Blue Office. After a couple minutes, Terrus senior finally came back on. “Look, we’ll need to discuss this later, I can’t stay for long.”

“But…why don’t you want Anna to come?” Matt asked.

“It’s…a long story. Look, I’ll talk to you later, alright? Bye, love you.” Before Matt could respond, there was a click on the other end of the line.

Sighing, Matt hund up, rolling himself out of bed as he did so. He felt like crap…but, at the same time, he knew he wasn’t going to be getting back to sleep anytime soon. Standing up in his pokadot PJs, Terrus junior made his way into the bathroom, brushing his teeth and washing his face before slowly dragging himself out of the room, and down the hall to the commons.

Which were, as expected, empty. Walking over to the kitchenette, Matt plugged in the coffee machine, and began stewing up a fresh batch.

His single hard-backed suitcase clanked against his side as he walked towards the front door of the Tilden campus. Cyril was a bit nervous and his hands were clamy, causing his handle to get slippery. He registered, Kîrîÿl Dövâkhânâ Bârdârîâ, and headed towards the dorms.

Walking into the common room, he peered around to see that Matt was the only one that was awake. He gave him a standard greeting «Hey Matt, good to see you again!» with a hint of nervousness in his voice. He walked quietly down the hall and opened the door to his room, albeit a different one from the last time. Cyril quickly unloaded his suitcase, but this time he had some personal effects to humanize the room a little. He put up a picture of his father and a few other mementos from his quest. The journals were stowed by themselves in an empty side drawer to look at later.

Cyril fell back onto his bed, letting his thoughts wander.

“Hey, Cyril!” Matt called back, turning to wave with one hand even as he continued preparing his coffee with the other. “Welcome back!”

After Cyril had continued down the hall, Matt turned back to his coffee, making a mental note to inform Karen of Cyril’s arrival once she woke up.

With Katara studying hard for her finals, Arian wasn’t one of those spending their nights partying, but he definitely hated being awakened by ringing phones, even if 7AM wasn’t such a terrible hour, after all. Sinking his face in the pillow, he tried to ignore Matt’s voice, but it was completely useless. When the young boy hung up, leaving the room, the Rezielan Cadet sighed. Sleep had gone away.

Chuckling, he amusedly cursed against Matt… but, thinking better about the phone call, he realised it probably hadn’t been a pleasing one, for the young boy. Something had upset him… and it wasn’t such a common thing. Washing and dressing, he left the room, walking towards the kitchenette. For a brief moment, he thought he had just seen Cyril disappearing down the hallway, but it couldn’t be. On the contrary, the guy fussing around the coffee machine was definitely Matt… and he was definitely in a terrible mood.

Shaking his head, he sat down.

«So… definitely a terrible waking up. The phone ringing… and bad news, wasn’t it? But above all… any chance to have a cup of coffee?»

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEE-

Her face still buried deep in a pillow, Anna snaked a hand over to the alarm, which she found after clumsily knocking several things off the table. She felt around on the alarm controls, trying to make head or tail of their setting. At least “snooze” was never hard to find.

Anna would not normally set it so early on a day without a morning class, but if the last break had taught her anything, it was that trying to work with other people’s schedules was something that required a little extra leeway. And so, since it was 7:00 already, she made a heroic effort to will herself to wake up.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP A DEEP DEEP DEEP BEEPITY BEEP BEEP SHOO WOP DIBBITY DEE DEE DEEP-

After fifteen minutes of mental dithering and a rather nice dream about clouds that she promptly forgot, Anna tried again. This time she at least managed to pry her eyes open. The room was lit up by the early tropical sunlight pouring through a curtain that someone had forgotten to close the previous night. Karen and Katara didn’t seem to notice, as both were still at least visibly asleep. Finally pulling herself upright in her bright pink blanket sleeper, Anna made her way to the bathroom, washed up, and changed into her usual fare. Some particularly set-minded part of the Kandarinese national psyche had decided that black and red went well with everything.

Strolling quietly back into the room, Anna picked up her computer, which she had absent-mindedly knocked off the bedtable in fumbling for the alarm, and checked the list she had made the previous day.

— Begin quote from ____

Check w/home on trip
Check w/Matt on trip
Figure out trip schedule, pack if necessary
Check w/scout troop on December campout, explain cancellation if necessary
Submit Bio take-home final
Visit landscaping dept., check up on garden progress, esp. lilies
Kill something

— End quote

It was going to be a long day.

Matt smiled, his gloominess lifted a little by the joke. Though, truly, what he was working on at that moment was what would lift his gloominess the most. “Yea, sure. I was just putting it in the machine, actually.” Hitting several buttons, Terrus set the thing to begin mixing and heating the coffee.

“Should be ready in a minute.” Matt stated, his voice obviously tired. As he dug some sleep out of one of his eyes, he nodded. “As for the phone call…just my dad, who apparently doesn’t appreciate the guest lis…” Suddenly, Terrus remembered that he had yet to inform anyone but Anna about the trip. “Erm, actually…I was wondering, do you have any plans for break? Specifically around, say, the twentieth?”

BEEP-BEEP-BEEPBEEPBEEP-BEEP-BEEPBEEPBEEP-BEEP-BEEPBEEP

“Oooooooooooo…”

Sha’la fumbled for the alarm’s off switch and sat up in her bed. It was around 7:00AM. She cursed in several unrepeatable Dannistrian phrases.
“Hal’vo hav’nar…what was I doing last night?..” Sha’la mumbled as she trawled her way out of the room into the commons.

“Morning…” she managed to mumbled to Matt and Arian, who were both looking slightly shocked.
“Where’s the tea bags?” she slurred slightly as she fumbled around in the cupboards.
“Err…in the one above your…head…yeah…” Matt seemed a little startled.
“Thanks,” Sha’la said as she fumbled for a teabag and boiled some water up. She then proceeded to gulp it down quite quickly.
“Ah…that’s better…” she murmured as Nee’la walked in.
“G’morning Matt, Arian, Sha…What the?!” Nee’la mouthed as she stared at Sha’la for several seconds.
“What?!” Sha’la snapped, “Problem?”
“Problem? What are you doing?!” Nee’la seemed to loose composure for a moment, “You seem to be missing something…”
“What?”
“Your clothes…”
“Huh?” Sha’la looked down slowly and found that she was sans clothing.
“Hmph…so what!” she scoffed as she took another swig from the mug, “So the boys here can admire my fine form!” She said in her sing-song tone, “Unless…it’s too much for the boys…” she said with an evil grin.
“Urgh…that’s not the point!” Nee’la protested, “Can’t you put something on? Not even a t-shirt?”
“Well, even if I wanted to, I can’t. All my clothes are in the wash,” Sha’la pointed out haughtily.
“All of them?” Nee’la frowned in surprise.
“Yes! All of them. Even the things I bought yesterday. They badly needed a clean.”
“How did you…?” Nee’la’s jaw seemed to drop as she shook her head is disbelief.
“With great difficulty.”
“Did you not think of leaving yourself something to wear for the day?”
“I said they were all dirty(!) Anyway, I find this highly liberating. I think all women should be allowed to walk around like this!” she grinned, taking another swig from the mug of tea.
“You won’t catch me dead like that!” Nee’la shook her head again, “Wasn’t those three charges of indecent exposure enough for you?”
“It’s not like we are outside, y’know,” Sha’la still seemed unphased.

“Morning all,” said Kah’lad who walked in, took one look at a Sha’la, initially showed no reaction. Then his jaw dropped and he took several steps back.
“Like what you see then, big boy?” Sha’la asked cheekily.
“WHA?!GAH!!WHATTHEHECK?!WHA?!..” was all Kah’lad could splutter.
“Her clothes are all in the wash apparently,” Nee’la said drily, “I tried to get her to put something on as well but she didn’t listen.”
“EE-GADS!!..Urgh…I give up. You are one crazy girl, Sha’la…” Kah’lad said as he poured himself a cup of tea and sat down on the couch facing the TV, trying to ignore Sha’la’s sneering.
“Hmph…just because you lack the looks,” she scoffed again.
Nee’la sighed, shook her head and poured herself a cup.

Anna poked her head into the commons room. Looks like I’m not the only early bird…and that kind of ruckus will probably make early birds of us all. “Oh, hi. Good morning Matt, good morning Arian, good morning Sha’la.” She seemed not to even notice Sha’la’s wardrobe malfunction, and went to make toast. “Up a bit early, are we?”

Amusedly observing the Dannistrians, Arian waved at Anna, nodding.

«Definitely early… you know, in room 412 we’ve had problems with phoning annoying parents» he chuckled before turning again towards Matt, shaking his head.

«Well, Katara will have to meet her parents, but it seems the ship won’t be here before the twenty-third… no, I do not have a clue on why the hell they send a ship» he laughed «However, it means we shouldn’t have anything to do around the twentieth. So… what are you planning to do? And tell me… how long is the ‘unwanted’ part of the list?»

Cyril was feeling brave this morning, if still terribly embarassed. He’d face his friends and classmates as he’d have to some time or another. Changing into clean clothing, Dovakhanese brand tee-shirt and jeans (thank YOU protective tarrifs(!). He walked down the hall and into the kitchen, greeting everyone and going to make some breakfast.

«Would anyone like for me to make them some breakfast?» he asked.

He looked around at the motly crew that sat sprawled out in the common room and remarked that Karen wasn’t up yet. Thinking to himself, he didn’t know how brave he felt after all…

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEE-

… can’t possibly be my alarm … didn’t set it …

Sleepily, Karen opened one eye. She thought she’d heard bumping and banging and an alarm going off, but obviously she’d been dreaming. It wasn’t completely dark in the room, but no one was moving …

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP A DEEP DEEP DEEP BEEPITY BEEP BEEP SHOO WOP DIBBITY DEE DEE DEEP-

… ignore it … it CAN’T be my alarm … I KNOW I didn’t set it …

Keeping her eyes closed, Karen refused to acknowledge that she heard someone, Anna she thought, getting up. Definitely not time to wake up yet, and she was so warm and cozy that maybe if she just ignored everything she could just go back to sleep.

This time, she refused to open an eye. Nope. She was going to stay right here in bed until Anna was ready for the day and then go back to sleep. Of course, as soon as she made that decision, every tiny sound Anna made was amplified, and Karen could actually FEEL herself waking up more completely.

… not doing this … slow breaths … see … cozy and warm … sleepy …

No sooner had Anna left the room than Karen, muttering under her breath, climbed out of bed yawning. Glancing over at Katara, still blissfully asleep, Karen grinned ruefully, and still half-asleep, washed and dressed.

Opening the door and slipping out into the hallway, she teased the door closed as quietly as she could, then started walking towards the kitchenette where she could hear the murmur of voices and smell coffee. Peering into the doorway, the very first person she caught sight of was Sha’la.

Perfectly dead-pan, she said, “Saves on laundry soap, I suppose,” before starting to chuckle.

“Doesn’t anyone around here believe in sleeping in?” she laughed, glancing around the room.

Her laugh cut off abruptly as she saw Cyril standing over by the stove.

Sha’la greeted everyone that walked in, replying to Karen, “Well, all my clothes are already in the wash. Besides, I find this quite liberating!” she smirked.
“I don’t see why you should be so proud of yourself,” Nee’la said, returning to her normal soft tones. She then looked at Sha’la oddly.
“Have you been drinking again?”
“Yup! All night last night. And fun it was too!” Sha’la answered.
“You do realise one of these days your liver will not be able to cope with your ‘party hard’ attitude?”
“So what? I’m not worried.”
Nee’la sighed.
“Don’t you feel cold wearing nothing but a birthday suit?”
“No. I think it’s just you. I’m perfectly fine.”
Sha’la looked at the clock on the wall.
“Hmm…I think I’ll go and pick up my clothes now. They should be dry by now.”
“Oh no you are not!” warned Nee’la, “You can stay here, I’ll pick them up! You’ll be wreaking havoc around the campus with the entire male populace.”
But Sha’la was having none of it and walked off before Nee’la could exit the commons.
“Hmph…you are no fun, Nakamura-sama,” Sha’la murmured as she brushed past her. She bumped into two male students, both of whom double taked at Sha’la’s lack of any clothing.
“Sorry!” she said as she ran off down the stairs to the laundry room. The two looked only in surprise, then one fainted…

Nee’la once again shook her head.
“I’m sorry about this folks. I think the alcohol is still in here system…”
Nee’la ran off down the stairs after Sha’la, shouting, “Won’t you at least wear a blanket over yourself?!”

Matt simply shook his head as Sha’la left. “Well, I can think of a couple people who are on that list,” he stated, glancing at Ariel.

Turning, he smiled to Karen. “Good morning…” He trailed off as he noticed her gaze at Cyril. Glancing in between the two for a second, he made a realization, and glanced towards Anna and Ariel. “Umm…you know, guys, I needed to talk to the to of you about…uhm…you know…the…uhm…”

“Trip?” Anna asked, suggestively.

“Uh, yea, right. Why don’t you just follow me,” Matt glanced at Kah’lad, “You should come too, actually!”

Turning, Matt quickly made his way from the room, avoiding eye contact with either Cyril or Karen as he did so.

Kah’lad shrugged and followed Matt, just as Li entered.
“Say, did I just see Sha’la run by in the buff?” Li asked.
“You don’t want to know,” Kah’lad replied as he left.

Li took no notice of the two still in the room and started pouring himself a cup of tea…

Putting down his cup, Arian glanced at Karen, then gently shook his head. No traces of the joyful teenager he had played the flute with just the day before. For a brief moment, it seemed he would say something, but in the end he decided Matt’s tactic was definitely the better option. Silently, he left the commons, hurrying behind the others.

When the little group reached room 412, Arian opened the door, inviting everyone to get in. Chuckling when he heard the disappointed moan of the third student, still inside his bed, the young Rezielan opened the shutters, then smiled to his companions.

«Make yourselves at ease, guys. Sadly… no coffee, round here. But Matt is hiding a box of cookies inside the wardrobe… aren’t you, young one?»

«And meanwhile… ok. A trip… around the twentieth. Got it. Mind if I ask you… a trip where?»

Cyril held Karen’s gaze. He’d tried to think of what he’d say to her when this time came or if he should say anything at all. It felt like an age that they just stood there. Finally, Cyril looked down at his pan for second He turned off the stove and looked at Karen.

«Like I said in my letter, I don’t expect you to forgive me for all the trouble, but you know I’ll always love you, always» he said softly, letting his eyes drift towards his feet.