Shiro Academy

He let out a muffled yell of surprised and almost slipped off the front of the chair. It took a moment before his mind processed what Nöêl just said and he couldn’t help smiling. “Well I wasn’t going to share my room with an old man! But he still expects for me to report back to him every couple of hours.” Hiro stopped and quickly checked his phone, “Summer was okay. Spent most of it getting annoyed by my family… How was your summer?”

Though a little lost by Jordan’s explanation, Matt nodded, also allowing his gaze to go to the door…which immediately sent him to his feet. “Anna!” He cried exuberantly, grinning ear to ear. “You’re back!”

Dodging across the room, he hugged the girl, his smile still strong. “You’re the first of the old group I’ve run into…can’t tell you how good it is to see you! How was your summer?”

Suddenly, young Terrus froze, snapping his fingers. “Oh, I’m sorry, that was rather rude…” Turning, he motioned to Jordan. “Anna, this is Jordan, he’s from Reziel. Jordan, this is Anna…I think Arian told you about her.”

«Sure he has, Matt. Nice to meet you Anna!» Jordan nodded, greeting the young girl.

«And yep… I’m from Reziel. I hope that doesn’t mean we’ll have to spend our whole school-year exchanging each other truce glances without no reason at all… as our respective nations usually do» he smiled.

“Nice to meet you too, Jordan!” Anna curtsied to the young man. “And don’t worry, I’ll occasionally talk to you, but only when you’re not listening.”

She hugged Matt back. “Summer was great! I got to catch up on all the stuff I missed back home. Malev is pretty this time of year, too. I missed you, though. What about you?”

“Oh, not too much.” Matt replied quickly. “Just, uh, ya know, hung around the house. Helped my dad out with his work some. The usual.”

“That sounds boring. Boring is good.” Anna added. “I wound up spending a few weeks with my dad out on a campaign. It was…interesting. He strafed a peace conference, landed troops, that kind of stuff.” Turning, she whispered into Matt’s ear. “You can’t fool me. What kind of work?”

Turning his head, Matt began to whisper back to Anna. “I’ll explain…” Freezing for a moment, young Terrus stared at the thing, before finally speaking. “Anna…what…what…what…”

Garneldo - Motel 3.14
Top Floor - Room 312
“…the hell is that thing?” Staring at the monitor, the NPA Agent examined the creature, trying to make out its features. “I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.”

Leaning in Paula studied the thing as well. “Neither have I. How’d she get it in the country?”

Garneldo - Hotel Javier
Suite #1905
“Would you look at this thing?” The FPIA Agent pointed to the creature on Anna’s shoulder. “What is that?”

The FPIA Agent’s supervisor simply stared for a moment before shrugging. “Beats me. But, really, thats irrelevant. Focus back on the Rezellian…”

Garneldo - Shiro Campus
Van Outside the Dorms
“Dude, dude, take a look at this.” Reaching across the van, the NLEA Agent tapped his partner continually on the shoulder, while pointing at the screen. “Look at that thing!”

The NLEA Agent’s partner stared for a moment before responding. “Dayum…that is weird.” He shook his head. “Anywho…focus in on that other guy, over to the right. He looks real suspicious.”

“The kid?”

“No, no, the adultish one. Doesn’t he look like that guy on the wanted photo we got?”

“You know…he kinda does. Hold on, let me contact the locals, see who they’re looking for.”

Mainland FPS - Coast Guard Station Reviers
Main Control Room
“Sir, you might want to look at this.” Walking up to Pentastar, the Secret Service agent presented an image of Anna, the animal sitting on her shoulder. Staring for a few seconds, Penn laughed, before waving the man off.

Liberty City - National Transportation Service
Officer of the Director
“…what is that thing?” The Director asked, staring at the image. “…and why am I looking at it? Bob, I said I needed the new freeway designs, damnit, not…whatever this is…” The man trailed off. “But, uh…go get Chris. He used to be into zoology…”

Shiro Dorms
Common Room
“…what is that?” Matt asked at last, his voice displaying half-fear, half-horror, and just a tiny bit of curiosity.

«Well… I spent most of the summer in Âzûr, which is flat and about 9 kilometres round, so it got a little confining at times. However, you can also swim to the other islands in the atoll which are large nature reserves. Also, the night life was pretty good, but the Internet access is restricted to crowded cyber-cafés, so I haven’t checked my e-mail in month! I’ll be surprised if everyone isn’t very cross with me for not responding to their e-mails» she said with a chuckle.

“He’s my pet. I got him as a present from my dad and my Aunt Rachel.” The creature drew closer to Anna and nuzzled her cheek. She scratched it on the jaw. “Say hello to Matt?” As if on cue, it rapidly uncoiled and hissed loudly at him, spreading its claws and jaws in a menacing pose. Anna smiled reassuringly at Matt. “Don’t worry, he’s just a little protective of me. This species can be like that. They’re really smart and obedient, though.” Reaching up, Anna pried the creature loose and held it in her hand. “Adorable, too.”

Hiro gave a small laugh, “It sounds nice! Better than what I did.” His eyes had fixed on whatever it was on Anna’s shoulder. “What the hell is that?” he muttered to Nöêl.

Noticing a small group, László went over to them. But then he saw, that these people know eachother, so it would be very inpolite to just jump in and introduce himself. So, he just stood there, waiting and looking stupid.

“Hal’vo ho’mah’m!” Sha’la managed to shout out in her usual cheery manner, “Over here!” she waved to the group exiting the taxi. It was then that a fourth person wearing an army uniform disembarked from the vehicle.
“I thought you said it was Kah’lad, Li and this new transfer?” Sha’la whispered to Nee’la.
“It was. At least that is what I was lead to believe.”

The four people came into view. Kah’lad and Li appeared first.

“Ho’mah’m,” Kah’lad said, lugging his suitcase behind him, “It’s been a while, Miss Hasegawa. I hope you have been staying out of trouble.”
“Of course!” Sha’la replied exuberantly, “Who do you take me for?”
“A maniac…” Kah’lad replied bluntly, almost smiling in the process.
“What? How dare you! Jor’n n’ov Ne’valu!” Sha’la said in mock anger.
“Seriously though, did she behave, Nee’la?” Kah’lad asked. Nee’la gave a small smirk.
“Not exactly,” she replied, “Miss Hasegawa went out on a bender last night and looked somewhat the worse for wear. You wouldn’t know it now as she cleaned herself up.”
“Hmph…killjoys!” Sha’la held her head up and folded her arms in mock disdain.
“Congratulations on your promotion to a full commission, by the way,” Nee’la turned to Li.
“Oh. Ui’nopee t’ou,” Li blushed slightly, “It’s nothing. Really. I’m just glad the exams are all over.”
“Yeah congrats. Just don’t forget I’m the senior of the officers here amongst our clique,” Sha’la said smugly.
“Err…sure…”
“Anyway, who’s that with you?” Shal’a pointed.
“Those are our two new additions,” Kah’lad explained, “I beleive you two may have met both of them already.”
“Huh?” Nee’la and Sha’la looked a bit confused.

The two others approached the entrance. Nah’diir’s face was recognised first.
“Nah’diir?! How the?! Where in Hal’vo’s name did you go?” Sha’la asked.
“Likewise,” Nee’la chimed in.
“Err…somewhere…you wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” Nah’diir sighed with a tired grin.
“Well, I’m gald to see you well,” Nee’la said, “And who might you be?”

Nee’la directed her question to the female in the dark blue Navy Uniform. Unlike the other Dannistrians who were either black or heavily tanned, she was white. This immediately denoted her as being of British origins.
“Err…Hi…I mean…err…Hal’vo…ho’mah’m…I’m Petty Office Sah’mahn’th Gah’tahr…new transfer…to Shiro…I think…” She offered a hand hesitantly. Sha’la shook it rather vigorously.
“Ho’mah’m. I’m Lieutenant Sha’la Hasegawa-Am’ara, but you can just call me Sha’la. Or Shelia if you prefer.”
“I’m Corporal Nee’la Nakamura-Dam’acie. Pleased to meet you, Miss Gah’tahr,” Nee’la shook her hand more gently.
“Err…thanks…I’ve already met the others in the taxi so I know their names…Umm…so where do I sign in?”
“The reception is that way,” Kah’lad indicated, pointing at the desk through the entrance.
“I’ll help with your bags,” Li offered.
“Err…Ui’nopee t’ou…I think…” Sah’mahn’th said.

After some organisation and mishaps with the elevator doors, the group managed to get luggage unpacked and the new arrivals settled in.

“Shall we go to the commons to say hello to the others?” Sha’la asked.
“Err…sure…” Sah’mahn’th replied, a little unsure.
“There have been some new faces since you were last here, no doubt,” Nee’la explained to Nah’diir who seemed bug eyed still.
“No doubt,” Nah’diir said.

The group made their way to the commons to find some people already there.
“Hal’vo ho’mah’m!” Sha’la greeted the people in the room, “So how is everyone?”
The other five Dannistrians stood behind Sha’la and looked bemused at her overly direct introduction.

“Oh, yes, absolutely adorable.” Matt joked, smiling so that the sarcasm didn’t come across insultingly. “Where is it…uh, he…from?” Terrus glanced momentarily at Jordan, his face displaying a mix of laughter and absolute fear.

Justin, was stretching, as he entered the common room. He was still stiff from sleeping in the shuttle. He was surprised that walking around and putting his things up would have unstiffed him, but it didn’t. As soon as he entered the room, he froze in place ‘uhhh…what is that…thing…’ he thought as he lowered his arms.

“He…it’s from, uh…” Anna stopped, suddenly aware that everyone in the commons was staring at her, pointing and muttering to each other. Clutching her pet close, she rapidly ducked out of the room.

Grimacing, Matt turned and nodded to Jordan, the smile evaporating. “Um…I’d better run after her. We get along well…the whole age thing, ya know…have a good one!”

With that, Terrus turned, and ran out after Anna.

“I’m trying to think of a way that could have gone worse.” Anna mumbled to herself as she walked back to her room. Immediately, three dozen ways that it could have gone worse sprung to mind, making her regret saying anything. The creature nestled close, feeling its owner’s sadness. “Okay”, Anna said to it as she opened her door, “This probably isn’t going to work out for a while, so you’ll have to stay in my room until I say you can come out.” It stared at her, confused by the funny noises. She sighed. “I’ll explain later.”

“Anna, wait up!” Jogging to catch up with the girl, Matt came to a stop a few feet away, partly out of courtesy, partly out of a continual half-fear of the creature. For a moment, he stared at it, then stared at her, realizing suddenly he had no idea what to say. For several more moments, he just froze, before finally speaking cautiously.

“Sorry about that…I was only kidding, you know.” He said softly, looking her in the eye.

“I know.” Anna said, without returning the look. “It’s not you, it’s everyone else crowding around to have a look. I can explain things to you without any trouble. Everyone else…” She stuffed the protesting creature back into the lead-lined bag and tossed it onto her bed. Still not looking at Matt, she reached into one of the unopened bags and pressed a button on a small, rounded device. “Everyone else would probably have a fit if I said, ‘Hi, this is my new pet! Its kind murdered half of Krechenstadt two years ago, but don’t worry, it thinks I’m its queen and won’t bite as long as it thinks you’re not threatening me.’”

Terrus just froze about a minute, unsure of what to respond to first, how to respond to any of it. On one level, he was working to find a social response, one that wouldn’t seem too obviously well-thought out but simultaneously not be stupid. At another level, he was trying to work out a risk assessment, whilst trying to figure out why it thought she was its queen. On another level, he was hooking together what she’d said about Krechenstadt with the conspiracy theories he’d heard, an trying to judge if they’d been correct. On another level, he was wondering how she got it into the country, and whether it was dangerous at large.

Ultimately, however, it was his political/historical mind that won out. “Wait…so, that actually happened in Krechenstadt? It wasn’t just a bio-chemical attack that went very, very wrong? It actually was some kind of…monster army invading and destroying the city?” Matt was glad it was the question he’d asked…the more he thought about it, the more interesting the subject was.