Solidifying Water

West Naval Station
E.A.N. Templeton
Libertyburg, Southcaven, AS, EM

— Begin quote from ____

ALL CREWS TO BE RECALLED

Fleet Ships 1-15 will leave port immediately.

Fleet Ships 16-20 will be on standby.

Fleet Ships 21-15 will continue with humanitarian aid and patrol operations.

OPERATION:

Flagship: E.A.N. Templeton
Code Name: Solidifying Water
Set Course: East Gemica Islands

This is a territorial claim operation in disputed waters.

Gemica Islands to the west has already been disputed by The Oan Isles. Combat operations should be avoided with The Oan Isles. Fleet Admiral will be the Special Envoy of the Empress during this operation should diplomacy be needed.

— End quote

It was a calm and cool early morning when Captain K.D. Reyes got the order to recall orders from command. He wasn’t surprised by the order at all given how neutral the government had been over the war to the south and the increased patrol of the islands and trade agreements that were negotiated by the King of Caven on behalf of the Empress. Again not surprising since the islands where part of the Kingdom of Caven hundreds of years ago and had maintained a healthy relationship with East Malaysia afterwards. Compared to Gemica… East Gemica took a way different course.

[hr]
Action News Channel 3The Libertyburg Metro News Leader
BREAKING NEWS[sup]LIVE[/sup][sup] 6:02 AM[/sup]

“This is Breaking News coming out of the West Naval Station. I’m Connie King with Action News Channel 3. We just got word that all West Fleet ships except ships designated for patrol were launched in the early morning hours roughly about 1 to 2 in the morning going in the direction of southeast towards the East Gemica Islands which has been disputed by East Malaysia before. It has been rumored over the past several weeks that East Malaysia may stake a claim to those islands for East Malaysian shipping and naval operations to the Caven Sea. We have asked the IOC for clarification but their spokesperson advised an official statement will be coming from DAFA shortly.”

[hr]
Department of Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs
Eastrovia

— Begin quote from ____

The Sovereign Empire & Associated States of East Malaysia with the East Gemica Islands Government have entered an agreement that the East Gemica Island Government will cease operation and be incorporated into the Associated States. With this agreement East Gemica Islands citizens will receive all East Malaysian rights and protections immediately and East Malaysian Naval ships have been dispatched to the islands due to the closeness of the existing disputed islands of Gemica to the west.

We wish to open a dialogue with The Oan Isles to let them know we come in peace and will not stake a claim to the Gemica Islands.

Brendon Briggs
Director of Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs

— End quote

East Gemica Island
Bijou

Marilyn was watching the morning news when the announcement came over the airways and felt a little relief. It had been frightening the last few days since the government closed schools and the military seemed to be on every corner in Bijou. The officials said not to worry but an announcement would be coming soon but the public went into a panic and raided the grocery stores in fear that an invasion was going to take place since East Gemica is a place that isn’t powerful enough to be on the international stage and is a really peaceful place. She was glad East Malaysia was going to be protecting them now since their trade agreements had brought so much to the islands: tourism, financial services and more importantly jobs to the islands. She was already a proud East Gemini and would try to be a proud East Malaysian now.

Working for the Foreign Office of the Oan Isles was one of the worst choices one could make. One was constantly afraid of the possibility of direct war with the Oan Isles. The country was in a delicate transitional state of handing over its entire military apparatus to the Polynesian Defence Pact. With movements in East Gemica, officials seemed to hold their breaths with the mention of the word “gun” and jump when a spoon fell on the floor.

Anxiety. It was a crucial part of the work of diplomats. It made them constantly aware of the millions of lives that rested squarely on their ability to shut up, listen carefully and speak even more carefully, when needed.

Locklyn Le Roy had distanced himself from the Auroran Union summit to give Stephen Realua a chance to work his magic. It was difficult for him to let go and trust someone else with the reins for a minute. The East Malaysia/East Gemica situation threatened the delicate equilibrium of the peace and trade in the Caven Sea.
Locklyn sent a letter to the East Malaysian government:

— Begin quote from ____

Official Communication of the Oan Isles
To: The Government of East Malaysia
Subject: East Gemica

Dear Sir/Madam

I hereby request a meeting to discuss the recent situation in the Gemica and East Gemica Islands, south of East Malaysia, in our capital, La Rochelle, with a representative of your government.

With respect
Locklyn Le Roy
Head of Diplomacy and Immigration
Member of the National Council
The Oan Isles

— End quote

Glendale read the communication from The Oan Isles Government on her tablet with transchat opened to her Director of Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs, Brendon Briggs, on her desktop. “Well Brendon, it seems we’ve gotten their attention. They’re interested in a dialogue… likely wondering what our true intentions will be. It is one of peace but it is also one of access and power to the Caven Sea to help bring stability to our sphere of influence. I think we should send Alex as my special envoy. He knows what I want and is a popular figure to the south with his recent humanitarian work and does generally care for his former subjects. He won’t be happy, good luck. That will be all. Thank you.” With a nod of his head in agreement Brendon closed the connection and proceed to called Alexander Caven-Templeton with his directive from the Empress.

Meanwhile Alex was at a school play that his youngest daughter was preforming in when he was pulled out of the performance hall and given a cellphone by one of his bodyguards. “Hello? This is King Caven-Templeton”

With a sigh Brendon spoke, “Hey Alex, it’s Brendon.”

He paused for a moment wondering if he should hangup right away but realized that would be rude, “What does she want this time?”

With a smile in his voice, “Special Envoy of the East Gemica Islands. You’re due in La Rochelle ASAP.”

“I swear to God she does this to me on purpose. Just because we technically are related by a marriage does not mean she can do this to me.”

“I guess it’s a good thing we don’t believe in your God then. I’ll tell her she owes you a favor. You know we have cold hands, warm hearts.”

Looking down at his watch with an eye roll, “Oh yeah…Fine but I’m not leaving until the play is over. That’s final. Who am I going with anyways?”

With a brief pause, “…Lana of course.”

“You have to be kidding me. We have mutual hate of each other. Fine. Fine. Fine. Give me an hour” he said before disconnecting the line and handing it back to a bodyguard. “At least they don’t believe in goodbyes and hanging up is considered okay” he said before returning to the performance hall.

— Begin quote from ____

On behalf of the Empress,

The Government of East Malaysia will accept your request for meeting with our representatives. It is the wish of the Empress that King Alexander Caven-Templeton be sent as her Special Envoy of the East Gemica Islands with the additional support of Ambassador Lana Kax. They will be leaving for La Rochelle immediately, please expect them within a few hours.

Brendon Briggs
Director of Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs

— End quote

The Foreign Office’s Foreign Visitations Department was responsible for preparing for visits from foreign dignitaries. Its primary purpose was to ensure the comfort and safety of the guests, to magnify the power and generosity of the hosts and to protect the dignity and gravitas of the occasion. The Serene Palace was the best venue in which accomplish all their goals. The comfort and luxury of the suites, artistic and intellectual thought behind the intricate art, the shear size of the complex and the grounds they sat on, the pomp of the heavily decorated Imperial Guard and the general regality of the imperial court made the venue the perfect place to welcome important guests.

The itinerary and security plans were sent to the East Malaysians. Locklyn Le Roy, the Head of Diplomacy of the Oan Isles, stood at the main entrance of the Serene Palace, waiting for the King of Caven to step out of the long limousine that had ferried him here.

“Alex, make sure you read page 1,073,” Lana said holding up her tablet as the limo pulled into Serene Palace.

“You know Kax, we’re here and I’m not going to stay in the limo to read…” he paused to read the title of the page she was nagging him to look at, “…we are not using this information. No one cares about a kingdom that hasn’t existed in a couple hundred years.” and before she could respond he opened the limo door to exit the vehicle, followed by Lana and two security guards and approached Locklyn Le Roy with his hand extended. “Nice to meet you, I’m King Alexander Caven-Templeton but please call me Alex,” he said as they shook hands before introducing Lana. “And this is Ambassador Lana Lax,” he said as she extended her hand for a handshake.

Locklyn Le Roy introduced himself, and his position. They posed in front of the main entrance for photographers to take their pictures. Smiles and friendly handshakes concealed the trepidation and unfamiliarity they felt towards one another. The Imperial Ceremonial Guard performed a haka a traditional Oan war chant. Locklyn led them through the Main Lobby.

It was a large circular room. The floor was made of marble, a mosaic on the floor formed the face of the Universe, a symbol that represented the unity of all things in existence and was commonly featured on moko tattoos. Friezes of snakes and warriors and birds covered the walls. Red marble columns lined the perimeter of the hall and marked archways that led to the two wings of the building.

They proceeded to the Green Reception Room before them. It was the antechamber to the Throne Room. It was furnished with green furniture and lined with green malachite columns. Two soldiers opened the doors for the guests, their faces and exposed skin covered with fearsome tattoos, wearing their hair in a high bun with a feathered comb in it, a mantle of kiwi feathers and a very sharp spear. The guests proceeded to the throne room. It was a large room that formed the center of the complex.

It sat under the dome, within the rotunda at the centre of the building. The floors were made of blue glass cement tiles. The walls were lined with dark blue marble evenly spaced columns. Brilliant vanilla coloured vases with pink veins and gold brims filled with gorgeous bouquets of morning glories, arum lilies and roses.

A long red carpet led to the throne at the head of the room. Frosted windows flanked the dais. The Emperor, Oaloanu, sat in the seat of the Ocean Throne. Incredible sculptures of macaws rising from frothy waves formed the throne.

The Emperor was in sharp chromatic contrast to the rest of the room. He was dressed in vivid scarlet, with a large wooly raiment, a scarlet cloak underneath, an ivory comb with long red Bird-of-Paradise tail feathers and held a large white fan in his hand. Members of the royal court stood around having drinks. As the guests entered, they coalesced at the flanks of the aisle. A herald announced the King of Caven, having seemingly stuffed an anthology of his royal titles in his head.

They gave a slight bow as the King passed by. Locklyn stepped up at the dais and gave a low bow to the Emperor. He stood up. Locklyn held his hand and led him down the dais. The Emperor gave a slight nod of the head, but did not break the solemn and regal expression he wore on his handsome fearsomely tattooed face.

He welcomed his guests and held their hands, and asked him to sit beside him on the dais in chairs prepared for them. He sat back down in his gaudy throne. Servants brought drinks and hors d’oeuvres while dancers and singers performed a traditional sprightly piece.

The pomp, circumstance and solemnity of the ritual was meant to exude the power and regality of the host, but to some it felt overly serious and cold. But such was the Oan royal court: formal, with hierarchies that made sure everyone stuck to their place.

Alex was quite impressed with the beauty of the throne room and the ceremony itself was awe-inspiring to him It was something that East Malaysia lacked culturally and even his families former palace and throne room were a museum and they had conformed to the Peregrin way. He kept an eye on Lana to see her reactions and to anyone unfamiliar with the Peregrin people would seem she was literally enjoying everything but in reality it was all for the human aspect of diplomacy; they hated the formality when they view themselves as above the human race.

After the ceremony they departed with Locklyn Le Roy to another room where they could start the discussions on the issues at hand. During the short trip Alex took the chance to comment on the ceremony and to ask architectural questions about palace for a little small talk and for curiosity purposes.

After the ceremony had been concluded the representatives of the two countries assembled in the board room of the palace to discuss the nitty gritty of diplomacy. After welcoming his guests, making a few jokes and breaking the ice, Locklyn got down to business.

Locklyn Le Roy - The Caven Sea is a major waterway for trade between the Packilvanian and Pacific Oceans. We have to ensure that it is safe and stable. That includes certainty of where East Malaysia stands on our claims over Gemica and its intentions over East Gemica. We would like to know your position in that regard".

"East Malaysia’s goal is one of peace and stability. Since the formal dissolution of my kingdom more than a century ago and our incorporation into East Malaysia we have always had friendly relations with the Gemica Islands but when Gemica and East Gemica split off… their paths went two different directions. East Malaysia was able to have friendly relations with East Gemica and over the last 10 years they have been benefited with expanded relations of East Malaysia and more recently I helped negotiate an advanced trade agreement where they would start to phase in the use of the East Malaysian Dollar. " He looked to his left so that Lana could continue.

Nodding her head with a smile, “to be honest, we knew Gemica would one day fall due to its instability… but we miscalculated when by 5 years. East Gemica was on a path of becoming a territory or associated state as we call them. Once it was determined that we would fight to keep East Gemica due to the what we have invested. The East Gemica government was formally offered an associated states agreement and they accepted and over the next several months their government will be fully dissolved. East Malaysia has no plans to make any claim for Gemica and will keep the waterway open as it is now. It gives us an opportunity to solidify our historical connection with the Caven Sea and an understanding of friendship between our nations.”

Locklyn: We are glad that East Malaysia will respect our claims and we will, likewise, respect your claims. The Oan Isles may need to militarily assert and defend its claims on Gemica. We want to inform you that we will increase our military presence in that area. We want to assure you that our presence is not directed at East Gemica or East Malaysia. We would like to caution you that there will be some collateral damage. We would like to state that although we will do all we can to prevent any threat to East Malaysia, we must be wary of anything that may slip through the net".

Lana smirked for a second, “I’m sure what does fall through your ‘net’ will be caught by ours. East Malaysia has some of the toughest immigration laws in the area. What type of collateral damage is your government expecting? Civilian, infrastructure or something else?”

“Civilian and infrastructural. We will act cautiously. I would like to also touch on the issue of the speculated oil reserves in that area and based on projections made by geologists, the deposits may overlap. Should the reserves exist, and within or beyond the scope of the extent we have speculated, we need complementary policies for how they will be used”.

Nodding her head in agreement, “Your geologist are correct in their speculation. Our team from Royal Caven Petroleum did a study of the entire area and I could get approval for the release general information on the study results. I, unfortunately, can’t grant access to all of the information due to it could reveal company secrets and Ash Rival is their main competition in this area. Generally speaking, it was determined that some of the reserves are in our respective territories but a few cover both. What we would like to propose is that we determine the exact size of the overlapping reserves and divide them evenly.”