Special Delegate Election Update (August 2011)

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs issued this update:
— Begin quote from ____

The South Pacific Special Report

World Assembly Delegate: Topid/Daynor
Chairman of Assembly: Hammer
Minister of Justice: Daytime to Night
Minister of Security: Belschaft
Minister of Foreign Affairs: HEM
Regional Power: Extremely High
Regional Forum: http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/theSPacific/index.php?act=idx

Hello NS, Antariel is back once more. HEM was a little busy as he was considering runnng for the delegacy (see below) meaning once more I get to construct a special release. Be afraid.

Election perfection

To the surprise of one and all, Delegate Topid decided that he wished to resign from the delegacy, perhaps disappointed that nobody had tried to coup us in the past two weeks or so. Hence, a new round of elections grace our fair region. Cue extravagant election campaigns by some, 3 line TG’s saying ‘vote for me’ from others (naming no names to preserve impartiality), and an escalating debate about a proposal to establish a monarchy in TSP! Come visit us on the forum and see how things are going, then watch in awe as we have elections that hopefully avoid any lunatics trying to steal our beloved region in the future!

In other news:

TSP army has its first success, General Belshaft said to be ‘laughing manically’

The region is realigned geographically as the lines on our map are redrawn!

Candidates aim to look special and attract votes/issue bribes

Carta attempts to establish an RP based on cannibal teachers! TSP residents look at him in a concerned fashion!

All this and more in TSP!

Next time - we get a new delegate!

— End quote

And to add to that, some information on the elections in TSP I want to share:

Elections in TSP work on a primary system. We have a forum ‘primary’ election, the two candidates with the highest votes on the forums go on to compete for the delegate spot on NS, and the first one to replace me wins.

This election cycle, after I announced my resignation I sent almost 4,000 telegrams over several days, messaging every nation in the region (so check your puppets). Then there was 10 days for candidates to declare, and now the primaries have started. The primary voting ends on Thursday, so check in to see which two candidates won, and watch to see who the newest feeder delegate shall be!

Now, the following is the results of the vote so far, these are all the candidates that declared and the number of votes they have (minus HEM, who declared his intent to run but dropped out of the race after being elected Vice-President of Europeia).

Antioch / Princes of Antioch 1 ]
Belschaft 8 ]
Carta 5 ]
eob422 / Aionia Epitychia 0 ]
Anur-Sanur/ Haxstree / TestDummy 3 ]
Hileville 1 ]
King J 2 ]
LadyRebels 1 ]

Bleh. In the last 24 hours we went back to war with The West Pacific, Banned Punk Daddy from our region (again), and learned that the nation behind the ‘screenshot’ fiasco a month or so ago is back. Assuming this Frak propoganda attack is as talked about as our last one, we want to get all the information out.
— Begin quote from ____

Emergency Update of the South Pacific

A lot has happened in the last few hours, so another emergency update directly from outgoing delegate Daynor this time. Apologies for so much information, there is a lot happening.

First, TWP declared an end to the ceasefire. As such, Punk Daddy has been banned from The South Pacific… Again. We’re done listening to him on our RMB, where we could be having fun. Here is my RMB post on the matter; NationStates | RMB Post <- link

This was messaged to a TSP member from, well, I’ll let you guess…

[snipped because your forum lacks spoiler tags, click [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=134119]here

— End quote

to read the response on the NS forums (where there is spoilers).]

Did you guess the author? That’s right! Frak is back, grab your popcorn, I’m sure this will be a good one for his blooper reel.

Now, you can read into that arrogant tone whatever you want, personally given his across the board failure in the last attempt, and my continuance as delegate, he doesn’t have too much to feel that tough about. But, I digress. To the actual issues he raises!

As usual, our loveable failure has disregarded truth and the actual laws of the region in order to advance his goal, however pointless that is.

Claim: Bels and soon to be Carta are in violation of the cap, and should be ejected.
Truth: The law gives me the authority to ban Carta and Bel now. I am not required to ban anyone that breaks the cap, I merely have the authority to do so. Despite Frak’s last imaging campaign, I’ve been far from a tyrant, and much more liberal than I have to be, and have consistently given nations slack. If you go over the cap, I will warn you of such and as long as you don’t continue seeking endorsements I allow you to stay. I’ve given this exemption to many nations before, including [nation]ravenclaw_crimson[/nation] [nation]lt_hot_stuff[/nation]. I will not alter my policy now. It appears my successor will be taking a more hard-line stance as I’ve taken heat from just about every candidate for being so liberal.

Claim: It is illegal for non-citizens to run for delegate and we allowed it anyway.
Truth: It should be illegal for non-citizens to run, I’ll agree to that extent. But actually the law very specifically says “any WA nation in the region” may run for delegate. That is an error I accept responsibility for. When I wrote the original draft for the new election system I phrased it as such to contrast the old requirement that WA nations have been in the region for 30 days. I did not consider the fact that text would allow non-citizens to run. In compliance to that law, non-citizens were allowed to run for office.

Claim: Anur-Sanur should not have been allowed to run for delegate because of his criminal past and platform supporting a move to monarchy.
Truth: I’m not going to defend Anur-Sanur. The absurdity of his campaign I do not dispute, he is a criminal and moving to monarchy is unquestionably a bad move in my book. However, we do not disqualify candidates because we dislike their views or that they are disliked for illegal actions in other regions. I haven’t always played by the laws of every region I was a member of either, but TSP served as a new start for me and many other members.

Claim: We should allow King J and LadyRebels to be the final two candidates.
Truth: That’s fine by me if it is what the primary voters want. I won’t be forcing the others out of the race just because our loveable failure wishes me to, no matter how loveable he is.

All in all, these demands and accusations are only slightly more valid than the last ones, only because he hasn’t found the time to make screenshots of conversations that never happened, yet. They will be given the same attention we would give the rantings of any delusional or self-serving nutcase.

Needless to say, we will be treating these ‘demands’ with what we feel is an appropriate degree of mockery and disdain. We have already exercised the precaution of notifying all the WA’s in the region to be prepared for TG’s from multiple puppets calling for some kind of un-endorsment campaign, have notified several of our allies, and will be posting this in all our embassies.

So, bring it on ‘Frak’. Last time you tried to coup us we sent you and your merry band of puppets away with your tails between your legs. We’ll do it again if you force us to. You can’t intimidate us. You can’t corrupt our democratic process. We will run our elections, and there is nothing you can do to stop us.