Striking an Accord

(OOC: Posted with Eastie’s permission)

Coyden, 1200 hours, 02.09.17

Anatoly Baryshnikov knocked politely on the door to the General Secretary’s office. After hearing a voice say, “Come” from within, he opened the door and entered.

To his surprise, he found Drugov was standing, hands clasped behind his back, gazing out the window towards the crystal waters.

“Sir…?” Anatoly ventured.

Drugov cocked his head slightly to the side. “Ah, Anatoly.” He turned to face Anatoly. “I hope you have good news, for a change.”

“Yes, sir, I do. You know the occupied island colonies to our west?”

Drugov eased into his chair. “The Colonies of Eastie, or some such.”

Anatoly gave a brief nod. “Well, in exchange for protection, they’ve agreed to let us set up military bases on some of their islands. However, they named an additional price.”

Drugov sighed heavily, expecting the worst. “What do they want?”

“Taking into account the exchange rate between our two currencies…” he produced a small piece of paper and read, “…0.8162 dreyks.”

A moment’s silence followed. “You’re joking,” Drugov commented.

Anatoly slipped the paper back into his coat. “It’s customary for them to always include currency in a bargain, to finalize the deal.” He paused contemplatively. “Or something like that.”

Shaking his head, the General Secretary asked, “Which islands?”

Anatoly moved his hand toward the map on Drugov’s desk and pointed towards three islands. “The Last Chance Island… here, the Equatorial Northern Eastie Island… here, and the Morningdusk Island… here.”

“Of course, the deal is to be accepted.” Drugov stood again. “Inform Rurik to take care of it.”

Anatoly saluted, pivoted smartly on his heel, and left Drugov to his brooding.

Oliver woke to a incessant prodding on his browned arm. He blinked away the sunlight, and slowly focused on the sunswept beach. An aide stood beside him, holding a large plate. As he focused more he realised the plate was actually a white piece of paper. The aide said “Gulliver, The deal has came through.” Instantly a wide grin spread over Oliver’s face. “This deal will bring great prosperity to our islands. Tell the EIPF to sort out the details. For now, I must drink.”