TEP RP Map, Restrictions?

I believe this is the right place to address this.

Before I start, my intentions are to lighten TEP, not darken them. (I hope my proposals are not taken the wrong way).

It’s very obvious that new people come along and, without getting involved anywhere else, and in a lot of cases, have only posted once (whether that once is for a claim or not), decide to set a claim forward on The East Pacific Regional Map.

It’s obvious that people do eventually stop interest with this game and move on, especially with new people. I am thinking of taking away the rights to claim on TEP Regional Atlas if you are not a Citizen (Have not ratified the Concordat). Not only will this (well I hope so) encourage people to get dug in, it will hopefully put a stop the flow of people that are not Citizens, encourage more people to read and ratify the concordat and put an end (not literally but to a certain degree) to map in-activeness or map hogging (like seen with new members claiming a whole continent)…

Maybe also, making it (by forum layout) easier for people to access and RP history, with other nations which would then lead them onto claiming in the RP map.

Another proposal.

It is obvious, again, that TEP RP map has and is filled with a lot of ex-nations/inactive nations. Is there a solution to this or will they forever be on the map? (If there were a rule that ex-nations that are on the map get taken out, it will and can lead to more space for new claimers! :wink: ).

Please discuss on this, fellow Roleplaying nations!

Thank you.

Well, I know in the past we tend to prune TEP nations in the following manner: if their nation has ceased to exist (CTE) and they didn’t have a major impact on TEP, then we get rid of them. Some nations that have CTE have had very prominent histories. Nations like Free Pacific States, for example, has come back from the dead and RP’d from time to time, but I know he in particular is rather busy at his new law firm job. Savenchorbund, Carbonis, Reziel, Really Nice Hats, and Vulshain are also kind of in that same category, as they had an impact but for one reason or another are kind of on hold or just have moved on.

I’m fine with looking over those who are on the map yet who haven’t RP’d in quite some time.

One easy thing to do is leave all dead nations until their land is asked for, then decide how important the nation was for RPing, and either redistribute the land or tell the new claimant to pick somewhere else.

We don’t necessarily have a citizenship requirement also because RP falls under forum administration which is not part of the government.

— Begin quote from ____

We don’t necessarily have a citizenship requirement also because RP falls under forum administration which is not part of the government.

— End quote

[Insert Seinfeld Theme]
You know, if you think about it, the government can make RP part of the government. After all, legislation can work wonders in the right hands.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

[Insert Seinfeld Theme]
You know, if you think about it, the government can make RP part of the government. After all, legislation can work wonders in the right hands.

— End quote

I don’t think regulating RP is a good idea. I think RP would die off rather rapidly once it becomes locked in place by regulation. Also, some of our best RPer’s of past were not citizens of TEP.

We do prune nations occasionally, when the map get cluttered. I wouldn’t mind if we had a way to mark inactive nations on the map that were not historically signifigant though.

Maybe we should reinstate the RP moderator? Activity is on the upswing and it may not be a bad idea.

I agree with a lot of the points so far.

My biggest ‘grief’ if you will is when people log on and go “oh look a map, lets claim this land” and are never heard from again. Yet we have them on the map still.

I understand that real life can and does get in the way. Me for instance, I might have 15 minutes in the morning before work to get my issues out of the way, and log into the forum to see what is happening. Then when I get home, have time to do issues again and check the forum. Usually it’s the weekend that I have time to really sit down and ‘play’.

Some nations, like Xiopothos have a huge impact on TEP history. As I understand it, someone ‘took over’ Xiopothos because that person was no longer interested in the game or had to drop out because of RL issues, I don’t know. Think I read it somewhere?

Another example: Stanley Kubrick, a nation that started out RP’ing, then fizzled out, and I have not seen a post from him in a long time.

We should set up a system, and make sure that system is well know, before, anybody starts to ask for a spot on the map, that a nation on the map needs to be active or somewhat active RP’ing or just posting on the forums.

Like maybe have them required to have place on the forums here: http://s2.zetaboards.com/The_East_Pacific/forum/1000816/ … so we can ‘interact’ with them?

I could probably name quite a few like this as well. But I’ll stop rambling on and on.

I apologise, I set up this thread to discuss and I haven’t exactly done that.

Some interesting and valid opinions and thoughts. I think Pax has a valid point about not regulating RP. Doing so, although it may seem like a good idea, could kill it off. I also agree with Dragonia about setting up a system, encouraging it to the stage.

I have a few ideas we can think about for this system:[ul]
[li] Compulsory Citizenship

[li] Previous RP involvement

[li] Certain amount of time since join date. Week, Fortnight, Month?

[li] A pledge[/li][/ul]

Now I think taking a pledge, in similar correspondence to The Condordat that Members must make if they wish to hold Citizenry. Something that they agree that under the circumstances, if they fall inactive (and like previously mentioned), and falls as a nation that hold little to no historical value should be removed or made aware somewhere (This might require a bit of Regional Atlas reshuffle?) to other citizens that the land that an inactive/CTE’d nation sits on is available to claim. What does everyone think? Something like this? I think we should talk further on this.

Maybe nations that get added to the map can have “Pending” written across their territory, until they are established in TEP’s communal history? That would allow map claims as they have been going, but anyone new will know at a glance which nations may be inactive/never really exist? I agree that the 1-5 post wonders that claim map land are fairly annoying, but RP is hard to start without some inkling of WHERE one actually is on Urth.

Yeah, Xiophos was controlled by Kandarin for a long time due to a request of that RPer way back when.

I understand the continent of Aurora is really taking off, and that’s great. I’m not opposed to moving Xiophos off the continent if that becomes a problem, for what it’s worth. Perhaps we could develop a list of RP nations that should remain on the map even if their RP nation dies off? I mean, some nations like Coocoostan should remain even though they’ve long since left the game. Other nations that are still around but don’t RP often (Kelssek, Lazlow, Algaisia, etc) should be left on because of how ingrained their history is with other current nations.

Not contributing much but just taking bits and pieces I agree with:

1. Granting map claim rights to those who have been active for at least two weeks whether or not they are citizens.
  2. If someone asks for land that belongs to someone else, their request should be considered at least if the land they are asking for belongs to someone who has little RP significance.

I didn’t see any rules made or statements released, so I don’t know if this process is finalised. If it is, can the relevant info be made available on the map claims thread opening post.