The Cennov Regional Art Show

President Darrence, dressed in his best black suit and a green tie, reviewed his points for his televised address. He flipped through the note cards in his hands. He had to make sure he got everything down squarely…

“Sir, we’re ready to start.”

“Alright,” Darrence nodded, and strode to the podium. Behind him hung the flag of Gollifray. He set his notecards on the podium, each one separate from the others, for handy reference. Noting that one of them was crooked, he quickly adjusted it back into line.

“We’re on in 5…4…3…” the camera man mouthed the number 2, then 1, then pointed.

“Good day, fair people of the East Pacific,” the president addressed through the camera, "and may I be the first to say ‘Hello’ from the citizens of the Most Serene Republic of Gollifray. I know, and you know, that we have have had tough times in our borders over the past several years. A regime, founded only on greed and malice towards human rights, terrorized our people, and then civil war tore our country to pieces. But now we stand before you, a new country.

"We have not had a chance to address you before, as the work of rebuilding a nation is a difficult one that requires a great deal of attention. Now that we have established our democracy fully, and now that our economy is running strongly, it is our earnest hope you will welcome us into your hearts as brothers and sisters, fellow human beings.

"It is in this hope that we invite you to join us in a grand show of cultural diplomacy. Our newly ordained capital, Cennov, will be hosting an exhibition of artworks from across the region. This is a chance for our peoples to draw together and promote intra-regional relations.

“Our Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, Jennifer Franklin, will provide details to interested leaders. And to all those who hear my voice or see my face today, I bid thee again warm greetings from the Most Serene Republic of Gollifray.”

After finishing his address, the president continued smiling at the camera, until the operator motioned it was off. Once he received the signal, Darrence blew air from his mouth with a relieved “whew!”

“I hope I came across alright…” he produced a handkerchief and began dabbing his neck.

“You did fine, Mr. President.” the camera man assured him, “Now we just have to wait and see how the world responds to us.”

The Dean of T.A.R. stood before his television set astonished by the images that came and spoke to him confirming his position of the existence of other nations.

¨Too bad I already sent my scout out to see the world. We must communicate with them.¨

The Dean then realized though tv was one way talk it was better than none at all and assembled a tv crew in The house of Scholars. Citizens of T.A.R. tuned in to the broadcast nationwide. The room fell silent and the the record light shoots on and The Dean speaks.

¨Dear people of Gollifray, We bring greetings from The Democratic States of The Artist Republic. I am The Dean or Minister of this great nation of well… Artist and I speak on the behalf of the citizens of T.A.R. that we wish to establish relations with The Great Nation of Gollifray. We ask to establish telecommunications and attend the grand artshow in Cennov.
We will be awaiting your response on channel three.¨

The camera clicks off and The Dean staggers back and falls to his chair.

¨We did it! We found another nation.¨

An attendant ran up to the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, who was chatting with the director of the Gollifrian Art Museum “Mrs. Franklin, we have a response!”

“Oh, excellent!” she smiled as she motioned for the director to please wait, “Who was it?”

“The Dean of the Democratic States of the Artist Republic.”

“The…Artist Republic?” Franklin furrowed her brow, she had not heard of them before. And she had aced every geography course she had taken…

“They just came onto the world scene,” the attendant explained. “At least, it seems that way, Their Dean just sent a television broadcast asking to establish contact with us.”

Franklin nodded now with understanding, “Ah, very nice. And I must say, how nice of them to return our own dramatic gesture.” She chuckled, "Well, once I get back to the office, I’ll submit the form.

Later that day, Franklin reviewed her own notes. “Are we ready to broadcast to channel three?”

“Yes madam!” came the response.

“Good, please start then.”

“And we are on the air in three, two…”

"Hello, Democratic States of the Artist Republic! I am Jennifer Franklin, the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs in Gollifray. I am talking to you to inform you that your message has been received happily by our country, and we will be delighted to both establish communications with you and host you in the regional art show.

"President Darrence has arranged to install a video chat between his office and your Dean’s. This will allow for two-way communication to take place, and foster relations between our two countries.

"As for the art show, I ask that your leader submit a form that details the name of your artpiece, the artist’s name, and any important details about why it’s important to your national heritage. A picture would be appreciated, but not needed.

“Until we meet again, I bid thee good tidings from Gollifray!” and the camera cut.

The Dean was as giddy as a school girl which was unusual for a bald long bearded old man in a business suit.

¨Are we set up for the response?¨

¨Aye sir we can record now.¨

The man brought the the camera to life.

¨Greeting Mrs. or Miss. Franklin We would love to welcome your communications team to our island and would love to submit forms [A advisor whispers in his ear and leaves from the shot], however I been informed we lack the technolgy to fax or disclose our position to the world. Your forces may have to retrieve our steamship containing our Offical Mapman. The ship will bear our national flag[A black and Red flag is present], once they do your Nation is free to dock in any of our ports. In the meantime we will be reviewing our top professionals in fine arts to qualify for your show good luck in retrieving our ship.¨

The Dean wasn’t as giddy anymore after the camera switched off

¨How embarrassing we can’t even locate ourselves let alone recieve offical paperwork. I’m funding our technology department as of today [The Dean looks at his advisor] Let the council know of my decision right away.¨

The advisor scurried off to The House of Scholars.

“A…ship?”

Secretary Patrick Oliver was confused as Undersecretary Franklin reported to him.

“Yes, the Dean of the Artist Republic said that they sent a ship out that has their mapman on board. If we can find it, then we will be able to locate their country.”

“Wow, they’re just starting with exploration, huh?” Franklin nodded in confirmation, “Well, I’ll talk to Undersecretary Tinian about the ship. Where is it?”

“They…don’t know.” Franklin began to fluster.

“You mean,” Oliver was shocked, “that we have to find a boat that could be anywhere in the ocean?”

Before she could answer, Franklin was interrupted by an attendant who ran up to the two, out of breath, “It’s…it’s urgent…excuse me…”

“It’s alright, what’s going on?” Franklin reached out to steady the poor man, who seemed about to collapse from the running.

“Undersecretary…” the man tried to catch his breath, “…Tinian, he put the…the militia on the east coast…on yellow alert, there’s a…foreign ship approaching!”

Secretary Oliver was stunned as he turned to Franklin, who smiled and gave him a shrug.

“I guess we found the boat!” she smiled. To the attendant, she said, “Thank you, tell Tinian there’s no need for alarm. And make sure he doesn’t try to fire on the boat! Go, hurry!” The attendant sighed, and turned to hurry away.

“Hold on!” Oliver said, “I’m the Secretary, I give the orders to the Undersecretaries!”

“Very well,” Franklin stepped aside, and motioned with her arm, “give your orders.”

“I will. Sir, please tell Tinian…” Oliver paused, seemed to debate with himself over what to say, and finally squeezed out, “What Undersecretary Franklin said. Go!”

The attendant sighed, and ran off.

“Way to take charge,” Franklin joked, and nudged Oliver in the arm. She laughed as she walked off.

The Dean was trapped in his office peeling away artwork after artwork to find what best described The Republic, there were atleast 3OO,000 peices laying in stacks on all the furnature and new piles came in every three hours.

“I thought the purpose of the screeners was to cut the crap out boy.” he said looking at his intern laying a new pile on top of a cabinet .

The boy was startled by the sudden gusto “But we did, this is 20% of the submissions sir!” and he ran out of the office"

The Dean put his papers down and yelled down the hall “Get all the office help! I’m taking this to the council house”

The House of Scholars stood tranquil enjoying a quiet day, Until The Dean burst through the doors like a coup leader. The Scolars nearly jumped from thier seats. " Place every stack at every desk!"

After some protest and a brief explanation The Scholars began work like pouting five year olds.