The Crowning Moment

Sultana’s Palace, Bingol, Packilvania.
23 January 2023.

“The day is a gift enough”.

Those words echoed in Thumim’s head. As he stood on the balcony looking at all the people who stood in front of him, rejoicing in their tens of thousands, he thought, “My goodness that’s a lot of people. Even though the Bedonite dynasty has over 42,000 members, we, would not even fit in half of the space if we were all gathered here. These people could just storm the Palace and kill us all. And yet they don’t. What on Urth is so special about the Bedonite dynasty that we got to rule over a billion people?”

As he thought this, he almost became light headed as he tried to wrap his mind around the incomprehensible scale of the nation he ruled. The fact that the crowd gathered there was not even a drop of the population of Packilvania was Remarkable. It felt almost as though the people ruled themselves and the government was a small group of people parading in flowing robes, giving each other impressive titles, and patting each other on the back for being important. “But are we impactful?” he wondered.

“Perhaps one should not dwell on such things”, he thought to himself, “The real challenge is Saga’s family. Are they shy perhaps? Is the language difference creating a barrier? I feel almost isolated from my in-laws. It’s as though I am an alien being from another planet whom they are wary of displeasing for fear of being struck by ocular lasers. Or perhaps their disdain of me or what I represent more broadly is kept hidden for the sake of their daughter, whom we have wrenched away so forcefully. Even the bridal price that we sent was at first met with confusion, then deep irritation. It’s almost like we forced it on them despite enriching the Tynam Egendom by a few million Kiribs. Such a strange gang of humans. I hope I shall get to know them over dinner”.

He then looked on Saga and thought, “What do you need? I have money and power and I daresay purpose, but do you actually need any of these things? What makes a good husband? What use is a man who cannot give you children?”

“Enough of that”, he chided himself, “No amount of self pity will change the facts. Its best to move on from such malevolent and cancerous musings”.

After the air show was over, the family, from Gazhny Khot and Packilvania, went inside.

He wanted to ask her, “What sort of tyrants are the kin on your father’s side that practically none of them have arrived to support you on your big day? And the family you have here are barely joyful. I don’t know what sort of ice is in Tynam that should render a person so cold even in the blistering heat of Bingol. The Bedons shall be a proper family to you”.

Then he realised, even though he was congenial with his relatives and they spent many hours together, they were also trying to unseat him from power and rebelling against his rule. “Perhaps I should not judge too harshly”.

But at least his family at the very least pretended to be happy. They had showered Saga and him with gifts. They all clapped and danced happily. They gave Saga and him many compliments and shared well-wishes. They gave an extensive list of all the good things that they could look forward to. They spoke of unity and their continued support for him. Even his uncles whom he had unseated mere days ago were present. They were surprisingly upbeat.

His uncle Jibrael had said to him, “Thumim, you are like a son to me. Sons are prone to throwing their fathers aside. It is natural. I do not hold it against you. Even if we are at each other’s throats and see things vastly differently, we are of the same blood, the blood of Amhoud I all the way back to Bedon of Makobar, our forebearer and namesake. On your happy day, we will rejoice with you”.

Although not as eloquently, his other uncles expressed similar sentiments. Even his brother, was of a similar mind. They seemed to almost dismiss their attempted overthrow of his government as a minor scuffle on the playground among siblings. Is it that lies and trying to get one up on each other was so deeply normalised that it could be conveniently brushed aside? Or was this just part of being in a family?

Sometimes Thumim felt as though he was not always certain how family was supposed to be, but he did get a glimpse of something somewhat different. His mother’s side, the Mudawaheen were in attendance. From the 110 year old patriarch who sat in a wheelchair to a child born mere days ago, the entire Mudawaheen clan was present. The same tendency for mutual destruction, distrust, and disdain seemed absent from their ranks. His aunts and uncles and cousins were all lovely and gentle and seemed to lack even the thought of hurting each other in the name of personal gain.

“Was it perhaps that their lack of political power that made them normal?” Thumim wondered. “Something about power corrupting things. Well at least the Mudawaheens can show Saga what a proper loving and supportive family was supposed to be like”.

They went to freshen up and get a brief respite before joining the rest of the guests in the banquet Hall for the reception. A band played music in a mix of styles and from many cultural influences. Chefs prepared fine foods ranging from local cuisine to various dishes from around the world. There were hundreds of people gathered in this space. As he and Saga sat in a raised table on a rather ridiculously large throne, he wondered, “What sort of conversations are happening there?”.

When he saw Dotseth and Lohadek together he wondered, “I wonder what sort of scheme Lohadek is conjuring to get Dotseth to work for the state security agency this time?”

Then he looked at Hera and her boyfriend. And thought, “Such a young girl to rule over a nation. At least she has experienced love at a young age”.

“All things in their time I suppose”, he mumbled.

As he did so his father rose and gently hit his glass with a spoon, and the gathered crowd grew silent.

“Thank you everyone”, Namdun III said, “I just want to toast to my fine son, in whom I am greatly pleased, and his exquisite, inimitable bride of whom our little family is hardly worthy”.

The people chuckled at the remark. He continued, “I wish you two all the best in your future endeavours”.

Not one to be outshined by her husband on her son’s big day, Mebri stood up and lifted a glass of her own and proclaimed, “May your marriage be a long and happy one! Saga, my dear, whatever happens, this is your home”.

“To Saga and Thumim!” Namdun III said.

“To Saga and Thumim!” The crowd repeated as they clinked their glasses together.

“Let’s party!” Mebri declared excitedly.

3 Likes

(joint post with the charming Oan)

A conversation of spies.
23 January 2023.

The Banquet Hall of the Sultana’s Palace was richly and elegantly decorated for the reception of the wedding of the Sultan and new Sultana. The Hall featured multiple round tables of 15 people seated at one table. The venue housed over 300 people. A menu was provided which had a 5 course meal from which the guests could choose. Waiters tended to the guests’ requests as they could be summoned by a button on the table.

The courses consisted of a mixture of dishes with options for a variety of dietary requirements such as gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan options that were all displayed on a one-page menu that sat at the set-place at which every guest sat. The menu featured a range of meals. The entire reception was planned to take 7 hours as guests indulged themselves in the finely prepared meals.

At some point in the meal, Prince Lohadek left his table with his translator to have a long-overdue conversation with the notorious Viktor von Dotseth.

muSharif”, he asked with a hand outstretched, ready to shake that of von Dotseth , “I trust you’re enjoying your meal?”

Curiously for the man who kills untold numbers of people. Was a vegan of all things, he couldn’t bring himself to have an animal killed in his name so that he might eat it. He placed down his salad fork, stretching out his hand towards the young Prince giving it a firm handshake. That surprisingly still had a strong grip on it.

“It is quite well prepared.” His tone was flat and monotone.

“I am glad to hear it”, Prince Lohadek replied.

He invited himself to sit beside von Dotseth.

“I’m sorry for the interruption muSheikh, but I have been meaning to have a chat with you for some time now”, he said, “Given your extensive experience in covert operations, I have always felt that you would be an invaluable help to our strategic security needs. While I understand that you’ve declined my past entreaties to take up a position at the State Security Agency, would it be imprudent for me to make an in-person request now?”

“If you believe so, but my decision is the same as before. No, Nystatiszna is my home and its safety is my only endeavor in life.” The Zrei elf takes a sip of his warm tea.

“Can’t say I didn’t try”, Prince Lohadek, “I had discerned that it would be unprofitable to ask you but nevertheless an effort even if failed is a victory unto itself. Well, if not an outright relocation to our country, would you be open to being an external consultant still based in Nystatiszna but providing your expertise to us on a part time basis. Of particular interest to us is the strategy situation in Borea and the wider Borean sea. Given that we already maintain a friendly and mutually beneficial economic, political, diplomatic and security partnership with Nystatiszna, I believe it would be apt to have you as a consultant for us. Does this seem like an alternative you could at least consider taking up even if you reserve your final decision for a later time, muSheikh?”

Instead of saying no outright this time, Dotseth leans back in his chair. To take a strong look at the prince. “Forgive an old man for telling a story but do you know about the old Akuan myth of the carpenter and the sailor?” He didn’t wait for the prince to give a response, instead going on to tell the story. “Carpenter and a captain saw each other everyday, and each day the captain asked the carpenter to come work for him sailing the seas. Each day, the carpenter said no. This went on for several years until the carpenter was well in his gray hair. The carpenter mastered his craft of building homes, he could build a house in a day, a neighborhood in a week. Until finally the captain asked him one last time to come work for him. The old carpenter thought about it for a moment. Then they finally said yes, the carpenter would join the captain’s crew. One day, while at sea the boat they were on suffered damage from a storm. The captain ordered the carpenter to repair it, to which the carpenter built a house on the boat and sank the boat due to the weight of the house.” The old man took another drink of his tea.

“Hmm”, Prince Lohadek said, “I see, I suppose that explains itself. Well, then, von Dotseth, I would like to move on from that. In light of the mutual security arrangements that Packilvania and Nystatiszna have, we want to update our intelligence sharing arrangements. Key parts of our agenda include establishing and expanding encrypted communication channels, establishing a permanent committee for Intelligence coordination, and expanding the list of items on which intelligence is shared. I think that this would be a tremendous benefit to both our nations especially to Nystatiszna which could benefit from our satellite imagery which I think would be helpful in light of the instability and conflict in neighbouring nations.”

“I believe, establishing a more direct encrypted communication channel is more than acceptable. The rest of your suggestions are unacceptable, Borea is for Boreans. We can solve our own disputes by ourselves, with our own intelligence networks. If we need satellite imagery, we have contacts of our own to receive them.” Dotseth spoke in a firm tone, in over a hundred years of his work. He not once, allowed or corroborated with any other intelligence agencies other than his own.

“With all due respect, muSheikh”, he said, “You cannot possibly be that naïve. The fact of the matter is that no matter how pervasive your security apparatus, it is physically impossible to possess the technical expertise, economic resources and physical infrastructure required to cover all your security needs. Unlike the Norgsveldetians and Aurorans who wouldn’t touch the NIB with a 6-foot pole, our history of working with Nystatinnes and Akuanists in our own revolution against the Communists has positioned us as friends and partners of your nation. While the International community condemned your government for its supposed complicity in the invasion of Syrtaeszna, we did not. We have also proven our kinship to other Borean nations by offering to take in refugees that were being persecuted on specistic grounds which helped to avoid the wrath of Auroran economic sanctions. Thus, sir it would behoove you to start recognising that Packilvania is an invaluable partner to your nation instead of an enemy. Your real enemies are in Osfjord giving instructions to your Matriarch”.

“The international community has, but our partners haven’t betrayed us. Neither Norgsveldet nor the Federation of the Southern Coast condemn us. Neither has their organizations NCEF or the RCEU has sanctioned Nystatisza. Of course we recognise you as a partner, but my agency does not have a problem we cannot fix with time and effort. We have solved issues that could split Nystatiszna in a dozen ways, we have fought against NCIS and the Concordian agencies for longer than you have been born. Not once have we ever worked with another agency in that regard. We have, and always will be free of outside agencies.” He spoke in a flat tone not coming off as an angry statement but rather a statement of reality. “And I would suggest instead of saying Matriarch, you go by her official title for Akuanists, the Fyllikenkrasjlander.”

“You will forgive me, but it will take my Packilvanian tongue some time to acclimatise itself to the consonantal cavalcade of that… lovely and esteemed title”, Prince Lohadek replied, “If it is your wish then may it be so. However, our doors are open and we are anxious to build on our military partnership with Nystatiszna through meaningful security cooperation. Perhaps with time you will come to appreciate the value of my request. On that note, I will bid you adieu, and may you enjoy the rest of your evening.”

“Before you go, would you mind helping an old man by clarifying a few things? I assure you it will only take a short moment. Could you tell me more about our esteemed new Sultan? I know few things about him but I was hoping you could fill in some gaps about Nystatiszna’s closest partner’s head of state.”

Prince Lohadek was somewhat surprised by von Dotseth’s question given his inclination to purport that he knew all. Amused by the question, he replied, “Well, muSheikh, I am not sure that there is anything useful to know about the Sultan that is not already in the public domain. He was born to Mebri, the daughter of the Supreme Magister, and the eldest son and heir of Amhoud II, Namdun III. He lived most of his life in Halaler with his mother but moved to Bingol on the accession of his father in 1995. On completing his studies and initial military training, he was designated the Crown Prince and served as Regent in the last year of his father’s reign. Does that suffice or is there anything specific of which you would like to be apprised?”

Dotseth gave a curious glance at the young feline. He knew those things of course, however he wanted to see how Prince Lohadek would answer it. How well he spoke of him or how little he said one thing. However an answer that reads off like a biography summary on a website rather than a personal connection to the new head of state. While not outright showing the prince has little relationship outside a professional one it does point towards the direction. Of course, there is no such thing as apolitical intelligence chief meaning there is more to dig around in. “Interesting, my old eyes once came across a Crescent article about a new retirement law. I find it quite moving honestly, though I wonder what is your professional opinion on it?”

“My professional opinion on the matter is that His Imperial Majesty made a sensible proposal in line with our legislative Processes. Our government was in full support of the initiative to modernise the governance of our subnational authorities through updating the selection and tenure of their leaders”, he said, “I think it reflects his progressive approach to governance through institution building and effective management. It points to his modern legalistic approach to ruling that I think puts Packilvania in a good position to be perceived and treated as a responsible actor on the global stage regardless of ignorant and short minded perceptions and commentary to the contrary. It is his level-headed approach to international relations and domestic governance that should give Nystatiszna and yourself confidence in the sincerity of our proposals and the mutual benefit that can be realised from setting aside personal pride”.

The elf took a mental note of what he said, and decided to ignore his comment about his humbleness. “I would say, it is an interesting method of handling it, much different from the old days.” He kept with his old man routine, “I believe that will be everything, I won’t keep you any longer unless you’re in the mood for stories.” He still kept his flat tone, though his statement almost sounded like a joke.

“I appreciate the invitation to indulge in more of the prose I am certain you have stored, but I have much to do”, Prince Lohadek replied as he got up from his seat. “I would much rather prefer to read the proverbial stories of an intelligence treaty from your office. But since it seems that it will not be forthcoming, except of course for the encrypted channel of which I am delighted, I shall be taking my leave”.

3 Likes

Catching a felon
23 January 2023.

After his unproductive conversion with von Dotseth, Prince Lohadek had another fish to fry.

He sat down and had a drink. Prince Luwadeen sat beside him and asked him, “Who have you been talking to?”

Prince Lohadek replied, “Dotseth. Bloody dotard. The caprice and ego of a tin-pot dictator. I am still surprised that Grandfather and Great Grandfather Amhoud spoke so highly of him. ‘The Asgeir of the Snows’ they dubbed him. And did you see that coat? The man looks like a vagrant. I do not see what they saw in that man”.

“Oh, do relax Lohadek”, Prince Luwadeen said, “Poverty and cold weather are known to cloud the mind. Especially of old people. Nevertheless, he has his reasons. You have yours. We tried and failed. We’ll negotiate again if we can, it happens. On that note, look over there, at the table on the right”.

Prince Luwadeen pointed to a table where Auroran leaders were seated, most notably, the Oan head of state and prime minister. Luwadeen said, “Perhaps you should work your charm on that tattooed human”.

“That tribal headman?” Prince Lohadek, “Looks bloody ridiculous in those clothes, if I am to call them that. They’re practically rags”.

“I heard that the people in their country practically wear loin cloths and women walk bear chested”, Luwadeen stated.

“Are they mad?” Lohadek stated. “No wonder they are so obstinate and determined about protecting that hermaphroditic chimera of a creature”.

“To think that the International Forum says that they have a GDP per capita quadruple our own”, Luwadeen said.

“This is why I am distrustful of these international organisations and their calculations of GDP and so on. The results they provide are completely conjured by a witch who sits in Helen Reitz’s office in Rilanon”.

“Well then”, Prince Luwadeen stated, “That tribal headman cannot possibly best the Sultan’s Eyes”.

“I might frighten them with coherent sentences and running water”, Lohadek said in both jest and condescension.

Lohadek instructed his translator to ask Maui to join him on the patio on the second floor of the east wing for a drink.

Maui entered the room and found Lohadek standing at the balcony.

“Prince?” Maui said.

“Ah, Maui”, Prince Lohadek said, “So good to see you, come inside”.

“I think the term you’re looking for is Prime Minister”, May replied.

Prince Lohadek almost rolled his eyes but maintained a strained smile, “Of course”.

“May I offer you a drink?” Prince Lohadek said, “Please, have a seat”.

He handed Maui a deceptively strong-tasting non-alcoholic drink.

“A fine whiskey”, Maui stated.

Prince Lohadek smiled and responded, “It is non-alcoholic. Brewed by the Akuanists brewmasters specially for me. I asked you here to talk about Jasper Ray”.

“Ah”, Maui replied, “I thought perhaps it was to exchange fashion ideas”.

Prince Lohadek replied, “I shall leave that to the protocol officials. Well, what is the progress on that matter?”

“The courts decided that Jasper Ray was being kept far too long in our custody and decided to let him go”, Maui replied.

“That is completely unacceptable! We had an arrangement! We have demonstrated our good faith by not executing Kujil, now you have to hold up your end of the bargain”, Prince Lohadek said angrily.

“Look, Lohadek”, Maui replied, “I really do sympathise with your situation, but facts are that the evidence you provided about Jasper Ray’s supposed involvement in the supposed attempted assassination of Sultan Thumim, the fact is you have been reluctant to provide us with concrete evidence. Just as we warned, the courts will not except an extradition request, especially with a country with which we have no extradition Treaty”.

“We cannot provide you with that information because it is highly classified”, Prince Lohadek said.

“Then I don’t think we have anything else to discuss”, Maui stated.

“It seems so”, Lohadek stated. “That will be all. Please close the door on the your way out”.

3 Likes

It was, technically speaking, a diplomatic insult that it was King Emeritus Zaram V who was in attendance on behalf of the countries of the Tavari Union at the wedding of the Packilvanian sultan. Recent changes in protocol, to put it mildly, at the Silver Court of the Chief of Nuvo—his own abdication being the least of these—had demoted the man who had been King of Tavaris for 22 years to not even second but third in precedence in Line Nuvo, behind not only his son but also his niece Elarai, the newly minted Queen of Elatana. However new her title was—and it was brand new, as the independent Kingdom of Elatana was not yet even a year old—because she was a current monarch, she got second billing. So new and undeveloped was her throne that Elarai had not even yet left school to be seated on it, as she insisted on finishing at least this year at the prestigious Shiro Academy.

Not that Zaram, or really that many other people in the Tavari government, particularly wanted to insult Packilvania. They were starkly opposed in Puntalia, this was certain, but they had once been allies. It was hard for Zaram to forget that Morstopackian soldiers had given their lives in the cause against the Asendavians who killed hundreds of thousands of Tavari in the Great War. And as geopolitically annoying as they might be, Tavaris had very little reason to actively pick fights with such a large country. Most certainly, the Tavari government—especially the lovely woman currently leading it—would have preferred that just about anyone else had represented Tavaris at the wedding and coronation. She had asked the Emperor, of course, and Otan had responded in no uncertain terms that—and as he understood it, this was verbatim—“I am not stepping even one gay foot on Packilvanian soil.” And no one would begrudge him that, not his father and certainly neither the Prime Minister nor her wife.

And so, with Queen Elarai declining to interrupt her studies, it came to be that the Sultan’s invitation was addressed to His Highness, King Emeritus Zaram of Tavaris. Not even “royal.” This was not a slight by the Packilvanians, who most certainly were always correct on protocol, but an insult from the Prime Minister of his own country. Statute law regarding the abdication of a monarch—written for his great-grandfather, who abdicated in 1953—declared that a King Emeritus would continue to use the style His Majesty, as he had as King, unless the Diet voted to withhold that title. So great was Žarís Nevran Alandar’s enmity for him—and it was now an open secret that the Prime Minister and the former King were bitter, bitter opponents—that the King Emeritus was not to be considered “royal” at all. He, like Vonar II, who abdicated nearly two centuries ago because he sought to leave the royal family entirely and become an Akronist monk, was stripped of all royal status and every last ceremonial position and even made to leave the Royal Palace, the only home he had ever known.

The former King of Tavaris was currently living in the basement of his brother’s townhouse outside Dravai. This, of course, had been the greatest insult in his life and a cause of incessant, boiling rage deep in his soul for months on end. But even that was now eclipsed by truly the most evil, most cruel thing that anyone had ever done to him.

You see, it had been determined that, so great was the King Emeritus’ shame, so low were the depths to which he had fallen, that he could not be allowed to be the only person representing Tavaris. And he had, he would readily admit to just about anyone, truly shamed himself and his country. He did hold prejudice in his heart toward the Akronists, who had blown up the country and killed hundreds of people because his son had wanted to marry an Ademarist. He had refused to go to that Akronist temple. And he did not regret his interruption of the Akronist Priestess who had claimed the memory and the very immortal soul of Shano Tuvria.

…who wasn’t even actually dead at the time, it turned out. But that was an entirely different matter.

Zaram had actually suggested Mr. Tuvria as his fellow representative; he figured that Shano really needed a vacation. But, as it turned out, even though he had never had cancer, his months of captivity in one of the most impoverished countries on Urth had damaged his health quite a bit, and Shano was once again—and they were sure this time—too weak to travel. And in any case, the Prime Minister had insisted, they wanted the entire Tavari Union to be represented, so they felt it would be prudent to send someone who wasn’t from Tavaris.

Ivi Puna Laar, then, the Presiding Chief of Rodoka? But no, she was too busy. So too were the heads of government of every country in the Union, as almost all of them were still quite preoccupied with, well, setting up their quite new countries.

The Tavari Ambassador to Packilvania, Ešedríl Oren Kantõšt, was a lovely woman who Zaram had met with several times. Surely, Zaram had said, she must be the perfect choice. But no, she was too Tavari. Jaak Moenarr Vähi, the Rodokan External Affairs Minister who had ardently spoken in support of Packilvania at the International Forum Security Council was apparently also too Tavari because he had been a Tavari ambassador at the time.

So who would it be? Who would accompany the shamed and humiliated King Emeritus to Packilvania? The best choice, everyone (but him) had readily agreed, was the only person alive on Urth he hated more than the Prime Minister.

Standing there next to him as the pair walked to their seats in the reception hall, draped in orange silk so fluorescent she could be seen from Olune, was Vana spirits-damned Dandreal, the Matron of the Church of Akrona.

The Matron.

Of the Church.

Of Akrona.

Zaram clutched the silver handle of the ebony cane—that was older than that elven slattern’s entire religion—he had brought with him in case his hip started acting up again and prayed to all the Nuvoni spirits that it would. He begged for the pain, because then, at the very least, he would have something else to think about other than that woman.

Melora the Unlucky… Toran the Sick… take my hip, take my knee, take all my joints, I will pay the price, give me fits so they take me from here in a stretcher, he prayed silently.

Vonar II, if you’re listening, I’ve never called on you before, but please, please, please take this woman with you to wherever you are, he screamed inside his head. He knew damn well where Vonar II was, he knew that the Matron would be following him there, and he prayed that it would be soon. How they had even let her in the building was beyond him. It was a temple, wasn’t it? Surely they weren’t supposed to let Akronists in there?

And that dress of hers… he had seen how low cut it was. She had used her silk headscarf to cover her shame, but he knew the truth. She ought to have been ashamed. And while she had dutifully covered her hair—and, admittedly, Zaram had also donned some local attire, opting for a conservatively-sized but very purple turban to shield his bald head from the Packilvanian sun—her dress left most of her arms uncovered, and she had draped her wrists in all kinds of garish gold bracelets and bangles. A ring on one of her fingers had a giant chunk of crystal in it, probably some “sacred” quartz from Akrona or something, that looked like a cheap piece of junk. Aside from the turban, the only flourish Zaram had allowed himself on his otherwise typical tuxedo, was a long, admittedly showy purple tropical feather pinned on his lapel.

Feathers were noble things, signs of blessing from the divine. Zaram had briefly spotted the Shaman of Kuduk and knew that he understood such wisdom. The Matron of the Church of Akrona was no noble thing. Her dress even had a slit not unlike that of the Emira of Sayyed, which was outrageous for a woman her age. Zaram didn’t know if it was more or less daring than the Emira’s, as he could not allow himself to look.

He certainly, most definitely, under no circumstances could allow himself to look. He gripped his cane and forced himself to keep walking.

The Matron’s stupid shoes clattered on the floor as they walked. He knew damn well why she always wore those shoes, it was because she liked to be the center of attention. She certainly didn’t need to be any damn taller, she was tall even for an elf even before her ears. Zaram’s own cane, bottomed in sterling silver, couldn’t even match the noise of those damn shoes. It didn’t help that she was clearly not walking, but striding, practically parading her legs around…

Her legs that he was not looking at, he reminded himself.

Forgetting his lessons in protocol for a moment, Zaram quickened his pace and strode ahead of the Matron, reaching the table first—and then, covering himself, pulled out a chair and offered it to the Matron.

“You’re too kind,” said the Matron with a smirk as she took the offered chair. Her voice was honeyed with… er, dripping with sarcasm as her bright smile shone… Er, that was to say, her smirk…

Zaram forced himself to sit down and clenched his jaw as tightly shut as he could manage, as if that could silence his mind. Something evil had gotten inside him and was making him think… dark thoughts. A waiter was already waiting at the table to ensure the dignitaries had refreshments, and Zaram wasted no time. “Do you have Tavari rum? Top shelf, bottom shelf, I don’t care, just… Tavari rum. If you don’t have Tavari, then… just, whiskey from wherever. On ice. Keep it coming,” he barked.

“You mustn’t mind the King,” said the Matron in that… voice of hers. “But I would be most appreciative if you could bring me some rosé. From whichever country you like.” She smiled then, a true smile, first at the waiter and then at Zaram, followed by a brief but unmistakable wink.

It was then that he felt his heart beat for the first time in 33 years.

This was, he feared, going to be a very, very long night.

3 Likes

Ademar’s blood, to think I used to enjoy this…

Helena had drifted about the peripheries of the celebrations, making idle conversation as she went. But in truth she was more an outsider here than most, one with the oddest sort of position. It had been near four months since she’d taken office as the Secretary-General, and kept the cantankerous Forum in some state of order ever since - Though whether that was due to any sort of leadership competence or simple exhaustion, even she could not say. But at times it seemed that some still thought of her as a Cryrian representative. Manjit Rahar had all but queried her as such once already, and it was an association Reitz had worked hard to shed since accepting her new role.

And in truth, Helena did not envy anyone sitting in her old office now. Maravel doubtless had his hands full these days. The Foreign Ministry had always been happiest when its warming relations towards Bingol were out of the spotlight and the public’s mind. That could hardly be the case now, even as the Ministry tread the fine lines needed to separate the Kingdom’s continuing policies from this wedding.

All things which, fortunately, were no longer any of her business. Childish though it was, there was some vindictive delight in knowing that. Helena could not say if she would have handled this matter any better, but after having spent so long cautioning against the political drift towards Yasteria this was perhaps as close to an ‘I told you so’ she could ever hope to get.

“Triarca Costantini,” Helena nodded to a Celanoran woman, “I see you have met Miss Reo?”

“Indeed,” the Triarca of Alenova said thinly, “I suppose I should thank you for the fact that we can speak to the Astelans at all.”

“Blame me, you mean?” the Secretary-General joked. Mediating between Astela and Celanora had been her crowning achievement, really, but she could not say whether the world was any better off for it. The Astelan junta remained as it ever had been, perhaps even worse now. Last she’d seen, their delegation was off in some corner with the Serramali.

Birds of a feather indeed.

Costantini did not respond to that however, and instead vaguely gestured towards the Sultana at the high table, “Friend of yours, I suppose?”

The Secretary-General shook her head, “Acquaintance,” she said. A few of Tynam’s personal friends had come from Cryria, though Helena suspected that many more passing associates had chosen to keep their distance for now in the public eye at least.

“I’m sure Svea can introduce you, if you wish,” the Secretary-General motioned to where Svea Widfross had apparently pulled the Duke of Erevia into some obscure literary debate, “Ah, you are familiar with Lady Widfross, I believe?”

“Passingly,” the Triarca admitted, “At the Imperial Arts Gallery in Lucroza.”

“Come then!” Helena smiled and guided Costantini by the arm, “I think you will rather like her.”

And this, she remembered, was the part she’d enjoyed.

1 Like

Temple of the Authority, Bingol, Packilvania.
23 January 2023.

Maui was seated at his table chatting away with important foreign dignitaries when his attaché came up to him and whispered something which the rest of the people gathered could not comprehend. He stood up and took his leave. From his stomping stride and pink ears, it was apparent that he was seething.

Like a piece of iron drawn to a powerful magnetic, he marched straight towards Prince Lohadek who was laughing and chatting with other guests and important people.

“Prince Lohadek, may I have a word with you”, Maui asked.

“But Prime Minister, I’m having a chat with our lovely friends here. Can it wait?” Prince Lohadek asked looking confused.

“I must insist, sir, the matter is urgent”, Maui said his left eye twitching from his stifled fury.

“Of course”, Prince Lohadek said and gave his apologies to his guests.

Prince Lohadek found a quiet room in which they could speak freely without being heard.

“You scoundrel!” Maui yelled, “You fiend!”

“Sir, I do not appreciate the manner in which you are speaking to me”, Prince Lohadek replied coolly.

“Apparently the Crescent reported that five Oan males have been arrested and sentenced to death”, Maui explained, “How did this case go from arrest to verdict in an hour?”

“I am not certain, sir”, Prince Lohadek replied, “You will have to assess the facts of the case and the reasons given by the judge in the verdict”.

“One thing I know about your nation is that there no independent judiciary in this nation and well know you are the Sultan’s Eyes”, Maui state sarcastically.

“I have not the foggiest idea why such an epithet would be applied to me”, Prince Lohadek replied coyly, “Perhaps the Sultan and I have a similar eye color”.

“You’re a piece of work!” Maui replied.

“Mr Prime Minister”, Prince Lohadek said and he sat on a chair on one side of the room, “Justice in Packilvania moves fast, the evidence against these five men must have been so compelling that the judge was able to make a decision quickly”.

“You’re a liar”, Maui proclaimed.

“Sir, you really must calm down”, Prince Lohadek stated. “I would recommend that you file an extradition request with Packilvanian embassy in your capital city”.

“You know that those things take forever to process”, Maui stated.

“Oh really?” Prince Lohadek asked, “I wouldn’t know”.

“Are you this petulant, that you would sabotage your Sultan’s wedding to score political points?” Maui asked, “What do you think would happen if all the representatives here found out about this?”

“I don’t know, I cannot speak to what they will or will not do; that prescience evades me” Lohadek stated, “Tell you what. This matter seems to be bothering you a lot. How about we sign an extradition Treaty that can help to resolve issues such as these more expeditiously”.

“I cannot believe that you would stoop so low to get what you want”, Maui stated, his expression and voice filled with venom. “You exploited our goodwill to your nation and our presence here to get what you want”.

“Firstly, Prime Minister, you are making allegations for which you have no proof”, Prince Lohadek stated, “Secondly, you are a hypocrite. When Ethalria attempted to assassinate King Lambertus VII and tragically led to the demise of Prince Thadeus, who will be sorely missed, what did the Oan Isles do? You called for an invasion! You wanted a war! There are hundreds of thousands of people who died at the hands of your supposedly progressive and Democratic government. Where was your supposedly independent judiciary when your forces dropped bombs over Uspalria and Ethalria and Stratarin. Do not lecture me about morals and values that you do not have!”

“That was different”, Maui stated, caught off guard.

“How?” Prince Lohadek asked, raising his voice and standing up, slowly walking towards Maui with each step, “When we found out that a citizen of your nation attempted to assassinate our ruler, we did not try to invade your nation. We have been negotiating with you people and begging you for months. We did not try to get other nations to put pressure on you. We did not lay sanctions against you. We never touched you. We were patient and gentle and understanding and yet in the end you failed to honour our request and keep the promise you made to us. You people are so determined to prove how superior your moral values are. I would recommend your dismount the horse of your so-called values lest your break your neck from the dizzying heights of your self righteousness”.

Maui was silent.

Prince Lohadek continued, “You have an opportunity to go out there and tell the world how managed to get Packilvania to sign a Treaty that brings you one step closer to propagating sentient rights or whatever it is you think you believe by signing this Treaty. I’ve read it myself. It seems like a good bet”.

“I want to read it”, Maui replied embarrassed and annoyed.

Prince Lohadek called his attache to send a copy of the Treaty from his office.

Maui sat for 20 minutes reading through its provisions.

“Thoughts, Prime Minister”, Prince Lohadek asked.

“Packilvania is willing to extradite Oans who are homosexual, transgender, found guilty of fornication, blasphemy, insulting the monarch and committing sorcery”, Maui read, “I’m surprised you are giving us this. We’ve been trying to get your country to approve something for like this for years”.

“Packilvania is under new management now and is a responsible actor in global affairs”, Prince Lohadek, “of which I am sure you will apprise the delegates out there and assuage their misgivings”.

Maui was visibly annoyed but with little room to maneuver and wishing to avoid the embarrassment of five Oan citizens being executed in Packilvania while both the Prime Minister and monarch were present, he said, “We can have a press conference and signing ceremony in 15 minutes. Do you think that can be arranged?”

“Of course, Prime Minister!”

2 Likes

“Ambassador. Welcome back.”

As the banquet wore on and the early obligations of politeness passed, it found the Cryrian Queen keeping ever more to herself at the periphery of the celebrations. Whether this was born of simple disinterest or a desire to have any more than a minimal presence at what could yet prove to be a controversial gathering, Lindskog could not say. Whatever the case, the Ambassador was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. He had no familiarity with the sitting monarch, but every civil servant knew that the Drifting Throne was easiest to serve when it stayed out of the spotlight.

“Apologies, Your Majesty,” Lindskog offered a short bow in greetings, “Speaker Tuyuideger had a great deal to say.”

That was something of an understatement. The Älemsi premier could hold a conversation till the heat death of the universe, and at times Lindskog had to remind himself that few rose to the Speakership without hiding an iron will and perhaps a few dark deeds behind the smile.

“No need to apologize, Ambassador,” Ulrika gestured broadly at the table she’d claimed for herself. Polished off plates, and wineglasses for… three. Lindskog frowned. Though the Protocol-Captain had taken a seat as well, the third was surely not his.

“As you can see, we are quite well, and well entertained,” the Queen finished, “I trust the Speaker is doing well?”

“As well as he was when Your Majesty last spoke to him… an hour ago,” Lindskog observed. But that had been a perfunctory conversation, and the Ambassador knew what was being asked of him. So he took a seat.

“He is worried,” the Ambassador admitted, “Only a little but still. The Älemsi know they’re losing a friend in Leidenstad, with Tynam gone. And they were already questioning our commitment to northern Novaris, now there’s going to be at least a few in Amrakh who think this will have us moving even closer to a Yasterian orbit.”

Ulrika considered this, “And they are correct to worry?”

“Everyone is always correct to worry, Your Grace,” Lindskog said humorlessly, “But I’m certain the Foreign Minister will be well-positioned to set the Speaker’s mind at ease regarding our relationship. As far as we should be concerned, this,” he motioned around at the gathering, “Stopped having any relation to Cryrian policymaking as soon as you struck Tynam from the citizenship rolls.”

Any thoughts the Queen might have had on that were hidden behind a noncommittal grunt.

“I suppose you shall have your hands full here as it is,” she finally said. To that, Lindskog had to nod his agreement. He had been appointed to the Bingol Embassy for scarcely half a year, but it had scarcely been a quiet time. Not least given his predecessor’s early dismissal for failing to see what was before him - Or perhaps choosing not to. The Ambassador suspected that only the number of senior and skilled personnel in the embassy had kept Maravel from purging the staff entirely.

“Remind me Ambassador, what was your prior posting?”

“Here,” he said simply, “In easier times. Then behind a desk in Leidenstad since 2018.”

“Back again then?”

Lindskog had to shrug, “It can grow on you.”

“So it would seem,” Ulrika said dryly. She motioned to the third, empty wineglass, “President Rahar came by, incidentally.”

“Oh?” Lindskog asked warily. That man was rarely good news.

“Nothing of particular import,” the Queen said, “I do believe the man is unwell however.”

“He has a tremor,” the Protocol-Captain suddenly spoke, motioning with one hand to demonstrate, “It shows when he thinks no one is looking. Moving slowly too.”

“And his speech has changed since he last visited Karsholm,” Ulrika added. It could have all meant anything, but to Lindskog it sounded like nothing good. The Rahar clan had run that tinderbox since the Great War, and Manjit himself for nearly half a century now. A dangerous snake of a man, from what the Ambassador knew of him, but with the way things were down there now, who could say what would happen if he finally passed?

But as much as the place could be a treasure chest of embarrassing history, Serramal was also a distant problem, one which mostly belonged to other people now. The Queen herself seemed to agree with this.

“I suppose it is of no concern to us though,” she said, perhaps too pointedly.

“Not for us to worry about, at any rate,” the Ambassador said quietly. Even as he did, his old words came back to haunt him.

Everyone is always correct to worry.

1 Like

Temple of the Authority, Bingol, Packilvania.
23 January 2023.

“Prince Lohadek is proving to be quite impressive”, Thumim said as he spoke to Prince Luwadeen.

“He might just get your job”, Thumim said with a laugh, demonstrating that he meant what he said in jest.

Prince Luwadeen adjusted his spectacles and said, “Perhaps, that might not be a bad idea”.

“What do you mean?” Thumim asked.

“I mean, he’s younger and quite dextrous in his geopolitical and strategic genius”, Prince Luwadeen said. “He’s proven valuable many times before. But, his ambition is getting to his head. Doing this during your wedding? If it had backfired, it would have been a complete embarrassment”.

“You are right”, Thumim said. “At the end of the day, it is more important for ministers to communicate these kinds of things given the context. I want to avoid having Ministers make their departments fiefdoms over which the Crown loses its power of oversight”.

“I agree with you on that front”, Prince Luwadeen replied, “The new governors are barely finding their feet. Even out of office, your uncles are not to be underestimated. And neither is your brother”.

“If I am to be sincere, I do not think that Prince Abuyin has as voracious an appetite for the Throne as it might seem. I think these ideas are being implanted in his head by the governors and it certainly hasn’t helped that he always premused that he would be my heir”, Thumim said.

“You and everyone else gave him that impression”, Prince Luwadeen stated. “Be ready for the fight, sir. Once your coronation is over, it will be back to the court case he has not dropped yet”.

“Oh, yes, how unfortunate that you remind me”, Thumim grunted, “I should rather we resolve things with a duel like gentlemen rather than parley with rotund legal jargon embarrassing ourselves in court”.

“Unfortunately, trial by combat is not legal, sir”, Prince Luwadeen replied, enjoying the banter with his friend.

“I should pass a law”, Thumim joked.

“Sir!” Prince Luwadeen stated, “The world might call us medieval, but we’re not THAT medieval”.

“Despise that word almost as much as I dislike democracy”, Thumim said.

“Or protest”, Prince Luwadeen quipped.

“I don’t know how these Democratic leaders do it!” Thumim said, “It’s an appalling notion. People marching in the streets with signs, and chanting for the overthrow of the state. Why can they not resolve their disputes with the state through calm discussion and via appropriate channels?”

“Exactly! Spot on sir”, Prince Luwadeen stated, "At least our government has public consultations, opens public submissions for comment on new laws and policies, and we have a lotterial system for the selection of representatives to provincial legislatures AND a broad spectrum of stakeholders are represented in the Consultative Assembly! "

“These foreigners act as though our government is led solely by the elite”, Thumim declared, “But at least we create opportunities for ordinary people to get involved in a calm and orderly fashion in our political processes at a level of government that most citizens in Democratic nations would not even dream of”.

“Indeed, Sir”, Prince Luwadeen said, “It is disheartening to see how chaotic these foreign nations are, how unstable their governments are, how fickle and mercurial their values and ideals, how brainwashed and misinformed their populations are and how morally decayed their social fabrics are”.

“Exactly!” Thumim proclaimed, “And yet they have the temerity to call us comically evil! They allow people to blaspheme and commit all sorts of heinous acts in the name of freedom! What greater freedom exists than to be comforted in the knowledge that you are going to the Hive? That no matter what you endure in this life, you have abided by the laws of the Hive and that Noi has judged you fit to join the swarm in her Hivemind”.

“Were I given the opportunity to shed this earthly form, in exchange for becoming one with the Noi’s Hivemind, I would do it in a heartbeat”, Prince Luwadeen proclaimed.

“Indeed! People forget that we are trapped in these urthly vessels. Our souls are as good as wondering and lonely ghosts in these fleshly forms. In the time we are shackled to these prisons, we must meditate on the word night and day, and obey the commandments of the Most Beneficent”, Thumim stated.

“Exactly! What use is a government that allows its people to wonder astray when the day of ruin is at hand”, Prince Luwadeen said. “No one wants to perish having lived a life unworthy of assimilation”.

“Indeed! Assimilate! Assimilate! Assimilate!” Thumim proclaimed, “What higher purpose do we have? What great function does the rule of the Bedonite dynasty have”.

“I agree, sir. We must all Assimilate”.

2 Likes

Vana Dandreal had certainly not been looking forward to spending an evening sitting next to the Anti-Akronist-in-Chief of the country she had just seceded from, but from the very moment she had first laid eyes on Zaram Nuvo Šolosar, she had immediately been overcome with an emotion she never would have expected:

Pity.

The King Emeritus of Tavaris was obviously in a great deal of physical pain. He had a white-knuckle grip on his cane—a cane she had never seen use before—and he hobbled slowly and awkwardly as they made their way to the table. On more than one occasion he simply stopped walking, silently gritting his teeth until he could make his way forward again. It was as if he had aged ten years since she had last seen him less than one year prior. This was a man who was once renowned as one of the best wrestlers in the country. For him to agree to be seen in public with such a symbol of weakness and infirmity as a cane surely required a great deal of convincing, or a great deal of pain. Probably both.

When she had agreed to take this trip, she had done it for one reason and one reason only: to be seen by the Akronists of Packilvania as being supportive of their Sultan. Packilvania had more Akronists than any other country on Urth, and she was painfully aware of the massive rift between Akronists in Packilvania and Akronists elsewhere, a rift that was only growing wider. While the People’s Communion of Acronis was not constitutionally a socialist state, she had clearly, fully embraced theo-socialism as the governing policy of the young country. Precisely one seat shy of two thirds of the elected Synod was held by the Acronian Communist Party. And while, of course, Packilvania was a country of rich diversity, the political climate made one thing absolutely certain: Communism was not welcome. And that made following Akronism a significant risk.

In truth, even despite her visit, even despite anything else she could do, Vana knew that the Church of Akrona’s Province of Packilvania would almost certainly break away before the end of her time on Urth. In fact, it was fairly likely it would break away this very year. The fact that not one of the Packilvanian High Priestesses would agree to come with her to the wedding and coronation was plain evidence of that.

Akronism had long been highly restricted in Packilvania, of course, and the fact that this insulated Packilvanian Akronists from changes that took place across Akronism in the rest of the world was probably a feature, not a bug, of the Sultans’ designs. It had always been something of a miracle that there were so many Akronists in Packilvania at all, at least under the current regime. Efforts to spread the faith through conversion were strictly, strictly forbidden, the activities of Crystal Hoteliers International were quite restricted, and Akronism was essentially allowed only in one province. But it was true that the Sultans had permitted Akronism to remain, and the community was growing, thanks to births among the Akronist community, and the Church had always been appreciative of such.

In a perfect world, some time over the course of the festivities, Vana could speak with the Sultan and hash out some sort of understanding about the future of Akronism in his country, but she didn’t expect to be considered important enough to do so. Failing that, she hoped that being seen here, dressed in the Packilvanian manner, celebrating and paying respect to the Sultan as Packilvanians did, that she would be able to convince the Packilvanians to accept an offer of their church being granted independence and communion with the Church of Akrona as an administratively separate Akronist Church of Packilvania.

Of course, her still-too-recent excommunication of the Church of Metradan had jeopardized that effort as well. Negotiations with the Metradani had stalled primarily because they were unwilling to submit to Church requests for greater oversight over their finances—they were disinclined to “let Communists control their money” as one High Priestess had put it. And however inaccurate that statement was, if even one single Packilvanian High Priestesses had heard it, which was almost certain, then her offer would surely face equal, if not stronger, opposition here.

All she had wanted was a country where she was certain that Akronists could feel at home, could feel was theirs, could provide them safety and the uncompromisable right to worship according to their faith. And she had gotten it—at a price far, far steeper than she had wanted to pay. She haid paid not only with blood, not only with terror, but, it seemed, with the souls of Akronists in all the other countries that weren’t the one she had just created. She had gained Acronis and lost Metradan, and she was losing Packilvania.

It was her fault. It was the price that she, personally, had to pay for the sins she had committed. And despite how futile it was, despite how frustrating and humiliating it would be, part of the price she had to pay was putting her neck out on the line to try and salvage the Church she had shattered. “YOURS IS THE BURDEN,” The Goddess had spoken to her in that terrible, wonderful dream in the midst of the secession crisis. “YOURS IS THE MANDATE. YOURS IS THE BLAME.”

“THE REST OF YOUR LIFE MUST BE FOR MY CHILDREN,” The Benefactress had said. And so it would be. Even if it meant being next to a dying orc in a purple turban for two days. That, surely, was the least of the prices she had to pay.

A waiter sat a glass of rose next to her hand and the Matron wasted no time taking a deep drink. The King had ordered a Ranat on the Rocks, which she had to admit was a favorite of hers as well when the times called for straight liquor. In fact, they probably did.

“How is the rum?” The Matron asked idly.

The King Emeritus swirled it in his class and sniffed it as if it were a fine wine. “Not Tavari,” he said finally, but he took a sip anyway. “Hm. Tastes like the… stuff the Akuanists make.”

Vana let out a single, loud, sardonic chuckle. “That bad?”

Zaram arched an eyebrow and looked at the Matron for a moment. “I didn’t take you for a connoisseur of rum,” he said quietly.

“You know, I was born and raised in Tavaris just the same as you were, Your Majesty,” said the Matron. “Akronists like to drink just as much as traditio- as Avatidari do.”

The King Emeritus did not speak again for a few moments, and Vana had to restrain herself from making a face that betrayed the pity in her heart. That would only make him more unpleasant. But he appeared thoughtful, not pained, and it took a moment for Vana to realize that he might actually simply be impressed that she had called him ‘Your Majesty’ and used the proper term for a follower of the Tavat Avati, the Tavari word Avatidar.

“You know, Your Majesty, I do want to say… I appreciated and respected a great deal your decision to step down. I think it was the right thing to do, and most importantly, you owned up to it when you said that your actions had caused you to lose the right to serve as the symbol of the Tavari people. And I want to say that… I never expected, I certainly never asked, for you to be banished as it seems you have been.” Vana picked her words carefully as she spoke, but she meant every single one of them. As the head of state, she could no longer act with such disdain as she had. 45% of her people were Avatidari, and she depended on their support as well as the support of the other countries in the Tavari Union for Acronis to continue to exist. Acronis was far too fragile to support internal conflict or external sanctions. She owed the Avatidari, at the very least, genuine outreach. And she could begin in the here and now.

“Thank you,” was all the King Emeritus seemed to be able to manage.

“Did you know, Your Majesty-”

“Highness,” said Zaram. “You should say Highness.” He paused. “I’m not… you know.”

“May I call you Zaram?”

That seemed to take the King Emeritus by surprise, but at the very least the surprise seemed to force away his pain for a moment. His face almost came close to what on another person’s face might be called “lighting up.”

“I suppose,” he said.

Vana offered a smile. “Did you know that I wrote a letter to you once? I only ever got a pre-written form letter in response, I was just a lowly priestess at that time, so I wouldn’t blame you if you never even saw it. But it was after your wife had passed. I, and really quite a large number of Akronists, were all very impressed with your completion of the 144-day rite of purification, and I had wanted to tell you how… touching it was, really, to see you do such a thing in honor of your wife. And I talked a bit about how Akronism has retained that ritual, so it’s something that we share.”

The Rite of Purification was considered by most Akronists to be among the most difficult rituals in the faith. For Akronists, it was only ever used in the most extreme cases where a devout Akronist had, for some reason, caused another living person to die. It was most often performed by Akronist members of the Armed Forces, or by Akronists convicted of murder. In the Akronist tradition, it entailed leaving one’s home for 144 consecutive days, not speaking to anyone except strangers, clergy, or Akrona, and reflecting on the loss they had inflicted upon the family of the victim and the world at large. Often, except in the most extreme cases, those performing the ritual were granted absolution by 72 days or even earlier after demonstrating a concerted effort to complete it.

But the Avatidari tradition was much more extreme, and in fact, then-Prince Zaram was the only person known to have completed it in the 20th century. Zaram had spoken to no one—not a single word—and had remained secluded for the entire 144-day period. The Tavat Avati called for a 144-day period of seclusion only in “circumstances most grave and dire,” which it did not define. No monarch or prince before Zaram had ever seen fit to perform the ritual, and Zaram had never explained his reasoning for doing so. It was presumed, however, that he had done so out of some belief that his wife’s death in childbirth was his fault, perhaps for not being devout enough. When Vana had first heard that the Prince had decided to undertake the ritual, she had cried. Most of Tavaris had, in fact. Tavaris had lost many princesses and many queens before their time, but never had it seen a heart as broken as Crown Prince Zaram’s, and the hearts of the entire country had broken with his.

“No,” said the King Emeritus, his face lingering on that expression that was almost happy. “I didn’t know that. Either of those. I didn’t know you retained any Tavat Avati rituals.”

Vana nodded with a smile. “Yes, we do. Akronist soldiers perform the rite when they have to kill in combat, though we allow them to speak to priestesses and usually grant a reprieve at 72 days. And now, with the recent revelations from the Danvreas, we can be relatively certain that the Tavari tradition dates to the time when we were Danvreans, themselves exiled for reasons of purity. Akronists carry with them this tradition that the very first Tavari carried down the mountains and across the Sunrise Sea.” She paused. “In the end, it was quite easy for Acronis to join the Tavari Union. Akronists have always been Tavari.”

“I… I didn’t think… I thought you couldn’t… I never…” Zaram had to stop himself to find the right words, and when he spoke again there was just the slightest sparkling in his eyes. Whether it was pain or something else, Vana couldn’t tell. “I thought saying things like that was… frowned upon, among… some Akronists,” he finally said.

But Vana only laughed. “Well it certainly is, but they’re wrong. Akronism is a Tavari religion. Akrona has wept for the Tavari and she will continue to weep for them.” The angry, Urth-trembling words of that outraged, wounded Goddess echoed in the back of Vana’s mind as she spoke. “Akrona was with the Tavari at the very first. She told me so herself, she called us the family she had raised for a thousand generations. It is true that Akronism must be Acronian, but it is also true that Akronism is and must be Tavari as well. There are many beliefs held by Akronists that need to change. Soon, you will see what I mean.” The words that Akrona had spoken to Vana would soon become Edicts that would change the Akronist faith, very soon, and somehow, despite it all, the Matron found herself hoping that they would please this man who had insulted her so.

Zaram stared into her eyes, his eyebrows furrowed but gradually rising. “You are… not at all what I expected you to be, Matron.” He paused. “Vana?”

The Matron grinned. For all his faults, and there were so many of them, Zaram was the first person in years to ask to call her by her name, not her title. She missed it, and it warmed her heart quite like a glass of wine to hear him say it. “To Zaram and Vana,” she said, raising her glass toward the former King.

“To Vana and Zaram,” he replied as he clinked his glass with hers. His eyes had come alive and the smile on his face matched hers. His smile was unmistakable, and in the span of a single moment, ten or twenty years melted from his face.

Perhaps all he had ever needed was to understand Akronists. Perhaps all he had ever really been was a heartbroken widower, a heartbroken father. Perhaps even the most traditional traditionalists could find peace in their hearts toward the most Akronist Akronists, if only they allowed themselves to see themselves in one another.

Perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad after all.

2 Likes

Aysht, no more,” the Speaker waved off a bottle, “There are easier ways to poison me!”

“I do not doubt it,” Gazny Chīrén grinned.

“Ah, enough!” Zamira exclaimed, “Come, Tuyu, I think I’ve seen something to your liking.”

Saga rubbed her face as the Governor and the Speaker receded back into the crowd. It had been a long day, and only here, surrounded by her own, had a well-practiced facade of inexhaustibility begun to drop. “Tuyu?” she asked bemusedly. Torbiashi Tuyuideger was an amiable man, even a friend at times. But not one to be spoken to so casually.

Her grandfather dismissed the remark, “Don’t ask stupid questions,” he grunted, “I know I’ve learned better.” Chīrén reached for the bottle again, “Particularly when it relates to my grandchildren.”

Tshk, leave it,” the Sultana swiped the wine away, “You worry Zamira enough as it is.”

“And you don’t?” Chīrén laughed, “You should have heard her last summer.”

“I heard plenty,” Saga grimaced. She had said her apologies already for the secrets she had kept, but she expected she would be repeating them for a long time to come. No family enjoyed being left in the dark by one of their own, and at times Saga felt that those of Älemsi could rival most secret police agencies in their willingness to pry.

“Hearing without listening is nothing to boast about,” her grandfather quipped. Old eyes scanned the gathering, the revelries already fading as the hours drew on and the sun dimmed.

“Good feelings never last,” he finally mused, “And behind all this is… Well. There is no place more dangerous than a palace.” When Chīrén turned back to Saga, it was with a serious expression, “And you are the outsider here. Like a stranded mask-fish - Don’t argue with me Turi, we both know this to be true. Someone always leaves home. But I will say what I once said to your mother.” A bony hand gripped the Sultana’s arm.

“Come good or ill, you’re one of us. Colors be damned. So yes, Zamira will worry for you, and the rest as well. And they’ll do more than that, if you should need it. Do the same for them, will you? I will die happier, knowing that you are all worrying for each other in my stead.”

A heavy silence fell over the emptied table, one which Saga finally broke. “And you tell me to not ask stupid questions,” she muttered, “Do you really think I would ever do anything less? Enough of this talk of death.”

“Do not balk at it, Turi,” the old Governor growled, “I expect better. My clock reaches midnight. The others do not wish to hear of it, but you and I, we have always been honest with each other.”

From the corner of her eye Saga could spot Zamira and the Speaker examining a chocolate fountain with great interest. That limping Serramali drinking with the Astelan woman. The Cryrian Queen in a painfully polite conversation with one of the Aikkians. But they were all dispersing now, even the little clusters of green and gold.

“I have no regrets,” Chīrén went on, as though it were any other conversation they might have had, “In another time I might not have thought well of you settling out here. But there is some comfort in knowing that one has reached their final hours. I can be happy, to see that you all are happy. It is good enough for me.”

With the silence came a cold hand of the coming grief to clench around her heart, but the Sultana smiled through it, and poured the old man his glass.

“Good feelings never last,” Saga repeated, “So we must chase them as they come.”

“And hold them as we can.”

1 Like

Joint post with Stander (Mirhaime)

  Azniv, having recently returned from making friendship bracelets with the reigning Emira of Sayyed, is wandering about the halls, looking for more connections to make. Unnoticed by many partygoers, she sees Alane from across the room and begins walking towards her. Azniv knows that Alane is the Lewydh, the leader of Aldaar’s (at the moment) greatest enemy. Azniv knows that there is no way on Urth that she should, in this moment, go up and talk to Alane, but then again, it isn’t like her presence here is technically approved anyways. And she, of anyone else in Aldaar, knows what Mirhaimian bureaucracy can be like; after all, she worked for WEGEC for two years. Alane could be evil. But… she might also be Aldaar’s greatest ally in their struggle. Hey, who knows? Without anyone noticing, Azniv quickly and quietly walks up behind Alane, essentially appearing from behind her, waiting for her to turn around.

  Alane was enjoying the party, standing by her own corner, with her hands holding a glass of beverages so kindly provided to her by her host. Occasionally taking small sips, her eyes scanned the room filled with foreign guests and dignitaries invited to the occasion just like her. She had no formal plans other than the meeting of the hosts and the occasional chats with foreign dignitaries; it was perhaps, for the better that she didn’t for even a handful of months into her service, the duties and responsibilities that come with being the one on the Marghal Throne were soon mounting in her. Packilvania has been a good change of scenery and a good change in perspective as she tried to study more and more about the country and see how she could put what she learned to work in her own homeland in the far West. She did not expect anyone to approach her, and so, as vigilant and keen-eyed as she was, she still missed Azniv’s presence as she snuck up behind her.

  Turning her head around, she was quite surprised by Azniv’s appearance as her eyes widened to look at the woman before her. This face she recognized. As much as she tried to hide it, her Kervarmohedh had already briefed her on who Azniv Haviiz was, intel graciously provided by the Aldaari Surveys. “Dissident terrorist,” She remembered those words vividly, “Radical extremist and threat to national security,”

  Still undeterred by those lively words, Alane held slightly firmer the cup in her hand as she crossed her hand. “Greetings,” She said to Azniv. “How may I be of assistance to you today?”

  “Well, Madam Lewydh, I believe we may be of assistance to each other. I expect I know what you’ve been told about me - that I’m a ‘radical extremist’ or a ‘dissident terrorist.’ But that isn’t true. Well,” she says, slightly cocking her head, “not entirely true, anyways. Oh, by the way, you should really patch that backdoor I made in your software. Like, come on, it’s been literally months. Where was I?” Azniv pauses a second to scratch her head. “Oh, right. We can help you achieve what you need, and I assume you already know what we need.”

  “Pardon me?” Alane asked, whatever point Azniv was trying to make well beyond her. One thing that she could tell for sure was that this woman didn’t quite fit the part of a terrorist. Alane was informed of the software crash when all computers in WEGEC service essentially crashed by an interconnected OS but that was all that she knew about the current situation along with the status of the war in the Dominion.

  “Yes, my bad. I suppose I should start at the beginning. Hopefully, you know that WEGEC has been oppressing the Aldaari people from the very beginning. Very unconstitutional, and conveniently for you, orchestrated by your political enemies. If you want more specifics, I prepared a dossier. Well, I actually had an aide prepare it, but that’s besides the point. Any questions so far?”

  “Those are some considerably serious accusations, miss.” She spoke, taking a sip of her drink as she looked at her, contemplating what to do next. “Ones that perhaps should not be spoken aloud in a place like this.”

  “Oh, no one’s listening. Especially not someone who, if they even care, doesn’t already know what’s happening. Hard to believe, but the relationship between Mirhaime and some small desert country doesn’t interest anyone here besides you, me, and probably He -” There’s a brief pause before Azniv rephrases. “Emira Scheherazade, but trust me; she already knows. Plus, believe me, it’s significantly less suspicious if we’re simply making polite conversation in a public area.”

  “The Kervarmohedh could be more resourceful than you might think,” Alane said, taking another sip of her now half-empty drink. “And why are you approaching me regarding this?” Alane inquired, wanting to know more on what Azniv’s intentions were. “Approaching your Lewydh in the midst of a formal event with striking accusations seemed to me quite….daring.”

  “Well, these are daring times. And believe me, we can help each other.” Azniv quickly pulls what looks like lipstick from her bag, which Alane quickly realizes is a hidden USB stick. “But hey, even if you don’t believe me, at least take this. It has everything you need on it, both to catch you up on the internal situation in Aldaar… and some ideas you can use back at home.”

  This small exchange indeed frightened Alane, ironically so for she was supposed to be the most powerful woman in her own country but yet, as her hand extended to receive the USB stick from Azniv, she thought of the repercussions and how this could, without careful maneuverings, cascade into something that could put more than just her life on the line.
  “Sincerely hoping this won’t mess with the OS and launch all warheads at Tretrid,” She said nervously, “I shall…put this under consideration.”

  “Don’t worry. We don’t want conflict. We just want our people to be safe and free - freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear. All that jazz. And while I can’t make you choose the right thing, I have faith in you.” Azniv begins walking away, but she briefly turns back for one parting line. “Oh, and by the way - you may be Lewydh, but you aren’t my Lewydh.” And with that, she disappears into a small crowd.

  “But yet I shall defend your liberty all the same,” Alane said with a whisper, her eyes switching between Azniv departing and the USB stick that she gave her. It was a peculiar encounter, though one that makes her more frightened than even in live combat. She was terrified at the prospect of the entire history of her nation and the integrity of the Commonwealth resting solely in her hands but alas, she must persevere. Soon, she temporarily retreated from the occasion as she summoned one of her trusted advisors to a more…private corner where she was to have a clearer look into the materials she was provided with. However uncomfortable or distressing they may be.

2 Likes

(Joint post with Styx)
(CW: Dirty jokes)
Hera and Esfan have been talking. Due to several reasons, Esfan was unable to go to the wedding ceremony but finally, to Hera’s pleasure, he was able to come to the banquet.

Esfan, being the son of middle class parents, was not used to this kind of life or this boorish talk. All about politics and alliances. Do leaders talk about anything else? It was Hera who gave him company through this luxurious scene.

Out of nowhere, they notice Azniv, who is currently holding a cup of some drink and walking around, chatting with other foreign delegations. They hadn’t really seen her before; in fact, she sort of seems to pop into their perspective, like she was the one to make an intentional choice to be noticed. Casually, her rounds of introductions make their way to the table where Hera and Esfan have been chatting. She puts on a sly smile and goes up to them, speaking in flawless Atasiyaqidu.

“Hello, your excellency, and this must be your charming partner? I’ve heard much about you two.”

“Ah, yes it is. You must be Azniv, correct? It’s a pleasure to meet a representative of a fellow Gondwanan desert nation.”

“Well, technically, I’m not from there originally, even though my family is. But Aldaar is a nation of movement anyways, who better to represent us than someone who has embodied that motion?”

“Very well said!” Hera clapped softly. “How has the banquet been for you, Azniv?” She asked, giving Esfan a nod of reassurance.

“Well, I would’ve preferred a bit more ABV, but you know how it is in places like this. Still fun, though, and good to meet people and get some international standing. How about the two of you?” she asks, looking back and forth between the two.

“It’s been fun getting to mingle with a lot of of important people,” Hera giggled. She was about to say something before Esfan spoke, “It’s rather…new to me, to be honest. I’m not used to this life.”

“You’re telling me,” Azniv says with a smirk. “I lived in some random oasis town in the middle of nowhere for seventeen years. Now I’m a multimillionaire. It’s all quite an adjustment, to say the least.”

“I’d like to say it’s more sudden for me, because I was thrusted into this life thanks to Hera,” he laughed.

“Fair. At least I knew what I was getting into by founding my business, although to be honest I didn’t think it would reach the international success it has. But then the beginning of the revolution, and me becoming a politician and diplomat… it’s all sort of a haze, to be honest. Can’t really believe it’s my own life, if you know what I mean.” She takes a large sip of her drink.

“I have to agree. There’s a lot of things I don’t know but yet I have to do. It’s stressful, but it’s worth it if it means being with the woman I love,” he smiled at Azniv before looking into Hera’s eyes.

“It’s so nice that you two’ve found each other. Seems like I’m still destined to be alone for a while… but at this point, who knows what the future holds? Maybe I’ll settle down with the person of my dreams… or maybe I’ll die in two months.” Azniv laughs, but it doesn’t feel very comfortable to anyone who hears it. “But hey, if that’s how it is, that’s how it is. Of course, where I’m from, we don’t go down without a fight.”

“I admire the resilience of the Aldaari, to be honest,” Hera mused. “We Sayqidi are strong, but the Aldaari are stronger.”

“Well, naturally. I mean, have you seen the weather report?” Azniv says with a smile. “It’s like 44 degrees right now. With weather like this, who needs enemies? Then again, we were the ones who ended up getting colonized.”

“Skill i-” Esfan was cut off by Hera hitting his arm and glaring at him. “I mean, well, the fact you guys are able to survive it, it’s a feat of itself.”

Azniv, who had been giggling at Esfan saying ‘skill issue’ at an event like this, quickly responded. “Yeah, I mean, our people have survived a lot. Back in the day, if you wanted to get somewhere, you had to walk several days across the blazing hot desert. Honestly, most people had more pressing concerns. Maybe they should’ve noticed Golden Oil slowly creeping in to their day to day lives, but they didn’t want to.” Azniv sighed deeply. “Honestly, they may not have broken all of us, but I think it will take a while to get my people back to the way things were. The idea that any person can enact change, and that small changes can have large impacts… those things are mostly gone now. Luckily, there are some of us that still remember the old ways, fighting for the hearts and minds quite literally.”

Hera and Esfan could only nod after hearing this. Hera looked down in silence as she tried to collect her thoughts well enough to say something. Before looking up with a smile, “Whatever happens, we will always be brothers and sisters,” she extended her hand out for a handshake.

Azniv reached out and shook the young Emira’s hand, before saying something in a language Hera didn’t understand. “Al-ajad yin kyaatay kamii, ‘int njar yin kyaatay kyuu. And we will stand together.”

Hera nodded and smiled. “We will. Ile tanrii elaa zim jaanib.” (With God on our side)

Azniv finishes her drink and sets it down. “So, what does royalty do for fun?”
Hera looked at Esfan with a smirk before turning to Azniv, “Would you like to find out~?”

“Of course. I’m always interested in learning more about how they operate in other countries.”

Hera let out a laugh before replying, “You know how Esfan was thrusted into royalty? You know how he can thrust in different places too~”

Azniv smirks. “I see. Well, I know a way out of here that the guards haven’t covered. What do you say we get out of here and… make some friendship bracelets?” she asks with a wink.

“Ooh~! I’d love that~” She giggled as she awaited Esfan’s verdict.

“That would be wonderful,” he said with a smile. “Lead the way.”

1 Like

The Journey to Adrien Begins
24 January 2023.

As with all good things, it was time for the reception to come to a close. Some guests like Emira Hera and Azniv were engrossed in conversation and ensconced in each other. Thumim and Saga stood up. As they rose, trumpeters held their brass instruments aloft and blew them strong and hard, calling attention to all the guests in the building that the reception was over. Every guest had to make preparation to leave Bingol to go to Adrien in Ashura.

Adrien (known in Packilvanian as Yadrayeen) was the second holiest city in the religion of Paxism because it was the site of the Temple of the Restoration (the second holiest site in Paxism). Adrien was located over 1,500 kilometres from Bingol in the province of Ashura. Ashura was the Birthplace of the Iktanite dynasty which conquered many surrounding Kingdoms and established the first state or polity to be known as Packilvania.

The Coronation was to be held in this ancient building. Ordinarily, the Temple of the Restoration was a site for pilgrimage but it was used for the coronations of the Bedonite dynasty. This is because Amhoud I, the first Sultan of the Bedonite dynasty, was crowned here by the Magisterium in recognition of his authority. Successive monarchs have thus been crowned in the building, in commemoration of Amhoud I, as well to symbolise the fact that their legitimacy came from Noi and no one else.

Saga of Tynam and Thumim V were left alone to consecrate their marriage. Sultana Mother Mebri was running around ensuring that the arrangements for the coronation were ready. She flew ahead of them, after her speech to ensure that the venue, the Crown Jewels and the Magisters were ready for the occasion. The local government had taken a page from the Bingolian playbook and shut down all roads leading to the Temple to vehicular traffic except for the cavalcade that would ferry the Sultan, the Sultana and their entourage to the place of their crowning.

The city of Bingol had not yet stopped to catch its breath and rest. The city was filled with fireworks, parades and street parties that celebrated the marriage of their Sultan. It was as though New Year’s Day had come again with even greater force and boisterousness.

Despite bones creaking with exhaustion, Thumim and Saga had to make the journey to their coronation. Servants opened curtains picked up clothing and took away used cutlery. A delicate bell from a servant who was too shy too look at them directly gave them a gentle tug out of the wondrium of sleep. Thumim grunted with indignation at the unwelcome reminder that there was more pomp and circumstance and ritual ahead.

He kissed Saga on the cheek as she lay down and said, “After this, I am going to sleep for a week”.

1 Like

(Joint post with Oan!)

Wilan took a sip from a champagne glass as he waited for the new Sultan in one of the private rooms in the palace. Having asked the Sultan for a private meeting when he had the chance to get his attention. The stuff he was going to negotiate was after all stuff he rather not want anyone to listen in too. He didn’t doubt the security of the palace, but one of the few things he had learned from his father was to not be too careful. Especially the stuff he was going to be discussing was not just typical diplomatic pleasantries. The prince put down his glass on a wooden table when he heard the door open.

Sultan Thumim V entered the room and gave Crown Prince Wilan, a firm handshake, and said, “muMamlukmne Vilaan, gaflaki lutaradishme amin. Minedhakram lumijhalis awan. Mishukraan lusabaar adun. Waqfaki luyusman adun. Mislamiya muMakhnifiya muMamluk weluhayiy lubenaan na miwahba lukhron adun weBakhilfaniya lujubeel. yeluShakilefi wamijhlas khametamkamayan?” (Prince Wilan, kindly forgive my tardiness. I completely forgot about our meeting. Thank you for your patience. Please, have a seat. I trust His Majesty, the King, is in good health and that you are enjoying your time in Packilvania. What matter are we convened to discuss?)

The prince took off his hat and held it towards his chest as he gave the Sultan a small bow before straightening up again. “My father is in good health for better or for worse.” He said with a small chuckle as he put on his hat again. “I am enjoying my time here quite well, the music, the drinks and the food, what is there not to love about Packilvania?” He asked, giving a charming smile. His Blåskovian accent was there but he was good at ensuring it wasn’t too strong as he spoke in Staynish. “I was hoping you’d be open to talking about the relations between our two nations? Nothing concrete but more on how I think we can establish a certain understanding between the two.”

Thumim replied, “Yadhaabeki, muMamlukmne.” (“Go ahead.”)

“With the Matriarch of Nystatiszna establishing her nation’s ties with Federation through joining RCEU and them becoming a part of the Heilen Plan.” Prince said calmly but still in a friendly way. “It likely would not take long until any last cooperation between Packilvania and Nystatiszna will soon go away. As such, I am suggesting a partnership. A way to keep Packilvania firmly involved in East Borean affairs.”

Thumim paused before replying and gave a knowing smile, “Bakhilfaniya nelumawda ledomin leakhar khalulahda weledomin leakhar. muDonahlea aNashtahan muhuriya khaludonha ludomin adhun yelupraman dhuhaqla lubenaan wemeshabil adhun. luLaheed luidaween ledomin awan neluqaydam letahad aNashtahan. Tamkaki min, muMamlukmne, duqataranefi?” (Packilvania does not impede other nations from forming relationships with other nations. The Matriarch of Nystatiszna is free to rule her nation in a way that she thinks is best for her people. The relationship between our nations will not be impacted by the choices of Nystatiszna. Tell me, Prince, what do you propose?"

“I do not think you fully know the Matriarch. I’ve met her a few times before in my life. Ingrid’s mind is more guided by idealism rather than pragmatism. So I advise you not to put too much of your eggs in that basket.” Wilan said with a small chuckle remembering spending time with her when he was dating Jørgen. “My proposal is simple, establishing economic, political and certain security ties with my nation. I think that is a way to show off to the Norgsveltians isn’t it? The immediate moment Blåskog got kicked out of the NCEF, your nation swept in. One which has quite a crucial position in East Borea.”

Thumim replied, “Mikhazna lunasih adun weluhaqal amin. Siljubla khalubidaytan lelaheed lebenaan luaye ludomin adun. Bakhilfaniya lumanda olusakhlatoon alelaheedzayeen lunomnam luKharif luSoliy aluTawafira luMayan weleSookdomin aluBazrakisook. Akhausa Zaraar luRayunt welujahdafiya luZaraar luRayunt luKeraat, Bakhilfaniya lukhaznam lubawba weluKharif luHaganishme asilne. Khawayar, wajubla khalubawba lushugulmayan weluhiraam”. (“I will keep your advice in mind. We are happy to establish positive relations with your country. Packilvania already possessed a framework for diplomatic relations known as the Preferential Market Access Program. Because Blåskog invaded Syrtaezna, we will reserve access to our military assistance program. However, we are happy to give you access to cooperating with us on criminal matters”).

The elven prince frowned a little bit on that but was quick to replace it with a smile. “We would love to be a part of that program. Though I understand your hesitance on military cooperation, do you think it would be possible to establish a joint mercenary group?” He said, raising an eyebrow at the sultan. “Of course such details can be figured out later by our diplomats, but I think both you and I agree that… having a mercenary group to rely on, can be quite advantageous for both our nations.” He had a small smirk as he added the last part.

“Hmm”, Thumim mused, “No. weluDonhafiya amin, Bakhilfaniya luyadhaabefaral wemehasasin. Durakhbaqar lushugulmayan weluhimayfiyishme, duhade welupraman leyasas” (“Under my Rule, Packilvania is moving away from mercenaries. If you desire cooperation on security matters, you will do it in a normal way.”)

The Prince simply nodded. “Understandable. I am certain there are several matters of security in which we can come to an agreement. How about we can agree to schedule a meeting between our nations on a series of economic and security treaties? Packilvania is a nation that in my opinion, we should have always been partners with.”

Thumim replied, “Minasih mevazeer nadine meiluhid letamkamayan leshakilqasir khawayar muDonahlea muhaqlaqar luyadhaabefar weBakhilfaniya, dhukaniy muhayiy lushugulmayan weluhimayfiyishme na muxitarifiya lusih aleHagan asilne weNashtahan. Silkaniy merakhba lusih lujadid.” (“I suggest our ministers and diplomats discuss the details however if the Matriarch is thinking of moving away from Packilvania, she may end our military cooperation and end our military base in Nystatiszna. We might need a new base”)

“I will discuss it with my father about it all. I think it would be of best interest to have our ministers and diplomats figure out these details. Though I will always be Packilvania’s biggest supporter in our nation.” Wilan took a sip from his champagne glass before he spoke further. “I do not want to take up all your time after all, it is a big day for you, I am certain you have a lot of guests and events to deal with. As such I find it an honor that you took time to have this small conversation.” The Prince once more took off his hat placing it on his chest as he bowed his head slightly. “Your Majesty.”

2 Likes

But there would be no rest for the wicked.

A new day dawned over Bingol, and as the celebration’s manic energy dissipated and the armies of workers and streetsweepers surged out to pick up the pieces, a new procession was forming for another city. The mass of dignitaries and officials which had assembled in the capital now trickled northwards to Adrien - The birthplace of a dynasty. And as they went by air or land, a high-speed train blasted through the Packilvanian countryside.

Saga watched the landscapes of Mekedesh roll by the window. It had been scarcely a week ago that this very same province had all but blockaded the capital, though by now that disquieting news seemed to come from another lifetime. Certainly, the good Prince Elam was now buried nearly as deep as the dead. But the sight of his home served as a reminder of the challenges that lay beyond the Coronation’s veil, as the wedding’s euphoria began to lift and matters of reality returned.

Ah, well, what was the old sailor’s saying?

Draw a cutlass, him that dares.

For all these thoughts, the restlessness which had gripped the Sultana in the leadup to the wedding had evaporated. The long day, late night, and early morning certainly seemed to have left her unfazed as she put on a fitting display of ease and relentless energy. The day had begun swiftly, with little time for the newlyweds to exchange more than a few words before the journey began - Though even that had offered little respite. Here amidst the spacious interior of the reserved train, they might well have never left the palace at all, and the final preparations for the coronated pair were hastened through in between brief conversation with accompanying family and guests.

But as the ride neared its end, Saga had made herself quite at home by one window, where she could at last see the countryside pass by with a cup of tea for company. Here entire townships the size of Tynam could rise and fall away without remark or distinction, while the open expanses between them would have swallowed nations whole.

Idly, she smoothed a crease on her dress - The kind of heavy, dark-blue silken gown that would be familiar to those acquainted with the formal events of Leidenstad. The pastoral vistas were now fading away to be replaced by the outskirts of Adrien. And there was a city drowning in enough history to float a whaling ship!

Soon enough, Saga knew, the train would come to halt at its prepared station, and there one final procession waited to whisk them off to that most ancient of temples. The Sultan’s approach signaled as much, and Saga tore herself away from the view with a faint smile.

“Once, I set out to see the world,” she remarked, “And from time to time, the world sees fit to remind me that I will only ever see fleeting pinpricks.”

The train was slowing to a stop now. Saga supposed she should feel some apprehension, or perhaps instead impatience. The same looming unknown which had gripped her in Charlottesborg and on countless nights since then. The interminable sense of waiting, for events to seize her and grind on like clockworks, or for the world to fall apart. But there was none of that now, merely the cold certainty that here, a future would be born, one to guide and one to mold. To find new joys in.

Doors hissed open, and the cavalcade awaited. Saga’s smile split into a grin, and she offered the Sultan a hand as they prepared to step out.

One last threshold to cross.

2 Likes

Train rides always were soothing for the Arch-Princess of Musetszna, going forward in a single direction with a predetermined destination. No unexpected turns or twists, just an organized route to follow. Calm sound of the train rolling the tracks, sounding like the waves washing ashore bring back memories of Ny’Hjøran and her older sisters playing on the beach building sand castles.

Life was simple, calm and organized back then. Where the most important questions of the day were what one was doing after studies rather than the more difficult questions of the modern day. ‘What are the Akuanists and what is our role in the modern world?’ Akuanism is an old religion, an ancient faith that had existed before the written language and before the invention of agriculture by some historian accounts.

What is Akuanism? For your average person Akuanism can be confused for a ethnic group or a culture. To others it is a religion that happens to heavily influence one’s culture. It is a faith that does not seek out to expand, yet you be hardpress to be in a country’s capital without an Akuan district. There are even people, who claim to be culturally Akuanist but not practicing the faith. To the misinformed, Akuanists are just Eastern Boreans who expanded across the world or simply a bunch of drunkards needing an excuse to drink.

Akuanism never attempts to bring people into the fold of its faith like the Akronists or Ulvriktruars. It has no weekly or monthly service to attend. Some confuse Brewmasters as priests, ignoring their more important roles as community leaders and as maintainers of the shrines they hold so dear. They look at Akuan democracy, and see brewmasters in government. Pointing at them like it is proof that it is a polite theocracy. Ignoring the fact, that community is larger than a religious group. A community is for everyone, not just for Akuanists. Are we not all children of hers? Should we not be supposed to welcome all with open arms and care for them like they are own flesh and blood? Are not our Akuan festivals cherished all within the community, not just those who are Akuanist?

Even then, a religion that has no scripture that is shared across the all lands that Akuanists inhabit. As many things Akuanists have in common, they have differences. Down to the very meaning of ‘non-violence.’ Does it just apply to sapients or does it include animals? If it includes animals, then what animals are included? How is it determined? Every region’s Akuanists inhabit a disagreement and separate view on the matter. What about defending oneself? In Musetszna, defending yourself is acceptable but what save for those living within the Norgsveldet realms, such as in Vakrestrender? What about those who died in the Akuan Atrocities, refusing to fight back against those who wanted to do nothing more than stomp them out and crush their spirit? Was it not right to stay committed to their view of non-violence? They believed so certainly in their view of Akuanism, they were willing to be slaughtered en masse and forced into camps all in the name of Akuanism.

Questions only bring out more questions, a new Akuanist is ever created when one is born into an Akuanist family or one is curious enough to join the faith. Joining the faith requires learning a Nys’tat’en in order to listen, read or watch the stories and myths within the context of the religion. To read the stories that have been passed down for centuries if not thousands of years in anything other than the language is perhaps one of the few things Akuanists all agree to is heresy or at least the closest thing Akuanists consider to be heresy.

Even then Nys’tat’en has changed so much from it’s old times. The Arch-Princess can speak perfect Nys’tat’en it being her native tongue but lifetimes has passed since Akuanists came to inhabit Musetszna, it has changed as much as it has stayed the same. The influences of the Packilvanian language showed clearly in her pronunciation and words. In theory she could speak to an Akuanist from Borea or Novaris but in practice, it is verbal confusion. She could understand the basics of what was said after a few attempts but the nuances are gone, the details are missing and the nature of the speech can be easily misinterpreted. The written words however, can still carry through, albeit with misunderstanding with the differences of borrowed words. Can it even be called the same language or is it more like a language family? If that is even the correct term for it.

Akuanism and Nys’tat’en are so divided on so many issues, customs and cultures but yet held together as a single faith. In a world where disagreements in doctrine can lead to breaking apart and religious schisms such as with those who march under Odin’s faith. How about Paxism? With all of its own schisms and branches mirroring Ulvriktru. Yet Akuanism has never officially fragmented, regardless of how deep they are different, Akuanist is still a Akuanist. Perhaps it is because Akuanism has no real religious leader, save the Enshrined Spirits but those don’t truly lead the faith. Even then there are disagreements about what an Enshrined Spirit role is in the faith. Are they leaders of nations guided by the spirit or are they on a journey to understand what is a spirit and should be considered as advisers of leaders? Perhaps it is what saved Akuanism from breaking apart like so many other faiths.

Ny’Hjøran gave a yelp as the train briefly bounced up, breaking her concentration on her own little scholarly debate in her head. Her husband, prince Ulahid a-Luwadeen Bedon gave her a comforting hug, bringing her close to him. “Everything alright cheesecake?” The feline spoke, in a calming tone. Slowly stroking her hair in a loving manner.

“Ah, everything is fine, the bump just broke my concentration.” Ny’Hjøran gave a warm smile to her husband.

“Ah, I was wondering why you were staring so intensely at your empty glass. I thought you might have been wanting another and too shy to ask for a refill so I asked an attendant to bring you another.” The feline prince gave a gesture as if on cue then a train attendant arrived to refill the Arch-Princess glass.

The Kemonomimi bowed her head in thanks, as the attendant took their leave after refilling the glass with more wine. The Mustetine took a sip of the wine with a slight look of disgust on her face. “This had to be made in Travais or Acronis, it tastes truly awful.” She shakes her head. “No love or care taken with it.”

The Prince gave a small chuckle, “How do you figure it from the vineyard in Gondwana? Why not from Vestrava?”

“Far too sweet, used too much sugar and more fruity than it should be. Vestriszna vineyards have several degrees more talent than this, less harsh raining seasons. Grapes there have been bred to fit the environment where this jungle water completely lacks the talent of it. Not to ment-” She stops for a moment, lowering her ears “My apologies I’m ranting.”

The feline gave a hearty chuckle at that, “You don’t need to apologize, I love hearing you speak.” He gave a comforting hug, “Where did you learn about alcohol so much? Was there a class in your studies for it?”

She gave a laugh, “No, no. I’m just an Akuanist. We just have a natural gift for alcoholism.” She joked, nudging at her husband.

The prince smiled at her wife, calming down, “Ah, the spirits simply divinely infused all Akuanists with the sacred knowledge of liquor.”

“We made a trade with them, they give us the knowledge of liquor and in return we secretly plot against everyone’s sobriety.” She smiled, relaxing her head on the prince’s chest.

“Ah, a worthwhile trade then. Though I suppose that leads to a new question.” The prince gave a smirk, “What did you have to trade to be so adorable?”

“Oh, I had to steal the heart of this handsome prince.” She smirked back, looking up at her doting husband.

“Well, I suppose you still are in debt then but at last we have this prince to make do.” Ulahid played with his wife’s hair.

“Tommy, what have I told you about those jokes.” She gave a pout.

“My apologies, I just simply adore when you pout darling. It is my inner Bedon in me, secretly planning on making everyone in the world upset.” He gave a warm chuckle, taking a sip of his wife’s wine.

“You were correct, this wine is truly awful.” He placed the glass back on the table, shaking his head.

“Told you so.” The kemonomimi gave a smirk, sitting up right on her chair now so she was no longer leaning on her husband’s shoulder. “I think I need to move around a little. I have been sitting for so long, I might end up losing the use of my legs. Care to join me, my prince?”

The prince stood up, offering his hand to help up the far shorter Arch-Princess. “If you cannot walk, I can always carry you around.” He smiled, “Of course I walk with you, though I fear the train might be a bit small for a long walk unless you wish to draw concerned looks as we pace between one end and the other.”

“Just a small one, perhaps to the dinner car. Besides, when have we ever been concerned about getting weird stares from people?” The kemonomimi took up on his offer, taking a hold of his hand as she lifted herself up from her seat.

It was comical, a Kemonomimi, a Nezumimi to be specific and a feline walking together. If one was in one the more conservative and rural parts of the world. It would seem a large cat walking on two legs and a human with the animal characteristics of a mouse are not only walking together but married. If they had a Lupine with them, they could start a comedy-trio act appealing to the lowest common denominator.

However, they paid it no mind regardless of the minor jokes and jabs made at their expense. As they are together, then what are a few tasteless jokes in comparison. Hand in hand, they walk through the various train sections towards the dinner cabin.

“So, cheesecake besides the wine, what was on your mind back then?” Ulahid opened the door and held it so her wife could go through the door.

“It is not important, Tommy. Just something has been on my mind.” Well it is important, but only to Akuanists really, most people would probably find it boring.

“What you have to say is always important to me.” Prince reassured his wife.

She gave a small chuckle, “That’s incredibly cheesy and cliche.”

“Yes and?” The prince gave a smirk.

“It just, when I look at Paxism or Ulvriktru. It seems so, organized and put together. Then I look at my faith, and those others who are part of it in different parts of the world or even in a different city in Musetszna. Then there is the identity, we act like a culture or ethnic group but called a religion by most. Yet we don’t act like other religions, we invite other religions to our festivals to host their own stalls in. We don’t even ask them to attend rituals with us or join our faith. We treat other religions like they are kin even when they wish nothing more than us to stop existing and become like them.” She scratched the back of her head with her free hand. “Just things like that.”

The prince was slight for a few moments, he just thought she was worried about the wedding or family drama. He kept silent, not knowing if he should speak or even if it was his place to speak.

“Sorry, that was a lot. It is just that I am in charge of one of the three banks that make up the Akuan Development Fund and the third most important Akuan family in the world. It just feels like everything is burying me down on me anytime I look at the big picture.” She gives a sigh, as her husband pulls out a chair at a table. Finally arriving at the dinner car.

“It feels as if we cannot agree to anything.” She sits down, resting her head in her hands. “Even at the Akuan Development Fund, disagreements are everywhere on theological ground. You know the last time the three heads of the most influential Akuan families met? At the Bjørn funeral five years ago. Sure we all met each other after it but never all together and rarely was it ever about Akuanism, always business. This Akuan Conference coming up is the first time in decades we all met for Akuan history and theology. It is the first time so many important scholars and figures in our faith have come together. It just feels hopeless, so hopeless.”

The prince took his seat at the table. Royalty and family drama is one thing, it is even manageable but was out of his depth. He never really thought about Akuanism truly outside of the surface level and what he needed to know for the marriage. Always looked at skin deep, taking part in the rituals but not really understanding the depth of them. When he was younger, he always thought it was an exaggeration about how socially connected Akuanist are, how friendly they are, the complete disregard for personal space and all the strange quirks they have.

When he was a teenager, he once watched a documentary about Akuan prison in Norgsveldet. Something he just now remembers about during all of this existential crisis his wife was having. He thought it was a comedy at first, a mockumentary poking fun at the strange little kemonomimi people he sometimes saw around working in the palace.

The title card always stuck with him, even after all this time, ‘What you are about to watch is a documentary about Ragnirt Prison in Osfjord. A prison which was made specifically to accommodate Akuanists. It was founded in 1932, as a way to deal with the mass suicides of Akuanists within the Norgsveltian prison system. It was the first Norgsveltian prison that successfully able to ensure that an Akuanist could go through system without commiting suicide. Every single one before this had at least an attempt. We know that this prison might seem strange for prisons you have heard about before, but please take this documentary seriously. This was made specifically by the Norgsveltian government and Crown to accommodate for these Akuanists a truly serious part of their life.’

It was dubbed in Packilvanian at least as opposed to most translations being only subtitles. The prison seemed to be more of a strict apartment building rather than a true prison like they have in his homeland. However, it seemed as if the Akuanist arrested in it seemed to be genuinely scared for some unknown reason, at the time he just thought the guards would beat the prisoners like they do here. After spending so much time in Musetszna, he started to understand more. They weren’t scared of the guards, they were terrified of being alone. When he saw the doors with windows that could become opaque or some of the older cells having doors with sliding plates so the guard could always see inside. Well at first he assumed it was for the guards, but with his new found experience. It was for them, the prisoners themselves, to be able to look at the guards. To remind themselves they are not alone.

At the time, he thought they did pose for the film to stand at the doors to follow the guards with their eyes as some sort of eccentric humor only known by Norgveltians. It completely was bought into it being a joke or comedy when the crew examined one of the newer cells. The prison cell looked like a quite decent apartment as opposed to a place of punishment. Then that silly speaker built into the walls playing non-stop background talking sold him that it was a bit. Akuanists do love talking and being social butterflies, so surely the speaker was just poking fun at it. Even more so when each cell came with a collection of small dolls placed around the sound where the speaker was, as if to have a mock conversion where the prisoner cannot ever truly respond to the discussion. Akuanists are sociable, yes but this is just taking the cake.

In reality, as he now knows of it. It wasn’t a comedy film with a strange sense of humor. Akuanists are horrified by the concept of being alone. They never were taught how, they teach being alone a bad, horrific thing. Here he was, with his wife going through a existential crisis alone because doesn’t know how to make it all better. He’s not an Akuanist, he can understand Nys’tat’en but not the depth of the words of it. He desperately wants to make his love feel better, but how can he? It is not his place, it is not his religion but it is his wife. Should that not count for something?

He reaches over to his wife, giving her a tight hug. “Would some hot cocoa make you feel better?” He felt so stupid even saying those words, as if some chocolate drink could bring someone outside of such a state of dread. He just felt so hopeless about it and just spoke the first thing that came to his mind. He gave a sigh, “I’m sorry. I just don’t know what to say. I don’t even know if it is my place to say anything honestly, I just want to make you feel better.”

The arch-princess gave a weak smile, “I think hot coco will be a good start.” She could help by feeling horrible, going through all of this at a wedding. A time that is supposed to be full of joy and happy memories. Well at least for commoners, leaders of nations come to plot and make deals. The Kemonomimi original plan was to talk to the Queen of the Aikkian but she felt unapproachable, never a good time to talk to her. She gave a sigh, scratching the top of her head.

She hoped to discuss the Akuan Conference as well as a few other things such as the development bank, perhaps even create a some sort of joint cross culture program in the name Akuanism. She has achieved none of those things. She even carried a small hope Jarl Bjørn would be here. The jarl was always so polite to her, even when their nations themselves are so opposed to each other politically. At least, he is not here and only the foreboding Queen of Aikthudr’zhur with her frozen stare.

“Arch-Princess LuPaasan, I would like a word with you.” A voice came from behind her.

The kemonomimi turned around to face the Elven queen, an enshrined spirit and rather frightening person all rolled into one. Queen Halein of House Ny’thudr’zhan, the Enshrined Spirit of the Eastern Winds.

4 Likes

Part one of the Coronation: The Arrival

Adrien, Ashura, Packilvania

24 January 2023

Something that most people outside of Packilvania fail to appreciate is what an old civilization Packilvania is. Many of its great cities and small towns have been continuously inhabited for thousands of years. Of note was the city of Adrien.

Buildings here looked so old that they seemed to be hewn from the bones of the Urth. The city was filled with the smells of spices and tea and smoke. The ancient city had temples around every corner. Some were small and quaint, and others were great and majestic, surrounded by manicured gardens and massive palm trees. The waters of the longest river in the world flowed through the city, a murky blue-brown color as they flushed the city.

A city of three million people, a medium-sized city, by Packilvanian standards, it is the second holiest city in Paxism. People can be seen sitting in public squares and reading and reciting, the Bas Magdamar, the central scripture of Paxism in Packilvania. Many can be seen on sidewalks laying prostrate on the ground praying. Women had their hair and faces covered with richly flowing fabrics. In the midst of it all, the Sultan, Sultana, and their entourage rolled in on a polished and sleek modern bullet train. The beautiful and luxurious vehicle seemed to be in stark contrast with this ancient city.

The ancient beauty and modernity of Packilvania were flaunted by the world, many of whom envied the extensive infrastructure and trains of this country. Packilvanians might not have been as rich as their counterparts in foreign countries like Norgsveldet, but they were staunchly patriotic and unfailingly committed to their monarch.

They showed it as the cavalcade of the monarch and world leaders traveled through the city to their respective hotels to get ready for the Coronation. Hundreds of thousands of people could be seen from the sky lining the streets roaring the name of their sovereign and his stunning consort so loudly that Noi herself could hear it.

muShultana amin (My Sultana)”. The nobles and courtiers and the foreign dignitaries and the imperial couple got ready, putting on their robes and jewelry. Thumim said, “luKhron luhadra (It’s time)”. The imperial couple and their entourage headed the Temple of the Restoration. It was too sacred and too holy to allow non-Paxists to enter. So, the foreign dignitaries had to watch from a distance, with screens aiding them as they beheld an important political and religious occasion.

3 Likes

Adrien was a far smaller city than Bingol - Less than a tenth of the population, all told - But the celebrations here were no less spirited for it. Bingol may have been the Sultanate’s head, but Adrien was its heart, a spiritual and cultural capital dating back over millennia.

Saga observed the crowds from the cavalcade, both she and the Sultan now ensconced in the ornate robes befitting their station on this most important day. Even now, the sense of so many eyes being upon her could make Saga’s skin prickle. After a long career conducted in relative privacy, it was an uneasy thing to be observed too closely. But these were the thoughts she buried now. This was, after all, a display as much as the Wedding had been - A display for the country and a display for the world, of wealth and power, and perhaps most important of all now, continuity. These messages were now broadcast across innumerable media platforms as the cavalcade wound its way through the prepared streets.

The sidewalks were crammed now. It was true that the procession was a far cry from the pageantry and spectacle of the earlier wedding, and instead held a degree of comparative solemnity. But the hundreds of thousands who came did so in a proclamation of support, a demonstration to the world that the Bedonite Dynasty held strong in its grand moment of transition.

It was time indeed.

The Temple of Restoration now rose up before them. A far cry from the palaces and skyscrapers of the capital, but it stood heavy with the weight of history. Here, much of the procession would remain behind, and watch the ceremony from afar while they alone entered this place where destiny was forged.

“So it is,” Saga said softly, as they stepped off the cavalcade, “So it is.”

1 Like

Restoring Old Traditions

“Mother, I do not want my coronation to be the tawdry affair that was my father’s”, Thumim had said to his mother as he sat on a traditional stool and drank tea from an istikan. An istikan was a cup without a handle. Thumim’s was made of porcelain and ornamented with flowers and geometric patterns painted in various shades of blue and yellow. The brew of tea that filled the cup was strong and dark, hints of spice and rubber rising with the steam that rose and filled the tent in which he sat. He enjoyed the sport of hunting. Men spent days away in the desert living in tents, wearing thick leather gloves atop which sat falcons with black helmets. With modern technology, cameras were mounted on the helmets and the men followed the path of their birds on monitors. Modernity had subtly intruded into ancient traditions. One such intrusion was in the coronation.

“But, my son, this is how your father’s ceremony was conducted”, Mebri said. Downcast as her son dismissed her plans as merely adequate. She was much annoyed not to have him braying with joy and exhilaration at her plans.

“Mother”, Thumim said as he watched his falcon fly across the vast expanse of the desert., “Father’s coronation was marred with the indignities of the Communist regime. The comparably ascetic tastes and the lack of many of the rituals of the monarchy that were lost”.

“Surely, my son, you cannot expect us to exhume the memory of an extinct dynasty run by an alien race”, Mebri implored.

“Well, mother, you forget, that the alien race of which you refer ruled the greatest land in the world for three hundred years”, Thumim said casually, “The ritual observance that they followed hearkens to the great past of our nation which the rule of the Most High was the order and law of the day. We cannot rush headlong into a form of modernity that was imposed on us by the Communists. I want my coronation to hearken to the past. Use your imagination”.

And so Mebri sacked the entire coronation committee and staffed it with a mixture of nonagenarians and sycophants of the Demirite dynasty. She was surprised by the whimsical imaginations of the young men and women who had made it their life’s work to read up on every minute detail of the old traditions. The nonagenarians were old enough to remember some of the old ways. Despite stretching the ability of their minds to excavate the history of their nation and the human emperors who ruled over its diverse peoples.

The first of the traditions that they reintroduced was to invite many of the peers of the realm. They wore layers of robes, each nodding to his station. Dukes came first, with robes that had long trains made of purple, wearing large turbans surmounted by small coronets. Other peers had large bejeweled pins with ostrich plumes rising from them. Magisters were dressed in long black robes, hiding their hands with gloves and rising like spires formed from obsidian. The Great Magisters held black rods like shepherds leading a large herd. On their heads, they wore kalimavkions from which proceeded long cloths. They looked filled with wisdom and piety. They processed before the the great company of the empire entered the hallowed halls of the Temple of the Restoration.

To be continued

1 Like

January 24, 2023
The Night of the Wedding

“And three… two… one… Siusiu!”

With a single audible click, the cellphone camera immortalized Gazny Zamira’s unamused face right beside Saga Tynam’s positively sanguine grin.

Tshk, you are supposed to say it,” Saga complained, lowering her phone and examining the image with a critical eye. Behind them, a lone fountain burbled gently while the stars rose up to fill the sky. The post-wedding celebrations had largely dispersed by now, but even at their height, the revelries had not disturbed this secluded corner of the palace gardens which Saga had by now decided to make her own.

“It is late,” the Governor grumbled, “And we’ve all had a thousand photos taken by now. Probably plastered across every screen from here to Yul.”

“So we have,” Saga said with a faint smile before pocketing her phone again, “But this one is mine. You make a happy occasion happier for me. That is all.”

“A full night’s sleep will be a happy occasion,” Zamira yawned, “Come, even Timour has dropped off by now, and your Sultan likely awaits you.”

Saga sank down on the bench, “All in good time,” she said easily, “Is the good Governor of Gazny Khot getting old so fast that she dozes off after dinner? Why, once we spent nights huddled about a campfire by the Hayagata-”

“Because we were lost,” Zamira interjected, “You forgot our map.”

“Timour did, actually,” Saga grinned, “I just took the blame for him.”

Zamira closed her eyes, took in a lungful of the cool night air, and exhaled heavily. “I’m going to have words with that brother of mine.” She moved around to join her cousin on the bench.

“Ah, come now Zamira,” Saga laughed, “You enjoyed yourself. Aspan aspanı, the look on that man’s face when we staggered into his cabin half-frozen… Ah, what was his name?”

“Khuchar… Sukh Kuchar,” Zamira recalled. “His nephew was one of the clothiers, don’t you know? For your dress.”

“Hm,” was Saga’s only remark. She tilted her head, trying to remember the fellow, “Small world,” she decided, “And there you were, being an absolute terror to the poor fellow too!”

The Governor offered an innocent shrug as she stood back up. “Sometimes you need things done right,” she said simply. “And you will need to get some sleep. It would not do to doze off during your own coronation.”

Aysht, just sit with me a moment, will you?” Saga said impatiently, “It is a small world, Gazny Zamira. But it is not so small that I won’t miss you soon.”

January 25, 2023
The Day of the Coronation

The Governor’s fears had all been for naught, in the end. There was little chance of anyone dozing off during the coronation, not when the pomp and circumstance seemed fit to raise the dead. And perhaps, as Saga mused, it had done just that in a way. She could certainly recognize an appeal to tradition when she saw one, and knew enough to guess at the callbacks to the lost human dynasties that had once reigned here. A powerful statement, perhaps, but a dangerous one as well in her estimation.

But the procession into the temple had begun, and the time for worries was over as the coronation began.

1 Like