The Crowning Moment

The Finale

25 January 2023

Sultana’s Palace, Bingol, Packilvania

After the coronation, Thumim and Saga announced that they were founding a new charity called the Bedon Family Foundation. It would consolidate existing charitable efforts by the Houses of Bedon and Tynam to which she contributed 1 billion kiribs to kickstart the project.

Thumim was in his office in the palace doing some light reading (if you can call a 100-page law and 75 pages of comments written in Packilvanian legalese “light reading”). He poured over the pages, making notes and underlining phrases he wanted to take note of. A knock on the door broke his focus.

Prince Abuyin stepped through when he told him to enter. Thumim’s face lit up as he saw him and stood up from behind the desk. Without a second thought, he went to hug his brother and give him two kisses, one on each cheek. But, Abuyin was rigid, almost cold. When Thumim stepped back, he saw the grave expression on his face, and his jubilation was calmed by an icy breeze.

“Brother”, Thumim said, “Take a seat. What’s wrong?”

“New foundation, hey?” Abuyin said as he played with the pen on the desk.

“Yes”, Thumim said, “I am excited for all the good we will be able to do”.

“Mmm. Where did you get the money?”

Thumim was taken aback by the question, but nevertheless answered it, “As we said in the press release, we consolidated…”

Abuyin interjected, “You lie! I used to think that you hate me. That I offended you. That deep down even though you were in denial about who I really loved and who I really was, you couldn’t stop your training from making you hate me. But now I see. You don’t hate me! You are a liar! You are a viper, a monster, a devourer of children!”

Thumim was too stunned to speak. He looked at his brother like he had relieved himself on the floor in his office. He then said, “Abuyin…”

“Let me finish!” Abuyin said, “Do you honestly think that some pathetic excuse for a zakatamiya will make you a good man? You are not just ruthless or calculating. You are not even manipulative and condescending. You are evil, right down to the marrow of your bones. You are a vicious evil horrible brute hewn from the safe stuff as the monster who lies entombed behind the Jovian Gate. I know what you did! This is why you didn’t want me to be Crown Prince. I see now that you wanted my inheritance, and you would do anything to get your hands on it, whether it was sideline and depose me, or to dismiss half the government. Well there you have it, you are the richest most powerful man in the world! Well, Thumim! I hope you die! I hope you die so that when you do, that human witch will have your rotting corpse cremated and put in a chamber pot so that when we drive her out of this country, she will take you back to the hell from which you pulled her. I thought you would be different from Father, but you are the same sort of beast if not worse because at least he made you the fucking Crown Prince! Oh, my Noi! I hate you, I hate you with every fiber of my mortal being and every ounce of my immortal soul, I hate you!”

Thumim was silent as Abuyin was panting. He took his cup of tea and took a long drawn out and audible sip. He gave a satisfied breath and put the cup down.

He put his hands together as he leaned forward on the desk, remaining seated, and said, “Now that you are finished, I will give that to you for free. Say that again, and you will know what sort of monster I am”.

1 Like