The Empire Returns! Interview of Dali (Lady Anastasia)

Wed Jul 09, 2014

EPNS Exclusive: The Empire Returns!
Interview of Dali (Lady Anastasia) by Xoriet

<Sev> Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to EPNS Live, an extension of the Eastern Pacific News Service, Edited by Bachtendekuppen! Tonight we have Dali, member of the Empire, and long term NS player. Running the interview tonight is Xoriet Montresor, staff writer for EPNS. We’re very excited for the opportunity to bring you this interview tonight, and without further ado, I’ll turn it over to Xoriet!

Dali waves, and smiles to the crowd

<Xoriet> Thank you, Sev. Welcome to EPNS Live, Dali. We’re glad to have you here.

<Dali> It’s great to be here.

<Xoriet> So tonight we have an array of questions put together by members of the East Pacific. The first part of these questions pertains to the Empire’s coup. The latter part trends to the miscellaneous.

Dali pours himself a drink and lights up a smoke

<Xoriet> Was couping the East Pacific something that was decided on by the whole group, or was the idea suggested by one individual?

<Dali> Basically, TEP and all operations done under ‘The Empire’ banner if you will are consensus decisions. I know this may be a tad hard for some to understand, given their perception of The Empire, but we are a surprisingly egalitarian and consensus-based organization when it comes to the top rank. 99% of decisions require all of the main people in Empire to support said decision, including going after The East Pacific in late 2008. We had scoped it out previously, and all of us felt that it was a good target.

<Xoriet> Were there other regions considered during this time?

<Dali> At that particular period of time? TWP and TNP were previously couped by members who now form The Empire. The Pacific has always been regarded as a hard-to-get coup that maybe one day we can go for, but when we were looking at the immediate future, we found that TEP was by far the most likely to be taken by anyone. There were others who were going after TEP in the same time-frame, because Gnidrah was a very inactive Delegate who simply did not heed warnings. Remember, TEP was always regarded as more isolationist than the rest of the GCRs, except when it came to the NPO/PRP. Post-Loop, and during Gnid’s reign, that complete lack of involvement in the world contributed. But, it was much more than that. Everything in TEP at that point seemed wanting for change. Everything.

<Xoriet> Well, you certainly gave it quite a few changes that left an impression. Did this arise from the Gatesville Conference back in 2007?

Dali smiles

<Dali> Funny enough, Gatesville and I absolutely did not get along during that time period. There’s always talk about couping regions, and that was part of the reason why Westwind couped with me in TNP during Crimson Order. However, the main reason why we couped was to test out the theory that Minnow Delegates simply could not coup. We wanted to prove that activity and a successful coup can happen in the GCRs with Influence. We held it for four months, and with the exception of the NPD, I believe we are the longest lasting “coup” (unless you want to be old school and claim the NPO). Gatesville contributed, but they were not the main force behind Empire. Same with those regions we now designate “Imperialist”.

<Xoriet> Would you have considered approaching TEP prior to the invasion to see if the Empire could work with TEP to make an active region?

<Dali> Oh, we in a sense did. I was a Magister in TEP prior to the coup, and this was before we even considered couping TEP. Thing is, there was nothing going on in the region. For me, it was to provide a bolt of electricity to the heart of the region, in order to provide some activity for TEP then. We did not see the government of the day under Gnidrah as meeting those needs for TEP. It needed something drastic, which we provided. And now look at TEP. They’re active. They’re doing well.

<Xoriet> Indeed we are. So, during the takeover there was some confusion as to what was going on in TEP. Which regions bought your propaganda the quickest?

<Dali> Heh. We certainly did not do well with the GCRs right off the bat. We had declared war on all feeders/sinkers at the get-go. Our main allies were in the Imperialist sphere. Going along, TWP was sympathetic to us, and we had almost signed a proper treaty for them, and would have got it through in TWP had it not been for their inept First Minister/Delegate, The Faeyas. Oh, and can’t forget how some defenders assisted us both in the lead-up and occupation. Some of them were wonderful to helping us know what was going on in the defender sphere.

<Dali> Drink, dear?

<Xoriet> Alcoholic or non?

<Dali> What do you think?

<Xoriet> Non, I’d assume.

<Dali> I do have some of the good stuff in the back.

<Xoriet> Maybe a bit later.

<Dali> More for me, then!

<Xoriet> Enemies and allies considered, what was the hardest part of fully taking over the region in your opinion?

<Dali> The first three main updates. Easily the hardest. Once you can hold it for three updates, then you’re over the hump. If you go at it too strong, like say WPD, then you can fall at the first update. If you know how to play it safe yet keep your side secure, then you can hold on for the first three major updates. From there, you’re able to start actually planning what you want to do from there-on, the “Why did we coup? What are we going to do now?” Also, keeping up aliases during a coup is a hard yet rewarding experience.

<Xoriet> I hear that you managed to keep yours hidden fairly well.

<Dali> I was actually one of the more speculated identities. We pulled all the stops to keep me hidden for as long as we wanted. Thing is, folks either believed that Lady Anastasia was actually played by a female (I’m a dude), or that Gov was Lady Anastasia. Or other theories. A lot of work was put into keeping not just me, but others, secret. And a bunch of them are still secret.

<Xoriet> On that topic, what roles did your individual members serve while in TEP? More specifically, what did each member contribute while controlling the region?

<Dali> For The East Pacific, we had an Imperial Council. Similar to a Cabinet in most GCRs, but it did hold advisors who specialized in their own particular brands. Nee (Lady Phedre) is our Empress, our front-line gal who is our public face who can organize us and hit hard if needed. Biyah was Intel/Security and attack dog. I’m sure that is no surprise to many. I function as foreign affairs/security, given my experience. NK is and was one of the best propagandists in the game, and he and I would work a lot together. There have been others in the Imperial Council who handled Culture (such as Lady Edea), Defence, the religious aspect of the Empire (Zorn-Uzkul, who is Nee’s RL hubby, did that), and others. We functioned as a regular government, albeit one which was more regarded as “evil”.

Dali lights another cig

<Xoriet> What was your favorite moment out of the entire duration of the occupation of TEP?

<Dali> I guess I’d have to say when I unmasked. It was a messy process, as I was serving as Delegate of Equilism then. Yet, we had already gone through a month and a half or so of anonymity, and we were expecting people to finally figure us out. They were getting close, but not close enough. To say that I was Lady Anastasia to the world was quite fun. That being said, it did eliminate my contacts in TEP Gov’t at the time, when I was double-timing both being Lady Anastasia and Dalimbar the Magister. But by then, it was not an issue, as there was little they could do there.

Xoriet takes a moment to assume a mildly scandalized expression, then returns to business

Dali smiles

<Xoriet> We have a particular question from Todd McCloud here: “I remember certain members underwent a cleansing ceremony. Which one was the funniest?”

Dali grins

Xoriet pauses to regard Dali with mild alarm

<Dali> So, for context, Cleansing Ceremonies were a sort of RP application to become a Citizen of TEP Empire. We regarded TEP as being 'Purified.’ We had a whole religion based around it, which was appropriated by the current TEP RPs for a bit. To become part of ‘Nobility’, and we did not know who you were, you have to be ‘Cleansed’. Of course, there were plenty of spies who wanted to join in. And they would work the hardest. God bless them, they do try to work hard at pleasing those they wish to spy upon. I’m not going to name the one individual who amuses me the most from Cleansing, but he really did try hard. Quite an active poster, quite an active contributor. Of course, we kept an eye on him, and had him sent to the Watery Pit of Hell.

<Xoriet> The Watery Pit of Hell? Sounds…delightful.

<Dali> Oh, it is! Akin to a prison or a gulag or a dungeon, just on the bottom of the ocean with the Goddess. But yeah. It was always amusing to have spies working on us.

<Xoriet> Nice… Now, Dali, we come to the most serious question so far. What was your liquor of choice during the occupation period?

Dali tops up his drink

<Dali> Rum. Easily rum. Plenty of it, with Coek. I don’t think I’d have survived without a stiff drink in that time.

<Xoriet> Rum is, as ever, a very good choice of drink.

<Dali> It’s the best. I grew up in TNP in the GCRs, and acquired the taste from there.

<Xoriet> Rum is to TNP as Caek is to TEP?

<Dali> People coup TNP for their rum.

<Xoriet> Rum is clearly a very serious drink.

<Dali> UDL tried giving me their Whiskey, but wasn’t enough for TNP Rum.

<Xoriet> What is your opinion on Puffin Scotch?

<Dali> That is a fine drink. A very appropriate drink for TEP. Calming, yet strong. Not a drink where you feel the need to coup after having a swig.

<Xoriet> Clearly Bach has done a superb job dimming any urges to coup in TEP citizens.

Xoriet gifts complimentary special Puffin Scotch to Dali

<Dali> I think Bach did a great job as Del, and I look forward to Ram’s Delegacy. I know that plenty of people in TEP have some feelings that Empire will come back, but I feel that TEP is on the right track.

Xoriet motions away the excess security >.>

Dali snickers

<Dali> While I have this opportunity, I would like to just say this: The East Pacific does not have anything to fear from The Empire while it continues on a pro-activity and pro-regional development policy.

<Xoriet> Thank you, Dali. Looking back at the operation, what are some things you would have done differently?

<Dali> For the most part, I’m really proud of what we did in TEP. I’m really proud of doing what very few others have been able to do, and that is to coup and hold onto a GCR for an extended period of time. For my own self, I perhaps would say that we should have toned down on the “War against All Feeders” attitude, as that didn’t help us later on in the game. And there’s the Faeyas being inept thing, which really pissed me off. I had worked on a very equitable agreement between TEP and TWP, a partnership arrangement where we would recognize their sovereignty and them recognize ours, yet Fae being Fae was a horrid salesperson.

<Xoriet> That must have been more than a little frustrating. What are the most significant changes that you believe have taken place in TEP since the natives took control of the region?

<Dali> Activity.TEP is an active and proud region now, which I’m glad to see. They do their own thing, which is great. They are able to construct their own identity for themselves. They allow no one to dictate to them how to do things. That is what I want to see all GCRs doing. Allowing no one to dictate their policies.

<Xoriet> If you were involved in The East Pacific today, which faction do you think you’d be: Caek, Pi, or Fishmonger?

<Dali> Caek ftw. I <3 caek, especially cheesecaek.

Dali kills for that shit

<Xoriet> Caek is an absolutely integral part of TEP.

<Dali> CAEK GET!!!11111one

<Xoriet> Loopian style.

<Dali> He was Del for most of my young NS career.

<Xoriet> On the subject of GCRs, which region do you feel that in your NS career has been the closest to a home for you?

<Dali> Hmm. Recently, from 2011-just recently, I would have said Osiris. It was my home. It was where I belonged. We made that place a place of second (or third) chances. We had a great run there, and as much as the OFO can be irritating to watch, I wish Sev well there.

<Xoriet> We all do. Sev has been an absolutely spectacular Pharaoh. Which is your favorite regional government theme in the GCRs? The UCRs?

<Dali> As I’m sure many of your viewers know, I used to come from RLA. So, the current Lazarus structure is wonderful. I wish Funk the best as Delegate of Lazarus, now that he has the Delegacy. I don’t have exactly a favourite UCR theme, as I regard them all mostly as parasites on the GCRs.

<Xoriet> What are some changes to NS that you would like to see?

<Dali> Elimination of Influence. Sorry, I know that won’t happen, but I really would like to show many of you how pre-Influence worked in the GCRs. I am looking forward to the Regional Officers idea. Sadly, I wasn’t involved in those discussions, but I would like to see how ROs would work out in the GCRs.

<Xoriet> I would feel terribly sorry for some of the presently occupied regions.

<Dali> Such as Anarchy? Indeed. I am glad that defenders have asked me to help out returning that region to their native community. Even it if hasn’t worked out so far.

<Xoriet> What is your rating on all the regional coups you have participated in thus far, on a scale ranging from ‘Amazing’ to ‘Nightmarish?’

<Dali> All? Darling, you know I have too many to list. Double-teaming as a Leader of the TNP Gov’t-in-exile and talking to NK who was talking to Emperor Matthuis was painful, except that partly was because we wanted Emperor Matthuis to fail. Which he did. I’d also say one of the Eli coups, involving a Committee-structure of government, was also painful. Helping JAL coup is always entertaining yet not. Where I am more-or-less in control of the coup is always the better option for me. And for others.

<Xoriet> It sounds as if that would certainly be the case. What is the funniest native resistance you have encountered during your coups?

<Dali> I think one of the more “wtf are they doing” was when Flemingovia and Eluvatar were advising TEPers on how to resist us. Flem had made up this example of a native African means of organizing a resistance movement. It was great, but, did not suit the theme of the old EP government at the time. I know he wanted to feel like he was exporting counter-coups to TEP based on his experience, yet, did it poorly. Or, I guess, Georgie missing in Osiris. I honestly did not expect to wake up and be Delegate of Osiris again. I literally said, when I found out in the morning “For fuck sake, Georgie.” Then had to hold it without doing anything for 12 hours. That was more bothersome than anything.

<Xoriet> What is your favorite Empire conspiracy theory?

<Dali> Does Mallimbar count? I love that one right now.

<Xoriet> That counts. Explain to our viewers the truth that is “Mallimbar.”

<Dali> I’ll get to my actual answer in a sec, then :stuck_out_tongue:

<Dali> While Mall was visiting Venico and Koth a couple weekends ago, Ven told Mall that he both looked and sounded like me. Mall and I had to test out this theory, using the power of Skype. At the time we skyped, he was a proto-type of me, had longer hair and not quite as full as a beard as me, but otherwise, I could have given him my Canadian passport and he’d be good. From what I know now, he got a haircut, so, that’d help with the Mallimbar thing. My real answer to your question is the one theory that Todd is a long-term Empire plant in TEP. Or Escade being Nee. Those two are pretty high up there for me. Both of those are complete and utter bullshit, despite the fact I would have like those to happen.

<Xoriet> On a similar note…What is your favorite Empire coup joke?

<Dali> Empire coup joke? Please, share with the audience :stuck_out_tongue:

Dali whispers to his minion that he needs another drink

<Xoriet> Empire minion! How did they get past the security??

<Dali> We’re good :slight_smile:

Dali finds a new drink on his table, compliments of his minion

<Dyr is now known as TheMinion>

<Xoriet> Answering your question, an Empire coup joke consists of one of you pinning…

Xoriet sighs

<Xoriet> I should have known, Dyr.

<TheMinion is now known as Dyr>

<Xoriet> -a person who is not a member of Empire as a high-influence Empire member and stating that they will be next to coup.

<Dali> Then you, my dear. :slight_smile: Sev also joined Mallimbar, so Osiris will have to deal with him. But you, Xor. I won’t coup TEP if Ram and then you are Delegates.

<Xoriet> Are you speaking individually or for Empire on this one?

<Dali> As the most senior member of Empire currently on line, I believe that we have other priorities than TEP.

<Xoriet> I have no issue with this.

<Dali> Unless TEP wishes to go down a paranoid and xenophobic attitude, which will be addressed at that point.

<Xoriet> (No)
<Xoriet> Winding down to a close, we have the last few questions. Are there any people today that you think would have been fun additions to Empire?

<Dali> Plenty. I have met some really great people in NS since 2009. I don’t believe they’d appreciate me naming names, however.

<Xoriet> And, lastly, does Empire still operate as an organization?

<Dali> As a governing organization? No. Despite the crack-pot theories, what we had in TEP was not the same in Osiris. It held many of the same people, but it was not Empire. To suggest that is only propaganda, pure and simple. As a place where people from the older times can meet, chat, talk about what is needed in the game and decide how to do what we want? Absolutely. Empire is not an organization, per se, but is a movement of what people want to see.

<Xoriet> Hmm, there go my plans to ask if you care to divulge your next big operation for the benefit of the audience.

<Dali> I’d have to spin the wheel for that. Anyone have a wheel on them?

<Xoriet> That’s actually not a bad idea. Can we borrow yours, or should we use Tammy’s feature in Spiritus?

<Dali> Tammy is more fun.

<Xoriet> Go with Tammy.

<Dali> [20:58:42] <Dali> .coup
<Dali> [20:58:43] <Tammy> Let’s coup Balder.

<Dali> I guess Balder.

<Xoriet> Oh my. My condolences to NES and Rach.

<Dali> Thing is, despite their actions against me in game, I like them. So, this could be hard for me.

<Xoriet> I’m sure they will understand that it was nothing personal.

<Dali> I hope so.

<Xoriet> Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Dali.

<Sev> The East Pacific would like to thank you all for coming out tonight. This has been a production of EPNS Live, an extension of the Eastern Pacific News Service. Edited by Bachtendekuppen, produced by Sev, and hosted by Xoriet. Reproduction not permitted without permission of EPNS, copyright 2014.

Dali waves as the lights fade out

Xoriet coups Dali in the darkness

<Dali> ohbaby

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=20862455#p20862455
Transferred to forum by East Malaysia & put in Xoriet’s name.

That title.
I had a heartattack.
Thanks Xoriet.

Wysłane z mojego SM-J530F przy użyciu Tapatalka