The Fourth Session

Constantine wasn’t having a good day. He rarely did anymore, but that was besides the point. Protests in Visthus over the travel ban, the Gear falling behind schedule again, and the constant barrage of insane people and their inane problems finding a way into his office. It was a wonder he got any sleep the past month. And now , with Arrin calling for the Fourth Session to be moved forwards a week, Constantine’s much needed free time had been shunted aside.

This didn’t stop him from performing his duties, however. The corridor echoed his footsteps and those of his staff, Lucile going over last minute discussion points and Barrett struggling with the stack of breakfast materials. Up ahead, the intersection for the Central Chambers; gently curving corridor interspersed with carefully crafted doors of piberre wood, a nameplate next to each.

Mirta and Gifford as always, greeted Constantine with silent nods as he reached his door. Too exhausted to offer the pair of guards more than a grunt, he swiped his ID and submitted to the retinal scan, the motions robotic in routine.

He hated this part more as he got older: the climb. The door swung open and there they were. Fifty two ceremonial steps in all their knee-stressing glory. The harsh light of the Chambers beat against Constantine’s eyes as he took the steps. The narrow stairwell filtered all of the glare directly onto the Chairmans face, and he found himself wishing he had invested into a pair of those auto-darkening glass lenses. Perhaps after the Session.

The final step was a relief, his knees sore and creaking. The small platform he was assigned had only enough space for a side table and three chairs; the rest of the space taken up by a section of the huge steel desk that ran the circumference of the rotunda. Constantine observed that he was the last member to arrive, with the 51 alcoves identical to his already occupied by their Councilors. He didn’t have to count; the oppressive noise of the reflective room and impatient politicians was enough.

“Zeliant Emneis!”[note]Avannian: Everyone be silent[note] The Chairmans’ command boomed into the Chambers, his voice still carrying the same power to catch attention it always had. Most other Councilors started, and upon seeing their most senior member seated, quickly followed suit. “<The Fourth Session of the Syllvan Conclave has begun. The Roll starts now, indicate that you are present while we get underway.>”[note] Translated from Island Common. [note] As the soft clicks of buttons replaced political squabble, Constantine flicked his own ‘present’ key, and then began the official recording.

[hr]

[2017-02-23/10:34:09] Chairman C. Demarc: “<Alright, we all seem to be here. Want to tell me why you’re interrupting my day off this week, Arrin?>”

(Quiet Chuckles)

[2017-02-23/10:34:17] Councilor H. Arrin: “<We’ve all read the reports from the Diplomatics, correct? Both Celannica and Mexregiona have made contact with us. We’re in a unique position to secure our future and to revitalize our industries. I thought it would be of our interests to cover this now, as well as the scheduled topics.>”

[2017-02-23/10:34:37] Councilor J. Benia: “<Surely you could’ve handled this yourself, Arrin. This isn’t our job, evaluating diplomatic options.>”

(Small chorus of “Eit faktom ezt eita”[note]Avannian: “And so it is.” Syllvanian axiom.[note])

[2017-02-23/10:34:46] H. A.: “<While I appreciate my fellow Councilors enthusiasm for observing logic, I’ve got everything sorted. I’ve already reviewed the options with the Overcommittee, and I think- >”

[2017-02-23/10:35:03] C. DM.: “<The short version, please. We still only have the allotted time for what we agreed to cover.>”

[2017-02-23/10:35:20] H. A.: “<Very well, DeMarc.>” (Sighs.) “<I propose we apply for a sort of probationary membership with the Fire Pact. We bring an extensive manufacturing infrastructure, strategic position, and extremely militarized society to the table, which is going to be much more appealing to a smaller alliance like the FPA rather than their rivals. It also is the only party that has contacted us with an offer rather than a suggestion.>”

[2017-02-23/10:36:05] Councilor A. Kalan: “<I don’t particularly like the idea of the EDF being involved in foreign conflicts, Arrin. It’s in the name.>”

[2017-02-23/10:36:19] Councilor B. Ergis.: “<Your objection is noted, Councilor, and is accepted due to your responsibilities, but be mindful that this is a diplomatic issue.>”

[2017-02-23/10:36:45] C. DM.: “<Is there anything else, Arrin?>”

(…)

2017-02-23/10:37:12] C. DM.: “<Alright, people. Voting time. Green for apply for probationary status as a member of the Fire Pact Alliance, pending details pertaining to what full membership entails. Red for not applying based upon…Councilor Kalan’s interjection that Free Syllvin has defense forces and thus they should be used for defense rather than assisting foreign powers. Begin.>”

(Clicking.)

2017-02-23/10:38:04] C. DM. “<Looks like we are at…33 for, 15 against, 4 abstaining. Alright, Arrin, you have your ‘issue’ out of the way. Get a team together, draft some of the usual diplo-garbage memos, and pick a spot to meet. Kalan, Neders, assemble something impressive to carry the team. Moving on now to this fifth’s budget allocations…>”