The Fractured History of The East Pacific (updated)

OP The Fractured History of The East Pacific (updated) - The East Pacific - Tapatalk

I have been relying on memory and some ancient notes to put this thing together, and I have found archaic intel I thought lost, like one of the last Pacific Delegates before the NPO, and the guy who led the RR before Kandarin.

Im on page 2 so far and I’m up to June 03

the Federation of Gres
Received: 88 minutes ago Infinite Loop, I would like to let you know that those supporting me in the RR may choose to try to overtake your position as delegate. I think it only fair that you know that I proposed the idea. I promise you that I will not mass eject nations if we decide to move over.

My nations and I are in a hard place. We need a region that is not constantly bombarded with spammers that we can not kick out. I proposed East Pacific only because of the few endorsements you have and the fact that it is a birth nation. This is not personal.

I would like to keep open communication with you during this process and I will let you know as soon as our region decides.

Sincerely,

Gres

this is a telegram I received from Gres the delegate ru the RR
he was trying to get me to let him take over because they deserved it in his Opinion lol

23 hours ago
The Kingdom of Taniquetil
everybody listen up. on sunday june 8th move to the east pacific. grunstsburg will stay here as the delegate. the rest of us will endorse samulesen and take it over. we will stay there and get eveyrone to move to the ultimate alliance. their delegate has 35 endorsements, so we will need at least 36 of you. the region has over 2000 nations so this will be a major victory for us. we cant try to overcome the north south and west pacifics like this because their dlegates have too many endorsements. so make sure you can all show up.

this nert nert actually telegramed me that

By the way, June 8/9 is the anniversary of 0-_-0 's grief sing attack

this is Enodia’s speech about the event

Enodia
Game Moderator
Founded: 17 Dec 2002
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:36 am Post subject: J’Accuse

This is to all those who want to criticise what I’ve been doing in relation to the East Pacific griefing and its fallout.

The East Pacific was griefed. That’s obvious. From go to woah I spent the better part of an hour locating and deleting the multis involved in this event. Standard fare for a mod - even though there were some 80 multis involved in the business.
This morning, my time, I saw some posts pointing to Gres as either the nation behind it all or the nation who “put PapalExhibitionism up to doing this”. On investigation, Gres was cheating and was dealt with accordingly. I don’t know whether Gres and PapalExhibitionism were one and the same, and in fact I’d suggest that they weren’t. Fact is that Gres was cheating. Weeding through that took quite a while as well.
Following this particular event, I was then informed that my region was going to be attacked as retaliation. As a result, the Rejected Realms had their UN members checked for multis - resulting in a lot of UN ejections and the odd deletion.

At this point, I’d like to point out to anyone who was ejected from the UN that it wasn’t something done lightly. The UN Check isn’t perfect for catching cheats, but it comes damn close in my book. For those of you who want to suggest that America (where a lot of you are) or Australia (where I am) is a democracy so therefore you should be given the right of appeal - STFU.
Arguments about the nature of democracy aside, NationStates isn’t one. You know who’s word is law? Max Barry. He’s also appointed some secret police - yes, I’m not ashamed to call myself a secret policeman - the moderators. If your nation is cheating or looks for all the world like it is, it gets carted away from the UN. If your nation is offensive or looks like it might be, it mysteriously disappears. If your motto is offensive or looks like it might be, it gets “re-educated”. Yep, we’re the secret police - we’re the Stasi, the Securitate and everything else rolled into one. Scarpia ain’t got nothin’ on how mean we can be.

Having dealt with the multi issue as effectively as it can be, my job was then to ensure that - while The East Pacific was still vulnerable to attacks - they weren’t a foregone conclusion. In an ideal world, I’d appoint a founder and allow them to password-protect the region, but I can’t do that because that’s where the new nations come up (or some of them). Was I right to appoint 1 Infinite Loop? I believe I was. Loop was the one who alerted me to the attacks in the first place and he has also been very helpful in reporting other problems for the mods to address. Yes, he does have a chequered past, but my belief is that he’s sufficiently “cured” to at least be a temporary delegate.
Well, seems like there’s no pleasing some people. Immediately Loop becomes the delegate, I get called every name under the sun for “facilitating griefing”. Ironically, when I have a look at the region - the delegate (and consequently he-who-is-booting) isn’t even Loop, it’s someone else. Last I checked, Loop’s back in business as the delegate. Yes, he might well be booting some players, but he’s within his rights to boot those challenging him for the delegate-ship or those he thinks are multis, or region-crashers, or whatever the hell else they might be.

I maintain that at all times during this crisis I’ve done the right thing. In fact, i challenge anyone wanting to criticise any mod for any action to outline what they would have done better if they were in the same position the mod was. We have to make tough decisions on the fly and often without recourse to every single minute fact which might help one side’s case. I know that certain nations (not naming any names) will take umbrage at the fact that I’m admitting that moderating isn’t an exact science, but it isn’t. In the same way as you can always tell a football coach what play he should have called, you can always tell a mod what they should have done - the question you need to ask yourselves is whether or not you would have done what it is you recommend they do.
A great man once asked - what is easier, coming up with an idea that will change the world, or criticising an idea which you hear?

Are the mods an instrument of state power? You better believe it. If need be, I can be judge, jury and executioner - and all three in the space of a few seconds. As a collective, we represent the three arms of government - and there aren’t any elections scheduled in the near future.

Criticise us as much as you want, but make certain you tell us what you would have done better.

This all starts innocently, as these things often do. I was online after work and on fark.com as usual I rarely watched tv at that time I saw a link that said “some better game designer” and clicked I was taken on wings intertube goblins to nationstates.net and after looking about a second I realized it was like model UN back in school so I tried to create a nation I honestly don’t recall If 1IL or Cupertino was first it’s been so long now, I presume it was 1IL because my First Nation didn’t seem to go through and I made a second, the servers being crowded as they were. my early days were primarily with Cupertino, I believe i spawned in the pacific with Cupertino, Loop was TSP if i recall correctly. All the farkers moved almost immeadiatly to Farkistan and for about a week we were like on huge slightly retarded family, then the schism occured and about half left for Farktopia.

The great war was quite possibly one of the earliest NS interregional event, it was a weird time part of us thought it was just for fun and some actually took it serious, during thus war there were some external events, the at the time biggest regions were Texas,Wysteria, and the fledgling Heartland. Texas and Wysteria began to complaim on the forums about us claiming we were behind the instability of the game and the server crashes and we should all be banned very not nice, bear in mind the game was never deaigned to have the workload it got but it made it.
Around this time the Farkers got together initially we were trying to figure out a way to play the game differently and it was brought up that the U.N. was where the power laid and we decided to try taking over other regions to take control of the U.N. it quickly evolved into invasion. We captured several regions but decided the long haul was not so important so we began roving after a few invasions we decised to eliminate the Nazis from the game at the time they had a rather large user base.

I was the first non Nazi delegate of Germany, later we attacked hell and other nazi regions Lothlanderamore was stationed in TEP because of Hitler the great he was delegate for about a month as I recall during this time the rest of us were in The Heartland we invaded because of some statement Ineptia made which we took as uppity i dont recall the exact quote but i could probably find it out from one of the old comrades.

During the nazi raids we actually hit hell twice once in our attack then again in response to a request from some gal who wanted to take it over whom we promptly overthrew and we held it for a bit. Not saying we were the reason the Nazis were cut down but we were instrumental in it.

Back on subject, after the invasion if The Heartland i took a hiatus and joined Loth in The EP I was ther a few days when he asked that I take over for a bit he had some stuff IRL to take care of and i agreed to it he never returned lol. The EP was quiet fow Loth’s time and for a bit of mine I took office on May 25th with a grand total of 13 endorsements and ar the advice of Goddesness of TSP convimced me to go to invision for a forum and begin construction of the region.
I registered the forum a few days later on the 31st. At first i had to bugger about trying to figure out hiw to use the forum controls.
Almost immeadiately we were beset with troubles as people feom all over the game flooded in either in support of me or trying to overthrow me. The Atlantic Alliance came after us because Loth took it from them and they were angry , the South Pacific came to our defense as did the farkers and others. I really wish i could remember more details .
Olongapo the delegate of the pacific (take that meticulous notes ocassionally) told me a guy named gres (the rr delegate) was in the RR with a 70 count preendorsement and had been talking about both the P and the TEP. The AA went after TSP and not us which limited their aid to our cause for independence. a most welcome but unexpected ally, the Heartland, the invasion of the Heartland is why rpers got so much power in game they had one of the first moderator appointments but when it came down to it they aided us.

In June a nation called nowa warszawa tried to invade and i actually had a bit of a ongoing rivalry with him after he was trounced he tried to refound a couple of regions Norway and Italy, i best him to it and stole them from him.

Gres ended up getting deleted by the mods i thing he finally snapped and went insane.

JUNE 8 2003, a day that will live in infamy

On this day the infamous griefer and UN multi 0-_-0 took over TEP, he even used my pet region Siberian gulag to mask his nations. I was online and saw it happening live, went to irc and alerted the mods and gave them a list of his nations and they went to work ban hammering him out of the game.
When they were done i had a race i had to come back from the RR and rebuild quickly the mods had established a precedent of returning the last delegate to the seat after this guy struck but for some reason this precedent was ignored on me even the Bruce of the heartland commented on the bias toward me from the team.
Some guy named Lordinum had me beat for a bit But i managed to Retake the homeland. after becoming delegate again somehow someone else was accessing regional controls for a few hours. It was later discovered that Gres of the RR was the greifer and Enodia the mod who worked with us posted a speech as i call it about the situation,

(insert speech)

we got a bit of a reprieve from troubles, The SP was attacked at the time and the mods
(namely Neutered Sputniks) were hushing up discussions of it for some reason
their delegate The Fathoms Below had over 500 endo and was replaced by Alpha C who began mass ejections.and around this time Lazarus got a founder for a while.

around August there was a small run in with the ACC Pilmour moved in using the update to shield his movements and began what I believed to be a coup attempt , and when I booted him I received a TG from him claiming that since they helped us fend off the RR they deserve free passage, I let him know recruiters were the same as ambassadors and had to be NON UN then we could talk.

THE AGE OF TEH GREIFER DEFENDERS

August 29 03 was the fist reap mention of the ADN I saw in game they tged a farker or two stating that there was a meeting for members and a;ked for their attendance. no mention of Pope Hope though in the TG as she probably was appointed leader at the time, good strategy for them though, using a gal for their leader to draw in all the love struck guys who would do anything she said just to get a girl to talk to them.

also around this time some guy from the ACC was running about reporting people for flag violations originally the flag; were small ugly things I figured out how to get a 200x300 to look good and still fall under the 25 kb limit this guy, Moonlit islands actually told me that he was policing flags for the mods because the flags he made looked like Ass Hack the Moderator defended me.

around mid September there was a lot of talk about a new moderator being added to the game and there were three different voting threads posted asking for the opinion of the players as to who should be the new mod, I won all three. but was passed over for Cogitation.kind of a downer but not really.

The middle of September 03 was the break we were looking for, Franco’s Spain became the delegate of the Pacific.when this happened it gave us the freedom to grow into what we are today, yes we were allied with the Pacific prior to the takeover but those who were attacking it we were not so we allied with Franco,
I got calls daily for aid in attacking them even though I had told people we were not a military region we were a RP/Social region. Some guy named Gorolandia got booted from the EP for crossing the Endorsement threshold and then he went on a jihad against me even trying me in absentia in his forum at one point. thing is his region was entirely made up of my nations the nations of friends, he a;ked a fellow farker to prosecute me and a friend from the heartland to defend me and I think I was two of the five judges he had in the tribunal.
And at this time the ACC had become the Atlantic Alliance and Halmont acting on behalf of Nonchalant made me a Captain in the AA I guess it was a way to claim they had the EP if they gave me a title and membership in their group.
for a little perspective in 03 I was discussing with some folks about what kind of Cell phone to get for my first one.

THE RP ERA

while the Pacific was taking all the games in game heat we were pretty much left alone and were able to really begin developing our regional identity. something that would have happened much earlier if we had just been left alone. Franco was beset with troubles daily a “Bug” hit him and he lost a lot of endorsements, it was suggested that a moderator did it hoping no one would notice until it was too late.however Neutered Sputniks stated that Franco would be the delegate at update because it was unfair to punish him because of a bug.
we began our RP in earnest, at this time as I recall I went for that weird tripped out 1970’s scifi anime japan routine and Pack became the Borg, there was EP war 1 mostly myself and Pack battling. and There was the Govindia incident, gov did a little god modding and this led to his banning we got a map the regional articles of confederation went live on Halloween 03 and for the most part it was pretty quiet we really grew as a region and a people and for about a year life was good then in August Insane Power tried to take over the EP, and in September of 04 the RRA once again moved against us and we even got a game mod in region to oversee the invasion (Salusa Secundus) this is the invasion where it was found that Crazy Girl and some others were running a scam where they would hit several regions at update and gather multiple endorsements that would temporarily inflate them to be able to takeover a region, bear in mind these are defenders we are talking about taking advantage of loopholes then crying when the mods catch onto what they are doing and fixing it I stopped the invasion and we were safe again.
in 05, march I got a email from an old friend;, i use that term lightly lol that where she tried to send a secret virus to my computer to steal control or take 1IL from me, it failed to work but I applauded her efforts at taking an online game so serious;y that she was willing to commit an international crime. thankfully her programming skills were just as poor as her LNS skills.