The Goose Stranding

THE GOOSE STRANDING

(This has 0 relevancy to everything I will say.)

Hello!

To start off straight, I’m not running for Delegate. This is another one of those “spreading ideas” campaigns. I don’t know why I keep writing these types of campaigns as I approach closer and closer to armchair status, and less and less likely to do anything meaningful. But! Might as well, right?

The primary idea behind all my other ideas is simple: we should attempt changing our government perspective from whatever hodgepodge thing it is to how we can use the government as a platform to bolster the community.

The thing about being in a region is that ultimately a regional government has one focus: providing something the community needs. Obviously, these needs vary per each region’s reality and vision, but any good NS government ultimately addresses these needs.

In TEP’s case, what the community needs is a) a way to play NS together with other TEPers in R/D, WA, FA, etc. and b) acting as a mediator between TEP’s various sub-communities to unite them under the one general community of the East Pacific.

The Executive is the main player in that regard. The Conclave, the Praesidium, the Magisterium - all of them are more focused on protecting the region and giving people the opportunities to do niche things. The Executive is the accessible, open arm of the government that both does the most and allows the most upwards mobility. If there’s any government entity that needs to address community needs, it’s the Executive.

So, let’s explore each Ministry.

Culture is probably the most integral Ministry under this perspective, because its focused on holding events - which is something people like doing often. People like attending events as well.

So the questions behind culture should be “what would we like to do as a ministry/people” and “what do we think our friends would enjoy doing”. Whatever matches those two questions - do it.

If you try making Culture an event-making ministry focused on excessive volume (which is often our aim), culture often becomes slog work. And when Culture isn’t pumping out a ton of events, it’s a failure. This is a dichtomy that seemingly encourages burnout.

Also, if someone’s doing an event on their own - pull them into the Ministry and offer to help promote what they’re doing. Boosting community events and community ideas makes the government more belonging to and representative of everyone, rather than those few already doing gov work.

Being a diplomat is boring - all you do is send reports and bring in updates. Considering that’s the extent of the job description, it’s no surprise we’ve been at a constant diplomat shortage. (I mean, this is probably a by-product of potentially having way too many relationships and other factors as well, but that’s another discussion).

Obviously, this is a difficult question to answer and I don’t really have a true solution. But it is a question we (by we, I mean mostly Libertanny from what I’ve seen) have been pushing to answer, and we (I really mean we this time) need to continue finding the answer for. Find a way to make FA fun for people.

But if I had to suggest somethings, first I’d state the main purpose of our FA as I currently see it - which are to benefit our region by forming friendships that either benefit us security-wise, community-wise, or both. There may be more of a recent push to manage how we’re perceived and chase FA goals beyond friendship building, but I’m not in IC-FA so idrk.

Anyways, one thing I can think of is switching ambassadors every month or so. Essentially, any ambassador who hasn’t really bonded with their region they’re assigned to will be sent to another one, and so on and so forth. Eventual goal is to have that diplomat (hopefully) ingrain themselves into a region - thereby making FA work more fun. It’s what happened to me and UDS, at least, and I imagine other diplos as well. Basically cycle these “loose” diplomats until hopefully they land somewhere they enjoy vibing in.

Second is probably to try making FA decisions more accessible to diplomats. Obviously, this balances with our security needs and whatnot - but meta-analyzing GP is one of the fun parts of FA, and including diplomats in that process as much as possible will make being a diplomat more enjoyable. One thing I’ve seen Dilber from TWP mention when he was Delegate is essentially “teaching” FA to diplomats using live examples from GP - in what he was referring to, the Force dilemma. Mayhaps something like that could be of good value for us to mimic.

Just do R/D ops. People who like R/D will come and vibe. Offering badges and fancy titles may help with retention, but ultimately R/D is highly niche and we just need to keep recruiting and hope we find those rare souls who like sitting for hours on late nights maniacally pressing buttons

EPNS is a bit difficult to consider, mostly because my suggestion is something we already attempt constantly. Yet, nonetheless - what I propose is to simply continue getting people to write up anything TEP-related that they’re interested in. Is there a Magister interested in making a legislative update? Ask them to write it. Someone interested in learning more about TEP’s history? Perhaps ask them to interview someone. Forum RPer/RMB RPer particularly proud of an RP they’re doing? Have them write up a synopsis of their RP. Someone with a particularly strong opinion in an on-going gov debate? Ask them to write up an opinion article.

The most important thing for writing (at least, in a hobby-like space like NS) is writing for oneself. So make EPNS a way for people to share their thoughts and opinions on TEP-related things - a place where people can yell about stuff on a region-wide level and hope someone somewhere resonates with it or at least finds it as interesting as they do. Like all writing!

(All of this applies to podcasts as well - which have been pretty awesome to see happening!)

The fun thing about doing WA stuff is discussing it. Afterall, most of us came to this site in the first place because we wanted to build a nation, and the WA is a more macroscopic version of that. Also, we like arguing about things we care about (so its no surprise a lotta people like arguing about WA things).

WAA primarily needs to focus on driving discussions on WA matters. How it does it is a difficult question that has been experimented on and will simply need more experimentation on until we find a formula that works - even if just for a while. One thing that may help, though, is for the WAA Minister to provide their own opinion on a resolution that’s at vote. If you offer an opinion, people tend to like disproving it if they disagree with it - thereby, leading to discussion.

Also, no more FA overrides for WA stuff. They suck, and we have various tools at our disposal to build relations. We don’t need to sacrifice our WA votes as one of them.

Also, could look into card events to raise endorsements. Seems to work in a lotta places, and we got card farmers. People like cards and we like endorsements - fair trade! :stuck_out_tongue:

REWARD needs to be rebooted but that’s something for the coding people to do.

IDK UTEP that well, but from what I can see it’s still primarily a discussion place. So yeah - just continue encouraging discussion. If someone has a cohesive opinion on something, maybe ask them to write something formal for UTEP archives. Bring in people who may wanna have the kind of debates UTEP wants to have. UTEP seems to be doing things right.

We can run all the ads we want. We can run all the mentorship programs we want. We should run all those things and the other things we want. But ultimately, recruitment is most effective when it comes to direct contact.

Ideally, Outreach would be telegramming every newbie - but that’s an impossible demand. So is DMing every single person who joins the Discord. Most people don’t have the time or will for that (as shown this previous term, given this was Outreach’s goal but not much hasn’t panned out from it because people just don’t have that much time). Yet, again - direct recruitment is the most effective thing to do. So, what to do?

I imagine a new perspective for Outreach as a Ministry that facilitates the above Ministries’s missions. Is someone really great at writing factbooks or maybe someone who wants to share their RP with others? Outreach can help connect said individual to EPNS. Is someone asking for what people think of the WA resolution at vote? Guide them to MoWAA’s discussion area. Is there someone willing to discuss politics, or someone extremely knowledgeable about something that may contribute to discussion? Guide them to UTEP! Someone particularly social? Guide them to FA.

To summarize the above, perhaps a different direction to take Outreach rather than thinking of it as a constant welcoming and DMing machine is seeing Outreach as a connector between the community and available opportunities. Both on a macro level (advertisements, mentorship programs, guide maintaince), but also on a micro level (paying attention to what’s going on in the region and offering government services to people to complement what they’re already doing/who they are). Obviously, this means Outreach’s Minister should be a part of all parts of TEP (or at least, willing to delve into areas they haven’t before).

In short, instead of viewing Outreach as recruitment, it should be seen as a connector of opportunities and mutual interest. Just an idea, anyways.

Outreach should also probably review STEP and other resources and see they’re up to date.

As Marrabuk often said during his Delegacy - “Our region, our home, our family! One united front!”

When we say The East Pacific is a community, it includes our roleplayers. We haven’t forgotten that, but I also feel we’ve become a bit jaded with what we tend to view as low engagement from the RP side with the government trying hard for 2+ years to cater to them.

I’m here to say that we should keep trying regardless, as we currently are. Basically a word of encouragement, I guess.

For the RMB, a great thing to consider would be events primarily hosted on game-side. Polls are one massive thing. QoTDs should be done more routinely. (Both of those things could potentially be done by RMBers!) Perhaps pinning Valsora on the regional mainpage.

For Forum RP, consistent reminders to maintain Voter Registration - many RPers seem to be dipping from regularily voting, which is fine enough until the majority of non-RPer voters elect someone who may not really care about the RP communities as much. OFC, continue advertising podcasts. Maybe EPNS article highlighting notable RPs every month. Pinning an Urth map dispatch alongside Valsora.

Small things! The divide between the roleplay communities and the general+government community will always exist and that’s alright, but we can always, always, do our best to mitigate it. Take a sign of low engagement as an invitation to try something new - not as a sign to give up or rest on our laurels. The more united we are, the better.

To re-state everything, instead of TEP’s Executive worrying about how it will perpetuate itself (which, to be clear, is a natural concern of any regional government but shouldn’t be the overriding concern if a region isn’t in crisis. We are not.), the Executive should worry more about how it can function as a vehicle for community development. This will, in turn, get people more involved and give rise to more government leaders - thus keeping everything going.

At least, that’s the vision of government I’ve developed over these two years since I was elected Delegate. Whether it’s actionable or even useful is up for debate, I guess. Maybe it’s useless. Maybe this is the Executive’s current vision and I’m just stupid. Whatever the case - it’s an idea.

Anyways, I won’t say this will be my last Delegate campaign because it probably won’t, but considering my free time in NS has basically died… I doubt I’ll be doing anymore substantial NS stuff for the next few months to come up with any more meaningful/useful ideas. And I’m probably already too split from the current realities of the Executive to know what needs to happen - I’m mostly stating this on my past experiences in TEP + other regions alongside what I’ve observed in recent TEP.

All of this is to say - yes. I’m aware I’m not the best person to speak on Executive stuff. So take my thoughts or leave them, up to ya.

Anyways, ask questions! Lemme know if you think this is a good idea or bs.

Peace!

Image Credits
1 Like

As WA Affairs Minister I’ve felt otherwise limited in what I can do with the Ministry with it being tied to Foreign Affairs. Mainly would personally love to see it become its own ministry again.

I always appreciate your information campaign nonetheless. However, I’ve some questions on the execution of some of these.

Regarding FA, cycling diplomats is a valid idea on paper, but I can easily see this being difficult in practice. How can we accomlish this without making FA high maintenance to the council, confusing to the diplomats, and worrysome (re: turnover) to our embassies?

Regarding WA, why should FA be neglected in the WA? I ask especially since, at least in the past four months, TEP’s decisions in the WA have mattered more than ever, especially in regards to our continued relations and perception of our alignment. WAA and FA should be working together more to make informed decisions with the FA context, similar to the style I employed in my delegacy. With this, instead of information being locked where only FA knows what’s going on, which I imagine is the stimulus for this, the voters are educated (this helps your education portion of FA too I imagine) on the interregional impact they’d otherwise be less aware of.

Uh haha is it still down

Um

Uh

Erm

I’ll look into it this weekend but I was trying to host it permanently on TEP’s AWS box. Haven’t figured out a way to make it start yet. But it’ll return! Yep

1 Like
  1. Probably not doing it more than once every month or two, and communication with everyone involved. And asking diplomats for their consent before moving them. If a region reeaaally wants a long term diplo, we can send someone we can trust to post updates at least.

There may be better ideas out there that arent as high maintenance. But I think the general goal is to focus on making being a diplomat fun.

1. I should clarify and say that I dont oppose educating our voters and factoring into our decisions FA. I just strongly oppose the practice of trading our WA vote with other regions. At best we shrug and vote on something, at worst we get tangled up in peoole getting mad at us for not doing what they say when we ultimately lean towards doing our own thing anyways. So to me it just seems better to avoid that entire hassle. That doesn’t preclude us from considering FA in our vote, its mostly to stop us from getting into annoying situations with our friends that we don’t really need to get into, we just choose to.

There is a downside to this though, in that if we won’t entertain requests from our friends then we can’t reasonably expect them to entertain requests from us, which may make things like C/Cing our own peeps harder. Personally I do think it’s worth it, but I admit this idea of not-dealing-with-WA-requests may go against that FA goal of more power projection that has been cropping up lately, which is something campaigning for C/Cs plays a part in.

Hello.

I’ve seen a lot of blame being pointed at Shadow - for current state of things. Kindly note, that I am not saying you stand behind this - it’s just that seeing it provoked this message to appear. This itches me a lot, as it’s not The East Pacific I fought for pre- and during the coup. We were a team, we had one another’s backs - what happened to it?

1. It’s easy to run for a Delegate, promise a new tomorrow and blame previous Delegate for the current state of things. But TEP differs - we are a community run by people for people. Let me ask this: For the last four months, what did you do to make TEP a better place?

2. In a world where fuckups happen, how would you make sure, that The East Pacific remains a team, where we don’t just find a black sheep to put a blame on and move on?

3. Say you are not elected the Delegate, but instead one of your candidates is.
    3A. What’s your plan for the next 4 months?
    3B. How will you help TEP fight the apathy and inactivity?
    3C. How will you help TEP become a team again?
    3D. How will you help fix WA issues?

4. Say your Minister is underperforming. You know they can work real hard and have a resume of several impressive achievements. Yet their current life situation highly limited their ability to perform well. What do you do?

5. Say your Minister is in a really bad mental state - high stress amount, lowered confidence, burnout. What do you do?

6. You share ideas in this thread. Did you share them with the Delegate through last 4 months? If not, why?

7. Lastly. Our current Delegate has a low amount of endorsements, compared to previous Delegates. I saw claims saying, that I spent days and nights endotarting and stuff. It’s false. I did do efforts (endotarting, REWARD, DMing people), but I also had a team of people working alongside me to increase our endocount (they were running REWARD, sending Telegrams, DMing people, running endo-campaigns, creating dispatches, welcoming newcomers and asking them to join WA). So the question is: how did you help the current Delegate increase their endorsement count?

It’s easy to run for a Delegate, promise a new tomorrow and blame previous Delegate for the current state of things. But TEP differs - we are a community run by people for people. Let me ask this: For the last four months, what did you do to make TEP a better place?

Nothing substantial. Which is why I probably wouldn’t have run for Delegate even if I did have time.

Only thing I did was propose a few bills, give Shadow some advice as a friend in F-squad, move a large portion of the Conclave subforums, maintain the TEP Delegate portraits, and now am working on Minister history. So ultimately, not really much honestly.

In a world where fuckups happen, how would you make sure, that The East Pacific remains a team, where we don’t just find a black sheep to put a blame on and move on?

Because I hate miscrediting people and I also very much hate bringing people down (unless it’s myself, lmao). I don’t like blaming things on people, and most things are truly not really caused by one individual, but a series of causes.

However, as I said - I dislike miscrediting people. If someone is the primary cause of something, I will (probably) call it out. Not in a way to make them feel guilty, but I feel that we can’t wash away accountability. If you incorrectly call an issue as something that is a team’s fault when it is rather the fault of just one individual, then that individual will continue doing the same thing and you’re unlikely to resolve the problem.

But there’s that. Another thing I have been actively doing is calling out passive aggression when I’ve seen it. It’s cropped up a bit in our government arguments and it is ruining team dynamics, which is why I’ve been opposing that.

3A. What’s your plan for the next 4 months?

Finish writing some laws, try welcoming people on Discord again, continue doing ambassador stuff, and otherwise nothing.

3B. How will you help TEP fight the apathy and inactivity?

Nothing major. My free time is limited as is my will to do NS, and whatever little (and I will very heavily stress little) I can do is focused on UDS right now. However, as I said - I’ve become a Discord welcomer again if that counts. And the ideas I’m presenting in this campaign hopefully would tackle inactivity concerns.

Truthfully I’m not really sure how to tackle apathy, because in my time of TEP TEP was either disunited or had just been couped. We’re in a time now where we need to figure something else out that will bring our region together.

3C. How will you help TEP become a team again?

Combat passive aggressivism. Try to be more open to other’s ideas (this is something I’ve personally seen myself being, a bit more closed off/defensive/aggressive, so I’ve started trying to back down on that). So, ig - lead by example?

3D. How will you help fix WA issues?

My only plan to address WA issues in any form is offer my feedback for any SC resolution draft commending or condemning a TEPer.

I have no wish to telegram people to get endorsements to the Delegate. I tried doing that for Aivintis and stopped after one day. I’m also not really interested in discussing WA stuff right now.

1. Say your Minister is underperforming. You know they can work real hard and have a resume of several impressive achievements. Yet their current life situation highly limited their ability to perform well. What do you do?

I’d probably wait a week after a required task and see if they’re still not doing it. If they aren’t, I’d DM them and see what’s up, where they’re at, what we can do. Honestly if they put a good faith effort and get some stuff done, that’s all I really care about. I don’t believe in pumping out content everyday, but I do believe Ministers need to get some work done.

Ultimately, if their life situation means they aren’t able to meet a bare minimum standard, I’d probably suggest to them the possibility of resigning and work with them to find a replacement.

1. Say your Minister is in a really bad mental state - high stress amount, lowered confidence, burnout. What do you do?

I’d initially do what I said before - wait a week or a few days and message them. Fact is people tend to seemingly be good at hiding their mental health, so I’d only really notice through a lack of performance. But once I do learn about it, I’d probably first try talking them through it (as much as a 19 yr old boy can anyways). Like the underpreforming Minister, I’d give them multiple chances to try working things out.

But ultimately, like the burned out Minister - if they can’t do the job, it’s best for them to not do it until they’re ready to do so. So I’d bring up the possibility of resigning and work with them to get a replacement.

You share ideas in this thread. Did you share them with the Delegate through last 4 months? If not, why?

The vast majority of my ideas I just kinda brainstormed on the spot, or its stuff I’ve said before. For the overall vision and my FA-related ideas, Outreach related ones, and the thingy about WA minister giving opinions… honestly, I just didn’t think about sharing them. It wasn’t some devious plan to save them for this election considering I’m not running, it’s just things I just didn’t think to share until rn, tbh - even though those specific ideas, I have thought of before.

1. Lastly. Our current Delegate has a low amount of endorsements, compared to previous Delegates. I saw claims saying, that I spent days and nights endotarting and stuff. It’s false. I did do efforts (endotarting, REWARD, DMing people), but I also had a team of people working alongside me to increase our endocount (they were running REWARD, sending Telegrams, DMing people, running endo-campaigns, creating dispatches, welcoming newcomers and asking them to join WA). So the question is: how did you help the current Delegate increase their endorsement count?

Nothing. And I don’t plan on helping the next Delegate.

Because frankly, while I do wish we had more endorsements and firmly believe the Delegate should work towards it, it’s not important enough for me to justify trying to burn myself out further doing what is essentially an easy job the person directly elected for office should be doing.

In regards to your Delegacy, fair enough, but then it means you didn’t do a part of your job as well as you should. And I can tell you that out of the things you listed, the only thing that probably explains why you had such high endorsements was a mix of me and you endotarting for you.

Creating dispatches doesn’t help after a certain point, as a former Vizier who tried using them when I was the second endorsed in the region. Discord welcomming and DMing can’t be the difference, because AFAIK TEP hasn’t changed how it welcomes people between Aurora and Shadow. REWARD can’t be the cause either, because when REWARD was working Shadow’s peak was 608. Aurora’s was 806.

The only thing that raises endorsement counts to excessive is daily endotarting. Everything else helps, but only to an extent (and a much smaller one than daily endotarting). And IMO: daily endotarting is a job the Delegate should undertake themself, because it only takes a few minutes of dedication each day. It’s not something that needs a seperate person to be done. Hell, two months ago I managed to do it and got to 300 endorsements in two weeks.

All of this is to say: I appreciate your calls to teamwork and whatnot. But I also believe in accountability, and leaving credit (good and bad) to where its due. Yes, no one really helped Shadow like I helped you, and that does inherently make us complciit in Shadow’s low endo count (in the same way a Delegate going AWOL and doing nothing makes us complicit in Executive inactivity because no one will really step into their shoes as Delegate until an official Acting Delegate is chosen) - the pure fact is, the common expectation is the Delegate should be the one making a daily commitment to endotart (the Delegate is partially elected with the idea they’ll meet that standard), and Shadow is not meeting that.

I do want to emphasize that Shadow is a great person and, IMO, has been doing great things as Delegate - particularily in FA. That will not stop me from bringing up their failures and hoping they address it to improve their Delegacy. In the same way I hope people will learn from the mistakes of mine, or yours, or any of our successors or predecessors.

I do appreciate your message, to be clear. We should absolutely fix things on a community level and as a team, because most issues are just that - team issues. But we should not stray from calling out the mistakes of individuals and we should avoid marking such mistakes as mistakes of the region. That will only lead to a downgrade of whatever tendency towards accountability TEP currently has, because it will turn our focus away from the actual problem with solutions that won’t work or won’t be as effective as addressing the source directly.

Im dropping out as planned, gl to the candidates uwu