The International Sealab AU

Roughly ten years ago, nations in The East Pacific, in order to understand and study at previously unlivable depths, came together to build an International Sealab, a facility used to further education and development in the region, as well as strengthen bonds in the realm.

The building, which consists of various ‘sections’ built and designed by different nations, is connected via a series of tubes (no pun intended) and, in some cases, is joined wall-to-wall. The facility is massive, providing sufficient space for some 50-60 people to live comfortably for an extended period of time. Central to the lab is a greenery where plants and vegetation can grow (as well as supply sufficient oxygen), and a cafeteria where all scientists may eat. Classrooms also exist for students wishing to learn more about the sea on a more personal basis. Sleeping quarters and living quarters are located in the central section as well. Here’s some pictures:

Living quarters, located on the Central Section.

Inside an occupant’s living quarters.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/17/gal_hotel_underwater.jpg
Cafeteria / eating location A (B is a lesser cafeteria)

View from a gathering room, overlooking the living quarters.

((OOC, you get the picture)).

Various underwater subs / diving equipment have been fashioned exclusively, donated by various nations, for the advancement of underwater exploration and discovery.

What this means in the Zombie Apocalypse ((OOC))
Essentially, some time has passed and there are folks still down in the lab, scientists and the like from different nations. Upon thinking up plots for such an apocalypse, it dawned on me that these guys would still be down here and, barring any problems with the residents or integrity of the lab, should be pretty safe for the time being. They do have an outlet for news, though, in the form of various channels and the likes from satellite. So it should be kind of interesting to see how this all develops: will they try to survive as people completely free of infection, turn on each other, turn into the Donner Party at 20,000 feet, etc? Stay tuned to find out.

Basically, if your character wasn’t in the old Sealab RP (The one that kind of died out, http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=6806), just make a new one. Timeframe isn’t known at this point, but I would assume at least a year has passed, and they might be aware that something bad is going on above surface, hence their desire to stay under longer than anticipated.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7528/arbbd.png
With a quick jolt from her index finger, Elana Navinsku wiped some steam from the left lens of her glasses, monitoring the temperature of the various soils of selected plants through small thermocouples reading out temperatures in tiny liquid crystal displays. It wasn’t every day she checked the readings, but it was something to keep her mind off the current situation. She honestly couldn’t remember how long she’d been away from the surface, but news reports from the television and radio suggested everyone should be prepared for a long stay.

“People weren’t meant to go this long without direct sunlight,” she sighed as she bit the tip of her pen, writing the temperatures down on a clipboard containing a sheet of paper. “Not even you guys.” Using the edge of her pen, she lifted one of the leaves of a plant known to her only by its Latin name, the language of science. Smiling, she brushed off the leaf as another misty spray of water caught her off guard, causing her to stumble backwards and nearly knock over another row of plants.

Due to the events caused in Dveria, the Vekaiyun government had put any experimentation on the back burner and decided to focus on the efforts of containing the odd strain of virus unleashed upon the world. Consequently, she was the only one of her kind on board. Of course, it would be impossible to send anyone else from her nation to the lab - Almighty knows who all was infected, if any.

Regaining her composure, she once again wiped her lenses and bent her knees to look at another temperature read out. “I should get out of here quick, before I end up accidentally killing us all.”

“Professor Dar’ruhr! We need you now!”
Joesph Dar’ruhr looked up from his clipboard. The panicked form of one of his research assistants Fred McKelvie stood before him.
“What is it Mr. McKelvie?” Joesph sighed, “Has Donald been drinking the aniseed solution again?”
“No. Nothing to do with Donald. It’s an urgent message from ABCES (Department of Arts, Broadcasting, Culture, Entertainment and Sports), specifically the Science Funding and Regulatory Commission!”
“Ah…I wonder what do they want?”

The two headed down to their living quarters to use one the computer terminal to check the message. It consisted of a tersely worded email.

— Begin quote from ____

To: jdarruhr1@centraldannistaan.ac.dn
Subject: URGENT Regarding the situation on the surface

This is an urgent advisory notice to all Dannistrian science personnel working outside of Dannistaan. Please be aware with immediate effect the Central Government has decided to impose travel further restrictions on all modes of travel outside of the Dannistrian mainland. The Central Government has also issued an advisory that the virus on the surface may be mutating according to unconfirmed reports.

Specific advice follows for different locations:
East Pacific Sealab: Under no circumstances should any unauthorised personnel be admitted to the lab. Any further supplies will be sent by sealed autonomous delivery submersibles until further notice. Should the lab integrity be compromised, you have permission to carry out the sealed evacuation orders as detailed in the red envelope marked with the number “2”.

— End quote

“Hmm…red envelope number 2 huh? Clandestine…” Joesph mumbled, “I’m going to inform Elana what we’ve been told. Hopefully we will not need to carry it out but if things are really that bad up there.”
“But zombies can’t reach us underwater, right?” Fred asked, a worried look in his face.
“Never say never,” Joesph said as he went in search of Elana Navinsku…

Stepping out of the plant room, Elana was quick to press the button on the side of the wall which immediately caused the door behind her to close downwards. Since the plant room was much warmer than the hallway, her glasses collected condensation on the lenses. Naturally, this always had to happen. It didn’t have to make sense - she was always under the impression it should happen the other way around but, of course, they fogged up any chance they got. Consequently, she was near blind without them. She took her glasses off and began to clean them, using her other hand to guide along the walls of the hallway. Once Elana reached the entrance to a gathering room, she spotted two men approaching her.

“H-hello there,” she replied, still fiddling with her lenses. By now, English was more familiar to her than her own Unonian tongue, as no one else but her seemed to speak the language in the lab. The sinking feeling of being marooned in a bubble under the ocean sped such a process. She didn’t anticipate leaving such a place anytime soon, a feeling which secretly depressed her. Still, more important than the warm sun was her science. Even if the world above them could deteriorate, her studies would at least keep going.

“Hi,” she replied again, working on the other lens with a small cloth from her pocket.

“Hello, Ms. Navinsku,” Joseph extended a hand in friendship, “I’m not sure if we were introduced at the official induction when we arrived at the sealab but I’m Professor Joseph Dar’ruhr, this is my assistant Fred McKelvie. We are part of the Dannistrian delegation sent to this Sealab. I believe the current senior personnel member responsible for emergencies in the lab is yourself? I apologise if we are mistaken, however we need to speak to yourself regarding the situation on the surface.”

She laughed slightly, then tried to cover it up in an attempt to be polite. “I’m not really anything senior, to be honest, but I was one of the first to get here. Nevertheless, it’s a pleasure to meet you both.” She paused as she remembered what the professor asked her. “Alright, Professor Dar’ruhr. It seems to be the only thing on everyone’s mind around here anyway, sadly.” She sighed. “I try not to think about it too much, but I’ll help in any way I can. What do you have to show me?”

“Basically, we have received a message from the Governmental department that supports our adventures down here,” Joseph said, pausing to wipe his brow with shirt sleeves. “The message says we are to be wary of anyone not authorised to enter the lab complex and that to avoid any chance of infection they will be sending future supplies via remote unmanned submersible vehicles rather from now until further notice.”

Joseph paused as Fred fidgeted uncomfortably behind him.
“It also advised in no uncertain terms that if the integrity of the lab was compromised to the extent that it is no longer safe to remain here, we are to follow a set of sealed evacuation orders in a red envelope marked with the number ‘2’. Now, I’m not sure if it is a specific Dannstrian thing or an international thing, as I’m sure I was never handed any envelopes as part of this assignment, but I do recall the lab administrator had a box with some sealed documentation in them. Is this is what they are referring to? Personally, I think our Government is making it sound like some clandestine military operation with that language. If this involves some stupid action movie cliché where we run for our lives to some escape sub, I’m not going to be too impressed,” he sighed.

Elana frowned. “But where would we run to? There’s nothing else out there that’s safe anymore, or that will be safe for a long time, I’ve heard. I don’t know for sure, though. We’re all kind of down here when all of this is going on high above us, waiting for something to happen.”

“I was informed by my government to follow their orders, but… I haven’t received anything personal for about four months now.” She sighed. “It’s awkward. I don’t really know what’s going on over there anymore. All I know is the images from the news aren’t good at all, and all TV broadcasts shut down around 10 PM, only to all switch on around six in the morning to people dead, firefighters trying to put out buildings on fire, and bombs going off like it’s Independence Day all over again.” Her gaze carried to the ground. “It’s all so surreal. Like an experiment gone wrong. Don’t you both feel that way?”

Brushing the question off, her gaze carried her to one of the windows gazing out to endless ocean. “As for preventing people from coming in or out, I know some of the people here, but I’m usually outside of the lab during parts of the day, because my research requires it. So if ever there’s a need for someone to stand by the airlock, that’d probably be me.” She laughed. “But I doubt I’d really be able to do anything about it! I’m not really brawny… more thin and… tough.” She tried to flex her skinny arms, but bumped an elbow on the window and quickly returned her hands to her side.

“Personally, I think our own Government hasn’t really thought this through,” Joseph sighed. He paused again to take out a small silver pocket watch to check the time, “Not at all. I think when they said not let anyone in or out, I think they meant watch out for unauthorised subs trying to dock with the complex, or even if someone is knocking on the outer main airlock. I think someone at home has been watching too many zombie action movies, if you ask me,” Joseph snorted, “I don’t think we need to worry about zombies crawling along the seabed. As for where we run to, maybe they expect us to run out the airlock and hold our breath?” he remarked sarcastically. This elicited some laughter.

“On a more serious note, what is this sealed order number 2 then? Presumably it will detail how we get out if there is a problem. Or is this going to be one of those stupid ‘hit the big red self destruct button’ type tropes? I hope not, but then, given how crazy things are going up on the surface, you never know…”

She laughed. “Yeah, or maybe arm ourselves with crowbars in case the breech the station!” Elana was quick to accept the gravity of the situation as she cleared her throat. “I… don’t really know what sealed order number two could be. I might have seen a red envelope lying around here, but I don’t go snooping into affairs my nose shouldn’t be in, and when something is colored red, it typically means to me ‘don’t touch’. At least, that’s how nature goes about things under here, what with the lionfish and poisonous anemone. Get stung out there at a far enough distance, and you’re as good as gone. But I’m sure you knew that, Professor. I’m just rambling.”

With a quick motion, she picked up the bridge of her glasses, as they had slid down her nose during her speech. “Seriously, though. I guess it could be anything at this point. It could even include instructions from my nation - I don’t know. All I do know is something very weird is going on up there, and I don’t think they’re telling us everything. Politics aren’t really my thing, but if something bad is happening… I think I’d like to know rather than let my imagination make asinine assumptions. Have you spoke to anyone else on the matter?”

“I have not, no,” Joseph remarked, “I think I might have a word with the administrator of the lab later though. And I agree. I tend to avoid anything coloured red as well. Back home, if it is red, both in nature and in man made areas, you learn to avoid it, as you said.”

Fred nodded slowly.
“Speaking of Lionfish, that name gives me the chills,” Joseph admitted, “I had a nasty encounter with one once…but I’d rather not talk about it.”

After a short pause, Joseph spoke again.
“That reminds me, have you happened to see one of my other assistants, a guy called Donald Haynes? Short guy, white skin with short blonde hair? He was supposed to be back here with a report of sea water salinity. But he seems to have been gone an awful long time.”

“Any progress this time, Ai?” asked a young man calmly meditating in the corner of a lab room
“What do you think? Geez, i don´t know how you can stay that calm when the world is going mad around us!” answers an angry Ai
"Fear leads to anger, and anger leads to… agh
A bad joke at a bad time brings Ai over the edge and she jumps at Friedrick and starts to slap at him, crying and saying “How can you joke about it, you idiot!”
Friedrick then holds her arm firmly and says with a wink “Y´know, if you want it that badly to jump on top of me, we could just go to my room…”
Shocked by this, she stops and, after reminding how she was the one who taught him that he should always go through everything with a smile, she suddenly starts laughing (still crying though) and after calming down she says: “You really got me this time, eh?”
“Learned from the best.”
“I…i´m sorry for…”
“No harm done. But you should take a break. You´re not saving the world by working until you faint. I even lost count of how many hours went by since the last time you slept.”
“35…and counting!” She tries a smile. “But you´re right… I can´t sleep… Not went i think on how many are dying out there, but i´m just losing control like this. I know. I´ll stop working for now. Let´s go to the rest room, a snack and a chat might get me on the mood for sleep.”
“Aye, ma´am”

She shook her head. “I don’t think so. But I might have. Many people seem to be about today. I think people are getting increasingly antsy over the entire situation on surface.” She let out a soft sigh. “I don’t blame them, of course. But at least we have our work to keep us company and keep us occupied.”

“I see,” Joseph replied, “Well, it has been nice chatting to you. I won’t hold you up. I’m sure Donald will reappear somewhere here. It’s not like he can go anywhere else. I wish you good luck on your research.”