The times are shifting

Ikrisia sat at her computer, late at night, concerned with the general sentiments of the deteriorating situation in Allegheny. Her forces had put up a strong front along the Vekaiyun border with Allegheny, winding down to the Packilvanian border and the Smigsachenweiz border, just to be careful. British Grand Pacific forces were amassed at the border as well, along with Alleghenian nationals who were coming in by the thousands, some camped near the border, others put on trains bound for settlement in Isklevyu.

She was aware of South Hills having troops ready to open another front to the west. In addition, the Council of Nations was starting to grasp the situation. It seemed almost inevitable that something would happen to their neighbors to the east, and, chances are, if something did happen, the nation may not be worth saving.

Finally, she had heard of Prussia apparently agreeing to join the Hive. It was unusual to see such activity, but one that she had to accept. It was something she definitely did not want to see - a separate theater would be difficult to handle for her allies. Something else had to be done.

So, she elected to writing up an email.

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

I believe the past few months have proved that any sort of annexation with Allegheny will result in a long, drawn-out conflict. Many nations in and around the planet do not agree with such actions, and are therefore prepared to stop it. This includes the native Alleghenians. It’s a conflict that I frankly do not wish to divulge in, and will most likely result in the complete destruction of the nation. No one wants that.

In lieu of that, I am prepared to do the following. Should you leave your claim of Allegheny, I will accept your claim to Prussia. I believe other nations may follow suit. In my opinion, this is the path that will lead to the least amount of destruction and will lead to an overall improvement of sentiments on the planet.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

The Northern Grand Duchy – Capital City of New Irem
The Hill – Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Ileana De Corde sighed. Looking out of the window, she observed the still falling snow. If only times weren’t shifting so quickly, she thought. Or at least if only that eternal mess of the central regions could just be swallowed by the depths and disappear from the planet. Possibly together with the Hive.

Shaking her heads, she sighed again. It wouldn’t have become that simple. She knew it… and she was wasting her own time.

«Ok, the time has come» she told to herself.

Hopefully, the foxes wouldn’t have allowed such a nonsense. It would have have meant war. Again. And again. Another time. The region wouldn’t have withstood it: they simply couldn’t surrender Allegheny. And to the hell those foolish radicals.

Activating the interphone, she didn’t even waited for her attendant’s usually polite answer.

«Vekaiyu. Ikrisia Levinile. The sooner, the better»

Putting down the receiver, she sighed again. The snow was still falling.

Ikrisia was notified of a call. From Reziel. She was well-aware of the nation’s placement in EPTO, perhaps it was concerned with the recent growth of the Kerilo Accord and their trade. Nevertheless, she decided to answer it.

“This is Premier Levinile, yes. To whom am I speaking with?”

— Begin quote from ____

Ms. Levinile

I must point out, that it was the Prussians who came to us. I do understand your concern. Might I suggest a meeting between us, or at the least our senior ambassadors? This seems like too important an issue to solve over E-mail. I share your sentiment about avoiding conflict, rest assured. There is no use in a world scorched by nuclear fire.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

It seems we are at an impasse. I will not lose an important ally and trade partner - their complete indepedence must be assured. The initial thought was to surrender the Tasselvaltan portion of the Alleghenian nation and allow the remainder of the state to subsist. With the majority of people from Allegheny against this absorption, and the international community strongly against such a move, I must err on the side of caution. The current situation can quickly change based on the next course of action.

Should you wish to arrange a meeting, one can be provided. I personally remcommend a neutral location that is not on the brink of war, say, Ye’leli, but I am afraid I will not be able to budge from my sentiments. I recommend we formulate one quickly, of course, because the situation in Allegheny is quite volatile and libel to change by the day.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Let us be frank and honest with each other then, as the situation seems to merit. I do not believe that you will attack the Pax Draconica. You will not sacrifice the lives of millions in what will surely escalate into nuclear conflict and beyond. Frankly, I do not wish the devastation of more land on Sol. Parts of the desert are still classified as wasteland from the last great war, and I do not believe the Loop ever got the ghoul problem under control.
Let us discuss then, if we were to accept your proposal, and let the original state subsist, it would lead to civil war in Alegheny. Neither of our peoples want an unstable nation on our borders. Who will step in to quell the violence and bring stability? The Pax? We would be back to square one here. The Veakyun? I cannot stand by and watch one of our oldest military allies be occupied by a power hostile to the Pax, especially as your recent annexations have placed the Veakyun with a larger shared border. So madame Premier, I must ask you for a more amicable solution for both of our peoples.
I am getting old for my race. Let us not fight like cats and dogs <chuckle> in my twilight years. You never know what influence todays actions will have on the future leader of the Hive.

Noi
Hive Mother

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

I believe the Alleghenians are capable of leading themselves. You see the issue as black and white - I see the issue being more complex. Vekaiyu has no interest in Allegheny itself - we do not wish to subvert a longtime trading partner, nor do we wish to accumulate their lands. We are content with their existence. This is why from the very beginning I had offered you to annex the Tasselvaltan lands from Allegheny. Vekaiyu did not ask for territory in return.

No one lined up to support Vekaiyu after its civil war. Should the Alleghenians wish to receive aid, they are capable of choosing where their aid comes from.

As for the Isklevyu lands, that was an annexation performed by The Vekaiyun Union to unite Unonian-speaking individuals and provide them a voice. This annexation is currently being discussed by the Council of Nations. We have no desire for Packilvanian lands. We are our own people, and you are your own people. As long as we remain respective of one another, there will be no problems caused by Vekaiyu.

Finally, you are correct in assuming I do not want a war. But I must warn against underestimating my ability to act - the last nation that made such an error no longer exists.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

At 52, the black of her long hair was now showing threads of silver. Vanity (and the absurd idea to stop time) was unknown to her. And my beloved Grand Duke adores them, after all. But still, I wonder if foxes becomes grey too .

For a brief moment, the Rezielan Ministry of Foreign Affairs had allowed herself a light thought to slip into her mind, but the Veakyun’s voice immediately lead her back to reality. With the Pax Draconica showing the muscles again, the persisting Rezielan involvement in EPTO could have not been a suitable answer. Not enough. Not anymore. Some kind of co-operation with Kerilo was needed.

That, or the Pax will devour us all, bite after bite

«Lady Levinile, Ileana De Corde. I am extremely glad to finally make your acquaintance… even if the occasion is definitely not the one I had hoped for. I’m here to discuss about… let’s define it ‘the Alleghenian issue’. At present moment this one has to be considered as a completely informal meeting but…» a pause, to recall her thoughts «…but the Grand Duchy is interested to understand Kerilo’s possible attitude towards it. Let’s say… to understand if and how a co-operation is possible in order to prevent another expansion of… theirs. The Grand Duchy… or perhaps the whole EPTO»

— Begin quote from ____

Premier, I believe I may have a compromise that would assuage both our fears. I will agree to leave the original Allegheny lands to themselves, provided the old Tasselvaltan lands are annexed directly into Packilvania. We will enter into a Non Aggression Pact with regards to each others sovereign lands. We agree to non military or political interference on both parts in regards to the nations of Allegheny and Sachenvorbund. Any military interference on any nations part in these two lands will give either of our nations/unions casus belli on the interfering nation.

If this is agreeable, the signing of the treaties can happen as soon as administratively possible.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Agreed under the following conditions:
Tasselvaltans only refers to those currently residing in the Allegheny lands, not those previously assimilated.
Tasslevaltans leaving the Pax aquired lands forfeit all rights to landed property. Said land rights will transfer to the state of Packilvania.
While I am not entirely pleased by this outcome, I much prefer it to the Mutually Assured Devastation all parties would likely suffer.

I do believe that after this… situation, the need for old grudges to be left aside is apparent. I would like to us establish embassies soon.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

Those conditions are accepted. But I have one alteration. To ensure the safe passage of Tasselvaltans and to ensure no violence or bedlam is waged against them, I propose that a neutral third party oversee the transition. The Victoria Treaty Organization (VICTOR) is a subsection of the Council of Nations (CoN) charged with peacekeeping and humanitarian oversight. In the interest of preventing further struggles, I believe they would be most qualified for the coming movements of people.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

The Pax Draconica is not party to the Council of Nations, and thereby, I must refuse. I assure you that the Hive, or its allies have no interest in harrasing moving peoples. In the spirit of peace, I would be willing to personaly allow a small contigent of unarmed Veakyun nationals to observe the movements of those that wish to leave.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

If that is what you wish, then a coalition of Vekaiyun and Alleghenian-identifying individuals could aid in the process. I do believe VICTOR would be a better option, as this is apparently what they are designed to do. But, if you wish for us to do the job, then so be it. Vekaiyu can establish groups to streamline this process.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Shall we agree on a 60 day window for said movements to take place? I would also like to offer movement INTO the Pax Draconica for any Tasselvaltan nationals that wish to resettle their old lands.
It looks like we are in agreement, and the issue is decided, barring minor technical issues. I have my ambassadors prepare the neccessary treties and paperwork involved.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Noi,

Provided your personnell will also be unarmed, I can agree to those terms.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Then let us consider this issue resolved and concluded for now. As always, it has been a pleasure.

Noi

— End quote