The Vice-Farewell, or Lerasi’s Closing Statement as VD

Former Vice Delegate Aivintis tipped his comically long top hat to the audience and bowed, before tossing the hat like a frisbee into the crowd. His part was lame, he thought, as he heard a muffled thump in the plaza, but the overall play was rather funny. As he dropped into the audience and took his leave, he made sure to congratulate all of the other OGO winners. They certainly deserved it for everything they had done for the region. He made a mental note to privately thank Serge for everything he had done as well.

After leaving the Plaza, Aivintis strolled casually along the stone path past the government buildings and up his little mountain. It wasn’t a steep climb, and there was still a little bit of a path, but it was certainly out of the way. Once he reached the top he beheld his little retirement cottage - an old rustic thing overlooking the ocean below a cliff face. As he unlocked the door and stepped inside, Aivintis tossed his crimson tailcoat onto a nearby coat rack, revealing his clean white poet shirt (a relic of his immortal life), and slumped into his home office chair.

His computer booted up in front of him. He was no longer a High Official in TEP - and his office was already emptied out - so he would be doing government work from the cottage. He looked at the Order of the Golden Ocelot and the Parrot Award on his desk and smiled. Turning back to the computer, Aivintis began to type his farewell message.

“I can’t believe we’re already electing a new Delegate. I mean it feels like just yesterday that I was appointed second-in-command over the whole Executive branch. Hell, it feels like yesterday that I joined TEP for the first time. But we are, and this is the end of an era.

Now that I’m leaving the office, I think I’m safe to tell you that I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING THE ENTIRE TIME. Like honestly, I was winging half of it and doing the other half based on what I learned from example. From Marrabuk, from Libertanny, from Zukchiva. I honestly can’t believe it worked. But it did.

I remember when Serge reached out to me about appointing me Vice Delegate. He told me he needed an active Vice Delegate, he needed me to be around whenever possible and help whenever possible. I was worried that I couldn’t do it. Not just then, but the entire time. I was worried I would miss something too important for me to miss, or do something wrong that was too important to do wrong. But, strangely, I didn’t.

After the initial shock of the offer and the standard “What will I have to do?” question was answered, I remember the first thing I said was, “Why me?” I didn’t think I would be able to be as good as my predecessors, or to live up to the expectations of me as the second-in-command of such a large institution. But, somehow, I did.

I rarely took initiative. Maybe only during STEP, when I wrote for the RMB - still my favorite part of TEP. But, as Serge pointed out as he repeatedly tried to convince me that I was doing a good job, I was always there. And when Serge was absent, I was there to fill in on giving people the go ahead on their good ideas. I was there when I was needed, and seemingly that was enough.

Now, I’m leaving the office. I’ve practically left already. It is uncertain if the next Delegate will abolish the office or fill it, but either way, I wanted to share my experience, and I wanted to personally thank every single person - in government, forum RP, or the RMB - that helped me in any way, not just in my capacity as Vice Delegate but also in every single aspect of my NS career. You guys are the reason I’m still here.

It may be worth noting that, while I’m leaving the Vice Delegacy and my position as Senior Diplomat, I will not relinquish my positions as Magister, Professor of NS Politics and History, or Diplomat to The Free Nations Region. In fact, I will likely become even more involved in the University. In the FNR, I will be continuing my service as Justice, and I will be lending my legislative ability to fix the Judicial Procedures Act. In Kaer Solas, I will finish up my FA Dispatch and figure where I truly belong within that community. I will also be continuing to focus on RP above all. My goal is one meaningful RP per week, barring complications. TAZE/C and Valsora will have my main attention, but I will try to make a comeback to Urth, as I am already working with Dylan on something involving organized crime. But you did not click on this forum post to hear me ramble about my future, so let me cut myself off right there.

Thank you all, and goodnight.”

Aivintis raised his hands from the keyboard and sat back. Serge’s farewell was issued, and so was his own. He had been awarded for his service, contrary to his initial predictions, and all that awaited was a new horizon and the rising of a new sun in The East Pacific.

I was taciturn in Lib’s thread because he already knows my very, very, very extensive feelings regarding him and his Delegacy. No need to restate everything I’ve already said in the past months- I love him and his work. But I don’t believe I have said how awesome I think you’ve served as VD, so allow me to take this chance:

You’ve served as an exemplary Vice-Delegate, and in all honesty you are the best I have ever seen. Not to say that Bach and Stool weren’t good VDs- I am not aware of what they did in the background but I assume they served their office faithfully. But you took this job and rolled with it to the extreme. You were active, always asking people what they were doing and covering for Libertanny when he was off. You were also very aware of yourself- that survey you posted a month or so ago asking for people’s “satisfaction” with you job is an example of that. In other words, you aren’t arrogant and you hold yourself accountable. In effect, you tried to do the job justice and gave it justice indeed.

One situation which really showed your integrity and pressure under crisis was the SLU coup. This happened during Libertanny’s LOA. When the situation was revealed, you came on and helped guide the Inner Circle of FA to a solid foreign affairs decision. You pulled embassies from SLU and established relations with their new region, you helped write the statement, and in other words you made it so everything was ready and merely awaited Libertanny’s approval. While all the SDs plus ICFA Advisors do deserve their great share of credit in the decision making, you played an insane part in all of it.

Now, I will bring up something here- not to harass you but to further my point of how awesome you are. Many people have encouraged you to run for Delegate, although you ultimately declined to do so in a serious capacity. While that decision should be respected (and is respected by me), I, along with many others, believe that you would be an awesome Delegate. Infact, I firmly believe you would do much better than me- and that’s a very strong opinion of mine. You’re simply that awesome. And I know for a fact that many people both in and out of TEP would fully agree with me.

So thank you for all your service here. You’ve served supremely well as Vice-Delegate and Senior Diplomat. And I know you will continue to be one of the best TEPers ever in RMB RP, the Magisterium, UTEP, as well as the best person ever in all other regions you’re in. You’re awesome, Lerasi, and any region would be absolutely blessed to have you. Can’t wait to see what you do further both in your NS career and your roleplaying.

Also, I’m honored to have been considered one of your models even though I, too, sometimes have no idea what I’m doing and just try to do the best I can. xD But it means a lot.