Thinking Of the Future

I, Mister Leader II of the United States of Mexregiona, proclaim the creation of this soon-to-be great topic of the “Map Information Hub”. This discussion is to be a massive collection of ideas and changes to the map of the region, and is to be the de jure link to knowledge in the geography of the Urth.[hr]SOCIAL CODE OF THE TOPIC:"MAP INFORMATION HUB"1. THE REGIONAL CARTOGRAPHER, IN THIS CASE, SOUTHERN YUGOSLAVIA, WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO LABOR DUE TO THE CREATION OF THIS TOPIC. THEREFORE, UNLESS HE/SHE SPECIFICALLY AGREES, NO EXTRA WORK WILL BE FORCED UPON THE SAID CARTOGRAPHER BECAUSE OF THIS DISCUSSION. THIS LEGISLATION, WHICH CAN BE RENDERED NULL AND VOID IF AGAINST THE CONCORDANT OR THE WILL OF THE MAGISTERIUM AND/OR ANY OTHER PART OF THE TEP GOVERNMENT (INCLUDING THE CARTOGRAPHER HIS OR
HERSELF) HAS BEEN PUT INTO PLACE TO SECURE THE SANITY OF THE REGIONAL CARTOGRAPHER, IF EVER POSSIBLE.
2. THIS TOPIC WILL BE USED MAINLY FOR EDUCATION, BUT HUMOR WILL BE ALLOWED; IT IS TEP, AFTER ALL.
3. ANY FORUM USER WISHING TO ADD TO THIS TOPIC MUST PLEDGE TO THE SOCIAL CODE OF THE TOPIC: “MAP INFORMATION HUB” AS SHOWN:

*I, [insert forum name], hereby pledge to the Social Code of the Topic: "Map Information Hub" willingly. I will respect the Regional Cartographer in this topic and only post information that will aid the topic; I will not spam, troll, et cetera.*

[hr]In fact,
I, United States of Mexregiona, hereby pledge to the Social Code of the Topic: “Map Information Hub” willingly. I will respect the Regional Cartographer in this topic and only post information that will aid the topic; I will not spam, troll, et cetera.[hr] I declare this forum officially open!

Problems will be labeled P. Ideas will be labeled I. For instance, second idea posted for the map: I.2.
To kick this topic off, here are some problems/ideas to discuss:

P.1. What will happen once the Regional Map runs out of free land?

P.2. Who will be the “back-up cartographer” if Southern Yugoslavia steps down?

I.1. What if the Antarctic Area were used as a “waiting zone” for people with claims on the map?

I.2. What if we create an extremely defined map of the region’s biomes?

Remember, these are just things to start off with; you can add things to it if you pledge to the Social Code.

Sure why not.

I, Dragonia (of the Grand Duchy of [region]Dragonia[/region]), hereby pledge to the Social Code of the Topic: “Map Information Hub” willingly. I will respect the Regional Cartographer in this topic and only post information that will aid the topic; I will not spam, troll, et cetera.

“P.1.” I personally don’t see us running out of room on the map anytime soon.

“P.2.” I really don’t have the necessary skill-set to be a cartographer… wish I did, I love maps. ;-}

“I.1.” No … just no … there was a post somewhere while we were discussing Antarctica and we came to a consensus that no nation would ‘have’ a claim on the South Pole. Serenitech was an exception because they are a global multi-corporation not a true-nation per say, and grandfathered in because they were there long before that discussion came about.

“I.2.” I think that did come up at one point, I think Todd or BGP started on it? Don’t really remember.

P.1. I don’t really see that happening either, but, if it ever does, the region as a whole would have to figure something out (expanding the edges of the Urth; making a new map?).

P.2. Same here, actually. I’ve told SY that I would gladly hold up the title, but, just like you, I wouldn’t have the skills required. Maybe the cartographer should take up an apprentice. If the cartographer does decide to that, put me on the list!

I.1. Okay, then. The more you know. —I.1. RETIRED—

I.2. I saw that, too, but I mean really defined. I mean like practically down to the pixel. (A lot of people would have to join in the project, though. I’d be willing to add to it.)

I.3. Two cartographers? Two people; twice the efficiency?

B.T.W. Southern Yugoslavia, you can add to this topic, too. You will have to pledge not to disrespect yourself, though. Kind of a weird thing to do.

I.2. Speaking of which, does anybody reading this know a program where you can create a map for your nation? (Like what you did right here, Dragonia: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonia/detail=factbook/id=346068 .) I’d like to create some illustrations for my nation so I can better use the land itself to create a more believable story-line for my people.

“I.2.” that was done in a PSP program (Paint Shop Pro) the version I have is 9.

All I did is took the Urth map (old version at the time, you can tell by the ocean color), and ‘erased’ the insides and created that as a background.

Then I found a huge huge geographical map of the earth without any writing on it and looked it over until I found what I was looking for when it came to my nations borders and what I envisioned it to look like.

Basically what I did was turned the geographical map on it’s side so the rockies where facing east-west instead of north-south. Then copied the Urth map over it and what I erased inside the borders showed through. Did a little ‘doctoring’ added rivers and and such. Touch upped the mountains around Moondeep and a couple of other places and viola’.

Sounds simple? Not really, lol, took me awile to figure it out. https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592191.9301-smiley.gif?ttinline=true
I know there is a map program out there for rpg games and such called “Fractal Mapper”, it’s not free, and I personally found it difficult to use well. There are probably some more out there too.

I.2. Very interesting. I’ll look into that at some point. Basically, what I’m looking for is just a map-making program that is relatively easy to use and preferably cheap, if not, free (because free is awesome).

I.3. About this, even if SY wanted an apprentice of sorts, I don’t know how the person would be taught.

I, Tuvaltastan, hereby pledge to the Social Code of the Topic: “Map Information Hub” willingly. I will respect the Regional Cartographer in this topic and only post information that will aid the topic; I will not spam, troll, et cetera.

I.4 I feel there should be a thread for each of the eight continents. Don’t know if anyone will see this, but it seemed like the place to put this idea.

I.4. I believe that that would be a very good idea. However, this is a lot of information that would need to go into that thread. What we could do in the future is have a mass of topics that show information about the land and nations and their people. If that were the case, I would start working on Atlantia, as that is the continent that the USM will be placed on. Continents such as Yasteria Major and the newly dominated Aurora would have a massive amount of information, since the amount of people on the continent is so huge. Other continents, like Itur and Antarctica, would have smaller amounts of information due to the fact that Itur is so small and Antarctica legally cannot have claims on the land, except for Serenitech (but I personally don’t know the story of that nation, if it is even what you would call a country).

Serenitech is/was a huge global mega-corporation that has a multi-billion/trillion dollar budget. They make and sell and buy everything and anything for a profit of course. They have their greedy little hands into practically every ‘pie’ on Urth.

Dragonia never liked them, but would deal with them. Serenitech was as far as i could tell, not an environmentally friendly Corporation, if there was a profit in it, they did not care about raping Mother Urth to get it. https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592186.951-smiley.gif?ttinline=true
My two-knuts worth! https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592191.9301-smiley.gif?ttinline=true

Thank you for the wonderful TEP backstory, Dragonia. And, as always:

I.3 What if we instead have a cartographer for every two continents, so instead of having to stress out over the entire map, four people could stress over sections of a map?

P.1. We could take the other habitable planets in the solar system and make maps for them, I suppose. If I remember right, there are two other habitable planets. Correct me if I’m wrong

— Begin quote from ____

P.1. We could take the other habitable planets in the solar system and make maps for them, I suppose. If I remember right, there are two other habitable planets. Correct me if I’m wrong

— End quote

Urth’s solar system was posted in this post here: … http://theeastpacific.com/topic/5232061/2/ … I don’t know if it was ever ‘approved’ … the thread just petered out…

I.3. If that were the case, we would need to start training people. Since SY is just about constantly busy with schoolwork, as of now, that may relieve some of his/her stress (as you said). We could force people who are claiming land to insert the name of the continent they want to be on, which would then assign the work to a specific person. We would need the continents map to be placed in the land-claiming topic, for reference. It would also change the layout of the Regional Cartographer Office, which shouldn’t be a big deal. Assigning the continents to cartographers may be troublesome, however, as Antarctica is barren, Itur is already fully claimed, and Aurora is nearly to the point that Itur is at.
There’s my two cents.
P.1. I don’t know about you, but I’ve always loved space. I think doing something like that would work once the land of Urth is done (or nearly done) with. I don’t think that would be a good idea now, though, considering the state of SY’s workings at the moment. Also, a change like that could cause some pretty big shiftings in TEP, which, to be honest, is still shaky in some parts after the ‘collapse’ and reestablishment of the government a while ago.
I do believe this is a great idea for the future of the region.

— Begin quote from ____

I.4. I believe that that would be a very good idea. However, this is a lot of information that would need to go into that thread. What we could do in the future is have a mass of topics that show information about the land and nations and their people. If that were the case, I would start working on Atlantia, as that is the continent that the USM will be placed on. Continents such as Yasteria Major and the newly dominated Aurora would have a massive amount of information, since the amount of people on the continent is so huge. Other continents, like Itur and Antarctica, would have smaller amounts of information due to the fact that Itur is so small and Antarctica legally cannot have claims on the land, except for Serenitech (but I personally don’t know the story of that nation, if it is even what you would call a country).

— End quote

I.4. Instead of posting all the tidbits on the thread, we could put links to their NsWiki or the NS Fact book of each country. It would still be a bunch of work, but definitely less than taking the information on the sites and posting it on this forum.

I.4. That’s actually a very good point right there. We would need to persuade people to work on their NSwiki pages, though. Some nations, including myself (at the moment), don’t have the greatest pages. In fact, most nations don’t even have a page of their own at all.