This is a Bad Idea

((Note: unless stated otherwise, all roleplays are open in TEP, meaning if you can find a legit means to find an in, by all means take it and get writing))

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Levinile,

It is time for me to “cash in” on our previous agreement outlined in The Kerilo Accords and in the framework of The Vekaiyun Union. For years we Listonians have waited for a corridor that splits Elphana in twain. We can wait no longer. Indeed, I believe the timing is right to strike on the nation and claim what is rightfully ours, at least partially. I care not about the methodology or the tactics employed; on the contrary, I am only interested in upholding your end of the deal. The manner in which it is accomplished matters little to me.

With warm regards,
Lso Yiskevi
General Secretary of The Vekaiyun Union

— End quote

Ikrisia sighed upon reading the email. Exactly why was a corridor through Elphana worthwhile anymore? The formation of Isklevyu made such a demand obsolete as far as she was concerned, as it gave Vekaiyu dominion over Lake Miiyu, a prominent trading hub on the continent of Yasteria. Furthermore, what was to be gained by taking on land from Elphana? Their nation was already starved after enduring an embargo from Listonia and Vekaiyu, and was extremely susceptible to an annexation from Sevropia, something Vekaiyu (and especially Listonia) would like to avoid. Even still, while the lands were historically Vekaiyun, Ikrisia knew enough segregation had taken place to the point where it would be pointless to argue protection for ethnic vulpines. Perhaps Lso understood that, but his pigheadedness and inability to understand longstanding consequences handicapped his ability to see the future he was attempting to build. Vekaiyu was supposed to pilot the union anyway, not the other way around. Who was this man to dictate instructions to arguably one of the most powerful individuals in The East Pacific?

Naturally, she was quick with a readied response.

— Begin quote from ____

Kivio (Mr., unmarried) Yiskevi,

Vekaiyu never agreed to leading a charge in obtaining a corridor; rather, we agreed that was an eventual end goal to be obtained. Should Listonia wish to lead a charge of a coalition-led or majority-Listonian force, Vekaiyu will of course concur and aid wherever it felt necessary. As of this writing, I personally do not believe a corridor is essential to Listonian progress, especially since Isklevyu has more or less fulfilled our dominance of trade in Yasteria. I am also aware of the alliances Elphana has formed and can form as a result of Vekaiyun aggression.

I therefore ask you to reconsider your rash and unqualified request for Vekaiyun intervention with Listionian affairs. We do not believe such policies reflect current sentiments in The Vekaiyun Union; however, if you are seeking further protection of Listonia from Sevropia, we would be willing to entertain those ideas.

With best,
Premier Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

“Madam President, we have the reports of the Listonia military in possible mobilization maneuvers,” said a rather booming voice of Snoopy. The still head of Special Activities Division.

The newly elected president of Rhodesialund perked her head up and focused her attention to the TV screens that were present on the wall. A lot has happened over the past two months. The constituents have spoken out, and had enough of their previous two presidents. The call was for more responsibility and oversight, while eliminating the rather archaic two president voting system present on the two islands. They called for a singular president to assume the duties. The House and Senate never faced any major changes, which benefited those in position and ejected out the former presidents. During the change, it was rumored that a certain disgruntled CEO bought the two’s conjoined presidential desk and burned it.

President Marion Heleck was a native-born and bred woman. She wouldn’t be turning heads in a bar, but at a political rally she would. How her talking skills were was what made her stand out, but no matter how good you could talk, it was futile if you had no good Vice President to help with the duties and constant funding. She looked to her Vice President and said, “Well, what do you think of Listonia mobilizing?”

The Vice President looked up from the papers and smiled. It was no other than the Multi-millionaire, CEO of Wey-Yu Industries, and rock star, Valintino Saar’bac. With the problematic situation of the previous two presidents, he instigated change in his home nation, one that he believed would be for the best. Alas the returned prodigal son responded, “I say so far it’s just circle-jerking. So many treaties and paperwork crap that some old crotchety general is getting bored. You know what they say; idle hands, or paws in this case, are the devil’s playthings.”

“So you ar-”

“But,” he cut off what people consider to be his boss, “that doesn’t mean we cannot be careful and keep eyes and ears open.” The felidae was never one for niceties of politics or mincing words. When it came to getting down to brass tacks, he got down to brass tacks with a proverbial cleaver. One of the main points why people voted him in as VP, he didn’t care and said what needed to be said.

“Director, I want you to maintain any assets you have on these military maneuvers,” directed the president.

“Yes Ma’am,” said the Director before he got up suddenly to walk out the room and attend to the all-too-familiar world of espionage and shady deals.

“Damnit, Levin, look out!”

The jeep pitched forward heavily as the tire caught in the massive pothole on the rundown road. Jill Ronin slammed forward into the seatbelt as the vehicle suddenly, unexpectedly stopped. Ronin barely processed that the seatbelt had held her before she was thrown back against the seat, whiplashing her. The vehicle finally fully halted after rocking back and forth once more, leaving Ronin gasping for air in near-shock. “What…the…heck, …Levin,” the reporter said between gasps, “I thought you knew these roads…”

“I’m sorry,” the local man said, breathing heavily as well, and raising his hands up in the sign of surrender. “That pothole wasn’t here last time. You have to understand, nobody maintains these roads. Nobody at all. It’s not even really a road anymore – it’s just dirt. Let me get out and check the tire.”

“Fine, fine,” Ronin answered, her voice finally returning to normal. The twenty-eight year old reporter jumped out of the vehicle at the same time, climbing back up on it to check her equipment in the rear compartment. Her camera bag, tripod, and audio equipment had all been thrown forward, but it seemed in good shape. She double-checked the camera for safety, then jumped back down. Massaging her neck, Ronin made her way to the front of the large jeep.

“Not very good, mam, not very good,” Levin said, examining the tire. “I’ll need to replace it. It’ll take me some time. And you’ll have to pay for the spare.” Seeing a nod of confirmation, Levin got to work.

Ronin made her way forward from the jeep meanwhile, contemplating her surroundings. She stood in the midst of a beautiful, small forest, which appeared entirely untouched by modern times. She had to admit it was beautiful. But that was why the FAPT reporter was there – to show viewers this untapped wilderness, and hopefully, to introduce viewers to the mysterious elphene race. Levin claimed that he could make introductions; she certainly hoped so. It’d taken Ronin a week to get out here. She’d be damned if she went home without a good story.

— Begin quote from ____

Yiskevi,

Your lack of response to my prior statement indicates you are not taking my clarifications seriously. Considering the fact that stabilization in Listonia is most important, I am now drawing a line in my policy. Listonia is not to engage with Elphana on the subject of a corridor splitting the nation in twain. If it wishes to negotiate a peaceful settlement, it may do so. I am more concerned with shoring up the northern borders of Listonia, especially borders with Sevropia. Your trade route is irrelevant to me at this point.

If Listonia wishes, I am interested in is closing the southern salient Elphana makes with Listonia and Isklevyu. It poses a potential problem should their nation ever have issues with us or develop more serious allies. I have attached a map for consideration. The red state in question is Biyongo, a fairly poor state with dry lands to the south and forestry in the north. It is majority-Elphene in nature. I cannot stress enough my desire to avoid conflict. Use your political savviness if you must. War is to be avoided at all costs.

• Premier Ikrisia Levinile

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Levinile,

Unfortunately, this does not appear to solve our problem. Listonia is in need of a corridor to Lake Miiyu. This suggestion is not feasible.

With best,
Lso Yiskevi
General Secretary of the Vekaiyu Union

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Yiskevi,

Must I teach you how to do your job? Obtain the state, then annex a small portion of Iskelvyu to fulfill your request. This way, a volatile Elphana will not directly affect Isklevyu, but Listonia. Iskleyvu should not have to worry about a border with that nation should you decide to tread these waters.

• Levinile

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE FROM THE VEKAIYUN UNION
GENERAL SECRETARY OF THE VEKAIYUN UNION
LSO YISKEVI

To the esteemed leaders of Elphana,

It is with great hesitation that I must require the conditional surrender of the state of Biyongo in Elphana. The state is historically Vekaiyun in nature and mischief arising from the 2009 Listonian Independence must be undone to preserve peace and serenity in the region. To this end, we demand the state be returned to Listonia. In turn, we are prepared to open trade and aid in solidifying Elphene borders toward Sevropia, a hostile and volatile nation that has pledged support to Lazlowia, a nation which has been steadfast in their disagreement with Listonian and Elphene independence.

The conditions of Listonian annexation of Biyongo are as follows:

1. A “grace period” of up to one year whereby citizens of Elphana may choose to migrate into Elphene lands and suffer no consequences including but not limited to removal of Elphene citizenship. Such a group would enter into a “protected” and receive the same provisions as Listonian citizens up to the advertised date.

2. Complete annexation of Biyongo by no later than January 1st, 2016 to Listonia. Listonian batteries may occupy said territory after October 16, 2015 in preparation to govern the newly-acquired province.

3. Trade talks between Elphana and member-nations of The Vekaiyun Union may commence after November 1st, 2015 in order to strengthen regional economies and promote goodwill between involved parties.

4. Protection and preservation from Sevropian and Lazlowian aggression that may arise from future endeavors. It should be emphasized here that a weakened and distracted Vulshain state does not merit the type of protection required to preserve Elphana borders as demonstrated by neighboring nations.

Please consider this offer carefully. We wish to avoid any further conflict at all cost. In leiu of this decree we are offering a deadline of seven (7) days to the writing of this letter. Should an unsatisfactory or non-answer be provided, Elphana grants Listonian intervention in and around the Biyongo province.

With best,
Lso Yiskevi
General Secretary of The Vekaiyun Union

— End quote

“You got to be kidding me!?” King Samuil Rainard was not happy in the least as he glared at three Confederate military officers, all of them high-ranking. They were not happy either.

“I wish we were Your Majesty, but our intelligence has detected that Listonia…err…excuse me the Vekaiyun Union maybe planning to move into and taking over Biyongo. This might be a move to later take over the entire nation of Elphana. So far, we have our forces standing by, ready to move. We could have some strike teams in place to get any Vulshainian citizens out of there if need be,” General Iko de Clarence, a tall buxom vulpine general said.

“Oh great. Well, it might be best to do something to keep this from blowing up in our faces. We are after all Vekaiyu’s ally here. So, get me a line with Ikrisia and see about getting some troops sent over there to help with relief efforts. Maybe the Vekaiyuns might be a little wary about annexing the entire country if one of their allies is in the vicinity.”

The three officers saluted and left the king’s office who was already tried to get in touch with Ikrisia.

Ikrisia what game are you playing at here?

The Vice President was walking through the capitol gardens, maintained lovingly by the contracted out workers. He walked through a few hedgerows and pulled out his phone and spoke into it, “Update on Tusk Supply.”

A grizzled voice came back, “Tusk Supply is in motion. They were initially doubtful, but it took a bit of sweetening the deal for them accept it.”

“What was necessary?”

“A few man patties, and atropine.”

The CEO remembered the code words. Man patties stood for MAPATS, laser guided Anti-tank missiles. Cheap, yet effective. These would be valuable for taking out the invading tanks and APCs. However, the Elphene resistance is smart enough to know that their weaponry would be no good against nerve gas and other chemical agents in use by the Listonians, thus the specific word Atropine. Atropine is a specific drug in use across the world to help with those in cardiac arrest, dialation of the eyes to combat nearsightedness in children, and to reduce saliva production for those in surgery. In larger than normal doses of Atrophine, it is capable of treating victims of gas attacks. The Elphene would require much more than “larger than normal.”

“Ok, set the man patties aside for special shipments. The Atropine can be done in relief packages, no one would cast a second look at the excess of a medicinal drug going to a poor nation. In fact, do we include instruction manuals with our products?”

“Only with complex equipment sir.”

“Break apart the man patties and label them as hospital equipment before sending them over.”

“Acknowledged Sir,” was the final words out of the phone before the felidae hung up and pocketed it. He walked out of the gardens to attend to the various governmental duties.

Lso Yiskevi sat in his office chair, writing a treatise on political philosophies in Listonia during the second half of the 20th century. It wasn’t an attempt to propagandize an already nationalistic group of people; rather, he had taken it as a hobby since serving in office to Litonia. Indeed, he had published several works on history and his own take on a creole of Vekaiyun history and modern Listonian politics, which helped the rest of the world and his own people get a glimpse into his thought process. Critics were quick to label him as a Vekaiyun Loyalist. He of course countered with his own research on the history of the Listonian and Vekaiyun states, and reminded individuals that he was indeed born in Listonia, making him Listonian by birth. The crux of his argument was that all southern vulpines were Vekaiyun by ancestry, and to identify as Vekaiyun, Listonian (or “Eastern Vekaiyun” as he put it), Isklevyun (“Southern Vekaiyun”) or any other groups scattered around the realm, was pointless. It gave legitimacy to the Vekaiyun Union, certainly, but it also connected other vulpines to the historically-rich Vekaiyu, the liberator of all vulpine peoples.
Let’s
“Speaking of liberate,” he thought as he put his pen down. He dialed a number on his speed dial, which was answered quickly.

“Ah, Secretary Yiskevi,” the voice began on the other end, “You require an update? The Listonian 3rd and 5th divisions are in place. The 4th Listonian armored corps is poised to strike first between the two divisions. In Isklevyu, the Vekaiyun 44th and 47th divisions among others hold Biyombo in the south, forming a defensive front. Kral Commodore Nevikalu will not get involved without clearance from Premier Levinile. Has she obliged?”

“No…” Yiskevi replied. It seemed Levinile had not backed down from her word. Surely she would offer a division or two if things got tense. “I am asking you to commence the ground operation in Biyombo. Let’s finish what we started and reclaim the historically Listonian lands from occupiers.”

“I have not received permission from Levinile or Evensuni,” the voice confirmed.

“Both Levinile and Evesuni are out of the country,” Yiskevi reminded. “The authority now rests with me, the General Secretary of the Vekaiyun Union. Commence the ground operation, Commodore Iyugasi.”

There was a long pause from the other end of the line. “We were told to wait for their signal, though.”

“And I hold the authority to permit such a signal,” he barked. “Advance into Biyombo and secure the state, commodore! Use air support to clear a path if you must, and obtain the state quickly to catch the defenses off guard.”

“I concur,” the voice replied.

Yiskevi hung up the phone, the bell in the rotary phone her preferred was still ringing from the slam. “Becoming General Secretary of the Vekaiyun Union was meant to be a promotion, not a demotion! It was less than one year ago I served along with Evesuni as a premier to this Listonian state. They will respect my abilities!”

“Andres! Pack the F— Up and Move!” shouted an employee of the company.

Around 10 or so able bodied beings of various ethnicities were rushing around, loading sensitive equipment and documents into trucks. They were far from the border of the invading countries, but orders were strict. “Resume Tusk, Pull Out When Neighbors Knock, Allow Domestic Takeover” was the word for word transmission that was received 10 minutes ago. After a few more minutes, the trucks were loaded and nothing incriminating or suspicious was left behind. The four trucks gunned it out of the outpost belonging to the Elphana Militia and into the wild they went. Their next stop was one of the coastal cities of the lake.

“Woo! Think we beat our record!” shouted one of the females in one of the trucks.

“We ain’t out of this one just yet. Save the bubbly and cigars when we are on the plane out of here,” grunted the manager as he drove the truck.

The outpost was on the edge of the Eastern-most parts of Biyongo. All operatives and employees of the company were on strict calls and far away from the boarders. The mobilization of the Listonians gave a sense of danger, since no one knew when the orders for full on invasion would happen. Only Andres and the rest of his team were the closet operating group to the action. Other teams set up inside the country of Elphana were now pulling out. After a few weeks worth of supplying goods to the militias and future rebels, tens and possibly hundreds of millions of Rhodes were made. There would be a lot more coming in the future if the rebels last longer than expected.

The manager opened the door and then closed it three times, giving the signal. In response all four vehicles turned off their headlights or anything that might give a visual signal. Inside Andres saw his boss put on night vision goggles, as did the rest of the drivers and passengers. Within a few minutes, they were out of Biyongo and still speeding towards the coast, avoiding major cities or military bases.

Andres spoke to a fellow employee, “Well, how long do you think they’ll last?” mentioning the militiamen they knew for a few weeks.

“Them? I’d give them a month, tops,” she replied while thumbing over her shoulder.

Akiyabi – Grand Elphana Hotel
Jill Ronin slammed her hand onto the bell on the front desk of the Grand Elphana Hotel in vain. The staff of the “venerated establishment” had apparently fled, leaving the few guests to fend for themselves. Ronin found herself unsurprised – the “Grand Elphana” was a two-star hotel at best. It was, as it so happened, also the best hotel in Akiyabi. Not that that meant a whole lot at the moment.

Akiyabi was indeed in chaos. Much of the population of the city was fleeing in advance of the Listonian invading army, while the remainder hunkered down to wait out the fighting. The small city government was trying its best to work with the few local militias to organize a defense, but Ronin didn’t see them holding out for more than a few days, maybe weeks at most. This invasion was already proving disastrous for the Elphanan people.

But by the same token, the invasion seemed set to prove highly fortunate for Ronin. The young FAPTV reporter had come to Elphana for a human interest story about poverty and hopelessness. Instead, she was covering an invasion – better than that, a downright annexation. Ronin sympathized with the local population – but as she broke into the maintenance closet to get the parts she needed to finish setting up her satellite uplink from the ceiling of the hotel, Ronin could not help but feel lucky for finding herself in the middle of such a major news story.

Blue House – Office of the President
“…indicates that there are anywhere from 15,000 to 20,000 Listonian troops invading, plus several tens of thousands of Vekaiyun troops in reserve. The Listonians are very experienced, and will probably overcome the Elphanans rather easily, even with the Elphanans reportedly receiving some aid.”

President Christopher Arctoris nodded as he listened to the FPIA Director’s report, holding up a hand as the director prepared to provide more information. “I think I’ve heard enough,” Arctoris said, “just to confirm – we don’t have any interests there?”

“There are only a few Free Pacificans in the entire territory,” the FPIA Director replied, “a seventy-something that moved there about forty years ago has been providing our consular services. We got him, his family, the few Free Pacificans, and the few Lyonese out on one of the last commercial flights. The only person left is a FATV reporter. We’re keeping an eye on her.”

“Alright,” Arctoris said, “let’s issue a formal condemnation of the invasion and annexation, and a call for an immediate cease fire. Ask the Lyonese to do the same. But make sure the Vekaiyuns know through channels that we’re not getting involved.” Arctoris took a breath. “Nonetheless, let’s put our forces in Reziel at a higher state of alert, in case we need them.” Seeing the nod of both the Adjunct and the Ambassador-at-Large, Arctoris turned back to the FPIA Director. “What’s next on the agenda?”

“We’ve received word that the Kandarinese fleet may be…”

Ikrisia flashed a painted smile as she spoke on the phone to the General Secretary of the Vekaiyun Union. “I was about to reconvene at a conference seeking to demonstrate Vekaiyun statesmanship to the world abroad, when I… just couldn’t help to notice two Listonian divisions had entered into Elphana.”

Yiskevi was quick to respond. “They did not respond in the given time, so we-”

“You do not have the authority to order any military maneuvers in your position!” she barked, holding the phone in front of her rather than listen to what he had to say. “You were put in that position to unify and give the Unonian-speaking leaders less work, not more! Now I must defend your pathetic display of diplomacy to an international body, who will no doubt be more than interested to know why Listonia decided to invade a nation much weaker than it.”

There was a long pause. He appeared to be speaking, but she was not interested in hearing it.

“Pray I do not remove you from your post and send you over their border when I return. I told you to avoid war at all costs. Since you did not have the authority to call those attacks, I have already taken the liberty of calling your blunder back. I’m not going to let anyone else suffer from your stupidity.”

“I expect you in Eldura when I arrive. There we will discuss your role in the Vekaiyun Union going forward. I hope, for your sake, this conference is not a disaster, Yiskevi.”

Meanwhile in the Free Pacific States …

Marion heard her cell phone trilling and picked up the call. She answered, “This is the President, speak.”

After several minutes of “Uh huh” and “Go on’s” that emanated from her mouth, she then hung up after the call was finalized. Her mind began thinking, she remembered something of a treaty the Listonians had with someone stating that a part of Elphana belonging to them. She then smirked, thanking the newfound knowledge that poured into her mind those past days before the Conference. Learning everything about each respective country and their issues.

‘This is a great way to see if the split between the CoN and the Vekaiyun Union can widen,’ she thought. ‘I won’t stand against their efforts, rather I’d support it. The lands were previously agreed upon, seems only just that Listonia gets that stretch. Now, if they actually conquer Elphana, that’s a whole different story. I’m in the mood for a little chaos, I’ll try and go that route if the topic in the conference arises.’

[hr]

Meanwhile in Elphana

Andres looked out the window, seeing alleyways among the buildings of the small city. They were just nearby the coastline where their ticket out was waiting. A seaplane was being tended to on a nearby dock, marked with the mercenary company’s logo. A few recruiters stood outside the plane, looking for any potential value that some of the locals might have, whether it be a mechanic or some veterans looking for a payday. Families were being rejected and told to look further down the road for any that might be willing to help.

The trucks then came to a stop just outside the town that had an unmarked plane with it’s engines still running. The company planes have been flying in and out as fast as possible trying to airlift all assets out of country and out of the region. Andres and his fellow teammates hopped out and started loading the goods into the seaplane. Each person running up and down the dock and setting it by the plane while the pilot and co-pilot started bringing them in and strapping the cases down.

Soon the plane was topped off with fuel and begun the takeoff. Their job was over, it was up to the rest to keep the war machine running.

The Company, fortunately, has anticipated this move. Since the start they have been teaching the militia members how to run the system of supplying themselves with the goods that was brought in. How to hide stuff, how to maintain secrecy, how to remove incriminating evidence, and so on. All that needed to be done on the company’s part at this time was simply dropping off the goods at predetermined points, as long as the payment went through. ATGMs, MANPATs, assault rifles, clinical drugs to help combat against chemical warfare, and the training has netted the company a very hefty source of income. It wasn’t the first time they fueled a side of war, both sides in some cases, but it was the first time they helped fuel a war against a superpower.

My god, what mistakes I’ve made. With her herself and her thoughts; the regrets of her lifestyle came to mind; Her kids, if not already captured and killed, her house, her old life, her homeland; all she had been separated from in her ‘rebellious’ choices in life. She was snapped back to reality as she pulled into the warehouse. It will be over soon enough.

“The package safe?” she muttered to the rear.

“Yup” emitted a male voice from the rear of the van. She looked back to see her two compatriots with a large duffel bag, covered in Prussian labeling.

“We’ll be waiting…here then.” She muttered in her native tongue, sighing as the garage door closed behind them. The occupants of the warehouse, had been used to smuggling contacts spending the night. They don’t know, and won’t know, the contents of this truck. One of the three people in the van was to keep a watch all night.

The satellite phone rang.

“You know your mission.” echoed a distorted, robotic voice.

“Yes, sir, it will be done for God and Aiya.”

“Very well, God be with you.” The phone hung up, before a buzzing emitted from it; She pulled it open again to find the hard drive of the phone had been remotely wiped as a final command from her superiors, rendering the device inert. It was too late to turn back.

Vilines Central Square & Government Complex - 09:00 hours

The streets where alive, with both troops, government officials, and citizens moving around, to work, to the center of regional government; The city was truly alive, at least a couple hundred thousand. She couldn’t think but wonder what each of them had in their lives, and why she was about to bring it all to a end.

She brought the van to a abrupt stop at a light.

“I…I…dont’t think I can do this.”

“It’s okay, You have had your use…however…it has now come to a end” A man in a suit came up from a rear, wielding a pistol as the van was stopped at the light. She felt a sharp pain in her abdomen as a single shot was discharged; She was promptly pushed, stunned, out of the driver seat of the van and onto the street to the horror of citizens around them.

Realizing his mistake, the shooter quickly moved to the driver seat and sped off toward the center of town, leaving her bleeding out on the street. She knew what was coming, and, to the amusement and horror of the shocked citizens around her, began crawling leaving a trail of blood to the nearest subway station.

“What is she doing?”

“Follow…me…if you want to live” Most looked at her as if she was crazy, only one or two actually followed her the fifty feet; which seemed like a eternity, into the subway station. Several had already called police and she heard sirens getting closer.

Then, after what seemed like a eternity…a blinding light emerged in the distance.

The Vice President was rushed into the elevator, flanked by bodyguards armed with Assault Rifles and PDWs. Other agents throughout the Parlimentary building were busy securing important political figures trying to keep the chain of succession in place. The inside the elevator was Secretary of Defense James Reagan and the Foreign Minister of Affairs Albert-Jan Boschman. As soon as the doors closed, the elevator dropped exactly 25 floors from the basement through solid rock, multiple layers of reinforced concrete, and compacted dirt.

Suddenly the doors opened and the bodyguards rushed the three beings into a subterranean complex, dubbed “The Doomsday Cave.” After a few minutes of fast paced jogging to a specially sealed off section of the cavern, a walkway ending in a glass pane circular meeting room stood the General of the Marines, General of the Army, and the Air Marshal. The Grand Admiral was already off shore, with his fleet roaming the surrounding waters. The uniformed officials saluted the Vice President and was promptly saluted back.

Val Saarbac asked, “What happened?”

The military men looked at eachother then to what could possibly be their now president. The Marine answered, “Mr. President, we are following the lines of succession. For now you are the President of Rhodesia. President Heleck is out of country and is considered incapacitated in her duties until the state of emergency is over.”

“I know how the line of succession works, what happened?” asked Saarbac, this time a little annoyed.

The Air Marshal replied, “As of within the previous hour, we have detected a nuclear bomb going off in the City of Vilines, Listonia.”

“Oh sh–,” said the Secretary of Defense.

“We must try and help the Listonians,” added Albert-Jan.

“In due time Al,” said the current President. “Have the Listonians or Vekaiyun Union launched any retaliatory strikes?”

“None that we could detect Mr. President,” remarked the Air Marshal.

“Then who the hell would set off a nuclear bomb on Listonian territory?” asked Val.

“We don’t know for sure Mr. President,” said the General of the Army. “All we know is that it isn’t the Pax, Prussia, or any foreign nation. All we can go off is that the clues point to Elphana. They are the only nation with reason to set off a nuclear device. Also, from the early reports, it’s confirmed that the bomb is a suitcase nuke.”

‘A suitcase nuke?’ asked Val mentally. ‘Why the hell didn’t the forward units hear about such a thing when they were setting up in Elphana for Operation Tusk? If they Elphana militia did have a suitcase nuke, I could have bought it off them and used it on Serenitech to drive their stock down and make Prussia look like the guilty party. Something ain’t right here, I suspect fowl play. Maybe a third party? But who? Who gains the most? Vekaiyun Union agents? Why the hell would they bomb their neighbor? Access to the lake? Still too drastic for such a course of action. Nothing is adding up. Someone is deciding to play games for the fun of it.’

The current acting president makes a decision, “Call off the State of Emergency. Albert?”

“Yes Mr. President?”

“It’s Vice-President now.”

“Sorry Sir, is there something you want?”

Val then replied, “Give a official letter of condolences for the dead and wounded. Also offer to provide humanitarian aid.”

“Yes Sir, right away,” said Albert-Jan Boschman as he begun walking to the elevator to make the necessary arrangements

“James,” called Saarbac.

“Yes Sir?”

“Get the Admiral on the horn and inform him of the decision made. Also tell him to send a signal to President Heleck to maintain a presence at the talks.”

“Understood.”

The Vice-President and current CEO of Wey-Yu Industries stood there for a minute thinking, Just in time for the Budgetary Committee. This should push more funding into our military. Great way to propel more sales. He then snapped out of it and looked to the uniformed military men, each representative of their branches. “Push for more funding, and hard. Meanwhile, keep tabs on this crap and inform me ASAP.”

“Yes Sir,” replied the three men simultaneously as they snapped to attention and saluted.

“Dismissed,” replied the Vice President as he turned away to head towards the exit.

[hr]

A little over 10 minutes later…

The felidae was outside in the gardens once more.

Val Saarbac pulled out a phone and was connected to the Board of Directors. All of the members were present after news of the nuclear detonation has arrived. “Gentlemen, you there?” he asked in a commanding tone.

“Yes, all of us are present and accounted for,” replied one of the people present.

“Good. Prepare for several new military contracts in the future, defense budgets are about to be hiked. And I want a clandestine team finding out where the hell that bomb came from, and who detonated it.”

“Understood, anything else?”

“Prepare to do a humanitarian mission if possible. Our Pre-Fab structures should be ready to sell to the Listonians or Vekaiyuns if at all possible. They may be strongly independent folks, but I want them to think we are all willing to help a nation that was struck by an attack.”

“Yes Sir, another thing?”

“Are all of our agents and incriminating evidence out of Elphana?”

“Yes.”

“Good, stop supplying them with arms, ammo, and medicine. We already milked them for as much money as possible, I don’t want our hands being caught in the cookie jar. That’s it.” Val hung the call and pocketed the encrypted cell phone. He went to a few political leader’s offices to put the Budgetary plans into motion.

— Begin quote from ____

To Listonia,

It is within deep regrets and we wish to carry our condolences to the innocent people lost in the nuclear attack. As a gesture of goodwill, the Federal Republic of Rhodesia is willing to provide humanitarian aid, intelligence, and military assistance in finding the responsible party, and ensuring the appropriate punishment is dealt.

With Best Regards,

Albert-Jan Boschman
Foreign Minister of Affairs
The Federal Republic of Rhodesia

— End quote

The blast had set into motion a series of protocols agreed upon by the Vekaiyun and Listonian military regarding an attack from Sevropia or the Fourth Imperium, or even Packilvania in an attempt to protect the Listonian crossroads. While the wheels turned and the dominoes fell, a sense of panic and uncertainty ruled across the city, even though Evesuni had specifically told them to remain calm. This time was a bit bigger. Fighting had died down years ago - why was it happening down, to so many innocent lives? They didn’t have guns. They weren’t fighting for land. They were just going about their normal business. To their jobs. Making an earning. Furthering their state, a dream that became a reality six years ago.

But, everyone went about their work. Firefighters quelled any flames downtown. Priests read last rights to groups of individuals, or where groups of individuals were presumed to be. Forensics collected soil samples to determine the origin of the bomb. Designated first responders organized survivors and moved them from the city center. Cleanup crews established an exclusion zone based on measured radiation levels and damage done to structures in the city. They moved survivors from the premesis and helped transport them to various hospitals after decontaminating the individuals. Preference was given to first responded at first, but then was shifted to those who were in dire need of care. Decontamination was deliberate at first, but then sped up once a more clear picture of affected area was determined. Time passed. More crews rolled in. Listonian military moved in to tend to the area. The markets in Vilines froze and the city began to shut down, partially though, as businesses slowly closed their doors in order to pitch in and deal with the tragedy at hand. By noon, the entire city had rolled up their sleeves and worked to systematically recover.

After all, this wasn’t an attack on a select few. It was an attack on all of Listonia.

And then there was the police forces. Vekaiyun and Listonian personnel began rounding up any suspects who may know details of the tragedy. Of course, they were instructed to keep their jaws intact - an ancient Durric (southern Listonia / Isklevyu) tradition, of course, to bury it at an intersection so the soul would become confused and never know who to speak to or where to go. Among those detained was a female who had been shot. Eyewitness accounts insisted that she was acting rather strangely prior to the detonation, and that her words seemed to point to knowing more than what she was letting on.

Of course, to the Listonians, any means was appropriate to extract information. Especially to a killer of the innocent.

A statement would appear online, posted from a proxy server originating in District 58

Do not believe what they are about to announce,
For they are only but looking for the pounce,
And while the cloud may be mushroom,
This is nothing but a attempt to clear the washroom,
The evidence may point to the elephant,
but blatant acceptance expresses one as arrogant,
Indeed, while the people suffer,
who will be the true bluffer?

the clue you seek lies in but three words; Repent, Repent, Repent.

George sat looking at a map. After Noi’s death and the happening in Allegheny, he was relegated to managing the Tassalvaltan territories in the northwest of Pax lands.
“Do we know who detonated?” He asked aloud to anyone near him.

An aide looked towards George. “No. We are gathering what intel we can, but have no clear leads in the matter.”

George sighed. “Take us to full alert. Begin the conscription procedures. I have a feeling we are going to get dragged into something, and I will NOT have us caught unprepared!”

A different aid frowned. “Do we have that authority?”

George laughed. “And who would we leave it to? That starry eyed pacifist Miku? No, we need to show TEP that the Pax are to be relied on.”

The aid turned back to his work, and simply replied “Yes sir.”

Blue House – Crisis Management Center
“We’ve confirmed the ground detonation of a twenty ton nuclear device in downtown Vilines, Listonia, Vekaiyun Union,” the Free Pacifican Intelligence Agency Director said, while providing President Christopher Arctoris with satellite images of Vilines, “we’re estimating a death toll in the mid to high hundreds, plus a couple thousand injured. No group has taken credit for the attack, but we’re pretty sure it was not the Elphanans, given that they’ve never had a nuclear program. We’re undertaking efforts to find out who was responsible.”

The National Security Adviser spoke up. "Per standard procedure, we’ve brought you here to the CMC, put the 3rd Fleet in Reziel on full alert, and issued travel advisories for Listonia and Elphana. The civilian we have providing consular services in Listonia is helping to get as many of our people there out of there as possible. We’ve also gotten the Vice President airborne; he’ll be arriving in Garneldo tonight. "

“Very well,” President Christopher Arctoris said, still recovering from being rushed downstairs by National Protection Agency officers, “let’s reach out to the Listonians to offer aid. The Mercy is with the third fleet, right? See if they want her. I doubt it, but worth asking. Let’s also get out a formal offering of condolences and such as soon as possible. And…”

The President was interrupted as a military officer rushed into the room, presenting the National Security Adviser with some documents. The NSA skimmed them for a moment, then swore. “The Pax are going to full alert,” she said, “they’ve initiated conscription programs in Drakkengard and Dovakhan. We’re still not sure who exactly is in charge over there, so it’s possible that more conservative elements are trying to take advantage of the crisis.”

“I should’ve guessed,” Arctoris said, scowling, “they send their ambassador here, pretending that they want to reach out, but we all know what the Pax really are. And we all know what they’re going to do if given the chance. Put the military on full alert; activate the reserves and guard. They’re not going to catch us unaware, I’ll tell you that.”

“Sir,” the FPIA Director spoke up, “this may very well be a purely defensive reaction by the Pax. Responding in this manner could escalate…”

“I don’t want to hear it,” Arctoris snapped. “The Pax escalated when they blew up half our country a decade ago, and they just now escalated when they mobilized their entire army. I’m not going to pansy around like Terrus did, waiting to act until there’s a couple drones pounding on the Blue House door. Put everyone on alert, now.”