United Nations for Urth

Hi everyone, thank you for popping by.

The idea of a “United Nations for Urth” has been around for a long time. Many alliances have been established that tried to unite the nations of the world. Many of them had many members and had some kind of presence all over the world. Many are small or limited to a particular geographical area. None of them have come close to the kind of body that even resembles a United Nations. The idea has had some interest but has largely failed to gain traction. This is due to serious disagreements on how such an organization will be structured, how membership will work, where it will be housed, who will run it and so on. Some of the issues have largely had to do with activity and difficulty in getting enough people interested.

Regardless, some players have come up with a renewed interest in the formation of such a body, even calling the foundation thereof a matter of urgency. The Urth is not as globalized as Earth. That means that nations have a small network of friends (or enemies) and by extension roleplay partners. Trade, war, communications and so on are fairly limited. That does not mean, however, that establishing a UN-like body is a fruitless pursuit. Many of our nations operate like modern nations on Urth. Our interactions are governed by the similar norms and customs.

On Earth, there have been hundreds of years of diplomatic history and there are many international organizations and instruments by which norms and common principles are established. These common norms and customs do not establish themselves nor can they be dictated to everyone by moderation or a single powerful nation. They are the collaborative effort of nations working toward a common goal. Thus, an international organization would be really helpful in framing that idea. It also might be fun to have international incidents, court cases, and diplomatic wrangling.

The East Pacific Organisation

The East Pacific is the name of our region in terms of gameplay, but did you know that it actually exists on Urth? The East Pacific Treaty Organisation is an alliance between East Malaysia and the Free Pacific States, and other nations, that was formed by combining their names. Genius right?! This alliance can form the stem of a broader East Pacific Organisation that encompasses the entire planet.

This organization would not be like the United Nations of real-life. It might be equally or even more incompetent and impotent, but isn’t that part of the drama? This organization would not constrain our actions but form an avenue for another dimension of roleplay. Rather than constrain our roleplay with rules, it would add to the drama and complexity of life on Urth while forming the basis of the norms we take for granted. This organization would be made up of branches that handle various topics. For example the East Pacific Atomic Energy Agency or the East Pacific Court of Justice.

Perhaps it could have a General Assembly wherein all nations are represented equally and vote on various ineffectual resolutions in the tussle for power. Or it could have a supersecret secretariat that runs the world from a basement on Christie Island. Who knows? The possibilities are endless, and moreover, the possibilities for roleplay are even greater. Feel free to comment and share your opinions.

I would rather such an organization evolve naturally as its own entity rather than as a hamfisted extension of a current (and defunct) alliance. If we don’t allow cooperation to develop organically among players, we are essentially forcing them to conform to a specific narrative. The name also leaves a bad taste in my mouth as it plays homage to the NSregion and area of the globe the nations are centered in rather than any sort of representation of global unity.

Maybe an East Pacific Organisation may not specifically be the best way to go. keep the comments coming

It’s a nice idea, but Urth is so diverse. If we did do say UN like organization places like Yuno would have to come into compliance with human rights or laws something a lot of countries on Urth completely ignore. We have the PKFU which is Good but it’s not a saint either. Other nations might try to use the leverage of the council against a enemy or another political party. I like the idea but I wouldn’t see the superpowers joining in and if you can’t get the superpowers to join then a lot of other nations would probably follow suits behind the regional powers.

I like the idea. I think it’d be good to create a framework for an organization, but as rogueparagon stated, have it develop organically from there. Right now what I see on Urth is an imbalance of power, with alliances being somewhat fluid as the need arises. There should probably exist some sort of international avenue where grievances can be read to representatives of Urth nations. I think we can fight over the other details of what would be in this organization, but at the very least, that is what I would like.

There was once a http://forum.theeastpacific.com/topic/5162390/1/ about five years ago (but it feels like it was a lifetime ago), but it fell into obscurity.

There is also the (more recent) organization of the Coalition of Nations that may be functional for this purpose. The organizational structure can be reworked and new logos can be minted- but take a look/

http://forum.theeastpacific.com/topic/5228796/1/#new

http://forum.theeastpacific.com/topic/5215238/1/#new

I like the mission of the Grand Council: mediate disputes, aid communication and develop understanding. I like how it does not tie down the member nations with lots of treaties and laws and restrictions. But I also loke how the Coalition of Nations is structured, in that the functions are divided into three.

Whatever a possible UN for Urth is called it should have no power to control its members. Following the example of the CON it should have:

• A Council to appoint a president and issue non-binding recommendations and standards, commendations and condemnations.
  • A Commission to manage the administration of the organization.
  • A Court to mediate disputes.

Membership should be unrestricted and universal. The headquarters should be in Pax somewhere neutral like Urth City on Urth Island (or something generic and uninspiring like that).

After reading the Coalition of Nations stuff I like the idea, plus it’s a existing organization with a frameworth.

Im in for the idea