Urth Science Project: Solar System

The Urth History Project is on hold for a short time while we get a blank map together, and while I work on getting the internet to crowd-sourcing the question of evolution. Meanwhile, I thought we could kickoff a similar effort, the Urth Science Project! Knowing what’s happened on Urth is important, but honestly, not nearly as important as knowing about Urth itself!

Figuring out the specifics of Urth science will be hard (as Urth is 8% larger than Earth, plenty will be different), but there should be one pretty simple task that we can do: design the solar system! Urth is nothing like Earth, so why does Sol have to be anything like our Sol? Obviously, the sun should probably be the same size, and Urth should be a similar distance away. Urth should also probably have a moon that’s a similar distance away. But what about other planets? Other objects? What’s up in the sky?

What if we had more than one moon? You know, a dual, or triple moon orbit.

I’d say a s amount of planets. Definitely below 10.

What about an extrasolar gas planet? Caught in the stars gravitational pull, so it’s closer to the sun than it should be?

— Begin quote from ____

What about an extrasolar gas planet? Caught in the stars gravitational pull, so it’s closer to the sun than it should be?

— End quote

Personally 1 moon is fine, unless you wish to worry about the various tidal forces in play with multiple moons orbiting Urth? I would not mind if the moon had it’s own breathable atmosphere but barren?

Definitely 10 planets or less in Urth’s Solar System.

There was a comment somewhere in a post that Urth was a bit warmer than Earths. The extra-solar gas giant (almost a mini-sun) in close proximity to Urth’s Sun can increase the warmth factor of Urth?

If Urth is 8% larger then Earth’s then gravity might be a bit heavier too? Unless there is something lacking in Urth’s crust that doesn’t make the gravity any heavier than Earth’s? Iron/Nickle Core not as big? Science is not my forte.

Also, the other planets, could some have there own breathable atmosphere as well. For possible future RP’s (far future).

Pluto should be the largest planet in the solar system. Our Pluto needs an ego boost.

I think we need to leave the system barren, outside of Urth, or EM and Pax are going to have to retcon even more history.

Urth should definitely be the only life-supporting, but what constitutes barren?

A world desolate of anything living, usually can’t support life… Like Mars.

We’re agreed on less than 10 planets altogether with Urth being the only uninhabited planet, then. We’ll need to do a science thread next explaining why Urth doesn’t have different gravity and the like despite being 8% larger, unless we just want to wave the magic wand.

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

We can do more than one moon, but the size of these moons shouldn’t be huge or very close, otherwise we need to worry about gravitational effects. So we can have some small moons, or a moon-sized moon, even a moon that’s large, so long as it’s farther out.

Small number of planets is fine.

The thing with gas planets really close to the sun is the heat from the sun will eventually vaporize the gas on the gas giant, unless there’s some weird convection effect. So it’s unlikely that a gas giant will be that close to the sun and not experience some kind of reduction in its atmosphere. There’s actually a theory that Mercury was a gas giant in its past due to it’s huge iron core in relation to its rocky crust.

— Begin quote from ____

Urth should definitely be the only life-supporting, but what constitutes barren?

— End quote

I dunno… a water-world would be cool

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

I dunno… a water-world would be cool

— End quote

An ice planet could constitute as a waterworld. Just go deep enough you will hit warm water.

Unless you want to go full on Subnautica or Kevin Costner. :wink:

Yeah. Like a water world or something. A blue planet. But that’s just me.

— Begin quote from ____

Urth doesn’t have different gravity and the like despite being 8% larger

— End quote

Well, that one is easier to explain. Larger overall, but with a thicker/denser Iron Core.

For the Waterworld… Why does it have to be a world? Lets think Europa here, an ice moon caught in Jupiter’s gravity well. Now, lets make Jupiter a little warmer, or say its sending out non-lethal radiation… Thus melting the ice. Boom, we have a habitable water world, only 390 million miles away from Urth… So one hell of a lot hard to get to.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

Urth doesn’t have different gravity and the like despite being 8% larger

— End quote

Well, that one is easier to explain. Larger overall, but with a thicker/denser Iron Core.

For the Waterworld… Why does it have to be a world? Lets think Europa here, an ice moon caught in Jupiter’s gravity well. Now, lets make Jupiter a little warmer, or say its sending out non-lethal radiation… Thus melting the ice. Boom, we have a habitable water world, only 390 million miles away from Urth… So one hell of a lot hard to get to.

— End quote

We should most definitely role-play on Waterworld/Subnautica like a survival thread. Possibly an international space project gone wrong. :smiley:

Well, with nuclear rockets, it would take 3 years to get to Europa. So what would the RP there be? An international mission gone wrong, or already established colonies fighting each other Waterworld style because there is something very valuable on the planet?

I call dibs on calling my guy Kevin Costner!

Todd, you can have Matthew McConaughey, someone else called dibs on Matt Damon.

lol

We just made a move away from future tech – I’m not sure we should move right back to having an entire colony planet. Besides, I think that’d put aside the fun of trying to organize multinational efforts to explore the galaxy. We’d be skipping all the initial space missions, and that’d be a big thing to miss.

Well, its not an entire colony planet, its a small outpost. Call it 10 people tops, that would probably be enough for any Nation who wants to join in to play a single character.

Also, I called Matt Damon.

— Begin quote from ____

lol

We just made a move away from future tech – I’m not sure we should move right back to having an entire colony planet. Besides, I think that’d put aside the fun of trying to organize multinational efforts to explore the galaxy. We’d be skipping all the initial space missions, and that’d be a big thing to miss.

— End quote

I agree with Todd on this … no no and no … and it should be years down the road for space-and-beyond RP …

— Begin quote from ____

Frank of Valentee

— End quote

I like this idea by Frank … it can be a future endeavor of Urthlings to get here …

— Begin quote from ____

lol

— End quote

Future tech? Well, we do have rail gun ships, and Vekaiyu’s been working on a gunship for the greater part of five years or so. I’d say we’re MT, but on the cusp of FT for several applications. Don’t forget the Hive Nodes and nekos, which if I remember correctly were created via experiments.

That being said, space travel is a different beast. An expensive beast.