Wedding Bells

OOC: Collab post between me and SY.

IC:

Zak nodded as he leaned back in his chair. “Yes. We signed a treaty a couple years ago.”

“I see. Surprised you didn’t sign a treaty with Vekaiyu prior to the submarine incident. Of course, who would when Max was in power…No wait, Selvala was in charge then. Well, anyhow, I surprised you didn’t do much in the Vekaiyun Civil War. Vulshain seem to have done a lot of good.”

“We simply didn’t want to get involved,” Zak replied.

Dmitri raised an eyebrow. “Hm…I see. Well, I guess that is good. Vulshain has been criticized a lot for trying to help out too many other nations or get involved in their problems. Maybe you should teach my nephew a thing or two about how to handle that.”

“Oh good grief. You’ve been listing to what the Lazlowians have been saying, uncle,” Sam asked.
“What? I have every right to see what people are saying about my nieces and nephews.”

Zak chuckled a bit. “Well, sometimes you just know when you’ve got to go in. That’s why we went into Vulshain during their civil war. We border them.”

“True. True. Still, having a more experienced leader next door, might be useful,” Dmitri said with a grin. Suddenly, a Laiatanese female officer drew his attention. “EEEK!” Anna had apparently playfully slapped the Laiatanese soldier on the butt and was quickly walking away. “Oh Saint Aiya, give me strength. My fool headed niece Anna.”

“I hope she’s a bit tipsy,” Zak said with a laugh.

“Um…” Sam said. Anna came over. “Oh it’s just a bit of fun. I mean she has a nice butt.”
“I swear, you must go after every single single female,” Dmitri said.
“Oh hello uncle. Still, ashamed that I’m gay.”

“Not that you fooled head kit! The fact that you treat romance and relationships like a game of rolette. Or something.”

“I best be going that officer is storming over here.” Anna left quickly, winking at Tanya and blowing her a kiss as she made her escape into a crowd of people.

The Laiatanese officer turned and watched Anna for a moment, a male officer approaching her from behind with two cups. A quick conversation occurred between the two, resulting in the male officer laughing. She hit him in the stomach lightly, then began laughing a bit herself. She took a glass from the male, and kissed the male as they disappeared into the crowd.

“That went well. I was worried that my sister had caused an incident. I thought for a moment of inviting those two over though,” Sam said relieved.

Zak chuckled a bit. “I’m just relieved by their reaction. I thought they’d be offended too.”

“You have to forgive Anna. She probably is just bit a tipsy. Of course, if I wasn’t an alocholic, I might get tipsy myself.”

“Well, it is a time for celebration, and if it wasn’t my heart, I might join in a few rounds with the Premier of Vekaiyu.”
Dmitri drank from a glass of water.

“It’s fine, I understand completely,” Zak said with a smile.

“Just make sure you get those two officers’ names. I want to personally apologize for Anna’s behavior,” Sam added before drinking some of his ginger ale.

Zak nodded. “Of course.”

“Thank you. So Tanya, um…you heard tales of Yuri’s niece escaping the Death Squads right?”

Tanya nodded. “I overheard. It’s very interesting.”

"Oh. So you know that my family are descendents of Yuri’s niece then, and thus carry his blood in our veins.’

She nodded.

"Hm…I’m worried what Stu’s parents will say about this. I know how patriotic Stu’s father is. I think his mother might be okay with it, but Stu’s father…’

“Let’s just keep it under wraps for now. I’m sure she’ll tell them,” Zak said.

“Very well. But you must be wondering what this means for your history books then. Since you probably have in them that she died.”

“They’re due for an update anyway. We put enough cash into education that they can get new books about every four years if they need them.”

Sam nodded. “So, tell me about the Royalists? I’m very interested in hearing more about them.”

“They were the supporters of the monarchy, even after it was overthrown.”

“Still much be a few around I guess.”

“It’s possible I suppose. Doubtful, though.”

“Anything else? Were there attempts on Zukov’s life?”

Zak nodded. “A few. Mostly by Royalists.”

“Some most have been close calls.”

“Only one. A bullet went through his torso. Missed all the vital organs.”

“Wow. I see. So, what other changes did he do after he came to power?”

“Started writing the Constitution, starting a democracy, improving civil rights. Pretty much sweeping changes to a free country.”
“Almost too many things to count.”

“Did he do anything that kind of backfired?”

Zak thought for a moment. “None that I can think of off the top of my head. I suppose the Death Squads backfired in the idea that they’re looked down upon now.”

“I see. I bet Zukov was ashamed of what they did at times.”

“Probably. Necessary evil, I suppose. It would prevent any royal blood from having legitmacy for their government.”

“I see. But of course, there was Yuri’s niece who escaped. I wonder if the Death Squads ever attempted to secretly enter Vulshain to find her. There were stories that they did, but I’m not sure. A few nobles escaped into Vulshain.”

“Probably. I always heard they thought she was dead because they shot the family firing squad style.”

“Well, Vulshain had agents trying to save as many nobles as they could even risking their lives at times. His niece escaped in a separate group, of course, the Death Squads probably killed any Vulshainian and kept quiet about it.”

“That was their orders. Just write down numbers assigned to nobility families. Most of the families gave up their titles, so they were taken off the list peacefully. They were left alone and allowed to keep their land.”

“And those that didn’t, or were being helped by my country?”

“Shot dead, usually.”

“And the Vulshainians?”

“Imprisoned, I think.”

“Oh? So, they weren’t killed?”

“They might’ve been. They were probably imprisoned though. Don’t need to get involved with another country as you’re rebuilding your own.”

“Zukov was quite wise and smart. Of course, besides nobles, many priceless treasures were smuggled into Vulshain. For example, Stu’s noble ancestor who successfully fled into Vulshain also secretly smuggled many priceless relics and artifacts for fear that the Death Squads or the more radical followers of Zukov would destroy them.”

Zak nodded. “Zukov wouldn’t have allowed them to be destroyed. He understood that some things need to be preserved.”

“Well, there were some radical members who did just that: destroy those priceless artifacts and treasures. He must have done something about it then.”

“Arrested them. Pretty easy to do when you’ve got martial law in place for a few years.”

“I see. So, he wasn’t cold blooded as some said that he was.”

Zak shook his head. “Not at all.”

“What can you tell me about his family and personal life?”

“I know he was married, and had four kids. He went to college at the Korol’s College in Chechva. Didn’t have a politcal party. I know he’s buried in Tyvor.”

“No political party? I wonder if he approved of political parties. Ah, Cecilia mentioned that Zukov had to pull his successor’s butt out of the frying pan when he got caught in an affair.”

“He maintained neutral on parties. Didn’t really say anything about them.”

“And the thing about him having to save his successor’s political career?”

“I think that was true, I can’t remember exactly what happened.”

“Anyhow, how are you kids doing?”

“Very well, thanks for asking. Josef got into a nice prestigious college in Okezuka.”

“That’s good. Heard he got some scholarships and offers from some colleges here in Vulshain.” Sam smiled.

Zak nodded. “He’ll probably be sticking to Okezuka Provincial though. He’s wanted to go there all his life.”

“That’s nice to hear. You must have surprised when he got offers to colleges and universities here in Vulshain.”

Zak nodded. “I didn’t realize he applied.”

“Well, I might have suggested a few to him when y’all were visiting back during Christmas last year.”

Zak nodded. “Hey, nothing wrong with having more choices.”

“That’s true. So, how is your other son doing?”

“He’s doing well. Still in college.”

“That’s good. I wish they were able to come to the wedding.”

Zak nodded. “So do they. Stu understood, though.”

“Well, make sure to take some of the wedding caek for them now.”

Zak chuckled. “Will do.”

OOC: This is a collab post between myself and Vulshain.

Cecilia was still dancing with Stu when she saw her sister Anna slapped the Laiatanese female officer on the butt. “Oh Den Mother, did you just see what my sister did?”

Stu looked over as the male officer returned to his wife’s side. “What’d she do?”

'Slapped that female officer on the butt."

“Oh boy…” Stu replied as the male officer began laughing. “Doesn’t look like they’re too upset.”

“That’s good. Of course, you know already about how Anna acts.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, I’m not surprised.” He grinned.

She grinned back. “So, word is that Laiatan is dead set against Rygard becoming part of the ‘Vulshainian Commonwealth’.”

Stu shrugged a bit. “I haven’t heard anything official. It’s probable though.”

“Well, don’t get me wrong now, we don’t like the idea anymore than Laiatan does, but it’s either that or the Rygardi will vote to be annexed by Vulshain or Laiatan.”

“Then we don’t give them the option, I say. Just install a democratic form of government, let them vote for the president.”

“I was thinking the same thing, but then there’s the possiblity that the president will try to make us annex Rygard. The Commonwealth idea gives Rygard its independence and freedom, and satisfies those who want us to annex Rygard.”

“Who says you have to listen to the Rygardi president?”

Cecilia laughed. “Well, the Rygardi President might go around saying that Rygard is part of Vulshain, and we have a huge mess on our hands.”

Stu nodded. “What about that one province that wanted into Laiatan? We said no, haven’t heard much out of them since.”

“Not much. They’ve pretty much died after Laiatan said no. Anyhow, we just have to wait and see what the Rygardi people say. If they choose annexation, we’ll have to fight fang and claw against it. But if they choose commonwealth, then it’ll be easier. In time, after they’ve had a taste of freedom and being governed by a democracy, they’ll probably vote to leave the Commonwealth. Allowing us to dissolve the Vulshainian Commonwealth.”

Stu nodded. “Well, that’s above me, so I don’t have to worry about it.” He laughed a bit.

“Oh you!”
The Queen Dowager soon walked over. “May I take the next dance with my grandson-in-law?”
Cecilia bowed to her grandmother as she kissed Stu on the cheek. “Now behave with my grandmother Stu. I’m going to talk with some friends of mine.”

Stu nodded with a smile as he prepared to dance with the Queen Dowager.

The Queen Dowager smiled as she began to dance with Stu. “Commandant, you are quite the dancer. I see why my granddaughter fell for you.”

“Thank you,” Stu replied as he continued the dance.

“You’re quite welcome. We were having a wonderful and interesting discussion with Zak about Yuri and how Zukov attempted to wipe out his family.”

Stu nodded. “Yes, I recall that from my History class.”

“Well, I bet your History class mentioned Yuri’s niece.”

“The one that ended up not being the niece? Yes, it discussed the Royalist’s failings to convince the population.”

“Well, you see, Yuri’s niece did in fact survive. Cecilia was worried about what would you say if you found out about…”
“About me being the descendant of Yuri’s niece,” Cecilia said, rubbing the back of her head. "I’m sorry Stu. I should have told you, but I was afraid that you wouldn’t…’

Stu looked shocked for a few moments, before sighing a bit. “You know what, it doesn’t matter. You couldn’t control whose blood you come from, and besides, it’s his niece.” He smiled.

Cecilia smiled before embracing her husband. “You know Stu, you have got to be the Den Mother’s perfect gift to me. Because…”
She just kissed him on the cheek.

Stu hugged her tightly, kissing her cheek in response.

“Now, Cecilia you run along now. I think everything’s going to be alright,” the Queen Dowager said smiling. Cecilia nodded and kissed her grandmother on the cheek before kissing Stu on the cheek. Stu and the Queen Dowager went to back to dancing. “I am very happy that you took that well. You are indeed a very understanding and kindhearted person, Commandant…err…I mean Stu.”

Stu chuckled a bit. “Well, you can’t let history decide who you love I suppose.”

“That is true. Although, Cecilia might need your help for when you tell your parents about her bloodline. I understand your father is very patriotic.”

Stu chuckled a bit as he nodded. “Yeah, I’ve got a feeling he’s not going to take this too well. Or he might, you never know.”

OOC: Collab between me and SY

IC:

The Queen Dowager continued to dance with Stu. “Cecilia told me about you and hers first fight over where to spend your honeymoon. She said that you were not comfortable riding around in luxury.”

“We’re a conservative people, us Laiatanese. Traces back to the Revolution,” Stu replied as he continued dancing with the Queen Dowager.

“I understand. Still, I’m glad you too were able to work things out. Maybe you could take the Trans-Vulshainian Express another time. You don’t strike me as being devoted follower of Zukov.”

“It gets hammered into your head pretty well at a young age. Most people don’t remain hardline followers, but they still see him as a national hero.”

“Yes, he was a national hero. Sadly, he had to stain his hands with innocent blood to save his nation, but such is the destiny of all great heroes I’m afraid.”

“I wouldn’t exactly call the nobles that didn’t give up their titles ‘innocent’.”

“History is written by those who make it.”

Stu nodded. “That’s true, but still. He’s considered the greatest president the country’s had.”

“Except his successor who caused a great sex scandal,” the Queen Dowager replied.

“It really wasn’t as ‘great’ as it’s made out to be.”

Chuckling a bit she added, “He probably almost had a heart attack when he found out that his successor had committed such a scandal.”

Stu nodded. “It wasn’t pretty. He was impeached, but he wasn’t removed from office.”

"Still, Zukov must have been furious.’

“He was. There was a letter sent that showed his displeasure with his successor. It’s in the National Historic Library in Volkgoroda.”

Chuckling again, she smiled. “I would like to see it one day. My grandson tells me you will be working here for a while until both he and Zak can arrange things so you and Cecilia can work from either country.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, I may have to head back to Laiatan for a bit to help get everything settled.”

The Queen Dowager nodded. “I understand and I know Cecilia will too.”

“So, any thoughts on what to name your children?”

“Not particularly. It’s custom to wait a year or so after getting married before having children.”

“Oh…Hm…” Anatansya slightly tilted her head and smiled.

“What,” Stu asked, a bit confused.

“Heheheheh. You’ll find out.”

“Is she…?”

“You’re the only one she has been with now,” she said, smiling and wagging her tail.

“That explains why she’s been bringing it up so much,” Stu said with a small smile.

“Surprised you didn’t figure that out sooner,” she said, teasing her grandson-in-law.

“Just wasn’t expecting it so soon,” Stu replied.

“Well, she’s actually only a few days pregnant. So, it’s not that bad really. She just found out herself a week before you and your parents arrived. She was just as surprised as you are as a matter of fact.”

“Oh, okay,” Stu replied. He smiled a bit, still taking in the news.

“Since she’s only just started, you can’t really tell. But probably by next month, she’ll start showing signs. You still have to break the news of her lineage to your father now. That’ll be a lot harder than telling him that your new wife has become pregnant.”

Stu nodded a bit. “I’ll talk to him soon, don’t worry too much about that.”

“I won’t. But from what I’ve heard, he is quite the patriot.”

“To be fair, most of the country is patriotic. You’re proud to be a Lobo, be Laiatanese. I’m a patriot myself, it’s the whole reason I joined the military. I would die for my country if She needed me to.”

“That is true. And that is probably why Cecilia fell for you: you have a good heart, kind spirit. Gentle, but filled with much heroism.”
“My granddaughter couldn’t have picked a finer husband.” She smiled.

“Thank you. It means a lot to have your approval,” Stu replied with a small smile.

“You are most welcome, Stu. The Den Mother has surely blessed you and Cecilia.”

“That She did. She’s always seemed to be there for us.”

“She is. You know it is odd. Our family has the bloodlines of three royal families running in our veins: Vulshain, Vekaiyu, and Laiatan. By the way, are you interested in learning more about how you can to inherit an entire castle? I know of the situation involving it.”

“Yeah, sure,” Stu replied.

“Well, from what I can gather your ancestor, a noble of Laiatan, escaped from the Death Squads and smuggled not only he and his family as well as a portion of his family’s wealth, but also many priceless and valuable artifacts, relics, and treasures belonging to Laiatan. He was afraid that the zealots who had twisted Zukov’s noble goals would destroy them. You see your ancestor was quite knowledgeable about much of Laiatan’s ancient history. Nobility meant little to him and he would probably have gladly given it up, but the zealots killed any noble they got their hands on, regardless if that noble had already given up their title. ‘The only good former noble is one that was formerly alive,’ was the zealots’ saying. Thus, in order to save his family and the treasures of Laiatan, he fled Laiatan and smuggled what he could with him. Because of him, many treasures of your nation would have been lost forever as the zealots committed such acts as book burning, smashing of statues, and melting of gold and silver. Those acts was another reason why Vulshain did what it could save as many nobles as we could.”

Stu nodded. “Sounds like he was a good man.”

“Indeed, but sadly, he had to forsake his homeland to save its treasures and those he loved. The zealots, those few in Zukov’s inner circle probably passed into law that any noble who escaped into Vulshain was forbidden from ever returning. Under pain of death.”

Stu looked a bit confused. “Zukov never passed any laws like that. He had total control.”

“Well, it’s possible that they told the generals guarding the border to keep the escaped nobles from returning. But I’m sure Zukov cleaned his house of such radicals and zealots, hm?”

“Of course. He never even let them in.”

“Ah. I see. So none of the zealots ever gained power when Zukov was in charge, correct? Not even in the Death Squads?”

“As far as I know, the only ‘zealots’ that got in were the pro-Republic officials. They were pretty good at keeping most out, but I’m sure one or two slipped through.”

“I see. Well, Zukov was probably a man of his word and knew where to draw the line between freedom and anarchy.”

Stu nodded. “Zukov was in no way an anarchist. He believed in a strong, federal government rather than a confederacy. He believed in provincial rights, but saw the weakness in confederacy.”

“That is true. Anyhow, after your ancestor arrived safely in Vulshain, he became a noble of Vulshain, since many former Laiatanese nobles were given titles of nobility, but under the condition that they give up any claims to the Laiatanese throne. We didn’t want to be dragged into a potential civil war.”

Stu nodded. “Of course. Would’ve been bad for both nations.”

She nodded. “Your ancestor, using his family’s wealth was able to buy a castle. A modest one but one that reminded him and his family of the home that they were forced to abandoned. I found out that their home which had been in their family for generations had been reduced to ashes by the zealots and Death Squads. Sad isn’t it? I’m betting that Zukov was enraged by the zealots’ actions and had them crushed.”

“Quite a few people were hanged because of stuff like that.”

She nodded. “For years, your ancestor and his descendants lived in that castle. And well, I’m not sure which of your parents is descended from him, but your ancestor was a good man and a hero. Because of him, the legacies of Laiatan were saved so countless generations can cherish and treasure them for years to come.”

“I’ll have to see about getting the Museum out to the castle to take a look at some of the stuff.”

“You should. It would be a great way to further strengthen the bonds between our two nations.” She chuckled a bit. “To think, you had an ancestor who was a noble, and yet he was as patriotic as you are.”

“Well, it’s like I said. Most people were and are patriots and nationalists. Incredibly proud to be able to call themselves Laiatanese. Even before the country was politically called Laiatan, the people joined together because they were all Lobo. In fact, the land itself was referred to as Laiatan. The biggest reason Laiatan is called Laiatan.”

“Yes, the same is true of us Vulshainians. Of course, I wonder if you will turn your new castle into a museum and keep some of the treasures and artifacts there and give any proceeds to charity like to injured veterans’ funds or burned victims or children’s hospitals. Your ancestor would be proud of you.”

“It’s likely it will be turned into a museum. Use the money for upkeep of the museum and donate the rest to somebody.”

She nodded. “Cecilia mentioned that underneath all of their muscle was a brain.” She chuckled.

“Well of course there is,” Stu replied with a laugh. “I graduated from college with a 3.6 GPA.”

Anatansya laughed. “Cecilia has you beat. She graduated from the Academy with a 3.91 GPA.”

“Oh don’t look so sad, she still counts on her fingers,” Anatansya winked at him.

Stu laughed. “Well, she certainly didn’t marry me just for my brains.”

Anatansya laughed as she continued to dance and talk with Stu.

Cecilia was busy getting some punch when she almost bumped into a female Laiatanese officer. “Oh I’m sorry…” Cecilia recognized her as being the one who had been slapped by her tipsy sister Anna on the butt.

The woman turned around, smiling. “Oh no, you’re fine.” She turned her attention back to her husband, but turned back to Cecilia. “You’re Premier Rainard, right?”

“That is correct. Well, my last name is Riskotov now, but yes.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” the woman said, extending her hand to Cecilia. “I’m Major Aleksandra Romanova Lyzlov, Laiatanese Army. This is my husband, Colonel Konstantin Leonidov Lyzlov, Laiatanese Army.” Aleksandra motioned towards her husband, who extended a hand to Cecilia.

Cecilia shock both their hands. “Nice to meet you both.”

Konstantin laughed before taking a drink of his glass, receiving a playful glare and a light punch to the shoulder from Aleksandra. “Don’t worry about it, Premier.”

“Thank you. I saw how infuriated your wife was, and thought it be best to apologize to you. Of course, knowing my sister Anna, she probably didn’t realize you were married.”

“It’s fine, I found it quite amusing,” Konstantin replied, grinning down at his wife. Aleksandra rolled her eyes, laughing. “Well, I wouldn’t have expected her to know I was married,” Aleksandra said, smiling at Cecilia.

“That is true. Oh wait…you found it amusing that someone was hitting on your wife,” Cecilia asked Konstantin.

“I’m not going to go beat up your sister, if that’s what you’re asking,” Konstantin replied with a laugh. “Besides, she’s stuck with me for almost 30 years. I think she would’ve left by now if she wasn’t happy.” Konstantin smiled at Aleksandra, putting an arm around her.

“Well, you weren’t happy with it, especially when you yelled for everyone to hear you when my sister slapped your butt,” Cecilia said to Aleksandra.

“I was more surprised than upset, to be honest,” Aleksandra replied.

“Ah. Never been flirted by a woman huh?”

“Sure, in my younger years.”

Cecilia laughed a bit. “Much have been…interesting.”

Aleksandra nodded with a laugh. “Yeah, it certainly was.” Konstantin laughed with his wife, rubbing her back. “I wasn’t expecting it either,” Konstantin said.

Cecilia laughed. “Oh…Go on. I would like to hear more,” she said as she drank a bit of her punch.

“Well, Anna was a bit tipsy when she did it. She usually behaves herself, but I guess she decided to have a bit of fun since this is a happy occassion.”

Aleksandra waved her hand dismissively. “Ah, don’t worry about it.”

“Thank you.” Deciding to change the subject, she asked, “So, how did you two meet?”

“We were stationed at the same base and we just sort of hit it off,” Aleksandra answered. “Started dating, and got married about a year and a half later. Now we’re here, 28 happy years of marriage.”

“Any kids?”

“Three, actually. One in college, two in high school,” Konstantin replied.

“That’s good to hear.”

Aleksandra nodded. “All with an interest in the military,” she said proudly.

“Well, about the same with my family. Vulshainian Confederate Air Force, retired now though. And…well, I’m a couple of weeks pregnant.”

“Even though not showing any signs yet. And Stu is the only one I’ve ever been with. You could say the Commandant is quite the catch.”

“Oh, congratulations,” Aleksandra said, patting Cecilia’s shoulder. Konstantin nodded in agreement. “It’s the greatest feeling in the world, having kids.”

“It probably is. Of course, I’ll have to tell Stu. Which shouldn’t be so hard.”

Konstantin nodded. “I was ecstatic when Aleksandra told me she was pregnant when we had our first child.”

“I’m betting Stu will be as well. What did you name your first child?”

“We named him after Konstantin’s father, Leonid,” Aleksandra replied.

“That’s a beautiful name. I keep trying to get Stu to help me pick a name, and he keeps telling me we should wait.”

“Probably because he doesn’t know you’re pregnant. It’s custom to wait a while before having your first child in Laiatan. Gives the new couple some time together, be sure they truly are the perfect fit.”

“Well, to be honest, I think Stu and I are the perfect fit. We have our disagreements, and we managed to keep our relationship going strong despite living miles apart and being from two different countries and me being a world leader.”

“I don’t doubt you aren’t the perfect fit,” Aleksandra replied. “It’s just something that’s been passed through the generations.”

(OOC: Collab post between myself and Vulshain, the last in this thread.)

Cecilia nodded. “Well, Stu and I have a good understanding about our duties and that we both have responsiblities to take care of.”

Konstantin nodded. “Will you be staying in Vulshain or moving back to Laiatan?”

“Depends. I may have to move back and forth, but at the moment, we are discussing setting offices both here and in Laiatan. One for Stu and the other for me. That way we both can continue our duties.”

“I think he’ll be alright for his job. Luckily the Republican Guard falls under the Air Force, so it isn’t like he’s Chief of Staff. He’d have to give up his position if that was the case,” Konstantin continued.

“That or be promoted,” Cecilia replied

Konstantin laughed. “I don’t know where he’d go, he’s in charge of the Republican Guard, and the Chiefs of Staff are the heads of their branches.”

“Well, he could become one of the Chief of Staff. Anyhow, what do you think of Vulshain’s mech technology research? I’ve heard that many in Laiatanese military believe we should stop doing that research.”

“It doesn’t work like that, he’s in the Republican Guard, not the Air Force, Army, and so on,” Aleksandra said. “Anyway,” Konstantin continued, looking back to Cecilia after turning to listen to his wife. “I agree that the research shouldn’t be done to an extent you’re doing it. It’s just impractical to have massive mechs when you can have a hundred tanks, or fifty jets.”

“Yes, I have had the same thoughts lately myself, especially after looking at our budget.”

“Not to mention they’re hard to move around.”

“Agreed. Although we are experimenting with some laser weaponry, especially in terms of missile defense and anti-aircraft capabilities. Our siege tanks would be more effective actually as they proved themselves when took the Rygardi capital.”
“I’ll have to schedule a SITO meeting soon, though, especially in regards to Rygard,” she added.

Konstantin nodded in agreement. “I’m just glad that war’s finally over, and the troops have moved into a policing role.”

She nodded in reply. “It will take some time to do some cleaning house especially what with the corruption in Rygard’s military. Luckily, the Rygardi police were about the only ones who gave a damn about the civilians.”

“Perhaps you should consider putting the police above the military - temporarily, of course.”

“I’ve actually thought about that. The police were quite helpful when we were over there, so it makes sense actually.”

Konstantin nodded, and got ready to speak again before receiving a phone call. He pulled it out, and looked at the screen. “Ah, excuse me one minute.” He stepped away, leaving Aleksandra with Cecilia.

“So, how were the first years of starting a family like?”

“They weren’t too bad, actually. By the time I was pregnant the first time, we had plenty of money saved up and were able to support the child. That’s another reason it’s custom to wait, be sure you’re financially secure.”

“I see. Well, I don’t think I got to worry about my finances. I was always quite responsible and careful with my money.”

“And you’re also the Premier of Vulshain,” Aleksandra said with a laugh. “Most people don’t have that problem in Laiatan anymore, but it’s just custom. It started back when the middle class was finally starting to grow in the hundred years or so before Yuri."

Cecilia smiled and laughed as well. “That too. It’s custom here too, but sometimes people fall in love, but that’s life.”

Aleksandra nodded. “Of course, of course.”

“Sort of what happened with me and Stu I guess. Anyhow, what do you think of Vulshain?”

“Oh, it’s a beautiful country. The people seem nice enough, especially here. Kind of humorous, if you think about it. Less than two hundred years ago, we hated each other.”

Cecilia laughed. “That is true, but time heals all wounds I guess.”

“Yeah, that’s true. Rivers taking power probably helped, too. We felt sympathy towards you considering we effectively had the same thing, only hundreds of years before.”

"It is true. You had Yuri and we had Rivers. Even though we’ve had a few bad rulers, none of them were like Yuri or Rivers.’

“That’s true. After Yuri, he became the guide on who was truly a bad leader,” Aleksandra repsonded, nodding in agreement.

"It is the same with any similar leader. Hitler, Stalin, Mao for example. "

“Yeah, there’ve been a couple ‘bad’ presidents, but nowhere near Yuri. They’d have been impeached and removed from office.”

“That is true. Scandals and really bad decisions would force any leader to step down.”

Konstantin returned to the two women, slipping an arm around Aleksandra. “So what’re we talking about?”

“Oh politics and history,” Cecilia replied.

“Always fun,” Konstantin said with a grin. “What part? Kosma, the Lai’s? Or are we talking more modern?” Aleksandra rolled her eyes, laughing softly. “You’ll have to excuse my husband, he’s got quite the interest in history.”

“Oh about bad leaders and things. And don’t worry, I have a strong interest in history myself. I’ve been quite interested in Laiatan’s history prior to Yuri.”

Konstantin nodded. “Set the whole stage for what Laiatan is today.”

“Indeed. I’m actually quite interested in Korolina Katherine I.”

“Ah, one of the actually good korolinas. What do you know about her,” Konstantin asked.

“Well, that she was instrumental in strengthening relations with our country as well as introducing many freedoms to her people.”

“She was also the longest reigning and most often called the favorite pre-Revolution leader.”

“I see. She reminds me of Queen Sybilla Merririn. She was a patron of the arts. She implemented many reforms including the construction of sewer systems. It is said that her policies help strengthen our nation’s love of the arts, in fact making us quite popular for visiting artists all across the world. In fact, many artists who were critical of Zukov fled to Vulshain rather than face the
noose.”

“Interesting,” Konstantin replied. “Do you know how many artists fled?”

“I’m not sure, but a good many. Musicians, dancers, painters, and others fled to our nation. Vulshain was very open and willing to aid many who wished to escape Laiatan when Zukov rose to power. Of course the thing that has always been a problem between Vulshain and Laiatan has been the gypsies. Vulshain has laws protecting their nomadic lifestyle.”
“Prior to King Konstantin Arkadyon’s reign, gypsies were looked down upon, and some tried to force them to give up their culture. However, when a gypsy piper played for the Court of King Konstantin Arkadyon, he was so amazed by the performance that he abolished many unpopular anti-gypsy laws and implemented a good many that protected the gypsies, one of which allows them to move from province to province without having to register. There aren’t many gypsies, but there are a few left, mainly near our two borders. The main reason for the issue is I don’t think Laiatan recognizes the gypsies’ nomadic ways.”

Konstantin nodded. “I know a bit on this. There aren’t really any laws protecting them. The only ones I know of are laws forbidding their travel on private land. And movement between provinces is open and free anyway, so that doesn’t particularly matter.”

“Well the thing is we allow them to set up outside of cities or in public squares and parks where they can set up festivals and markets. It is their way to make money and help increase tourism for the city. However, I don’t think Laiatan allows them to do that.”

“They’re usually fine as long as it’s government land and isn’t in use, or say something like ‘No Trespassing’.”

“Well, they tend to just go in and set up, which can be an annoyance at times, but some gypsies will at least let someone know that they are setting up somewhere. They tend to be picky where they set up though.”

“Like where?”

“Well, they tend to set up in parks and also, if more than one gypsy band sets up, it can be a problem as they will request that the roads be blocked off so they can set up roadside markets, although we are working on a solution on that.”

“Laiatan doesn’t have many gypsies anyway, except for really the ones moving across from Vulshain. I do know we require them to have a paper that allows them to come into the country.”

She nodded. “Well, in the past it was something a problem between our countries, but I think we have worked things out though.”

“I think so. I haven’t heard much complaining,” Konstantin replied.

“True. Anyhow, Queen Sybilla Merririn was a devote follower of the Den Mother, although she was criticized a lot for her…promscious actions. She was known to have quite a few dalliances with artists and dancers.”

“Ah, I see. Did this continue through her reign,” he asked.

“Unfortunately, yes, but not as much as prior to it.”

“When was she in power,” Aleksandra asked.

“1771 to 1812,” she answered.

“So then we were already a Republic,” Konstantin said.

“No wait, she ruled from 1671 to 1712.”

“Oh, okay. Those were the good years in the Koroldom.”

“Indeed. The same with us,” Cecilia added.

“They were all good up until about Yuri’s coming to power.”

“That is true. Our leaders attempted to warn Yuri that he was shooting himself in the foot, but well, he didn’t listen.”

“Yeah, Yuri was hard headed like that.”

“Indeed. If you will excuse me I think Stu and I are due to cut the caek now.”
“It was nice meeting you both.”

“Nice to meet you too,” Konstantin and Aleksandra replied, heading off in another direction.

She met up with Stu. “So, ready to cut the caek?”

Stu nodded, smiling. “Sure, let’s do it.”

She smiled. Sam handed Stu and Cecilia the sword to the caek. “It’s traditional for the bride and groom to cut the caek with a sword.”

Stu took the sword and held it with Cecilia, ready to cut the caek.

They then began to cut the caek, accompanied by several people taking pictures with cameras or smartphones or recording it to show others who couldn’t make the wedding. Everyone cheered for them as Cecilia smiled and gave Stu a kiss on the cheek.

Stu smiled as he pressed a kiss to Cecilia’s cheek.

She took some of the icing and put on Stu’s nose, causing everyone to laugh.
She joined their laughing.

Stu laughed with them, taking a bit more icing and rubbed it on Cecilia’s nose.

Cecilia wiggled her nose as she laughed too.

Stu continued laughing as he served Cecilia and himself caek, someone else taking over for the caek cutting.

“You know this is something out of a storybook wedding,” Cecilia told her husband.

Stu nodded, staying close to his wife. “It is, isn’t it? Everything seems so perfect.”

“Indeed.” She smiled. “Let’s sit with the others.” They soon found Stu’s parents, the Queen Dowager, Sam and Cecilia’s other siblings.

Stu smiled as he pulled a seat out for Cecilia, and took a seat next to her.

Cecilia smiled as she sat down next to him. “So,” she turned to Stu’s parents, “are you two enjoying the wedding?”

Frederik and Natalia nodded, a great big smile on their faces. “Yes, very much. And we’re also very proud,” Frederik said, smiling over at the two.

“Thank you both,” Cecilia said. Sam smiled. “We’re proud of her too,” Taisyia said.

“Thank you, everyone,” Stu replied, beginning to eat his caek.

Cecilia smiled and began eating her caek as well. “So, where are you two going for your honeymoon?”

“We’re going to go visit northern Laiatan. Go around, see the sights, enjoy nature.”

“I look forward to it,” Cecilia said.

Stu nodded, taking a drink of water. “It is lovely up there,” Zak said, walking over with Tanya.

“I guess you two went there,” Erik asked.

“I lived in Orholva, Severitsa until I was 18,” Zak replied. “And we did go up north for our honeymoon as well, check out all the Revolution stuff.”

“You have to tell us some of the most popular sites then,” Cecilia asked.

“You definitely have to check out the campsite of his army when they were first getting built up. It’s incredible how they fit several thousand people in a small little location.”

Cecilia smiled and wagged her tail. “Stu, we have to see that.”
Sam chuckled. “That’s Cecilia for you: always the history buff.”

“Nothin’ wrong with it,” Zak said with a grin. “History’s a pretty important thing.”

“Indeed,” Sam said. “You two will probably have a lot of fun out there,” he added

“You’ll also have to go see oh… what was the name of it… Oh! Fort Vysokaya. It’s one of the forts built by Zukov after the Revolution to protect the borders from any foreign power. It’s built into a mountain.”

“Probably built to keep an eye on us. We did help many nobles escape when he came to power.”

“It’s actually one of the more northern forts, so I doubt he built it for that reason,” Zak replied.

“Oh okay,” Natalka said.

“Anyway, it’s pretty cool. It was actually stationed by a unit from the Strategic Missile Troops from the 60s to about the mid 70s.”

“Wow. Go on,” Cecilia asked as she continued to eat her caek.

“They stationed some SAM batteries up there before they had built a new site, so they decided to just use one that had been built beforehand.”

“I see,” Cecilia said. “Well, what other sites are there?”

Zak thought for a moment. “I’m sure there were other sites, but I can’t recall there names right now.”

"It’s okay. I’m sure we’re find out when we get there. Stu, you got a little bit of caek on your nose.’

Stu laughed, taking his napkin and wiping it off. “Thank you,” he said with a grin.

She gently kissed him on the cheek. “We do have to take care of a few things before we leave for our honeymoon.”

“Of course, I wasn’t expecting us to immediately go on it,” Stu said with a laugh.

She laughed as well. “Although, you two probably won’t be getting any sleep tonight,” Anna joked.

Stu rolled his eyes, laughing. “I’m sure we will.”

Cecilia shook her head. “Well, I don’t think we’ll be complaining,” she teased her husband.

Stu laughed, nudging Cecilia. “Remember, my parents are right here.” Frederik was laughing to himself a bit, Natalia shaking her head.

“Oh,” she said, blushing. “Sorry.”

“We were expecting it, just not expecting it’d be talked about openly,” Frederik said, still laughing.

“Well, I might be a bit tipsy,” Cecilia admitted, still blushing

Stu laughed, hugging his wife from the side.

She smiled, wagging her tail. “Your son is very sweet.”

“Thank you, we hope he is. That’s how we raised him,” Natalia said with a smile.

“He is. And he is safe hands,” Cecilia said.

“Good, we hope so.”

“Oh Zak, I need to eventually set up a date for the first SITO meeting,” Cecilia told the Laiatanese President.

Zak nodded. “Alright. Sometime in April will do just fine on my end. Just call and let me know.”

“I will. I also need to set up a meeting with your military liasion to discuss some things as well.”

“Alright. You should be able to call him directly, you have his number, correct?”

“I think so. I don’t have my phone with me right now. This is my wedding of course.”

“Of course, I was just being sure.” Zak laughed, patting Stu on the back.

“Stu will have to come along as well, he is the head of the Republican Guard,” Sam added

“Would you prefer the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff?”

“Well, we’ll have to think about that now,” Natalka said.

“If it’s military related between our countries, they’d be the ones to invite if you’re inviting Stu. They head all the branches of the military.”

“Hm…that makes sense, I guess. We’ll set up a date in April or early May to see when we can do this,” Natalka replied.

“Alright, perfect. Just send me all the details.”

“We will.”
“Are there any members of the Joint Chiefs who were well, not happy about the SITO,” Sam asked.

Zak shook his head. “No, not really. They’re all very vocal, and nobody said they weren’t happy with it.”

“I see. Anyhow, any updates on the elections?”

“Still showed winning by a landslide. That’s from all news outlets and parties, not just us.”

“That’s good,” Taisyia said.

“So, there shouldn’t be any surprises,” Zak said, putting his arm back around his wife.

“Well, be careful. We had a politician who was sure to win, until, a sex scandal, drastically swung the polls against her just days before the elections ended,” Sam warned.

“Well, I don’t plan on committing any scandals, and there isn’t anything scandalous I’ve done in my life that’ll effect the results,” Zak said, laughing a bit.

“That’s good. I guess your wife is the reason for that,” Cecilia teased.

“Let’s just say you wouldn’t be talking to him if he had committed anything… scandalous,” Tanya teased, holding Zak close.

Sam laughed. “Oh, maybe we should have done the ball and chain joke on Stu.”

“What do you mean,” Stu asked with a laugh.
“Oh Sam had this idea of coming to your bachelor party and asking your friends to put a ball and chain on your leg. You know the ball and chain joke when a man gets married.”

“Ah, right.” Stu laughed a bit, finishing off his caek.

Cecilia chuckled.
“You two are probably going to love this,” Sam smiled.
“Later tonight, we are going to shoot off fireworks in honor of you two,” Anna said.

“Really,” Stu asked, a smile on his face.

“Really,” Natalka replied. “You two deserve it. Besides, Cecilia is our sister.”

“Well, thank you. We really appreciate it,” Stu said, taking a drink of his water.

“You’re quite welcome,” Sam said.

Soon the wedding party was ending. Cecilia grinned as she tossed her bonquet of flowers in the air behind her. Every women rushed to get it! The one who caught it was Erik’s girlfriend, Coline.
“Hurry and take off her garter,” a Laiatanese officer yelled, which resulted in some laughter.

With a laugh, Stu knelt down next to Cecilia and removed the garter. Standing back up with it in hand, he tossed it behind him to the group of waiting men.

Erik nearly fell over as he caught the garter. “Yes!” His Vekaiyun grandfather sighed. “By the Almighty, boy, this is a wedding! Not a Laiatanese football game!”

The men in the group laughed, helping Erik maintain his balance. The group clapped for him, since his girlfriend caught the boquet.

Sam smiled. “Stu, you take good care of my sister!”
“Or we will turn you…into…into…a poodle,” Taisyia yelled. Everyone laughed.

Stu laughed, waving to Sam and Taisyia. “Will do, she’s in good hands.”

“Besides, I can’t see you looking like a poodle.”

“Yeah, I’d rather keep all my hair,” Stu replied with a laugh.

“You and me both!” She waved to everyone as she kissed Stu. Anna was crying. “My little sister has gotten married!”
Sam smiled as he patted Stu’s father on the back. “You raised a great son.”

Frederik smiled, nodding. “Thank you, Sam. It means a lot. I know your sister will be in great hands.”

He nodded. “And Stu is in good hands too.”

“I believe it,” he responded.

They all watch as Stu and Cecilia got back in the coach to head back to the palace. “So, looking forward to the fireworks this evening?”

Stu nodded, relaxing a bit in the couch. He placed his arm around her, pulling her closer.

“So, we now begin our new life together as husband and wife.”

“And mother and father,” Stu said, placing a hand on Cecilia’s stomach.

She smiled, leaning her head on Stu’s shoulder. “We are going to have to tell your parents about that and me being Yuri’s descendant. Don’t know which one your father will freak out more to.”

“I think he’ll be okay as long as we don’t call him Yuri, if it’s a boy of course,” Stu said with a laugh, resting his head on Cecilia’s.

“Well that’s a relief.” She was quiet for a bit. “Seriously, he’ll be okay as long as we don’t call the boy Yuri?”

“I’d assume so. He knows I love you, and he’ll just have to accept it.”

“That is true.” She held his hand. Their two wedding rings touching each other.

Stu smiled, looking down at his. “Incredible they were able to make rings like this so long ago.”

“Indeed,” she replied. “So, what do you want in your office when we get it ready?”

“Eh, let’s worry about that when we need to. It’s our wedding night.”

She nodded. “I’m going to love being your wife,” she said with a smile.

“I’m going to love being your husband,” Stu responded with a smile.

Later that night, Cecilia and Stu were on a balcony of a fancy restaurant not far from the palace. “Fireworks should be getting ready soon. I can’t believe Sam got us reservations here. This place is almost always hard to get reservations. Even government officials have trouble getting reservations.”

“Well, when you’re the king I don’t think you’ve got an issue,” Stu replied with a laugh, looking up in the sky.

“Well, he probably had to book the reservation months in advance,” she replied.

“Could be it,” Stu replied, smiling at his wife.

Their food arrived. Cecilia had ordered shrimp alfedo. As soon as the waiter had left the first firework went off, lighting up the night sky.
Stu grinned as he placed his napkin in his lap once his chicken alfredo arrived. He looked up into the sky to watch the fireworks, before returning his attention back to Cecilia.

“Beautiful isn’t it. Seems my family really went all out to celebrate our wedding,” she said.

Stu nodded, smiling. “I appreciate it so much.”

“Same here,” she said. “Besides you’re part of the Rainard family too.”

“And you’re part of the Riskotov family, too.”

“Well, this food isn’t going to eat itself now,” she said chuckling before she began to eat. “Oh my!” She said as one of the fireworks had lite up the sky with a heart with Cecilia and Stu’s names in the center. It read, ‘Cecilia and Stu Forever.’

Stu looked up and smiled as the firework disappeared, looking back over to Cecilia and leaning across the table, kissing her.

She kissed him back. “Let’s eat now.”

Stu nodded, gently taking her hands and saying a quick prayer to the Den Mother. He began eating, smiling at Cecilia.

She smiled and began eating as well.
She was very happy. And she knew Stu was too. Besides, their family would eventually have a few new members