What a time it was in Setzna

June 22nd, 1984.
JFC Arcadia, The Republic of Setzna.

A young, fresh new RSMC 2nd Lieutenant straight from the Arcadia State Naval Academy stepped out of his M151 jeep and looked around. He smiled and walked into the command building.

“Ah, Lieutenant Verlhan, welcome. Please take a seat” A Colonel beckoned for William to sit down.

“Thank you, sir” William sat down in the chair across from the Colonel, looking sharp and sitting up straight. It was his first assignment and he was eager to receive it.

“Would you like some water? Maybe a snack to quell your hunger for the meantime? It is almost mess time, William” the Colonel pulled out two cups from under his desk and a bottle of water, filling them both and sliding a cup to William.

“Oh, thank you, sir. So, if you don’t mind me asking straight off the bat, where am I getting assigned?”

The colonel chuckled, “Eager as always aren’t you?”

“Aye, sir!” William took a sip from his glass.

“Anyways, you’ll be assigned to the II MEU” said the Colonel. He watched as the William’s facial expression changed, “Surprised, aren’t you? Yes, we’re sending you to the border. If the Stratarians give you any trouble, just holler.”

“Aye… sir…” William stood up, saluting the Colonel and then leaving the building. He got in his jeep and drove off towards the officer’s building to pack his things.

Border… duties?!.. Oh well, I guess I deserve it for expecting a deployment to a combat zone…