What can we do for you?

A little over two years earlier

Ikrisia drummed her fingers against the desk as she listened to the scientist in front of her drone on about his plans and ideas. Clearly he had excellent poise - otherwise, he wouldn’t have been able to reach an audience with her. Most projects, actually, nearly all projects, didn’t require her attention. But this one was a little different. It was funded from old money, on what could be considered radical ideas.

“As we all know, milady, the enemies of Vekaiyu will continue to improve and strengthen their resolve against us. It’s inevitable that their efforts will try to destabilize our nation and the union we share with other vulpine-majority claims. Sure, we can maintain the classic route of military-funded technology and thousands of men and women in our military, but I propose something different.”

Ikrisia was hoping the meeting would end sooner than later. After all, there were other more pressing needs at hand. “Yes?”

The scientist continued. “I would like to utilize the various experiments that have been kept under close guard by the Vekaiyun government and the Vekaiyun military to create super weapons. In short, hand-picked Vekaiyun citizens to create a super army of individuals who, armed with particular powers, are able to do the work of entire divisions.”

Ikrisia scoffed. “How do you propose to do that, Kivio…”

“Reyneskoyey. Ives Reyneskoyey. Milady, I was on the project that achieved magnetic flight. I believe we can apply this and other powers to living beings. Magnetism, for instance, could be applied by simple corruption of the Gaussian Laws as they relate to quantum mechanics, in short, by playing with the time scales utilized, we would be able to ‘magnetize’ cognitive thought. Better known as telekineses. Other projects are just as potent.”

Ikrisia leaned forward in her seat. “And you believe it is that simple?”

“I can’t precisely say one way or another, to be honest. I would require your approval for such a dangerous endeavor, however.”

“Dangerous?”

“Yes, milady. We haven’t isolated all scenarios. We would need proper testing subjects. Preferably younger individuals while their minds are still malleable.”

Ikrisia paused. A wealth of memories flooded back into her mind, of how she herself was a test subject by the Maxist government in a secret program known as “Project Uveshk”, which sought to train children into uper soldiers for the Vekaiyun military. While the project had long since been disbanded, remnants of its heinous and horrifying acts left scars on those who were unfortunate enough to have “graduated” the program, those who were still among the living. Ikrisia, being one such unfortunate individual, knew all too well of the dangers and heartbreak with tearing children from their families at a young age to become property of the state and its whims. She knew all to well of the “nurturing” aspects these madmen had.

“Absolutely not,” she snapped. “I cannot, will not allow such testing to be done on my watch. Not now. Not ever.”

Ives’s face darkened. “But milady, I believe we are so terribly close. Allow me the funding necessary to conduct such experiments and, if they are successful, we could, why, we could render whole divisions obsolete. Vekaiyu would be a much stronger nation!”

“And if they were to disobey? What then? What if these individuals happen to grow a conscience?” She paused as her ears bent back. “What if they earn the right to a soul? And realize who and what attempted to take their free will from them?”

“I don’t follow. If trained correctly, they can be devoid of any free will.”

“You are not allowed to conduct these experiments, Reyneskoyey,” she replied coldly. “Return to your work and abandon all thought on the matter.”

The scientist hesitated, then piped up. “But we’re so close! All the theory is correct - my research assistants have all checked over the work! We just need the approval, that’s it!” He held up his hands. “It’s forward progress! The next natural step! We cannot stifle progress!”

“You are out of order, Reyneskoyey. Leave me and return to your work. Alone.”

“We must begin the experimentation, milady! Why don’t you comply?”

“I’m not sure I like your tone,” she replied. “No children! Prisoners are for experimentation.”

“The mind of a prisoner is already corrupt!” he exclaimed. “We need an uncorrupted mind!”

“Then you will have no test subjects,” Ikrisia said as she gritted her teeth. “So long as I am alive, such experimentation will never transpire.”

“You cannot stop progress!” Reyneskoyey cried. “Think of what all this will accomplish. If this experiment of ours works-”

“Our experiment?” Ikrisia interrupted. “Oh no. Not ours. But you will have plenty of time to cognate that thought. For I have heard enough. Kivio Reyneskoyey, your work is henceforth defunded, your research assistants shall be re-assigned, and you shall be barred from participating in the field of research and development at any level in Vekaiyun society. I will not tolerate careless and crass behavior when it comes to the lives of the individual. Nevertheless, I must thank you for interfacing with me today, Reyneskoyey. The display of your true colors has indeed preserved the nation and the individuals within it, and will for years to come. Your removal is one of addition. Onward toward Vekaiyun progress, as you so eloquently put it.” She pointed to the door. “Good day.”

present-day

Despite being a relatively warm morning in the southern lands of The Levenasi, a province in Vekaiyu, rain continued to fall. It was a warm rain, the type of rain that had a slight odor of refreshing rebirth to the vegetation below. Rays of sunlight pierced through the tall, thick tree trunks around the veiled grove that offered little protection from the dampness around.

A steel sheet offered much better protection. But why stop there? More steel plates would do a much better job, of course. So they continued to spread metal plates across the top. Slowly. Silently. It wasn’t perfect - the plates were of uneven height, and gaps were between a few of them. An artisan would’ve called their work sloppy. But this wasn’t art - it was innovation. It was a miracle.

“Excellent work,” an older Reyneskoyey proclaimed, breaking the silence as he looked at the four children eagerly. “I appreciate the shade from the rain. But only temporally. See, children, there is an analogy in the steel structures you build. I have done well in these past few years, training you and giving you all you needed to hone your newfound skills. While there were many setbacks… we all remember the many who sacrificed their own lives for the furthering of our understanding… the clandestine construction of the future was always within our grasp.”

“But you have been hiding long enough, my children.” He looked around at the other individuals surrounding the fourn. “Our children. Today, some of you will be assigned your first mission. You see, it was three years ago that I began this project and rescued you from the dingy and drab foster home. Had my team not dissented orders from the government, that might have been the end of it. Luckily, we did just that. I tried, pleaded with the Premier to have our work officially recognized by the Vekaiyun government two years ago. But she stubbornly refused. It has become clear - abundantly clear - that she will remain a stumbling block in our gift of scientific breakthrough.”

He paced around them, the four vulpine children - aged between 13 and 15 years old. They remained focused, poised, and emotionless. “She must be removed. Totally. Or she will certainly remove you.”

“You see, children, it isn’t treason to kill off a leader. It’s rewarded with appointment. Levinile sent Selvala to prison. Selvala killed Venavle. Venavle killed most of the Vekaiyun Royal Family. Indeed, when a leader becomes stale and resistant to change, as Levinile has, it is both accepted and morally right to remove them. And she must be removed. For science and progress.”

He pointed his finger at one of them. “I will send you. Aksynia.” He pointed to the eldest individual - a female. “You are the oldest and therefore should have the least trouble in this mission. I would send all four, but I cannot risk sending everyone, or even half. It has to be one.” He looked down at Aksynia. “She is dangerous. But if you follow your training, you should succeed, my child. I would never send you on a mission I did not believe you could complete.”

“I concur,” she responded.

“Tomorrow you shall depart. We will take care of everything until your interface with Levinile.”

“I concur.”

Residency of the Premier, Eldura

It was surprisingly difficult for Aksynia to enter the grounds of the Premier - as far as she could tell. She realized that entrance through normal means would have been impossible: the grounds were guarded and, while she probably could stop or at least deflect bullets at this point, she would rather avoid detection. So, upon the suggestion of her superiors, she did the only thing she could: wait until the evening and create a path for herself. After scaling a building via lone pipework crawling from the top of the edifice, she grabbed an iron pipe from her bag and gripped it with one hand, holding it in the direction of where she wanted to arrive - somewhere on the roof. She closed her eyes and, after abandoning any common sense she learned over the fifteen years of her life, gripped the pipe with both hands. She jostled somewhat, but remained suspended in the air. Knowing her window of time was short, she darted toward the roof, silently moving across the night sky.

When she arrived on the roof, she put the pipe back in her bag and made her way across the residency, trying to keep silent. Based on what she was told, Ikrisia would either be in her office or quite possibly in her aquatic room resting. But she had to at least get in first. The scientists told her there would be a way in through ductwork, especially if it had a metal grating. Eventually she found her target, unscrewed the bolts, and worked her way inside, slipping through undetected.

After a bit of time familiarizing herself with the duct work, she knew she had to work fast. After all, moving around made noise, and attempting to stick to the duct was even more noisy. So she was quick to find an exit, pushing out another grate with her power. She then used her pipe to “slide down” into a room with various equipment, a pool, and a rather large tank of water. The aquatic room, probably.

But no Ikisia. She would have to wait for her to appear instead of risk moving through another room. At least she hadn’t been detected thus far. Perhaps she was better than she thought? She looked around the room, taking inventory of what she could use. Some objects were metal. Some were not. Actually, most were not. There was some natural fauna, plastic, marble even. Nothing too useful.

Still, Levinile couldn’t have been a worthy opponent. She was a leader. Leaders just, well, lead. They couldn’t really fight. She read the stories about how Venavle’s head was chopped off by shears from Selvala McEva, who was later imprisoned. Most of the royal family was killed without a fight after they were sequestered. And Ikrisia was nothing more than an ignorant pacifist. But her pacifism and fear of technology sent thousands of Vekaiyuns to death over the fields of Listonia, Dveria, and other “meaningless wars” as the scientists mused. If her stubborness wasn’t a problem, think of how well their newfound technology could have benefited the military. In general, science is used for good. Even if it falls into the wrong hands - the wealth of wisdom that comes from beholding such superiority almost always causes a re-focus of values and directs them toward the good of all species.

The door made a sound. Quickly, she moved to her left on the side of the hinges. As she peered from behind the open door, a vulpine female entered the room. She instantly knew it was Levinile as she was still in uniform. This was too easy. The Vekaiyun leader didn’t seem to notice her as she walked over to sit in a chair, unfurled a newspaper, and started reading. Levinile, as far as she could tell, appeared younger than she expected. Weren’t most leaders and rulers old and rigid in their ways?

“You may close the door,” she spoke. “That is for your protection, not mine.”

Akysnia’s eyes widened, making her lose her concentration for a second. She froze when the eyes of Levinile focused directly on her. This was it - her training culminated to this very moment. Immediately she ran toward the Vekaiyun Premier, who had already stood and met her near the front entrance. She attempted to volley a series of blows in order to take her down, but Levinile met her each time, almost as if she knew her next move. What’s more, her blocks actually hurt. A lot. She grunted and attempted to evade her last blow, which landed on the door, slamming it shut and cracking the wood in the process.

Collecting herself, she removed her pipe and charged at her again. “Do not reveal your powers unless absolutely necessary”. A quick swipe from the pipe did little to slow Ikrisia, who caught her and went on the offensive, attempting to backhand her into submission, but again Aksynia blocked. She was beginning to lose her grip on the pipe, so she magnetized it to herself, figuring the Vekaiyun leader would believe she had a strong grip. A left jab was evaded, followed by a quick hook. She traded a chop with a kick to the leg, which landed, though her hand holding the pipe jerked. Somehow, Levinile’s right hand couldn’t block.

Ikrisia used the blow to sweep Aksynia over and roll her into a take down hold, but it didn’t quite seem correct, like she couldn’t pull off the move. She should’ve loosened her grip on the pipe if she wanted to do that. Unless…

Aksynia looked up at her opponent and focused her powers on the hands of Ikrisia. They moved apart, much to the amazement of both vulpines. “Magnetic?” She then lifted her up into the air, holding her hands up to make them useless. Finally, she was subdued. But her hand was still magnetized to the pipe. A quick blow and a change of grip should fix that. But before she could gain the upper hand, Ikrisia swung her legs and kneed her quickly in the gut. She then repeated the measure twice more, Aksynia not quite able to block. She hadn’t really fought like this before.

They both fell. Ikrisia, not quite sure what just happened, rolled over and landed a breath-taking blow to her side. It was enough to help her lose concentration as the Vekaiyun leader placed her in a choke-hold and stood up, cradling her neck in the crease of her arm.

“Who sent you?” she demanded.

Aksynia needed to free herself quickly. She focused on the arm, then followed it to the hand, but it wasn’t moving - she couldn’t quite see it. But she could see her pipe, which had rolled to the floor. It lifted in the air and struck her in the back of the head, which caused Ikrisia to fall to the floor. As soon as she was prone, Aksynia went for her, but was met with the bottoms of her boots as Ikrisia pushed her off, using her momentum to leap back to her feet.

Enough was enough. She gained control of Ikrisia’s arms and used a closed fist to strike her in her own head. One blow grazed her, the other was dodged completely. To keep her on edge, Aksynia then locked her arms together. But Ikrisia slipped her arms over Aksynia’s head, attempting to subdue her and squeeze her neck. This was getting serious. She focused on whatever she could use in the room to fling at the Vekaiyun leader. The metal chair. Her pipe. Some swimming goggles. The grate she had knocked off earlier. But she evaded, and her grip increased. As her body turned a different direction, all she could see was an air cylinder, probably for diving. She focused on it and thrust it toward Ikrisia’s head. But the Vekaiyun Premier lifted Aksynia’s body and used it as a shield. The tank struck her in the side, deflected, and penetrated partway through the wall to their left.

Ikrisia slammed her against the wall as Aksynia writhed. Aksynia felt her grip loosen, so she attempted to land a blow on Ikrisia, but couldn’t focus. She was losing concentration and was in too much pain to use her ability. Her side hurt badly. Ikrisia, her hands finally free, noticed a regulator hose hanging from the tank jammed in the wall and tied it around Aksynia’s neck.

“Now,” she said, gritting her teeth. “Who sent you?”

Aksynia attempted to focus, but the hose was some kind of plastic or rubber. She couldn’t concentrate. And she couldn’t get a clear shot of Ikrisia’s hand, especially after she gripped her neck and pointed her gaze upward.

“Who sent you?!”

She shook her head.

“Answer!”

She could barely see Ikrisia’s left arm - the skin torn and bleeding with crimson blood. Who was this leader anyway? Either way, she wouldn’t talk. The mission was too important. Even as she passed out from the lack of oxygen, she wouldn’t talk.

Once Aksynia woke, she noticed the Vekaiyun Premier standing in front of her, wearing a pair of thick black gloves and gripping two wooden handles. While she couldn’t tell for certain, she figured the handles were connected to some kind of clippers, possibly wedged near her neck, but she couldn’t tell. Frankly, she didn’t have the luxury.

“Now,” Ikrisia began, “who are you?”

Aksynia didn’t move.

“I can chop your head off without a thought,” she continued. “You are ready to die for your cause? At such a young age? You are willing to throw away some forty years because of a perverse dream?” She paused. “I know of your ilk. I was cut from the same cloth. And if you believe that their desires are aligned with yours, you’re nothing but a fool and I should kill you right now. But I don’t believe that is the case. Because you’re simply not that strong. If you were strong enough, you would’ve put up more of a fight and I would have no trouble in killing off a drone. But I don’t believe they’ve beaten the soul out of you just yet.” She glared at her. “Well?” When Aksynia didn’t speak, she laughed. “I was trained to be a super soldier. My guess is you were trained for the same purpose. Obviously their tactics didn’t quite work on me. If they didn’t work on you, I suggest you speak right now, because otherwise I will chop your head from your body and go about my evening in peace.” She flinched the handles.

“There are many of us!” Aksynia said in a panic.

Ikrisia shrugged. “Why should I care? Does your magnetism protect you from neurotoxins? From organophosphates? Of course it doesn’t. You can’t win. Did you honestly think it’d be that easy to take me down? I fought on countless battlefields and saw my comrades vaporized in front of my eyes back when you were at your mother’s tit! Why do you think my arms are metallic? Do you think I wanted to be reduced to nothing more than an armless husk in the middle of a warzone? You know nothing. But I can overlook that. Just tell me where the others are. Your life will be spared, and the rest will be obliterated.”

“Never!”

Ikrisia leaned on one of the handles. “From one super soldier to the other, is it better to kill the least amount of people, or the most? Either they kill or I do. That’s our reality.” She flashed a look that was difficult to decipher - it was half sympathetic and half coy, almost as if she was certain there was an answer that was completely preposterous.

“I don’t know where they are! They drove me here!”

“But you could certainly point them out, right? Their location?”

Aksynia didn’t respond. She just looked away.

“You will. Because while your scientists have their ways, I have mine. I will break you if I must.” She looked down at her. “In the meantime, you will tell me everything you know. I have all night.”

Aksynia frowned, and nodded slowly.