What Lies Within

As conflict and peacetime ebb and flow like the waves of the great Gulf of Itur, so do the duties of maintaining a nation. Maintaining, perhaps, isn’t a proper word here, but of course the definitions often change with the nature of any given situation. Leadership, as it were, was like life for Premier Ikrisia Levinile: confusing yet capable, tantalizing yet tumultuous, exciting and exhausting. The life of a supersoldier was clearly defined and a straight path with signage and paved roads. The life of a common girl living in a large vulpine city was completely the opposite - a winding path but full of surprises and chances of whimsy. Here, in leadership, as the Premier of Vekaiyu, the path was a difficult morass of brush with little guidance. Only a book of past experiences and past mistakes by her predecessors provided some semblance of what to avoid, and the hands of several dozen ministers and generals would help. But the forest was dark, and she could see the eyes of thousands of individuals watching her every move, waiting, plotting, and, of course, executing.

Or, perhaps, just one set of eyes in particular.

“You are the Premier of Vekaiyu, are you not?”

Ikrisia made a face as she looked over the older woman, likely hunched from years of labor. She wore a rather dark cloak, which didn’t quite fit in with the populace in Calesu. They were a more expressive type, spoiled by the sea and the warmer temperatures. Despite this, Ikrisia was keen to wear something more comfortable to her nature - an unassuming black outfit of dress and hosiery, along with a coat to keep her warm, appearing as a typical rootless individual from her native Listonia, formerly Dveria, so long ago. “Do I appear as the Premier of Vekaiyu?”

She shook her head, almost like her response was a disappointment. “Not in body. But some can see through the body.”

With a smirk, she folded her arms across her chest, arms that hid their steel composite frameworks exceptionally well. “Oh? I think the Premier’s… too serious. Yeah, really, too serious. Maybe she should go on vacations to prevent her from getting those premature wrinkles all the commercials seem to be talking about. Or, maybe she should take up drinking to develop a better personality, you think?”

The old woman gazed at her with unsettling eyes. “Or smoking, like your father once did.”

“What did you say?” she asked after a pause. A slight scoff lightened the mood. “How would you know if my father smoked, or even if I knew about my father? After all, I’m some random walker on the street, about to hit the beach to catch a swim, perhaps.”

“You’re Ikrisia Levinile, daughter of the Listonian.” The Premier’s eyes widened and her ears fell as she probed a wiry digit in her face. “You were utilized as a commodity, made to serve the state, and restored it from the evil that once gripped the land. But you’ve become lax in your position, and have placed yourself, indeed this very nation, in the path of ancient evil.” Ikrisia tried to get a word in edgewise, but her accusatory demeanor turned a once confident vulpine female into a submissive listener. “As St. Kabuu says, woe to the one who is complacent. As St. Aiya says, blessed is the accusation, for accusation begets repentance. May you never understand comfort, Premier Levinile.”

The Premier furrowed her brow after pulling her coat closer to her frame. She swore the air felt cooler despite being nowhere near a shadow. “Who are you? What is it you want?”

“In our world, there exists great evil. Old evil.” The old woman squinted her eyes as she looked up at the young Ikrisia. “And it threatens the livelihood of every race and every creed.”

“There… always is evil in this world,” Ikrisia retorted, though with how well the woman knew her story, she dared not speak further. Instead, with a face full of worry, she looked down at the lady, who pulled what appeared to be an carved wooden mask hearkening back to a time of pagan Vekaiyu, when God slept in times of old. The enlarged eyes appeared sleepy, and the grin was unsettling.

“You must return to the site in The Levinasi. You know which site I speak of. Protect yourself. You’ll understand why.” When she held the mask up, Ikrisia gingerly took it and felt the cold jaku wood in her hands.

“Return to The Levinasi?” she questioned. “I don’t have time to visit that…” when she looked down, the old woman from before had vanished. “That… torturous place.” The Premier searched for her, using her neck to twist her head and search every visible area in sight, but she truly was gone. Her attention turned to the mask. “What is this? And… where exactly did you come from?”

“I don’t know what it means.”

A marbled room with a running brook and fish tanks built into the walls was designed to provide the premier some solace as she went about her normal duties. It… simply wasn’t working today. While she appreciated the work recently done in her office, and while the marine theme was a nod to hobbies that had provided respite, it was difficult to find peace in a wooden expression that bore an unsettling facade.

Fr. Fransis Ilyatroviyey peered from the stacks of opened and closed books from other side of the desk. He, like Ikrisia, was gray-furred and rootless in origin, but in a Vekaiyu that had since made peace with the new state of Listonia, the distinction was only an observation and nothing more. He moved his spectacles up the bridge of his muzzle. “I’ve been searching records ever since you provided me an image,” he began as he beckoned to hold the mask. He felt the ridges in it, moving over it with his spindly digits. “It’s clearly pagan based on the symbolism. Masks were of course an important facet in Vekaiyun culture, and, of course, some provinces still had pockets of people who still revered them. Country folk.” He smirked. “Country folk like us, like rootless.”

“I know all of that,” Ikrisia replied, “But then why was it given to me? What does it mean? Can you decipher anything from it?”

The priest cleared his throat. “Oh, I have some resources. Whoever carved this must’ve been a master craftsman, as the face has much detail, but when we turn it over, there’s… hey, there’s no name, no marking whatsoever.” He sighed. “Rats. Well, I can already tell the wood is jaku, which is common as mud around here, but the darker woodtones are more prevalent in eastern Vekiaiyu. Based on the art, it should be from the time when Vekaiyu was Kelsaria, and when east Vekaiyu was known as Lesa. It would be prudent to confirm this via dating, but I’m pretty sure my research is correct. Lesa is the least-known of the three ancient states of Kelsaria, but there’s much lore surrounding it - the Eternal Army of the Dead, the Thousand Years of Yearning, and the Hell of Bog all come from their culture. Ever heard of the Asixyah? The beast with no form that can only survive in shadows? Its origin comes from Lesa.”

Ikrisia looked into the eyes of the middle-aged priest. “What’s your point?”

“They were, well, let’s say, a bit different in how they carved masks. Most of Kelsaria would carve grotesque faces to ward off evil spirits. Lesa, on the other hand, had faces that were much more gentle. See the toothy grin? That’s characteristic of Lesan culture. But… the eyes.” He looked up at her. “And the way the ears are pointed. This mask wasn’t for ceremonies or protection. Based on the eyes, the half-open eyes, this mask wasn’t meant for viewing through, but to signify that it has already viewed.”

Ikrisia arched an eyebrow as Fransis handed the item back to her. “Already viewed?”

He nodded. “This mask wasn’t made for someone. It was made because whoever made it witnessed something big. Something unsettling. Sleepy eyes look peaceful to us, but to Lesans, they signify a very dark thing.”

“A very dark thing,” Ikrisia repeated as she looked into the eyes of the face.

“And dark things to Lesans… I don’t know what would compel one of them to make a face like this.”

“So then why was it given to me? And why did the woman, who knew enough about me to give me pause, vanish after giving this to me?”

Fransis shrugged. “We live in a mysterious world, milady. Our faith can’t rule out the impossible. But if what you tell me is true, it seems you were given this for a reason.”

Ikrisia sighed as she set the mask down. “So what should I do with it? Travel to the Levinasi with it? Bury it there? Heck, wear it?”

The priest smiled as he stood from his seat. “I wouldn’t,” he replied nonchalantly.

“You said that cause you know it’d make me curious,” she replied with a grimace. “This isn’t an everyday thing, Fransis. It’s the tone in the woman’s voice. This is more than just a reenactment or a simple object that is just handed off to some museum.”

He laughed. “Of course. But I will caution you - the object does not appear to be without baggage, if you know what I mean.”

“So you’re coming with me then.”

“Oh? Don’t want your ministers or perhaps a few guards to accompany instead?”

She shook her head. “They only help with the natural. This thing kind of seems unnatural, if it were.”

The two traveled southward from Eldura to the seemingly endless forested vales of the Levinasi. The province, Vekaiyu’s largest, was also the least inhabited, as nature refused to yield the land to the conquering sentients. Over time, those who ventured into its dense vegetation adopted a healthy respect for the mysterious land that buffered the nation from neighboring Packilvania, just beyond the mountains further south.

“Sorry I have to keep interrupting you,” Ikrisia confessed as she shut her phone. “I probably should’ve planned this trip a few weeks in advance as opposed to a few days.”

“Nah,” Fransis replied, “it’s fine. You have your job, I have mine.” The priest continued to drive down a road where hardly a car passed them. He adjusted his sunglasses as his loud Shangoan shirt of vibrant colors broke up the monotonous green and brown. “Nice day out, at least. Bit sunny, but nice nonetheless. You sure the tunes don’t bother you?”

Ikrisia perked her ears up to better hear the chanting playing on the CD. “I like it, actually. Reminds me of my youth.”

“That’s right. You lived in a cathedral for a period of time, right? I think I remember reading that.”

She nodded. “For a few years, yes.”

“An interesting story,” he added. “Though it must’ve been hard living with nuns and the likes. I had supportive parents, so I’d assume it’d be kind of a lonely life. Then again, I guess some would consider the life of a priest to be a lonely life, right? Well, to those who don’t know the half of what goes on in our lives, of course. But my folks really got me prepared, helped me get into schooling, find my spiritual gifts, why they even drove me to my first mass.” He glanced over at the premier, who resorted to wearing a simple shirt, skirt, and lacy vest. “What about you? If I may, that is.”

She looked up at him after checking over her fingernails, her phone now resting in a cupholder. “Hm?”

“Your parents. How were they?”

Ikrisia looked up at him. “I… can’t say, really.”

“Can’t say?”

“I don’t really talk about it.” She smiled, hoping to change the subject. “Couldn’t even exorcise it from me, if you ask me.”

“Milady, exorcisms are my specialty.” He grinned as he looked over his shades.

The premier glanced at the open road, then widened her eyes. “Turn left past the curve ahead.”

“Left?” he gripped the steering wheel as the vehicle followed the road. “But there’s no road there - may says so.”

“Have some… faith. Do it.”

“What… is this place?”

Fransis and Ikrisia kept a cautious demeanor as they scanned the cavernous confines of a dusty gathering room, long since forgotten by the passages of time and leeching from the walls with years of neglect. The building, which required several checkpoints and codes to access, looked abandoned, but for Fransis at least, it was impossible to tell, as he was just a man of the cloth and nothing more when it came to the Vekaiyun government. So he kept close to Ikrisia as she moved into a room that was in serious need of lighting.

“This place doesn’t exist,” Ikrisia stressed. “What this place is, is irrelevant.”

Fransis scratched his head. “Okay…” He wrinkled his nose as the air in the room was thick and dusty, a kind of off-putting musty and uncomfortably warm heaviness that was common in buildings that had long been shuttered and without any air conditioning. “There’s no need to be obtuse. As a priest, if you brought me along, it would serve both of us well if you gave me any and all information pertaining to this place, especially if the woman you spoke to several days prior seemed to draw you to this dusty place. It would help me connect the dots, so to speak.”

The two continued to walk slowly, their steps on the tiled floor echoing in the rafters above. “There’s no need.”

He laughed. “No need? Sure, we’re just supposed to walk into a large, dark room with some strange otherworldly artifact, and prance around while something maybe happens. Is there more to this than you’re letting on? Is it wrong for a common priest to pry?” He smirked. “Or am I being… too meddlesome?”

The premier blinked her eyes as she brought a hand to her face. “It’s a covert location. Remember what I said before in the car? I can’t explain generalities. I can only answer specific questions. That’s the rule. Even though you’ll not be able to speak about this incident later, I have other commitments and other duties. You need to respect that.”

“You can’t put the Almighty in a box.”

Ikrisia shook her head. “I’m not - I’d never do that. I’m just… putting you in a box.” She smirked and looked behind at him as the two stopped walking.

“Fair enough. Let’s see… direct questions… direct-”

A large screen suddenly flickered on the eastern-facing wall, the buzzing causing the priest to lurch backwards as Ikrisia immediately drew a gun from its holster in a swift motion. Her eyes danced about as a jingle began to play and words and pictures filled the bright display.

— Begin quote from ____

Do soldiers have a tendency to dump on you?
Does your group have more casualties than theirs?
Do all the humans seem to get the jump on you?
Are vulpine armies an inefficient affair?
Well there’s no need to complain
We’ll condition them for gain
We can neutralize their brains
They’ll be your kids
Now
Take the Uveshk preteens, killing machines!

You better hurry up and order some!
Our limited supply is very nearly gone!

Do kings and queens from other lands just shoot you down?
Is life within the dictator world a drag?
Did your generals mention that you’d better shop around
To find yourself a more productive bag?
Are you worried and distressed?
Can’t seem to get no rest?
Put our product to the test
They’ll be your kids
Now
Take the Uveshk preteens, killing machines!

Wh-

— End quote

The screen crackled and popped as the picture behind it blew. A hissing noise was apparent as the smell of electrical smoke and ozone filled the noses of the two occupants.

When silence once again filled the room, Fransis cleared his throat. “Okay, can I ask a direct question? What in the name of the First Sister was that?”

Ikrisia kept her weapon drawn on the screen now dead. She wrenched her face into an angry grimace, one the priest hadn’t really seen before from his premier. After scanning the area to ensure the two were truly alone, she sighed and relaxed her frame as she leaned against a wall. “That was a covert program started by a man who thought he was a god. As he thought he was god, he thought he could do anything to anyone without any consequences. He overhead of a program designed to further the vulpine race, and he altered it to his liking. They pitched the idea to him. They wanted his attention. Many terrible things happened here, alright?” Ikrisia paused to collect her thoughts. “Erm, sorry. I shouldn’t be short with you.” She bit her lip. “But terrible thing did happen here. I’ve read a lot of reports on what Max did when the public didn’t have to know about it.” The premier looked over at him. “This place was built from the pain of children.”

“Children? Here?”

“Yeah. I read the reports. Children were easy to manipulate. You could make them do whatever you wanted if you trained them well enough, if you beat them well enough, if you desensitized them to things like torture and death. You could take something innocent and turn it into a conditioned soldier.” She laughed slightly. “I mean, it’s not like they had lives or anything. They’re just children, right? Just names on a paper - you read them over, maybe you don’t even think to pronounce their names as you read them, because it’s just print, after all. Right?” The vulpine female stepped toward him. “But they were real. They had souls and parents, whole lives to live, memories to make, dreams to pursue, and emotions to explore.” As she shook her head, she turned to the screen once again. “But they can’t speak now. And that’s what you wanted, right?”

“Premier Levinile?”

“You had no right to steal their lives! You thought you could be their father - you’d never be anyone’s father! You had no right… to deny them their lives!”

Fransis approached her slowly as Ikrisia bowed her head in silence, a hand over her eyes. “Premier Levinile, I’m sorry if this experience has been emotional to you.”

“No,” she muttered. “Emotions are good here. Let’s… focus on the task at hand. If my feelings are correct, we should only need to walk through a few more rooms. Let’s just do what we need to do, then leave.”

The priest nodded as he began to walk with her. “What is it we need to do?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know anymore.”

Ikrisia and Fransis moved deeper into the belly of the facility, through hallways of burned-out fluorescent lights and cracked tile, past lines of tables with cracked linoleum and corian, and occasionally stepping over leaking outdated tech, capacitors long popped, and paperwork long stained. After a time, they finally arrived at a room complete with rusted bedrails and mattresses now moldy and discolored.

“This was an experimentation facility,” the priest began as he held the mask in his hand. “An experimentation facility for children, funded by Venavle. It’s a facility that’s since been abandoned.” He paused. “It looks like it’s been like this for years. Why would this old woman approach you with the item now? It sounded urgent based on how you explained it, right?”

“It was a mistake coming here,” she confessed with a sigh. “I just… kind of thought, you know, the way in which she was talking, it was so urgent. Perhaps she was out of her mind. Maybe I’m out of my mind.”

“But she did mention this place, right? Why would she want you here? Why not some battlefield or a killing field? Surely there’s plenty of that, just look at Listonia.”

The Premier sat on one of the moldy beds at the slight protest of Fransis. She leaned forward in a meek gesture, then reached for some kind of stuffed animal on the floor. “I shouldn’t have been the one to have that thing. It should’ve been given to someone else, someone who doesn’t keep coming back here.” After poking the stuffed animal in the stomach, she flopped its head side to side. “I’m not a leader. Some people are natural born leaders, or they learn to lead through trials. I was just kind of taught to be one, but just because someone’s taught something doesn’t mean they will one day master it.”

After hesitating again, Fransis slowly moved to sit next to her. “You’re being cryptic again. Milady, what is it you want to do?”

“I want… I want to remember. Remember what it was like sleeping in this bed and swimming in that stale pool. I want to remember what the rations tasted like. I want… that lack of fear, the lack of uncertainty, lack of decisiveness.” She laughed. “But most of all, I want to burn this place to the ground.”

“You? You came from here?”

She nodded. “Earlier you warned me that the mask didn’t come without baggage. I guess I have baggage of my own. But I remember this place. I wish I didn’t, but I do.”

“Well, to be fair, everyone does have their own baggage,” he scoffed. “But I don’t get it. If you were basically an experiment by Venavle, why are you nothing like him? Why isn’t the nation enslaved? Why isn’t the world at war with Vekaiyu like it was all those years ago?”

“The thing about evil, at least from what I know about it, is that it doesn’t always feel evil,” she replied, refusing to answer the questions. “And that’s why evil’s so… evil. Someone can do it even if they don’t realize they’re doing it.”

“There’s still morality,” Fransis countered. “Morality and conscience.”

The premier looked at Fransis sternly. “I’m not a product of my past. I didn’t have to end up like Venavle wanted me to be. I had a choice in the matter - there’s always choice, provided there are options.” She set the doll in her lap. “But just because I’m not a product of my past doesn’t mean my past doesn’t bother me.” When she smirked, Ikrisia shook her head. “That’s a lot of negatives for a place that harbors negativity, right? But it exists. Despite it being dormant, it exists. I can hide it, I can let it not bother me, I can cover it up, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there.”

Fransis placed a hand on her shoulder after Ikrisia widened her eyes. “What is it?”

“I know what I need to do now. Trade ya!” She tossed him the doll and grabbed the mask. With a leap, she sprung from the bed and ran down the hall, with the priest following as best he could.