When it Comes, it Comes

An entorage of Vekaiyun generals and commodores surrounded the Premier of Vekaiyu as she stepped up to the ruines of the once-mighty and continent-splitting Reignier’s Wall. While much of the wall had since been demolished and destroyed over time, some spots were remarkably intact. This wasn’t one of the shinning examples of near-mint condition, though. Instead, it was clearly graffittied and indecernable from piles of rubble at times. But that didn’t matter.

What did matter was the fact that no Vekaiyun had approached the wall since Fevunik’s army was pushed away from it in 1468. Even more significant was the fact that the decisive victory at this wall in 586 assured Vekaiyu complete independence from the northern nation after an occupation lasting some 800 years. Indeed, this wall was more than just a collection of rocks. It was a symbol of victory.

“We came, we saw, God conquered,” Ikrisia said as a solemn look overcame her. “I can almost hear the battlecries from those ancient and legendary times. Legendary men and women. Their blood still stains these stones. Their deathes were not in vain. I can only hope to be a tiny fraction of what they were.” She turned to one of the Vayan Catholic bishops from Eldura. “I would like to aid in building a monastary here. For the Vayan Catholic faith. I wish for this spot to experience peace until the end of time. Do you believe this is possible, Bishop Ivesali?”

“We will pray on the matter,” Bishop Ivesali acknowledged. “But peace in life and peace on your land is meaningless if the heart is not at peace.”

Ikrisia nodded. “Of course.” She walked away from the remnants of the stone wall. “Bishop, your words penetrate me. In more ways than one. We will show these Dverians mercy. We will treat them differently than they treated us all those years ago.”

“But Milady,” Vanse Iskaristre began, “these people don’t know anything about mercy when it comes to us. They despise us. Maybe you understand killing to be bad. For them, killing a Vekaiyun is admirable!”

“Who are you and why do you still badger me? Aren’t you the commodore who failed to sack Nugala? You know, Iskaristre, perhaps you could spend more time in Dveria to see my plan come to fruition.”

“They must be stomped out!”

“Or maybe you’re more Dverian than you think! You’ve forgotten that Vekaiyuns are higher than that type of standard, Iskaristre. You’ve all but assured your inadequacy as a military leader. I should remove you right now. But I still believe you serve purpose. As of this moment, Iskaristre, you are installed as interim Premier of Dveria until leadership for the new state is formed in Eldura. I have heard about your actions in Dveria, Iskaristre. For your sake, I hope the Dverians treat you well.”

“The rest of you are all witnesses,” she continued. “Vekaiyu is to rise above Dveria, not lower itself to its level.” After looking around at the congregation in front of her, she started to walk away and continue on her tour of the newfound spoils.

“Premier Levinile,” Solike Commodore Yiisu Nolistrovyey, “I don’t normally… speak out of turn… but this move seems uncharacteristic.”

“Oh, I know what I’m doing,” she replied. “I know exactly what I’m doing.”

About 1.5 days later, 21:00 in a secured wing of the Nugalan Palace

“Attention!” Iskaristre shouted. He was alarmed at the state of his own command. To some, it was still time for celebration. The conquest of Dveria was something Vekaiyun children learned was the ultimate outcome, the ultimate happy ending for a soldier who loves their nation. They couldn’t help it to be drunk and listening to music in a room that once served as a delegation gathering. They couldn’t put the cards down for a minute, or snuff out a last cigar. It was downright unbelievable. Speaking Unonian in the Dverian palace? Looking out the window and seeing Vekaiyun flags flying over Dveria? Being able to import the finest clove-and-Pax Fruit vodka across a warzone? All unbelievable. All wonderful.

“Attention!” Iskaristre shouted, louder than before. Truth be told, he had been drinking too, though not for celebratory purposes. “You will come to attention!”

“My commodore, have a drink!” an officer begged. “It is the evening! The city is secure!”

“Relax?” Iskaristre pulled out a pistol from its holster and shot the officer in cold blood. That was enough to get the rest of the room stirring. They stood, some prepared to draw weapons. But Iskaristre used enough theatrics to divert their attention as he shoved the dead man out of his chair.

“Anyone else want to die tonight?!” he barked. “I didn’t think so. No, no I didn’t think so.” Everyone in the room froze, half listening to his words, half watching his gun. “You’re too drunk to take me out with ease. Hell, so am I. Men, and women, let’s have a heart-to-heart. Have you wondered why Ikrisia appointed us in the ranks for interim leadership in Dveria?” He turned to the nearest officer. “Well?”

“N-no, my commodore,” he said, slowly setting his cigar down into the ashtray.

“I spent my entire life being loyal to my country. I endured under Max Venavle. I tried to make sense of Selvala McEva. I survived the civil war, fought for Vekaiyuns in Listonia… twice… and conquered Dveria. I did it all. And now I’m reduced… reduced to nothing more than a moving target.” He started to pace around the room. “Our positions are temporary. Our lives are temporary. We’ve been given a death sentence - exiled from our own nation and forced to live, well, live here. Until we die.”

“I have too much pride to accept such a sentence. I have too much love for my country to roll over and let this Dverian scum walk all over us. Milady was right in saying Vekaiyu must rise above Dveria. But it’s not through mercy, no. They don’t understand mercy. It has to be through force. It’s the only way they know. Force.”

“But you all are with me. I’m still your commanding officer. And if any of you want to leave, that’s your prerogative. But you won’t leave this country alive. Like me, you’re stuck here.”

An eerie silence, save for the soft music playing in the background, fell across the room. “What would you like us to do, my commodore?”

“I want you to realize that we are Vekaiyun. We do not appease a nation that spent 800 years killing, pillaging, raping, and murdering our own kind. We take our jackboots and slowly step on their throats. Vekaiyu will wipe this nation clean. So, crush any and all opposition. Destroy any dissenters. Dismember any rising factions. And for God’s sake, sober up. You’re Vekaiyun, and not slobs.”

The convoy of tracked SHACOG Armored Personell Carriers and tanks moved down the streets of Nugala, the streets pretty much consisting of shattered Dverian lives, drunk Vekaiyans and the occassional ‘secret’ police.

Commander Hundo observed the streets pass by as he stuck out of the commanders hatch in his Forrest APC, just behind a McNeilly battletank that lead the column.

‘Gradual withdrawal’. He chuckled, having a conversation with his gunner who was also relaxing out of the gunners hatch.

‘More like throw-the-hot-Pax Fruit at Vekaiyu’, the Vulpine gunner chuckled. ‘I’ll never get politics’. He looked around, seeing two Vekaiyan soldiers down the street sharing some booze. ‘Think we can get a share?’.

‘We got 120 soldiers in the convoy, unless they got enough booze to share it with all of us, probably not a good idea.’

‘Heh, true.’ The vehicle ran over a pothole created by shelling, disrupting the conversation for a few seconds. “Another checkpoint? Jeeze, itle take us 3 hours to get out of this place.” He looked ahead, noticing the Vekaiyan military checkpoint.

The convoy came to a halt as the lead tank was inspected by two obviously drunk Vekaiyan officers, quickly opening the checkpoint up.

“VIIIIICCTOOORYY COMRADES!” exclaimed one, offering to share his alchohol with anyone who passed by, including stunned Dverian civililians, one being brave enough to take his offer.

“How far into we hit the depot?”

“Depot’s a few miles up, there we load the vehicles onto trucks and get the hell out of this place.”

The men nodded, before looking at a car speeding towards the checkpoint intersection to there left.

“I don’t like this. Not one bi-…” Suddenly, both men where thrown back into the APC as the car exploded as it rammed the first gate to the checkpoint.

“What the hell just happened?”

“Yi-yiskepremier Iska-aristre,” a younger officer said as he worked his way into the rather ornate office selected by the new (temporary) ruler of Dveria. Iskaristre seemed preoccupied with the Vekaiyun soldiers in the streets and the occasional Dverian spotted amidst the buildings and ruins. “Th-there was a chhheckpoint that was hit by a Dver-Dverian bomb.”

“What’s wrong with you?” Iksaristre asked bluntly. He casually waved a gun with his left hand as he swiveled his chair in front of the young human officer.

“St-stutter. I have a stttuter, sir.”

“Clearly you didn’t get to where you are because of your oratory skills. I’ll make this easier for you. All you need to do is nod or shake your head. So there was a bomb that went off at a checkpoint?”

“Yyy”

“Ah.” He waved the pistol at the officer like he was scolding him. “Not a word, remember? Let’s try again.”

He nodded.

“Alright. Now we’re getting somewhere. So this bomb… was it thrown?”

He shook his head.

“Static or dynamic?”

“D-d”

“Oh, that’s my fault. So something was traveling and it hit the checkpoint. Probably a vehicle, right?”

He nodded.

“A small vehicle, like a car?”

Again he nodded.

“Alright. You’ve done well so far. Now here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to point on this map where that checkpoint is.” He moves his chair over to a map on the wall covered in various tacks color-coded for convenience. As he watched the officer point to a checkpoint in the northern part of the city, he smiled. “Was SHACOG involved?”

He nodded.

“Great. So now we have dead Vekaiyuns and dead soldiers from SHACOG, correct? Well then, here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to order your company to comb the nearby city blocks and take out anyone who cannot speak Unonian. Round them up and transport them to the forest to the east. Kill them all.”

“Sir?”

“Did I stutter? Also, give me the names of the surviving Vekaiyun checkpoint personnel. I will have them transported to the border on Sevropia. There they will inform us of a Sevropian offensive first-hand. An example must be made…” he looked at the officer’s identification badge. “Ilyimulyey.”

“I…”

“What’s the matter? Shocked? Let me tell you something, Ilyimulyey. Dveria is one giant prison. You all are the guards. I’m the warden. In a way, we’re all in this prison together. But we keep the order. If the inmates find out they can get away with things, they’ll escalate and push the envelope. They do not appreciate us. They do not respect us. They want us killed. And we’re supposed to just be fine with that? We’re supposed to be the better men? How do you show that to a culture that doesn’t understand honor? To a culture that rates us lower than dogs?”

“Well, Ilyimulyey. Things will be different. To those who accept and adjust, I have no problems with them. But to those who oppose, well, they are in for a rude awakening. Because if I find them, if I sense even the slightest bit of terrorism or resistance, I’ll strike.” He swiveled his chair over and aimed at a Dverian crossing the street. He shot him in the chest. “Boom!” he exclaimed as he raised his arms and swiveled back to the young officer. “Like a mushroom-cloud laying bastard! Crushed into oblivion! Do you understand, my young officer?”

“I-I will c-comply.”

Iskaristre smiled. “Thank you, Ilyimulyey. Tell them the warden sends his regards.”

Ikrisia drummed her fingers on the desk. “You’re probably wondering why I’ve invited you to this location.” She looked at the human male in front of her. “The Levenasi is beautiful this time of the year, is it not?”

“Aye, it is,” the man replied. There wasn’t anything special about the looks of Daszo Kilevov. He was teetering on the edge of young adulthood and middle age, still clinging to youth as it slipped away like sand through fingers. He was brawnier than most, especially when compared with a vulpine of the same age. He fancied boxing and, naturally, horseback riding, as all the rest of the Vekaiyun aristrocracy did. But his messy light brown hair and “dumpy” look as Ikrisia once put it was nothing special. Despite marrying into royalty, he wasn’t anything special.

But all was not as it seemed.

“I lived here for some 19 years of my life,” she reminisced. “The birds and fauna were pretty much the only fond memories from such a beginning. But you don’t care for that, do you?”

He shrugged. “I mean, it’s nice today. Don’t know what else you want me to say.”

“I want to hear your story, Daszo,” she said as she stopped drumming her hand. “I won’t bore you with mine. I want to hear what you think of Vekaiyu. I want you to tell me everything you think of when you recall the events in Dveria over the past few weeks.”

He smirked. “Is that why you brought me here? To rub it in the face of the Vekaiyun royalty and tell them that you did what they couldn’t do in 1300 years or whatever?”

“If I was in that business, I’d have all of you join me here. I’m not.”

“Then what? You’re finally going to relinquish your title and restore the monarchy?”

“Oh definitely not.” She frowned. “Actually, I need to say something. This is why no one takes you all seriously anymore. You forgot what it meant to serve the people. Max took power and you all did nothing. Selvala took his place, and your lot did nothing. Heck, we had a civil war a few years ago. Didn’t hear anything outside of a few ribbon cutting ceremonies and how wonderful it is to ride on horseback across Calesu. You didn’t say one word to the people, and yet you want what I sought to build. Why the hell would I give it to your family? You only serve yourselves!” She watched as he raised a hand, not at her, but clearly it was raised in anger. A quick grasp soon followed as he buckled from Ikrisia’s mechanized grip. “What are you going to do, Daszo?”

He gritted his teeth. “That all you got?”

She smiled and gripped harder. “If you want your arm back, you’ll sit in your seat and listen to me.” She watched as he bit his lip, then gave a slight nod. She let go with a deliberate jerk.

“Now that formalities are out of the conversation, I want to talk to you and you alone. Just. Daszo. Because in a few minutes I’m going to give you an opportunity.” She leaned back in her chair. “So tell me, Daszo. What are your thoughts on Dveria?”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh come on! There’s no cameras here. I’ve let my guards break for lunch. Who knows where yours are-”

“I don’t need guards.”

She smirked. “So no one’s here. It’s just you and me. What of Dveria?”

He folded his arms across his chest. “How am I supposed to feel, Ikrisia? They almost killed off the royal family. I’m glad those bastards got what was coming to them.”

“Aye,” she began. “The vulpine race once again proves superiority.”

“Oh, yeah right. Yeah, the vulpine race is always superior, right?” He pointed a finger at her. “You know, at least the Kilevovs didn’t go around spewing that crap to the media pundits!”

“But they say it behind closed doors. Don’t they?”

“That’s none of your business.”

Again she smiled. “You’ve disappointed me, Daszo. I am looking for someone to rule Dveria. I thought maybe you fit that bill. You have leadership in your blood. You look like a leader. You’re solidly Vekaiyun. But you speak English and Durric well. And you’d never use your own species against the people of Dveria.”

He scoffed. “Dveria? Why would I want to go there?”

“Because you want to show the world that the Vekaiyun royalty is still good for something.”

“I don’t need to do anything to prove that.”

“But you do, because you want to prove that a human can do great things in the Vekaiyun royalty. But you don’t want to just prove that to the world. You want to show the rest of your family.”

“I don’t need to show my family anything.”

“The rest of your family thinks your line is a second class bastard line! I know because I’ve spoken to them before. I know because they’re grooming Leina to take my place - you’re not even on the radar.”

“You don’t talk to Vekaiyun royalty that way!”

“Oh, what’s the matter? Did I finally rouse the Kilevov bloodline to lift a finger? Like I said. Think only of yourselves. This path is cleared out for you. I’ve laid it out for you. All I need to see is that… old Kilevov leadership florish once again. Honor your family, Daszo. Rule over Dveria the way a royal human Vekaiyun can.”

Now was Daszo’s time to smirk. "I have a good life here. A good, safe life. Eventually you’ll be dead and the Kilevovs will be in power again. "

“I see.” Ikrisia shrugged. “If that’s how you feel…”

“That’s how I feel.”

“Then we’re done here.” She stood up and walked toward the door. “You can go back to riding your horses. But know this: no life is truly safe.”

“Well well, if it isn’t the Listonian savior himself.”

Chuckles disturbed smoke trails from expensive cigars griped by fingers adorned with rings. Into the poorly-lit room walked Stapen Evesuni, joining the other major crime lords in the room. The gang was all there: Yensey Layastrovyey of Sipani, Enlil Y’vnastroyu of Lont, and Ehjy Istroyey of the Vekaiyun Mafia. All old friends, for the most part, but respected enemies constantly fighting for control of the Listonian underground. The three men were older than Evensuni, but the Listonian leader appeared to age since taking office in 2009. Gaunt and frail, the medications he had taken since his surgery two years ago ravaged his body, but he could still knock a man out with a haymaker or a quick jab.

“Have a seat, Stapen.”

“We’ve put a cognac on ice just for you, Stapen.”

“This all sounds like a setup to me,” Evesuni replied. “Are there going to be thugs with machine guns hiding in the other room?”

“Well, you didn’t have to spoil the surprise now did you?”

All four men laughed. Evesuni poured a shot of the cognac offered to him. The drink burned going down, but it felt good. He could feel the sharp edges of his troubles and stresses dull by the second. Finally, back in familiar territory.

“So what do you want?” he asked.

Enlil leaned forward. “We want to talk about Dveria. And we want to talk about you.”

“Let’s talk about Dveria first. That’s easier.”

He nodded. “We were wondering if you knew anything about the leadership situation in Dveria.”

Evesuni groaned, like the question was a pain in the ass to think about. “They have some prick from their army in control over there. Guy thinks he’s a warden. Too intense for my liking. Just some punk who’s looking for trouble. He’s got the army all over the place. It’s like he put it on lockdown or something.”

“Yeah,” Yensey muttered. “We don’t like that.”

“I don’t like it either. I’ve lost my connections to the north. They’re having to move much slower.” Evesuni leaned back in his chair and casually lit one of the cigars from the box in the center of the table. “But the one port city near the Laiatian-Vekaiyu zones is pretty easy to flow into.”

“Yeah we got the memo on that,” Enlil added. “The town’s name is Tomu.”

“Yeah that’s it.”

“So this guy needs to be taken out,” Yensey replied, keeping the conversation on task. “I want him and his entire outfit dead.”

Evesuni laughed. “He’ll get himself killed eventually. My guys aren’t holding their breaths.”

“You know, Stapen, of the four of us here, you’re the only one who can really do anything. We know the Premier listens to you. We want a change. You want a change. You rose in Yu Levolar because you were a kid who could get stuff done. We took notice and supported your little group. Don’t tell me the Cadipremier of Listonia can’t make any… adjustments.”

“It’s not that easy,” Evesuni replied after drawing on his cigar. “You know that.”

“You never had trouble with the hard. Of course, when you’re not making speeches or kissing babies, making a fool of yourself on television and all that business like you do, you still get around to the hard, eh?”

“I’m bigger than my syndicate,” Evesuni retorted, pointing his cigar at the vulpine man. “It’s not easy making moves when the entire country loves you.”

“Entire country loves your image. They don’t know you like we do.”

“I’m in a good mood, Yensey. Don’t piss me off tonight.” Evesuni paused to further drive his point. “Now with this Iskariste punk. We take him out. Who should take his place?”

“Move that Lso Yiskevi character over to Dveria,” Enlil chuckled. “Kid’s probably never killed before.”

“Eh. He’s not going anywhere. The kid’s like an ulcer. Always around, always a pain. But he’s Ikrisia’s poster child. Ain’t nothing I can do about it.”

Yensey shrugged. “He’s not an issue for me. The punk doesn’t care what we do around here.”

“He knows he’d be offed if he did,” Evesuni replied. “He’s just a kid who’s smart enough to know not to mess with the thing we have going here. Or he’s too much of a coward. I don’t really care what the reason is.” He poured another shot. “So we put a call on Iskariste. Who takes his place? I’ll tell you who takes his place. Whoever Ikrisia had in mind in the first place. Because he’s the freaking interim guy. Did it ever occur to any of you guys that this guy’s not permanent?”

“I’m losing tens of thousands of Veskonos a day,” Enlil chirped. “Sooner the better. We don’t need strong leadership up there.”

“Exactly. If nothing happens to Iskariste, it makes putting an idiot lackey in there that much easier. If he’s whacked, eh, maybe it’s not that easy. You all should be thinking long term here.”

“I don’t like to lose money,” Ehjy said coldly. “And I’m not about to lose my connections in Dveria.”

“Then cut the shit and listen. Ikrisia’s going to make a move. We’ll have our answer soon enough. In the meantime, I’m going to work with this Iskariste clown to lower Dveria’s temperature. Tell your guys to carry identification. Make sure it’s Listonian. He’ll take the magnifying glass off our guys for the time being.”

Enlil held up his hands. “Then I am satisfied. Stapen always comes through.”

Yensey tapped some ash off his cigar. “How do we know Iksariste will listen to you?”

“Consider it done.”

Sun Room, Summer Kilevov Residence, Calesu Province

Saturday evenings were when the Kilevovs would convene as a family to converse about anything that came to mind. Occasionally soft music would fill the confines if the room, but it was never anything intense - just background noise. The soft undulations blended in with the rest of the room - old stained glass on the windows echoing past glories, coupled with dozens of regular paned glass windows to let the cool sea air into the wood and stone edifices.

It was a relatively peaceful evening. Though those inside of the room were restless. It was unusual to find such restlessness, however. After all, the Kilevovs had little to be upset about. Their family was not in power, sure, but they were still wealthy, extremely wealthy for a Vekaiyun family. They had overall good health, and their opinions still held weight. Well, some did.

“The Kilevovs are nothing more than ancient relics,” an older vulpine lady remarked. “We are faded like a woven Provinsk rug that was left out in the sun for far too long. We are like a great tree that is marked to be cut down by loggers. We are like a beautiful ancient book that has been defaced by barbarians. Our days, like the golden days of Vekaiyu, are long behind us.”

“All I’m saying is it’s a chance,” Daszo said. “I don’t want to do it. But maybe someone else here does.”

“Ikrisia picked you, for she knows your line is weak,” a very old vulpine male said. “She is setting you up, Daszo, and is prepared to wipe our family line from existence.”

“If it is to be wiped, then do it quickly!” the lady from before spoke. “We are at peace. We pose no threat.”

“Calm yourself, Kira my dear. Remember your stress.”

“I’m not weak,” Daszo replied. He remembered how much Ikrisia’s comments from earlier angered him. He wanted them to hold no truth. “And you wouldn’t say that if my father Islo was here.”

“Islo is on holiday, dear,” a middle-aged female vulpine reminded. “Oh, how wonderful it must be in Adevi this time of the year. The vineyards must be ripe with the finest Vekaiyun grapes!”

“Indeed, Yva,” a middle-aged male vulpine agreed. “I would love to take you some time this summer, but honestly I would miss the gardens far too much. The hired hands have really outdone themselves this year. I could paint all through the daylight if I wanted.”

“Your paintings are wonderful, my dear,” Kira said. “It’s only a matter of time before the rest of the continent sees your beautiful brush strokes. Don’t you agree, Kaslo?”

“He has a wonderful talent,” the older vulpine, Kaslo, replied warmly.

“Are we going to sit and talk about paint and flowers, or are we going to consider this offer?” Daszo interjected.

“We have already considered it,” Kaslo said. “The matter is closed. We Kilevovs will not meddle in the affairs of the hostile government that overthrew us some thirty years ago who we to this day do not recognize.”

“But how will we be able to do anything if we refuse to talk to them?” Leina, a fourteen-year old vulpine female asked. It was no secret among the Kilevovs and the Vekaiyun government itself that she was probably their best hope of re-gaining the throne. But she wasn’t really like a Kilevov. Daszo liked that.

“Do not worry about the details, young Leina. The ship will right itself in due time.”

Leina looked at Daszo, then to the congregation. “May I speak my mind?”

Kaslo arched an eyebrow. “It is uncharacteristic.”

“I don’t like how this conversation is going,” Kira added.

“I think Daszo should take the offer,” Leina suggested. “I… I think he’s intelligent and strong. And I think it would be great if a Kilevov could rule over a former enemy.”

“It’s a smokesreen!” another older vulpine male exclaimed. “Ikrisia is trying to divide us and dilute our rich blood even further!”

“She is a cold-hearted woman, that Ikrisia is,” Yuso Ismeliku, (uncredited) Count of Eldura (in abeyance) added. While not a Kivlevov, it was well-known Yuso would be next in line for the throne had it not been for Leina. After all, the Ismelikus were one of nine royal families in Vekaiyu, and had a small right to the throne, should it ever fall back to the monarchy again. It was his plan to court Ikrisia about two years ago, but of course that fell through. “She is merely using this as a tactic to cause in-fighting. Could you imagine? A human of the royalty? Ruling?”

“Oh it’s not just that Yuso,” Kaslo barked. “You Ismelikus always think on a small scale. It’s the fact that she had the audacity and the gall to ask Daszo without even consulting any one of us. Her birth records may remain hidden, but I am willing to put a handsome bet on her line being a poor wretch!”

“Poor wretch indeed!” Kira added.

“It’s better than sitting here and rotting,” Leina muttered as more voices joined in to agree with the older members.

“Excuse me? Young lady?” Kaslo held up a hand and everyone silenced. “What did you say?”

“Nothing.”

“Come here, please.”

Leina bit her lip and stood from her wooden chair. She walked up to the patriarch and stood in front of him. A backhand from his wrinkly, bony hand soon followed. It had enough force behind it to knock her off her feet. In the background, Daszo moved his his seat, but was wise enough to maintain composure.

“I will not have a young troublemaker make a mockery of my family! Next in line or not, you will know your place, young lady!”

“Yes sir,” she concurred.

“Your parents, my son and his wife, may have perished. But that is no excuse for dishonoring everyone in this room. Retire to your room, young lady. Do away with your presence!”

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

Daszo could see through her light-gray fur that her cheeks were red. She had been crying, probably for a long time. “Sorry for getting you in trouble.”

“It’s my fault, really.”

“Can I come in?”

“Sure.” She turned on a light (luckily the residence had power) and let Daszo enter the room.

“It’s not right what they do to you. Vekaiyu’s nothing like that anymore. They’re really just relics.”

“Relics don’t make you feel sick.”

“Sure they do. But it’s because they’re sick. And jealous. They know their chances of running Vekaiyu are through. So they take it out on us.”

“Sometimes I just wish I was… somewhere else. I don’t like it here. I miss my parents. I miss Eldura.”

Daszo sat down on the bed next to her. “I hear you. Remember when you first came back?”

“Yeah. It was three years ago. Ikrisia took me out of Warre and helped get me back into Vekaiyu. Then the family came. It was kind of scary. Then you helped me.”

“Aye. I showed you around. Told you the best hiding spots from when my cousins played hide-and-go-seek in the gardens. And the best places to swim. And how to not feel so isolated here. Leina, if you ever run into trouble, you know you can talk to me. Right?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Pinky swear?”

She smiled a little and extended her pinky finger. She wrapped her bony digit around the human’s. “Pinky swear.” Just like old times. It gave her hope that their little alliance wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Time. She frowned. “Are you going to Dveria?”

“I don’t know,” Daszo confessed. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“If you do, take me with you. It’d be unbearable here with just those old people.”

He smiled. “You’d have to learn Durric. It’s a dirty language, I’m told.”

“I can learn it.”

Daszo laughed. “Of course you can.”

“Daszo?”

“Yeah?”

“Does growing up get easier or harder?”

He paused. “You remember when we watched that blacksmith make a medieval Vekaiyun longsword?” He watched as she nodded. “It’s like that. The fires are hot, the hammer is hard, but with each strike and each turn in the fire, you are annealed and get stronger. When you get stronger, you become more useful. That’s why things have to be hard. The good people go through the hard times and make something out of it.”

“I understand.”

“Hang in there, kid. At the rate you’re going you’ll be Vekaiyun steel one day.”

Iskaristre slouched in his chair as he ran his fingers through greasy hair in need of a shower. A bottle of fine-aged clove vodka was nearly empty, still warm from dozens of pours into a shot glass. To put it bluntly, he was a wreck. There was no way a decorated Vekaiyun loyalist such as himself deserved such treatment.

He had already initiated a Vekaiyification of the capital. Once it was perfected, the system would spread to other areas of the occupying nation. Vekaiyun soldiers were at nearly every street corner. Unonian was spoken more than Durric, the former Dverian state language. Vekaiyun flags hung from every rafter. And an all-pervasive network of spies and double-agents listened for the slightest hint of dissent. Any opposition was dealt with swiftly and in some cases publicly. To Iskaristre, they would become Vekaiyun or they would die. There was no other option.

“Sir!” a sipavu commodore said as he entered the room. Normally a sipavu commodore would knock before entering his superior’s quarters, but Iskaristre had by now developed a reputation of being too inebriated to reprimand such actions.

“Eh?”

“A note. From Premier Levinile.” He held the note in front of him.

“Open it and read it.”

Another anomaly. Superiors never let their subordinates privy to messages specifically addressed to them. “Yes sir. It reads as follows. Vil Commodore Vinsent Iskaristre. I have been briefed on the current situation in Dveria. You have not listened to my instructions. Predictably, your zealous nature has produced more problems than what I’m willing to cope with. I am therefore expediting the process of selecting a more permanent leader. Once a leader has been selected, you will be dismissed from your post. Try to make yourself useful and avoid enticing an uprising.”

“Eh,” he said. “Merely a distraction. Carry on as usual, Yulesivey.”

Sipavu commodore Yulesivey gave a slight nod, though it was difficult to tell what he said exactly, as his speech was slurred. While he was taught to always follow his superiors, he could see the writing was on the wall. He knew that if Premier Levinile didn’t like what Iskaristre had done, others would be to blame, too. There was always the possibility that Iskaristre could wake up from his stupor. But he knew eventually Iskaristre would be gone.

He left the room, softly closing the door behind him.

“What of the Vil Commodore?” another officer asked.

Yulesivey shook his head. “He is not well. Henceforth, I will monitor his condition until he is well again. In the meantime, slow the Vekaiyification, at least temporarily.”

The officer arched an eyebrow. “Perhaps I should speak to him.”

He shook his head again. “The Vil Commodore is drunk and Premier Levinile is upset with his performance. After all those dissenters she killed in 2010, would you rather live or die with him?”

The officer grimaced, then nodded solemnly. “Understood. We will feed him false reports until a suitable replacement has been announced.” He eyed the Sipavu Commodore, knowing no one else was around. “We will be hanged if they find out.”

“We will either die at the hands of Iskaristre or the resulting uprising that would come from his policies. At least this way, there’s a chance the Premier will understand. If not, at least we will die on Vekaiyun soil.”

“Aye.”

Lso Yiskevi set to work, writing another email to the Premier of Vekaiyu, Ikrisia Levinile. He was well aware of how unstable Dveria was, but was equally aware of the fact that he had a look-alike of the former King of Dveria kept under watchful eye. Surprisingly, he hadn’t told Levinile of the circumstance. He was waiting to see when it would become most useful.

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Levinile,

During the Kerilo Accords, you vowed to aid Listonia in annexing North Elephana in the hopes of securing a northern border with Sevropia. I suggest we draw up plans for a general assault on the nation once Dveria is secure. With respect to Dveria, I am interested in hearing about your candidates for heading the occupied nation. Considering Listonia lies between Vekaiyu and Dveria, I would hope that the eventual successor is briefed on our situation and would be well-suited to work with us on future endeavors.

Once Dveria is secured, I wish to discuss the current leadership structure of Listonia with you. It is becoming increasingly difficult to share offices with an aging dictator, so to speak.

Regards,
Lso Yiskevi

— End quote

Ikrisia paid little attention to the email notification she received. After all, she was in a meeting. “I must say, your demeanor was refreshing during the accords, Vanse. You reminded me a lot of the old Minister of the Interior, Vinsent Miloskari. He was a good man, loyal to the state until the very end. Why, his last words were a command, to protect the nation of Vekaiyu, before he died from a loss of blood.” She paused. “I like strong Ministers of the Interior, Vanse. And you are promisingly strong.”

“Thank you, milady.” The glowing accolades did not even faze him. Much like Miloskari, Vanse Iliskalu was forward-thinking, able to take a joke and have a good time, but he knew why he was brought into existence: to better the state of Vekaiyu. It was an admirable trait, as far as Ikrisia was concerned.

“Which is why I am hesitant to put you in the running for the open Dverian post. You see, Vanse, not everyone becomes a Minister of the Interior in Vekaiyu. It’s usually a position served until death, at least recently. Either assassination or hanging for treason. So, it’s a position that requires the utmost trust in an individual. But my list for a Dverian suitor is running thin. It’s clear to me that the military cannot be counted on to lead the territory - they are far too rough for my liking. But you, at least you I can trust. You’ve been in the Vekaiyun government for twenty years, so I know you can lead.”

“With all due respect, milady, I do not believe a vulpine should lead Dveria,” he replied. “Especially with the connotations it brings. No one likes to bring up race, but race has everything to do with why our two nations hate each other.”

Ikrisia nodded. “You see my quandary. Whom does one trust?”

“I assume that question is rhetorical.”

“Indeed it was. Within months Dveria should be secure and the plan of absorbing Listonia should be set into motion, giving rise to the First Vekaiyun Union. I need a strong charismatic leader. Human. One who would be loyal to Vekaiyu to the very end.”

He sighed. “I agree, milady. Should you require me to fulfill that position, I will do it with dignity and honor. But I do not believe I should be at the top of any list.”

“Very well, Vanse. Remember to submit your feasibility study by week’s end.”

“It shall be done, milady.”

Evesuni’s Retreat, basement, Ye’leli

Stapen Evesuni drummed his fingers against his wooden desk. Aside from the constant rapping of his digits, the room was uncomfortably silent. Finally, he scoffed. “Like I’ve been telling you, I don’t know anything. I keep an ear out, but there’s nothing new on my end. Iskariste’s more or less stopped talking to anyone, and Ikrisia’s still looking for suitors.”

The two men in front of him were less than optimistic. Though there had to at least be 20 years difference between each of the two representatives, they still were hand-picked by Yensey Layastrovyey of Sipani to obtain an update in person. Yensey was not about to meet a competitor on his home turf. “We want an update,” the older man said. “We will not leave until we receive an update.”

Evesuni shrugged and calmly lit a cigarette. “I already gave it to you. I know nothing.”

“Kivo [Mr.] Evesuni,” the older vulpine barked. “Yensey is a very busy man. He is losing money via his nothern connections. A dveria crawling with rebels and armed Vekaiyun military is not a viable Dveria for our interests! You must understand our position, Kivo Evesuni. We rely on that route because it is much more safer than Sevropia or Elephana. These routes have been in place for decades. And we can’t have them jeopardized!”

“They’re not in jeopardy,” Evesuni calmly replied. “It’s always darkest before the dawn.”

“You’d rather us lose business?” the older vulpine continued. “If we suffer, you all suffer! Yu Levolar is no different - I know for a fact your group is having a tough go at it, too.”

“Times are tough, what can I say?”

By now the younger representative from Sipani had enough. He banged a fist on the table. “Enough! Your lack of concern makes you nothing more than a Dverian sympathizer!”

Evesuni set his cigarette down. “That’s a pretty big claim from a small man like yourself.”

“You have all the power here, and you’re using it to harm your own kind! You sit behind your desks and take your little pictures with the people, but in reality you’re selling them out to Dveria! ‘Oh, we shouldn’t do anything’ ‘Oh, we should just wait’ Bullshit. You’re not fooling me or any of us. You’re just a turncoat Dverian vulpine!”

The older vulpine gripped the lapel of the younger one to push him back in his seat. “Look, forget what he said, Stapen. He’s young. We just think you’ve gone soft.”

“Soft?”

“Yeah. What with not doing anything about Dveria and all. If you don’t have any fight left in you, then say so. We’d all understand, really. But then let someone else have a go at it, alright?”

“You think I’m soft?”

The older vulpine scoffed. “Just let it go. Let’s work out a solution. Now with th-” he stopped talking when he noticed Evesuni pull out a SR-37 .45 from a drawer in his desk.

Evesuni walked over and pointed the gun at the younger vulpine’s head. “Let’s find out how soft I really am.” He looked over at the older vulpine. “Go ahead, ask.” His partner used the momentary lapse in concentration to spring from his seat and run toward the exit of the room.

He did not make it very far.

Evesuni shot him once in the leg as the man yelped, partially from pain, partially from the excitement of being shot. Another shot struck his other leg. The man groaned as he crawled on his forearms to the hallway. He shot him again as he walked toward him. Again. Again. Each shot rang through the closed quarters with ear-splitting booms, but could not drown out the agonizing grunts as Evesuni worked his way up to the upper torso. The Listonian Cadipremier gripped the man’s suit jacket and turned him on his back. Blood trickled from his mouth as his right lung started to bleed out. “You think I’m soft? Huh?” He used each pause to strike the man in the face, blow after blow reaching the intended target with brutal accuracy until his face was a fully tenderized by Evesuni’s punches. Perhaps he didn’t look strong, but decades of knowing how to fight was worth more than youth or brawn.

“You think I’m soft?”

“Stapen! Stop! He’s dead!”

He looked up and let go of the man’s shirt, his hands covered in blood. “Dveria killed my wife. They killed friends. They caused my daughter to… become a Vekaiyun war machine. They turned me into… this! I hate Dveria! I want Dveria wiped off the map!”

“Look, calm down!” the Sipani representative pleaded. “Just… just calm down. I didn’t know all of that. Heck, I didn’t even know you had a daughter.”

“They took the last thing on this earth I cared about. I had to give them to the Vekaiyuns to protect her. And she deserved better, dammit! I couldn’t give her that. Dveria destroyed my life! And you think I’m soft?”

The Sipani representative held up his hands. “No! No, I don’t!”

“Let me clue you in on something. Everyone wants me to do something. All I have to do is talk to one person - Ikrisia Levinile. Because she always listens to her father!”

“What?” the genuinely confused individual asked.

“And now that you know that, I drop you now!” He planted three bullets into the man, killing him instantly.

With a dejected sigh, Evesuni dropped his gun and rubbed his forehead. “When does this shit ever end? You think I wanted to do you two in?”

The ringing in his ears prevented him from hearing the footsteps from down the hall running toward him. “Cadipremier Evesuni!” one of his guards shouted. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. Murder suicide. I couldn’t save the young one. He’s beat pretty bad. The older one struggled for the gun. Shot himself.”

“We’re just glad you’re okay, sir,” the guard continued. “Forgive us for not being there for you!”

“Just clean up this mess. And get me a towel.”

Unmarked armory room, Nugalan Palace, the next day

“What’s going on here?”

Sipavu Commodore Viktor Yulesivey dragged a wooden chair up to the Vekaiyun officer, who was quick to close the door. “Sit down, Tomasu. Lock the door behind you. We have a matter to discuss.”

The commodore looked around the room at the six other men around the rather plain but serviceable table. He was careful in picking who attended his emergency meeting. There was sipavo commodore Salvatoro Leskoviyey, boyhood friend and hejul general Tomasu Ilikovi and his younger brother solike general Frankyo Ilikovi, solike general Makswel Yurlavistre, vil commodore Seri Lekostrovi, and nire general Aysknia Ryinastiveru, the only female in the cabal.

Yulesivey switched on the radio behind him next to the door to ensure no one could overhear their conversation. It was perhaps a little paranoid, but one couldn’t be too careful. “I’m sure you’re all wondering why I’ve gathered you all here. But if I know some of you, that’s probably not the case. When it comes to being Vekaiyun, we all understand that sometimes we must choose options that may endanger our very lives but will work for the greater good of the nation. This may include going against the commands of our superiors. So one has to ask: is it treason to disobey orders, or is it treason to follow orders that will inevitably harm Vekaiyu itself?”

“Allow me to clear any rumors you’ve heard today. Premier Levinile is indeed upset about Vil Commodore Vinsent Iskaristre’s performance. Hence, she has hastened the process of finding a new leader for Dveria. The Vil Commodore was predictably too inhebriated to grasp the severity of the situation. We have already begun to undo some of his policies; namely, the enhanced Vekaiyification of Nugala. We cannot entice a rebellion. But this puts us in a precarious place. If Iskaristre suddenly were to sober up, he would inevitably goose-step us back into the brink of a counter-revolution in this city. If he doesn’t, he will be disposed of when Premier Levinile visits. And if she disposes of him, she will not hesitate to dispose of us too. I don’t need to remind anyone here of all the purges she accomplished in 2010. So, we’re at an impasse.”

“I’ve gathered you all for one purpose. We must kill Vil Commodore Vinsent Iskaristre and remove him from the picture entirely.”

The room fell silent, save for the white noise on the radio. “We will all be hanged,” vil commodore Seri Lekostrovi warned.

“The way I look at it, we’ll either die at the hands of the Dverians, Iskaristre, or Levinile. I’d rather be in control of my destiny.”

“We could make it look accidental,” nire general Aysknia Ryinastiveru said.

Yulesivey nodded. “The plan is to place a bomb into his office and have it go off at approximately 2100 hours tomorrow. Least invasive, least traceable. But to do this is not as easy as it sounds. Guards will be around the premeses, as you already know. We must also make it appear that the blast came from outside.”

“This plan is preposterous!” Makswel Yurlavistre said. “Someone else is bound to be suspicious. And what happens if someone else is in his room?”

“Would this entice rebels?” hejul general Tomasu Ilikovi asked.

“Once the plan is set into motion, we cannot back down,” Yulesivey said. He sighed. “This includes anyone else in the room with him. It is what it is. As for any local retaliation, the army will be placed on high alert and its new commander will have a leg-up on what’s going on. Isn’t that right, vil commodore Seri Lekostrovi?”

He shrugged. “So long as this works. I’m not too keen on this plan, but I do agree Iskaristre must be removed. We should meet again to discuss this plan - it’s moving too quickly.”

“We don’t have that kind of time. Each day he’s in power confuses the Vekaiyun chain of command. We need to remove him quickly. I wish there was a better way, but if we allow him to continue, something horrible will likely happen regardless. Still, I am a Vekaiyun at heart. And Vekakyuns elect their representatives these days. So, we will vote. Yea to remove him and proceed with the plan, nay to maintain status quo.”

After tearing up sheets of paper and allowing each member to vote privately, he revealed the verdict to the room. “The aye’s have it. We will meet again later tonight to hash out details and ensure that our plan is airtight. I wish you all the best of luck, and may the Almighty be on our side.”

Ikrisia neatly stacked the newest reports on the desk next to her. While she remained disappointed in Iskaristre, reports coming from another Vil Commodore Seri Lekostrovi was refreshing. Perhaps his entorage was finally starting to have an effect on his policies. The purges were much more clandestine now as the Vekaiyun military worked to smoke out any rebellions before they had a chance to take hold.

She almost hated thinking about their eventual fate. Almost.

A knock at the door to her retreat in The Levenasi produced a familiar face as the intruder forced the door open. She stood up. “Daszo. So nice to see you.”

“Likewise,” he replied. When she motioned for him to sit down, he carefully pulled out a chair and sat down.

“So. You wanted to speak to me?”

“Well, look uh, I just want to say I might have been a little… hasty when we last spoke.”

She smiled. “You wish to re-open talks?”

“Well, I’m here, aren’t I?”

“But how can I trust you after that random spurt of delinquency from when we last met? I need someone who is loyal to Vekaiyu, Daszo. Not to their family name. Not to their own riches. Not even to those whom they wish to protect. Vekaiyu first. Everything else secondary.”

“Right. So where do I sign up?”

She laughed. “You think I’m just going to give you the spoils of war, a nation that your family name and the other Vekaiyun royal families couldn’t defeat? Not even Fevunik could reach Nugala. And yet here we are.” She started to drum her fingers on the desk as she looked in his eyes. “A commoner. Taking Dveria by storm. Tens of thousands of our finest troops stomping across the avenues in their jackboots. And your people can only watch.”

Daszo huffed out a sigh. “You’re not going to get to me today. Look what do you have against my family anyway?”

“The answer is simple. They think they’re up here, and we’re all down there.” She gestured with her hands to further drive home her point. “And I don’t like that. It’s why Venavle was able to reign as he did. It’s why we could never reach our destiny as a nation.”

“What’s our destiny?”

“That’s reserved for future talks, provided I can trust you.” She leaned back in her chair. “But I want you to prove your worth. And here’s what I want you to do: give me access to every single royal family member. I want to know their residencies, all of them, including land rights, retreats, hideaways, everything. Everything. I want documents as well. You know which documents I mean: the ones they produced during the 2010 civil war but were made classified by ‘divine rite’.”

Daszo turned his head questioningly. “Why do you want that? Are you going to kill them off?”

“Rest assured, I will not kill a single family member.”

“You want to blackmail them?”

“All I want is what I ask. You don’t have to give me what I ask for, of course. You can walk away from this table and never see me again. You can go to your estates and continue to have ridicule and feelings of inadequacy heaped on you. Or, you can have a new life. One that serves Vekaiyu to the maximum extent your life will merit.”

Daszo pointed a finger at her. “I still call the terms.”

“You’re not really in a position to call any shots,” Ikrisia reminded. “But if you do this for me, I’ll listen to whatever you have to say. Deal?”

Daszo glared at her. “Deal.”

— Begin quote from ____

FROM THE DESK OF VIL COMMODORE SERI LEKOSTROVI

Premier Levinile,

It is my sad duty to report the untimely death of Vil Commodore Vanse Iskaristre at the hands of Dverian rebels. It seems that a bomb had been placed in his office through an open window. At approximately 21:03, a great explosion eminated from his office. Upon entering, little was left of the Vil Commodore to identify. We have managed to recover part of an arm, and confirmed his identity by a tattoo and an accompanying watch. I apologize if this was difficult to read, but I felt the need to inform you under urgent pretenses.

We have yet to officially announce this information, for we fear the announcement could lead to retalitory efforts by Dverian rebels. We will follow your lead on this. I understand that according to the chain of command I am next in line, but I must await your clearance on this issue as I feel it is definitely an unusual circumstance.

For the honor and glory of Vekaiyu,
Seri

— End quote

Elsewhere

“In the end, we just couldn’t keep you alive, Iskaristre.”

The bomb plot didn’t work exactly as planned. The group concluded that Iskaristre must have sobered up to the point that he noticed the bomb and attempted to deflect it. Or, perhaps, it just happened to be far enough away to maim him and blow his right arm off. Either way, the plan had decompensated quickly. But, all was not lost. The seven plotters had used the confusion and knowledge of the plot to their advantage. Iskaristre was quickly subdued by Sipavu Commodore Viktor Yulesivey, who knocked the Vil Commodore out with the butt of his pistol while the others provided adequate distractions. Solike General Frankyo Ilikovi provided the transportation as four of the members quickly whisked the injured man away and drove to a forest about a half-hour from Nugala. Three were left behind to maintain contact and secure airtight alibis for the four.

Vil Commodore Seri Lekostrovi stepped up to his superior, who was on his knees in front of the deep grave dug for him. “It didn’t have to end this way. Your intolerance was jeopardizing our progress in Dveria. Everyone knew it. The Premier knew it.”

He put a pistol up to Iskaristre’s temple. Iskaristre had lost a considerable amount of blood - the soft night mist that enveloped much of the ground hid the blood pooling around him. His right arm was missing. A tattoo that was on his leg had been sliced off to remove any further identification. To add insult to injury, the officer had been stripped to his undergarments.

“You were an honorable soldier and a commander I feel privileged to have served under. But I could not let all those men die for something in vain. Dveria would have been lost under your command. And as a loyal Vekaiyun I could not allow that to happen.”

Lekostrovi looked away to prevent himself looking at Iskaristre, who was now sniveling. Though, it was difficult to really tell what exactly he was crying about: death, pain, Vekaiyun loyalty, or maybe a combination of the three. It truly was a sad sight. Three months ago he was vying for command of the entire Vekaiyun Armed Forces. Now he was facing his untimely doom.

Either way, Lekostrovi couldn’t take it anymore. “I’m sorry, old friend. May the Almighty have mercy on you.”

He shot him once in the head as the shot went in and out of his head in less than a second, taking both brain and bone with it. The silencer did little to hide the fact that Iskaristre was killed in an instant. His lifeless body fell head first into the clay soil grave with a thud, but his legs remained sprawled on level ground. Lekostrovi looked the other way as he kicked the rest of him toward the hole. Eventually, the rest of his body fell into place.

“We shouldn’t have done this,” Hejul General Tomasu Ilikovi muttered. He paused to allow the crickets fill the silence around them. “He was dangerous to keep alive, but no Vekaiyun deserves to die like this, especially him.”

Lekostrovi grimaced, holding his breath to keep his constitutions about him. He was, after all, the commanding officer now. “He would have been torn to pieces by a Dverian mob or hanged by Levinile.” He paused, searching for the right words to say. “At least the world will know he died with dignity this way. Not… this way, of course. The bomb and dying at his post.”

“I suppose so.”

The four stood around the body for quite some time, unsure of their actions, unsure of what it meant to really be a God-fearing Vekaiyun.

“Say something,” Makswel Yurlavistre finally sputtered. “Give him a decent funeral at least!”

Seri Lekostrovi nodded at the younger general, accepting the demand. “I served under Iskaristre for many years. I was the commodore of the 40th army that withstood the brunt of the Dverian assault during the initial stages of the war. I will see to it that he is… honored as a strong Vekaiyun tactician, one who was instrumental in the war on Dveria. That much is indeed true. The history books will be forgiving to him and his ilk.”

The group of four nodded solemnly.

“May the Almighty keep him and forgive him for his transgressions. May the Almighty forgive us as well.” He sighed, but it didn’t make him feel any better. “Now, come, men. We must return to Nugala on the double. Fill this hole and cover it well. Ensure this location remains incognito. It may not be the best place of rest, but it will do for the time being.”

He picked up a shovel. “And this ordeal never leaves this night. We are all guilty, and must all ensure its secrecy. Now, come on. We’ve got a nation to run.”

— Begin quote from ____

FROM THE DESK OF PREMIER IKRISIA LEVINILE

To: Vil Commodore Seri Lekostrovi

I do not want this reaching the public eye. Inform the necessary channels that Iskaristre has been removed from his post. Have your men conduct a full investigation on the matter, and ensure those responsible are publically hanged for their disruption.

These disruptions and attacks on the Vekaiyun command in Dveria must stop. Secure the city of Nugala and carry on with taking out the remaining resistance. Do not fail me again, Seri. I am one flight away from gutting the entire command and working with Kral Commodore Nevikalu to install more capable persons at these posts. I would like to avoid having the remains of another Vil Commodore shipped back to Vekaiyu, let alone discharging them permanently.

Regards,
Premier Levinile

— End quote

“What are you doing?”

Daszo turned around to see Leina standing in a worn pair of boots and one of her dresses that she typically wore. Clearly the boots were somewhere near the entrance of the basement, where they were currently. They were needed, as the basement was a dirt floor with naked lightbulbs piercing the darkness, their luminating comfort never quite reaching every turn, leaving some spots in eternal darkness. Luckily, the filing cabinets where Daszo stood was well-lit.

“Did you close the door behind you?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, what are you doing down here.”

“I asked first.”

Daszo grimaced, then nodded. “Alright. Look, I think I’m going to Dveria after all.”

“Really? Don’t go - not yet!”

“I’m taking you with me,” Daszo resolved. “Vekaiyu’s not going to be a very… fun place for the royal family anymore.”

“Why do you say that?”

“I don’t know. It’s a feeling. Ikrisia wants to keep tabs on them here. Something about not trusting them anymore I guess.”

“Why would she want to do that?”

“Well, do you trust them?” he asked.

“No. Not really.” She looked up at him. “Is she going to kill them?”

Daszo shook his head. “No. She gave me her word.” He sat down in a metal chair with a huff. “I thought a lot on the drive back from The Levinasi. I don’t trust Ikrisia either. She’s a manipulative little creature that knows how to push buttons. But, she’s done a lot for this nation. She’s had the power to kill off the Vekaiyun royality, but she didn’t. That has to count for something, I guess. Plus I don’t like the rest of the royal family anyway. They only care about themselves. So whatever happens to them, it’s not like it really matters anyway.”

“I don’t know if I want to move to another country.”

Daszo looked at her. “I’m not leaving without you. I don’t trust the Kivlevovs and I don’t trust Ikrisia. And if something happened to you, I’d never forgive myself.”

She shrugged. “Anything is better than here.”

Daszo smirked. “I’ll bet the palace over there has a big pool.”

“There better be,” Leina replied with a smile. “Can I pack?”

“Be ready by noon tomorrow. I’m telling the family we’re going to Kerilo for a few days. Pack whatever will fit in my car - we’re not coming back here.”

Leina nodded, then frowned. “Do you think they’ll be mad?”

“Probably.”

“What if they get real mad, like, send someone after us kind of mad.”

He shrugged again. “Like I said, I’m not really worried about what they do. They only think about themselves.”

Premier’s Residency, Eldura

Ikrisia looked up as her door opened upon accepting the request from the person standing behind it. It was one of her aides. Not far behind her was Daszo Kivelevov, coupled with Leina, whom she remembered years ago when Selvala was arrested in Pittsburgh. She hadn’t seen much of her since then, especially with how the civil war broke out soon after their return to Vekaiyu, but the little she heard seemed to indicate she was doing well.

“Milady, Daszo Kivelevov and Leina Kivelevov, cousins in the Kivelevov royal family.”

“Thank you.” She watched as her aide bowed slightly, then waited for the other two to enter the room. When they did, she closed the door and left the three of them in peace.

“Right, here it is,” Daszo began, laying a large folder on the desk. “All the paperwork, locations, names, residencies, everything you asked for.”

Ikrisia grabbed the folder and started to look through it. As time passed, Leina, then Daszo, pulled up a chair and sat down. “Indeed, it’s all here. Including those dreadful incriminating documents from the two civil wars. I must say, Daszo, I almost doubted you. But now I am thankful I did not.” She smiled. “Good work.”

“So when do we head out for Dveria?” he asked.

She leaned back in her seat. “Do you think I would honestly trust someone who just sold their family out to run one of my territories?”

“We had a deal!”

“Of course we did. And we still do.” She looked down at Leina, then back at him. “But the conditions have changed slightly. You see, Daszo, I have my leader of Dveria. But I don’t have the mind. Not yet.” Her stare turned into a glare. “You are not to step on their throats.”

“What makes you think I’d do that?” He folded his arms over his chest. “And why would you say that, eh? I thought Vekaiyuns hated Dverians.”

Ikrisia rubbed her temples in frustration. “My reasoning is two-fold. If you treat them well, it takes the teeth out from any building resistance. In addition, we Vekaiyuns are better than the Dverians. We do not need to sink to their level of hatred. You allow them to learn their culture. You allow them to speak their language, attend their churches, whatever. Let the resistance die. Then, your image changes. Slowly. Very slowly. But we will speak about that much later.”

“What about that new Vil Commodore?”

“What about him? He will remain in charge of the Vekaiyun military presence in Dveria. He will assist you. Daszo, you must immediately crush resistance. In time, the people must realize that to resist a Vekaiyun occupation is to plunge the country into anarchy, malevolence, despair, and hopelessness. In essence, we are their protectors now. As such, we now have dominion over Dveria. Now, and forever more… provided you do a good job.”

“Yeah sure. So when do we leave?”

“You are taking Leina with you?”

“Where I go, she goes.”

Ikrisia bit her lip in thought. “Very well. However, her life shall be tied to yours. If she dies, you will too.”

Daszo’s expression chilled. “You don’t need to threaten me.”

“I do, because I am the Premier of our nation. It is my job, Daszo.”

“You don’t have to be so cold about it,” Leina warned.

Ikrisia smirked. “I learned to be clear in my requests or orders from the civil war a few years ago. Both of you haven’t really learned that yet. But you will. Don’t mistake my tone - you two are a part of a new Vekaiyu. I will do everything in my power to ensure your safety and transition into leaders. But I can only do so much. It is available to you, but if you don’t work hard enough for it, if you aren’t careful, if you happen to go through a spell of lax, the opportunity will not longer present itself. To this end, I hope the both of you will choose well.”

“Both?”

Ikrisia smiled. “I’ve known Leina for years. There is leadership in her, if she wants it. Now, the two of you will leave for Ye’leli tomorrow.”

“Ye’leli?” Daszo asked.

“I wish to introduce the new Dverian leader to Listonia as well. There we will discuss the rules for our new game. But don’t worry. It is a good game.”

Evesuni Hall, Ye’leli

Ikrisia gazed out at the attendees as they sat evenly about a round wooden table, constructed of jaku wood, with a hollowed-out center. In that center sat a metal cauldron, on fire, with the Vekaiyun yellow-and-black star rising above the flames. Each chair was also constructed from jaku wood, but the high backs of the chairs had their tops disrupted by skillfully-carved crosses, crosses which stretched to the circular walls of the hall from the flames in the center of the room.

“First, let me say it is with great pleasure that I welcome you to this little meeting. While it was scheduled in haste, I am nevertheless thankful that those who could attend were able to make it in time. For those who may not know everyone present, allow me to go around the table and introduce everyone. Starting from my left is the Vekaiyun Minister of the Interior, Vanse Iliskalu. Continuing, we have Stapen Evesuni and Lso Yiskevi of Listonia, who were kind enough to host this little conference. We then have Ankya Isolistroyey of Yishevyu in The South Pacific, followed by Viktor Novilistre of Lykyevyu in The North Pacific. Continuing, we have Yiisu Eslivaa of Iskyevyu in Rushmore, and Salvatoro Elinus of Sishevyu in Atlantian Oceania. Finally, on my right is Daszo Kivelevov and Leina Kivelevov, cousins who will represent Dveria.”

“It feels good to be closer to home,” Viktor Novilistre said with a warm smile, perhaps the warmest he had in a long time, especially after accepting responsibility for the ‘great ice cube’ that was Lykyevyu.

The rest of the crowd exchanged formalities. After all, they were among friends. Weapons checks turned up nothing, and the facilities were guarded by Vekaiyun soldiers on the outside. They were quite safe in their stronghold.

Ikrisia poured a drink with a clove base and alcohol produced from Pax Fruites. “Tonight we settle any differences, tie loose ends, and promote harmony. Friends, tonight we gain a more refined mission. It has been four years since the Vekaiyun Civil War. Likewise, two years since the Listonian confusion, and a mere three months from the successful invasion of Dveria. Ah, Dveria. The main reason we are here today. I wish to present Daszo Kivelevov, the Premier of Dveria.” She smiled. “Go ahead, stand if you wish.” She waited for him to stand. “While he is of the royal family, he has renounced the silver spoon and traded it in for loyalty to the Vekaiyun state. Do familiarize yourself with him, and little Leina, who will be learning rather than leading.”

The congregation applauded. Daszo took his seat.

“What’s going on here?” he whispered to Leina. The applause died down, and all Leina could muster was a confused look and a shrug.

“And if Listonia chooses not to recognize this?” Evesuni added.

“Then a state of war will exist between our two nations,” Ikrisia answered. “We must synergize.”

“I don’t trust the royalty,” Evesuni replied. “Never have. They are selfish opportunistic punks who abandon their own people. I remember what they did.” He pointed a finger at Daszo. “You’re nothing. Nothing.” His eyes locked onto Daszo’s.

Daszo grimaced. “Well, I’m here, aren’t I?”

“Trust me, he has renounced any royal blood in him,” Ikrisia said as Evesuni back down and folded his arms across his chest. “The Vekaiyun military will remain a presence in Dveria.”

“A human is needed to run a human state,” Vanse Iliskalu added. “A vulpine leader… would not last long in their state. Look at Iskaristre.”

“Their words are words,” Evesuni replied. “You gotta earn your trust with me, boy.”

“You will have plenty of time to do that,” Ikrisia added. “For I must segue into my next announcement. For years we have worked as a collection of states, colonies, and semi independent entities. Such nebulous connotations will exist no more. I am hereby proposing a most powerful union. All nations present will form the Vekaiyun Union, a union to streamline collaboration in trade, military, defense, and government. While this union will not mean absorption into the Vekaiyun state, it will bring Vekaiyun and Vekaiyunesque states under one umbrella. It may be a bit premature to vote, especially since we have yet to establish details, but I would like to see a vote for those who are ready to commit to such an endeavor. Let’s go around the table like we did before.”

She listened to ‘aye’ after ‘aye’. All except for one.

“Cadipremier Yiskevi. Your vote intrigues me. Why do you not wish to establish this union? I cannot have the Listonian state divided on the matter.”

“It is not a nay as much as it is I wish to supply a caveat. Listonia needs protection from Sevropia. It was also agreed on at the Kerilo Accords that signatory nations would support an invasion of Elphana. Will this state receive acceptance into this union, or will it be totally absorbed into Listonia?”

“That is something we as a group will need to discuss.”

“Very well. And as for the Dveria situation. It has come to my attention that one of gentlemen in the running for the monarchy of Dveria may still be alive. Provided he is, and he is on board with the Vekaiyun occupation, perhaps in order to lessen ill sentiments we can provide him a… figurehead position?”

“This is again something we will discuss as a group, provided the circumstance presents itself.”

Yiskevi paused. “Very well. Aye.”

“Uh, so what does this mean?” Daszo asked.

“It means we can concentrate on more important things,” Ikrisia said. “Dveria is no longer a threat. It is by the grace of the Almighty that we were able to overcome them. Now that we are free from their tyranny, we can grow. And we should grow. Now that we are united, we can determine exactly where we should grow, and how.” She smiled as she stood, her shadows stretching high into the rafters. “Now, let’s form this union with more concrete meaning.”

After Sunday Morning Mass, Church of St. Iyusho, Ye’leli

Ikrisia and her Minister of the Interior, Vanse Iliskalu, left their private booths after taking communion separately from the bishop. They were quickly joined by Daszo and Leina, who were rather lost in this new nation.

“So that’s it then?” Daszo asked. “We just go over to Dveria and you expect me to keep everyone from killing everyone else?”

Ikrisia smiled. “Yes, of course.”

“You’re trying to kill us,” Daszo replied sternly. “That’s what this is all about, eh?”

“Why would I ever do that?” she asked as Iliskalu closed the door in front of them to ilicit some privacy. “Do you think I like playing games, Daszo? That I like toying with people? What sort of sick individual do you take me as? I have been nothing but honest in all my intentions with you. Lead these people I ask you to lead. Do it. Or don’t and perish.” She stepped up to him. “You see, I am the one who gives you the choices, Daszo, not the other way around. But I will react based on which option you choose.”

“So what am I supposed to do, huh? I don’t have any formal training in this or anything.”

She laughed. “You think formal training is what makes a leader? Pardon the Bishop, but hell no. It’s innate. You either have it or you don’t. And if you would just believe in your own abilities…”

“Then how is it innate?”

Ikrisia was quick to forgive the interruption. “You have a strong moral compass and you speak your mind. You have passion. Passion cannot be taught, Daszo. It must be learned through suffering. And I am confident Dveria will give you all the passion you can handle. But that’s why I need you.”

“Because I’m human?”

“Not quite. You are human, yes. They will relate to you more than they ever could with me or Leina based on that very fact. It is specist, sure, but it is a reality. But you understand that based on your experiences. A vulpine cannot lead Dveria at this time. At this time. They need someone who they can relate to. They need a bridge. A benevolent bridge.”

“Milady,” Vanse Iliskalu said, “I have recieved word from Dveria. They have unearthed a mass grave in Goykag. Mostly vulpine. They believe their may be more.”

Ikrisia nodded.

“Benevolent?” Daszo asked.

“Yes, benevolent. Benevolence is punishing those who were involved and not those were weren’t.”

“Milady?”

“No Vanse. This is Daszo’s call.”

Daszo paused, then shrugged. “I don’t know. Round up the military there and detain them.”

Ikrisia laughed. “I once was as you are now. But you learn quickly that survival is isn’t protection, it’s removal. May I offer some advice, one leader to another?”

“Sure.”

“Execute them all. The military who ordered it, and any who let this injustice go uncontested. Hang some, behead the rest. Do not harm innocents. Hatred will not be tolerated in our new state. We must remove all hatred and let them know such hate between our two states will die… one way or another. Do I make myself clear?”

“Alright.”

“Alright. Just alright? These people would make no destinction with who they kill. Leina could have been among those in a different scenario, yes? You don’t understand, Daszo. But you will. And I will help you.” She paused. “Go to Dveria. My commodores will assist you. I will assist you. Together we will make something of your potential.”

Ikrisia traveled alone on the train ride back to the Vekaiyun capital. She could use the time alone. Time to reflect, time to remember, time to understand and make sense of a quickly-changing world. Most of all, it gave her time to look at the records Daszo provided. As she read through them, she couldn’t help to wonder if Premier position had turned her too cold and unfeeling. The world was full of cynical and uncaring individuals. She had worked to at least understand how to be different, but her past retarded her ability to do so. While some had lifetimes to understand the warmth of a soul, hers only came in faint memories and missed opportunities.

Opportunities. The pages upon pages of private conversations, decrees, deeds soaked up from the common Vekaiyun to make way for their land purchases. Withheld information that might have aided her father in Listonia. Indifference to the Vekaiyun civil war and whose side they would turn to help. Sitting idly by while millions of their countrymen died - more concerned with protecting their summer home instead of attending to the screams of Vekaiyun people fading into the night. They did not care. They simply did not care.

More information followed. Various projects started during the civil war with Max Venavle. How he initially attempted to reach out to them, but was given a cold shoulder. Heh. They wouldn’t know what hit them, really. Page after page of conversation made her realize exactly why he was so vindictive against them. Intel now. Intel on troop movements, on attempts to stave the revolution. Counter attacks, antiquated at best, losing to a beast their own army trained. It was both amusing and heartbreaking to watch the monster they had grown suddenly break its chains and turn on them.

Then came something most damning. It wasn’t much - just a few paragraphs, really, at the end of some long transmission tap. Something about a program to turn children from Listonia and Vekaiyu into super-soldiers. Bits and pieces about various approvals to the program, which was deemed top secret. How Venavle took the reigns to it and set it into motion. And, its location. In The Levenasi. Project Uveshk. The very name sent shivers down her spine and hurled her psyche into a disturbing cacophony of tattered hopes and horrible realities. The very thing responsible for her condition. She could not read any further.

Icy blood began to warm to a rolling boil. “They knew,” she finally said, a broken tone emerging from her voice. “They knew.”

Ikrisia’s residency, Eldura

“I am thankful you were able to make it on such short notice,” she said as she offered a seat to the vulpine male of about the same age, Deacon Vanse Iliosku. “I apologize for it being a bit rushed. But I figured… I figured you would be one of only three people who would truly understand.”

“Well, my schedule is surprisingly flexible, especially when it comes to visits with the Premier of Vekaiyu.” He smiled as he sat down, then adjusted his spectacles.

“Ah, that’s not important,” she said as she returned a smile. “Look, youm Visela, and I are the only ones who went through Uveshk. I’ve obtained documents that show this project was not owned by Venavle alone. It appears the royal family knew about it and initiated it before he took control of it years later.”

Vanse’s face darkened at the news. “I see.”

“And I don’t know what exactly to do with it. Before hearing this, my plan was to more or less rip any remnants of power they have to prevent the dissenting Kivlevovs from being tracked down. Now I don’t know. I initially wanted to kill them. I still might. At least those who approved of this. But then, I would be no better than them. They ruined hundreds of lives and approved of all that experimentation. No person with a soul would have approved of that.”

“What do you plan to do?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t know.” She looked up at him. “But I can’t really talk about this to anyone else, you understand.”

Vanse shifted in his seat. “Unfortunately. But the Almighty is always listening. He understands all.”

“Yes. But they destroyed my family. Destroyed our families. Our lives. Our conditions.”

“Well, do we know how involved they were?” he asked. “Perhaps they approved of a bunch of plans in haste or in apathy.”

“But they knew. Regardless of it all, they knew what they were doing. To me the motive matters not. All that matters is the action.” She looked at him. “I want them to feel what they did to us. I want them to feel remorse for it.”

“And what would that accomplish?”

Ikrisia paused, then sighed. She didn’t quite know what to say. More than that, she couldn’t speak. All she could do was bury her face in her arms as she leaned forward on the table and weep bitterly. “How could they do this?” she finally cried.

“I don’t know if there’s an answer for that,” he confessed. Like Ikrisia, he too had difficulty in understanding emotions. But he couldn’t let it hold him back, not for the position he had. He placed a hand on her arm as she continued to weep. “We’ve not been given the best treatment in life. But any life can be useful. Any life can be strong. Vekaiyu needed a strong leader, especially in this time and age. Would they have that leader had we never gone through all that? Would I be a deacon? Would Visela be inventing and engineering?” He waited for her to respond, but when it was clear she wasn’t, he continued. “These experiences have tortured our souls, and enslaved us to these horrible memories. Sometimes the only way to liberation is accepting them and forgiving all who were involved. As… painful as that is.”

She wiped her eyes with her sleeve. “I don’t know if I can.”

“Try to, Ikrisia. That’s all the advice I can give. Killing them won’t make you feel vindicated. It will only hurt those around them, and give you regrets later on. You know, I heard one of your speeches recently, about the Dverians. You said we must rise above their atrocities and not return hate for their hatred.”

“Then they must never be allowed to rule or make decisions that affect the lives of others. Ever again.”

“I agree their leadership has been poor for… the greater part of 50 years now, yes.”

“And I will think about what you said. I can’t promise anything, but I will honestly give it thought.”

“That’s all I can ask for, really. What exactly do you do to clear your head? I get the impression that you don’t often take breaks.”

She shrugged. “There is little reason to take breaks. This job is rather taxing.”

“Nonsense,” he laughed. “If you’re tired all the time, your performance will suffer.”

“I guess. But I don’t tire easily.” She paused. “I do enjoy the water, though. They even built me a tank with an artificial reef. It’s rather relaxing.”

“I would recommend going there more often, then. Perhaps a vacation would suffice? Perhaps a vacation outside of Vekaiyu, even?”

“I don’t know.”

“Find a place with great diving spots. Spend a week there. Allow minimal contact to… sort of clear your mind.”

Ikrisia bit her lip. “That sounds appealing. But I will be letting us down if I step away for too long.”

“It’s just a week. Plus, the populace will understand. Most would probably be interested to learn what their Premier does to relax and where she goes on Vacation.”

She sighed. “I will talk it over with a few ministers. Perhaps something can be worked out.”