Which map should we use?

Two individuals have made a map for our region. They are to be commended, of course, but going forward we should really consider just one map. Here are the two maps:

1. http://i.imgur.com/FeAHwaj.png
  2. http://i.imgur.com/IbPXSr0.jpg
    Both maps are done quite good, but the Franz-Mekkado map is more updated (done by Southern Yugoslavia). Both maps can be updated, so this in my opinion is a non-issue. I have been assured from both designers that layerable images are available, so we can get blank maps, maps without lat-long lines, etc. But we need just one map.

For roleplayers and casual in-character folks, please select a map going forward. Choose 1 or 2. You may add in a caveat, like for map #2 having colored countries and the likes - that’s fine. But we need to pool RPers here and figure out what we like more.

This isn’t really a vote, but it will be brought into consideration when speaking to our current cartographer, Southern Yugoslavia.

We’ve made a number of calculations based off the Franz-Mekkado map, influencing population, and other factors. So I understand if people want to keep with that map, which is undoubtedly a great creation. And I certainly do not want to force SY to do more work than he is willing to do.

That said, honestly, I prefer the GB map. I think it looks more modern, I think it defines its edges better, and I think it is easier to use for creating national maps. I’d say we go for that, and make recalculations as necessary.

Out of sheer respect for the original designer of the Urth maps, I will vote for the Franz map if not only because it does not rely as heavily as the other on the original work product.

Further, the fidelity and strength of the work is higher. A theme has been committed to.

If we move forward with that map, I will gladly join SY in efforts to edit and update the map.

Why the ones with colors, of course.

There is pro’s and con’s for both maps.

Map #1 is established already, I personally like the colored nations, defines them more IMO.

Map # 2, I do like the hue of the water, lighter than #1’s. I also really liked how GB did the outside border of the map as a whole. As well as how he put in the ‘borders’ around islands and between different island nations and such. I did not like the way the Aequator, the Tropics, and the Arctic Circle lines cut through the map.

Visually I like Map # 1 better overall. Just a couple of things in Map # 2 I liked, just seemed to me that # 2 was off in my eyes looking at it.

Of the two, I would choose the first map.The main reason really is that the nations are more defined and the most updated at the moment. If the nations in the second map were defined with color or darker borders then my choice might move to that one.

I like the sea borders though in the second, one of the things that stands out for me.

I like how the second looks, but the first one is a lot more defined, more up to date, and easier for me to http://i.imgur.com/pmhGFaF.jpg

How is the GB map more closely based off of BGP’s map? Both these maps look about the same to me.

Can we see the GB map with the nations colored by any chance? Because that’s one of the main complaints right now, but it’s one easily remedied.

I’ll ask if he can colorize the nations.