Why stay in The East Pacific, according to a citizen

BEGGINING

I was founded in the East Pacific in the first days of June 2022. Back then I searched for something like “political simulator”, and a website showed up the recommendation to use NationStates. So I decided to join NS to try it out: I don’t regret anything.

Since I was new, I barely knew how NS and the regions worked, so due in part to my ignorance of that, I stayed in the East Pacific. I saw the part of solving issues, raising scores, joining the World Assembly and voting on resolutions. Very good, I said. But over time it became monotonous. And I wanted to see what other gadgets this game had in store.

The memories of when I started are vague. In fact, I didn’t start the game properly until August 2022 (I don’t have time to spare), however, thanks to the files, I can remember those first moments I was in the game, and of course, in the East Pacific. On June 9, I wrote to the RMB for the first time about why my civil rights had been lowered when I banned gambling rights. Ultra rookie question. I didn’t receive a response, mainly, I deduce, because I was asking about something in the game, something not attractive in a RMB accustomed to roleplay.

I wrote to RMB again on July 10 (a month later), about the existence of a TEP wiki. The friend Kavanos told me that they existed on the forums, but not in the RMB. I looked at the forums, and already going somewhere external seemed tedious and uninteresting for the game (I’m writing on the TEP forum now, how ironic). By then I was already getting a little immersed in TEP issues, but not definitively, because I didn’t have time to spare.

At an early stage, I wanted to join TEP politics (seeing all those government positions looked so juicy). I followed the Hussars of the East program to the letter, and became a Hussar (I thought they were going to give me a badge in my game profile, a shame). However, I wanted to get more and more involved in politics. I telegraphed Albrook, the then delegate, telling her how I entered politics after supporting the viziers (yes, seriously, I thought she would respond to me). Then, I got an automated message from Albrook a week after being at TEP. I (obviously) responded by saying that “I always thought my nation would be based in the Pacific.”

EXPERIENCE

From the first days of being at TEP, I can say that I did not feel excluded from the region. Only, of course, I had to dare to come out of my shell to be able to get involved in the region. Now, that’s where my visions of the region diverge. In July 2022 I was admitted to Valsora, the RMB regional map. From there, I began to take my first steps in roleplay, and get to know the internal TEP community.

TEP is “divided” into communities, which at first may be very distant from each other, but whose similarities are easily noticeable. Let’s say that I belong to the RMB community, historically neglectful of government and gameplay issues, and focused almost exclusively on roleplay. Valsora, the quintessential map in the RMB and about which I wrote a treatise a while ago, has been a place where I made many friends and where I was able to make my writing and world-building talents known.

Thus, I was able to meet Merlo, the owner of Aislada, now Delegate; Romanoddle, the good neutral guy who was one of my first allies; Dabir, the liberator of Unistan; Plazland, the cartographer until the end of 2022; Peatiktist, who keeps us informed; Paki, who although he was no longer a mod when I arrived, still inspires fear; Terreich and his great writings; Brex and Terrabis and their Winters novel; Malvekia and his newspaper; Myehn, Panga, Karcovshkie, Yucanoa, Battania, Kroz, Rajyam, Estande, Illiricium, Maneiras, the great Kampf, and others. The RMB was my place of growth as a TEP citizen, because there I met and developed many talents.

I lasted about a year as an “exclusively RMBer”, making factbooks related to Valsora, and occasionally joining occasional late-night conversations with people like La Xinga; the religious fights of Dumas and The Holy Rat; or spending time reading EK’s raw writings. The RMB community was a place where I could feel welcomed, where I could see, so to speak, “equals”, and it was a place where I learned a lot about different cultures.

I believe, without a doubt, that TEP’s RMB would be dead without roleplayers. They are an essential part of the idiosyncrasy of the region. And yes, it may be a bit biased in valuation growing up as part of this community, but, let’s be clear: the RMB is one of the first things that other NS in our region see, and its activity, its seasoning, its identity constructed empirically by a group of roleplayers in 2018 is what shapes the image of TEP, along with many other shapes.

So, in conclusion, my first reason for staying at TEP is its community of roleplayers and the good atmosphere of the RMB, that allows you to develop your abilities and be yourself.

But now let’s talk about the TEP Government community. As an RMBer, who was initially interested in entering regional politics, I saw how political decisions and backrooms came and went, while we went about our business.

I belong to the TEPers who arrived after Fedele’s coup. I have tried to document myself about the coup and its consequences. And I always read that one of the consequences was a “split” between the Government and the RMB community. And frankly, if you’re a newcomer, or not all that involved in how things work, you might think this “division” is reasonable: the government does its thing on the forums, and the roleplay community (excluding Urth, who I value it a lot and I intend to write about them in another article) in the game. It’s that simple.

Well, it’s not “that simple.” My thinking is that everything arises from the distrust that external forums exist in addition to the game. Distrust that exists throughout NS. I think that makes some RMBers uncomfortable or unable to participate in government. Either they do not want to enter a forum for their own safety, or they prefer to be outside of regional politics. But the non-participation of the RMB community allows the Government not to diversify. And then we complain that the Government does not diversify. A paradox.

Still, even though I myself bother entering the forums, I participate in some elections and referendums. I don’t know, since to date 4 delegates have passed, which one I voted for or which one I didn’t. I ultimately did not participate in Merlo’s election, I was involved in other matters. However, my desire to participate in the Government was still latent, and sometimes I returned to the MoFA to see what to do.

I admire that the Government community is always open to anyone who wants to participate in it. Even for foreigners. So, in short, I cannot say that the TEP government is impenetrable. It is a government where anyone with the will can participate.

I have met members of the Government who are very kind, and are willing to have many more join regional politics. That’s another thing I want to highlight about TEP: all opportunities are open. You can always enter and give your suggestions or participate whenever you want. A clear example is the current government we have: Merlovich is a well-known Valsoran, and I never thought that he would reach the position of Delegate. In Condemn Kampf, RMBers came together for the first time to join the World Assembly and vote For, in one of the most exceptional citizen participations I have seen. Little by little, the “curtain” goes away and the TEP communities become harmonized.

This means that TEP is not a region of factions, it is a region where everyone has their talent, creativity and thoughts, and we develop these in our own fields, but when we unite for a common cause, the region smoothly coordinates to it. This is the second reason why I stay at TEP: we are such a diverse community, but at the same time united, being proud of what we have built as a region, and open to whoever wants to build it with us.

I have been a citizen since July 4, 2022 and a member of the staff of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs intermittently between 2022, 2023 and 2024. Since November 2023, I have been a Magister. I have been getting more involved in government affairs, learning little by little, and I am grateful to Serge, who welcomed me to MoFA for the first time, and to Aivintis, a talented writer who belongs to all TEP communities and is interested in We RMBers participate in the government, which I applaud.

I have seen many regions as I have traveled through NS. I don’t know if it’s out of habit, laziness, regional pride, or what, but I have never wanted to leave TEP. It’s a certain “I-don’t-know-what.” But of course, I can’t put “I don’t-know-what” as a reason. Otherwise this article would not be serious, if it still is.

What I am sure of, and what differentiates TEP from the others, is that it doesn’t bother me at all being here. It is a place quiet enough to continue with your life, but not monotonously, like a place active enough, but not suffocating. A place where we don’t worry so much about the latest NSGP (which I’m still trying to understand), and where the return of a friend causes an explosion of messages in the RMB. TEP is the place, according to my perspective, where you always feel comfortable. In that whatever you do, politics, games, RPs, memes, you will always be welcomed or even flattered by someone. You simply have to take the first step.

I appreciate and stay in TEP for this third reason: the balance and comfort of living in a region of wonderful people. It is not regionalist pride. It’s simple experience.

CONCLUSION

Well, I have given three main reasons (of the many that can arise and exist) as to why to stay in TEP. A friendly RMB community, an inclusive government and a comfortable place. That is, according to my perspective as a citizen of the East Pacific since my entry into the game.

Now, you may be wondering: so TEP is perfect? No, TEP is not perfect, there are always imperfections. You will meet other citizens who will have different perspectives of the region to which they belong. Would there be things to improve? In my opinion, strive to connect between communities.

TEP communities are valuable in their own right. But the cooperation between us, keeping each other informed and warding off disinterest, reinforcing the connections we made at special events, connections that I believe we can maintain all the time. For me, what is important is citizen participation and the diversification of the Government, that the TEPers of the RMB and the forums begin to delve into regional affairs. Something that the Ministry of Outreach, led by our beloved Romanoddle, has done and I applaud them for it.

It’s complicated? Not at all, and what’s more, it gives them many benefits: they keep the region safe, they promote policies to maintain the harmony of the communities, they hold events where all residents can participate. Enter organizations such as the Magisterium or the staffs of the Ministries to make your suggestions known. I think that today more than ever, TEPers must be aware of our responsibilities in the region where we have stayed.

I have made fantastic things and connections in the East Pacific. A place I can call home in NationStates (literally, I was born here). If you are in TEP, I would invite you to become more united on regional issues and explore our communities. If you are outside of TEP, you can join. You will not regret it.

5 Likes