Women on NationStates (Poll results)

Women on NationStates
Poll Results

Just a quick note, that with my polls, I generally prefer to let the data (and responses) speak for itself. If there’s anything that’s unclear or worthy of discussion, I certainly welcome that in the comments, but I’m going to try to refrain from editorializing myself here since I think I did plenty of that on Mixlr last night. :slight_smile:

Demographics

We had 24 respondents, 9 (or so) of whom opted to remain anonymous.

[spoiler][ul][li]Almonaster
[li]Ambrella
[li]Ananke
[li]Bootsie
[li]Ever-Wandering Souls
[li]Festavo Montresor-Stark
[li]I’m okay with it.
[li]Kleo/Marselesk
[li]Luthadel
[li]Mousebumples
[li]Reddogkeno101
[li]Sierra Lyricalia
[li]The Church of Satan
[li]The Grim Reaper
[li]Todd[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Other: Reptilian

Other:

[ul][li]Regional
[li]Nuts N’ Bolts nut
[li]Raider
[li]GCR Delegate[/li][/ul]Gender on NationStates

General note before we jump into the short-answer questions. These were all “optional” so some players may not have answered all of them. And some of the answers reference other ones given by a particular repsondent, but I’m not planning to isolate who-said-what here. Particular respondents are welcome to clarify or discuss further in the comments, however.

What would you view as the benefits of having a female player in an active/primary role within a region or group?
[spoiler][ul][li]No benefit from being female alone.
[li]Women tend to provide a different perspective. It may have something to do with age as well, but I find that groups/regions with better male/female balance are more stable. Female players, in my experience, have tended to be more sensitive and inclusive in leadership roles.
[li]I don’t really see the benefits of having one gender of the other. Perhaps a different viewpoint?
[li]“A generally heterodox point of view on discussions regarding real-life events and issues.
A more even-handed discussion of minority and gender roles in the region, such as how identities affect role titles and gendered wording of legislation, that differs from RL standards.”
[li]Moderation
[li]It provides a different viewpoint to some issues that male players may not have considered/know anything of
[li]“I think it’s important for women to serve in leadership positions because diversity at the top (or among the most active members) helps encourage diversity among the wider ranks. This is not true only of gender, but in an online, mostly anonymous situation, gender is the issue that comes up the most often. I have never been asked what race I am, but I have been asked more times than I can count whether I’m male or female.
Additionally, when women are in leadership positions they are better able to ensure a safe environment for others in the group, free of sexual harassment, stalking, and other kinds of unwanted attention. The extent of the prevalence of that kind of behavior is not generally appreciated by male players, in my experience, and when the top leadership contains no women it is much more likely that other female players’ experiences will be belittled and dismissed.”
[li]I suppose it could offer a different perspective. Then again I don’t view anyone as being beneficial by virtue of something as trivial as gender, race, etc.
[li]In general, females are underrepresented. Having women in any roles works against that underrepresentation. Having women in key positions can amplify this reduction in underrepresentation and provide stronger voice for women overall.
[li]In my experience, having females in gameplay leadership roles tends to tone down the aggressiveness of that leadership - or changes the way that aggressiveness is perceived/enacted, so that it comes across as less individualistic/egotistical. (Note: tends.) Females in power also tend to cultivate a wide network of supporters and allies, which can help stabilize a government. I’d attribute that to female leaders deliberately playing into self-effacing - or, alternatively, personally attractive - gender roles; it’s easy enough to take on a male gameplay persona if you choose, so anyone who identifies as female in gameplay is doing so deliberately.
[li]From my experience female players often help groups run more smoothly by making sure things work properly and getting people involved. Whether someone enjoys or let themselves be typecast in role depends on who they are and what interest them. I think it’s beneficial for regions to have a mix of guys and girls active in regional affairs. Would be kinda boring otherwise.
[li]I might be talking out my ass here, so forgive me if so. But it seems likelier that a female player might go further out of her way to make sure everyone gets a say or participates (having been so often sidelined herself just from the way most human civilizations have hitherto operated). Maybe.
[li]The majority of female players I’ve interacted with have been mature, level-headed, fair players, and a valuable asset to the region. Other than that, they’re just another member :slight_smile: It we’re talking % of males in the groups vs % females in the group, women score far higher on “people I feel more trusting with them to keep things calm and orderly.”
[li]Diversity / different opinions and feelings. But that’s not really gender-specific. I just like having a lot of players in a region.
[li]Equality of genders, I guess. Each gender brings something to the table, and it’s good to have both (or however many genders they are).
[li]None
[li]Not much different than males.
[li]Diversity of thoughts, opinions and discussions.
[li]Diversity
[li]It’s good to have a wider range of people. They are interesting to talk to.
[li]A different opinion. Most of the players are male in NS, so usually the female players sometimes bring a viewpoint that we don’t have.
[li]Women tend to be nicer, more lovable and more than professional in my experience.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What would you view as the benfits of having a male player in an active/primary role within a region or group?
[spoiler][ul][li]No benefit from being male alone.
[li]“Sorry, ditto.
I don’t really see the benefits of having one gender of the other. Perhaps a different viewpoint?”
[li]A generally orthodox point of view on discussions regarding real-life events and issues, in regions that may be female-dominated (examples of which I am not aware of).
[li]There are more of them to go around.
[li]It provides a different viewpoint to some issues that female players may not have considered/know anything of
[li]“While I am in favor of a generally diverse elite, I cannot name any specific benefits to having men among the leadership.
I also cannot name any group, excluding those specifically geared toward women, which has no male leaders, even though I could probably name dozens which have no women.”
[li]I suppose it could offer a different perspective. Then again I don’t view anyone as being beneficial by virtue of something as trivial as gender, race, etc.
[li]None particularly. We must remove the gender inequity and reveal the candidate for their skills and merits alone.
[li]Male players can sometimes act more unilaterally and decisively without being perceived as overreaching or trampling on the rights of others.
[li]Having male players in primary roles tend to be the status quo in NS, so I’m not sure it’s really possible to say what the benefits would be, since we’re so used to that being the case. It tends to be us girls, who stand out when we’re active.
[li]Other regions/groups might be less likely to be hostile toward the group in question, but that’s negated if the alternative female leader is a Thatcher or a Joan of Arc.
[li]I don’t see any particular benefit of having a male player. The majority of members of every region I’ve been in have been male, and truly run the spectrum of behavior.
[li]See female answer
[li]Equality of genders, I guess. Each gender brings something to the table, and it’s good to have both (or however many genders they are).
[li]None
[li]Not that much different than females.
[li]I would not be swayed by a specific gender.
[li]Diversity
[li]Good to talk to and interact with.
[li]Bros.
[li]Men generally goof off more, crack more jokes and spend more time on NS.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What would you view as the downsides of having a female player in an active/primary role within a region or group?
[spoiler][ul][li]No downside from being female alone.
[li]No downsides besides the one creepy stalkers might bring.
[li]Depends on the female. In general: none.
[li]It might become a them vs everyone situation
[li]“For that particular woman, a leadership position can make her a bigger target of certain types of creep. And, while sometimes she is then better placed to put a stop to harassment by invoking a forum ban or widespread shunning, in some situations she ends up more vulnerable. Specifically, when leaders are expected to be strong, powerful, fearless, or other such adjectives, a woman who is targeted with harassment can find that her own reputation is harmed if she speaks up - that others expect her to suck it up and deal.
But I cannot think of any negatives for the broader group.”
[li]I don’t really see a downside for something such as gender. Everyone, man or woman, is good or bad in their own way.
[li]None particularly. See above comment.
[li]Female leaders are more likely to be criticized for perceived weakness than males, and may not be taken seriously. Men will be called incompetent instead for the same behavior.
[li]“I don’t think there’s any general downsides. It depends on the people involved imo. Sometimes you hear complaints about flirting between male and female players leading to trouble, but it’s a bit weird to only blame that on the female part. Especially since from my experience the guys tend to be the ones initiating flirting most of the time.
One downside might be that some players have a tendency to think that a female player is easier to manipulate than a guy. I’ve only experienced that a handful of times though.”
[li]None inherent; depends on the individual.
[li]Going back to my previous comment… nearly every woman I’ve interacted with on NS has fallen into one of two categories - The first being as mentioned, extremely mature and level headed, fair, reasonable, etc, and larger. The second is where the bad rep can come from - there have been female players I’ve interacted with who’ve done nothing but cause drama, start and break virtual relationships every other week, maintain very attention-seeking behavior, and use their gender as a tool for advancement, perhaps even a weapon. It’s also worth noting that, to no fault of the woman of course, having a woman in the group can bring out very undesirable behavior in some male members that were otherwise tolerable. They’re the ones who need to be dealt with then, obviously, but such issues have caused me to lose good region members and updaters that I was disappointing to find could not handle themselves around someone without a dick.
Potentially targeted by some unscrupulous or overzealous players looking to score some weird kind of NS dating service thing.
[li]Um… none?
[li]None (+3 more identical responses)
[li]I don’t really see any downsides.
[li]Sometimes they are confusing and misleading
[li]Attraction of creeps and the possibility of more drama.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What would you view as the downsides of having a male in an active/primary role within a region or group?
[spoiler][ul][li]No downside from being male alone.
[li]For some reason I get the feeling that NS is overwhelmingly male already, so no downsides.
[li]“Depends on the male. In general: none.
What can be problematic is all-male or male-dominated groups. They can get rather over-competitive and/or snarky.”
[li]It might become a them vs everyone situation
[li]I don’t think there are any downsides to having men in leadership. However, I do think there are problems with leadership consisting solely of men - the trivialization of harassment and stalking at best, and at worst the encouragement of an environment where those occur.
[li]I don’t really see a downside for something such as gender. Everyone, man or woman, is good or bad in their own way.
[li]It is an overly familiar experience.
[li]Consensus-building from a male can be viewed as a sign of weakness… although that can apply to female leadership as well.
[li]As above, I don’t think you can really generalize much due to gender. People’s specific personality tend to matter more when it comes to what mistakes they make when they’re in a position of influence somewhere.
[li]None inherent; depends on the individual.
[li]"There are far more, and a feel a far higher % of, young and/or immature male players on NS. 8th grade boys do not usually interact well around women on even ground, in my experience. There’s a lot of unnecessary vulgarity, even when it’s not intentionally hostile. Furthermore, there are older players, otherwise competent GP’ers, whose behavior around women is absolutely unacceptable. That said, male leaders is somewhat of the status quo, and in most cases, not an issue.
To conclude my notes, besides stereotypes, I’d honestly say in my NS experience, gender for me may be worth a fraction of a first impression, but soon enough means nothing compared to how they behave as a person. The internet as a method of communication helps with that - there are players who’s gender I don;t know and don;t need to know, players like, say Isabella Hime/Vandoosa that I knew for over a year before learning that they were not in fact female players, and male players that pose as female ones. You can’t really take gender at face value to begin with, any more than you can a screen name. I judge people far more based on their interactions, which can then perhaps be applied to a confirmed gender to create a stereotype, but one that again offers little help even in an early interaction. People are people no matter what they have down there, and people are either decent and trustworthy or not - and I value those facets infinitely higher than what shape your private bits are in. "
[li]Unknown
[li]Um… none?
[li]None (+2 more identical responses)
[li]Bullish behaviour.
[li]I don’t see any downsides.
[li]Men are idiots.
[li]Not as approachable. [/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What female player(s) have you looked up to and respected during your time on NationStates? Why?

Note: I’ll be bolding the individual names to make them stand out more.

[spoiler][ul][li]Naivetry, Asta, Harmoneia are the three I can think of off of the top of my head. All three were/are amazing NS players, far more storied than I will ever be.
[li]Mousebumples is definitely one of the kindest and most mature people involved with the game today. She’s easy to work with, a great confidant, and a hard worker. She’s certainly a credit to all female players, but really to players in general. Additionally, other female players like Rach, Earth22, Aisli, Moomoosharoo, etc have had varying influence on me throughout my career.
[li]None, but also I’ve only been on this site for a few months
[li]“Astarial, as a generally dominant voice in the regions I have been part of during my time in NS. A capable delegate in multiple regions at different times, and one who took a leading role in major legislative action in most of them, as well as a capable Gameplayer.
Reploid Productions, as a senior female moderator in a number of the forums I have been closest linked to.
Jenrak, as a senior female moderator in the number of the forums I have been closest linked to, and a particularly capable RPer who made great contributions to the organization of the NS RP community at large. She was a crucial member of the main RP IRC channels, and in the major RP region Azhukali.
Nanatsu no Tsuki, as a long-standing NSGeneralite who at varying times helped to foster a sense of self-moderation that became the norm for location threads, through active involvement in supporting those communities and acting as a rolemodel for younger members. The standards set then carried over through the location thread ban to particular sections of the NSG community, particularly the current Eternal Thread.”
[li]“Jamberry, Checkers MdDog, ParanoidM, Pope Hope, Yuppanqui, Esselldee (RIP), Improving Wordiness, ParrrrTay, Lorelei County, Matilda Love, …
For a variety of reasons, generally as varied as the women themselves.”
[li]None, haven’t really met any in highup positions yet
[li]“Ananke: For kicking ass, for finding a way to be in both 10KI and TNP despite general prohibitions against that, for stepping up as a TNP admin during a horrible time and never giving up despite the really awful shit she was subjected to, for being all around awesome.
Naivetry: For her strong ethical convictions, for her kind-but-firm leadership of Equilism and TRR during troubled times, for her work ethic and willingness to step up and help out, for her consistent thoughtfulness and generosity, for her protectiveness and loyalty toward her friends and home region.”
[li]“Harmeonia would be one such player. Although that’s due to her seniority in Lazarus rather than her gender.
Tierra de Madre over in Renegade Islands too, for the same reason as Harm, except in RIA.
And Myroria for the same reason in Taijitu.”
[li]“Astarial, Naivetry, Crazy Girl, Mousebumples, Hamajahala, Xoriet
I appreciate their effort toward building and participating in their community.”
[li]“In no particular order:
Nevadar - led Gatesville for many years with style and savvy
Minineenee - developed a personal network with enough skilled/important players to pull off interesting coups
Ananke - built a leadership role in XKI by serving with friendly enthusiasm and defending with integrity, civility, and kindness”
[li]“Quite a lot. Pope Hope, Crazygirl, Magicality, Erastide, Great Bights Mum, Improving Wordiness, LadyRebels, Drwych, Peoples of Yavanna, MinnaCaroline, Bistmath, Astarial, Unfree People, Minineenee, Xoriet, Monte Ozarka, Naivety, Annorlunda, Rachel, Caras Way, Bamaba, Lyanna Stark,
And I’m sure there’s plenty I’m forgetting right now.”
[li]“Ardchoille(ans) - unabashed (and unapologetically competent) old-school lefty
Eirann Fae - argues her points ably and also unapologetically
haven’t interacted enough with Mouse to form reasonable opinion
probably some others who didn’t disclose their gender for unfortunate but all too common and understandable reasons”
[li]"My interactions with you, mouse, have always been pleasant :stuck_out_tongue:
I consider Xor (Xoriet, also Ayvari in TBH these days) one of my closest acquaintances and confidants on NS.
Tram isn’t around much, but she’s an old Hawk I respect.
I respect Kemi/whatever she goes by these days. I don;t always agree with her personal choices, but she’s been through a lot of shit, and come out pretty well.
Only interacted a little with Shadow, but she’s definitely a good infiltrator :stuck_out_tongue:
Minineenee is related to me somehow now thanks to my sneak adoption by Xor, and we’ve chatted as well :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve talked a wee bit with Nathi, and she was always a mod I viewed as hardworking. Firm, but rightfully so, and doing a lot of public cleanup. Her removal still disappoints me. "
[li]Mouse, Xor, Shell of Catlandatopia, Ananake. I respect them as players and don’t really focus on gender.
[li]“Mousebumples (Europeia) - Friendly, helpful, and hardworking.
MagentaFairy (Albion) - Friendly, active, and engaged.
Kuramia (Europeia) - A new Minister/CA Chair that got more work done than I ever could, and was very easy to work with.”
[li]Mostly Xoriet. I can’t say i know a lot of girl NSers, and she’s the most badass among the few i know.
[li]“Kemi/Tyegea, Mouse”
[li]Darkesia. As a member of TWP, founding during her time as Delegate I feel she embodied TWP culture: Smart, funny, honest, fair, snarky, and doesn’t except poor behavior. She has always been welcoming and fun to chat with.
[li]Netz and Mouse. They told me how Europeia operated.
[li]Being fairly new, I haven’t really been too involved with any females on here, although a bit more recently I have become more friendly with more people, some of whom are female.
[li]SillyString, because she is the bombdiggity. Mousebumbles, because she is an enigma. Xoriet, because she is hilarious.
[li]I respect more, but mainly Xoriet.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Please elaborate on your response to the previous question.
[spoiler][ul][li]It is important to ensuring everyone feels welcome and that they have a chance.
[li]If the region/group is respectful of everyone regardless of gender, gender neutral language shouldn’t really matter at all.
[li]I mean if my Military Leader says “Men, listen up!” I won’t get mad or anything, but I mean, if there are females and they constantly refer to things using male pronouns I guess that’s a bit annoying
[li]In legislation I prefer the use of gender-neutral language, as well as in official correspondance and WFEs. However I don’t mind permanent or single-member positions having gendered titles, assuming that the title is of the holder’s gender.
[li]I think the attitude is more important than the language. I do try, because I know some find it offensive, but I’m not very PC in general.
[li]When referring directly to someone you should use terms such as ‘he’ and ‘she’ correctly, but in the general sense I don’t think it really matters
[li]“There are a few issues with using gendered pronouns.
First of all, the use of male-as-default in legal documents and the like perpetuates a standard assumption of a man as a basic unit of personhood and a woman as some sort of deviation. It is exclusionary and belittling - and it’s incorrect, to boot.
Second of all, some peoples’ (mostly men) insistence on knowing someone’s gender so that they can refer to them with a certain pronoun winds up making others (mostly women) highly uncomfortable. There are very good reasons why women might not want to announce their gender to the world (see: aforementioned harassment, stalking, sexualization, etc.), and pressuring them to tell you, especially over and over and over again, betrays a complete lack of sensitivity to what women face and their right to be left alone about it.
Thirdly, when people default to simply using the male pronoun to refer to anyone they encounter, you end up with situations like this:
Jerk Newb: ““Wow our delegate is so mean. We should overthrow him!””
Well-intentioned RMB regular: Actually, I love LadyDelegate! She’s great!”"
Jerk Newb: ““WHAAAAT LADYDELEGATE IS A GIRL??? NO WAY!!! WOW A GIRL ON THE INTERNET HOW WEIRD! A/S/L WNA CYBER???””
Obviously this is exaggerated for humor, but the general encounter is the same - and let me tell you, it is so frustrating to constantly see utter incredulity that women and girls exist online - it’s actually even MORE frustrating when it’s feigned incredulity. You’re not original, you’re not cute, you’re not funny. You’re trite, boring, and rude. Shut up.
Anyway, a gracious default of ““they”” solves all of these issues. No more excluding! No more creepy pressure! No more gross ““fake”” sexism! And best of all, no more backward ungrammaticality!"
[li]My memory isn’t very good so I can’t really be bothered to try and remember everyone’s gender. With so many people to keep track of I’d rather just make an assumption and if I’m wrong, oh well, my bad.
[li]“There are more than two genders.
The historical default to maleness is offensive.”
[li]“I’m not bothered in game or IRL by the use of masculine pronouns as a default/universal; probably from growing up on early 20th c. British literature. I understand that it bothers other people, however, and generally accept the need for gender neutral language as a sign of inclusivity and equality. I think culturally we are at the point where NOT using gender neutral language implies the speaker’s hostility towards their idea of what feminism is about.
I do, however, prefer to use specific gender pronouns to refer to people when the gender of a player/persona is known. I interpret ““they,”” when used to refer to an individual, as an expression of ignorance about that person’s gender.”
[li]It’s not something I usually notice unless it’s sexist or something. However I’ve noticed that to me regions which doesn’t have female players active in the running of the region seem less friendly overall. It’s as if they forget that the other half of the player base is female and they might want to make an effort to engage and acknowledge us.
[li]I don’t get offended by use of the masculine singular pronoun to denote a generalized person or a hypothetical example; but too much of it may drive female players away, which makes shit less fun.
[li]If I understand what you’re asking correctly, you’re reffering to things such as referring to unknown folks as “he,” reffering to troops as “men,” etc. If I’m getting that right… it’s accepted as commonplace. Now, if someone corrects a gender or something, it will be respected, or else. There’s no toleration for deliberate misgendering or otherwise being an asshat, but that falls more under the general rules against asshattery. We don’t enforce political correctness as a rule, or forced neutrality, and have held many a partially heated debate on current events :stuck_out_tongue: Long story short - calling the newb “He” until otherwise informed is fine, and both less insulting than “it” and far more grammatically proper than “they,” but calling a “she” “he” will not fly.
[li]Men are men, women are women. Each have differences. It shouldn’t really be a big deal.
[li]Inclusion.
[li]If we’re making a new document or something like a law, then we should strive to use gender neutral language, but we don’t need to go back and change everything for this.
[li]Depends on the region. If regions or groups say “when the male candidate is elected president” - that’s a problem. If regions or groups default to using “he/his” but are otherwise welcome or inclusive of women, I think that’s okay as there’s not really any gender neutral pronouns (unless you want to defer to its or them/theirs, which sound odd) in the English language.
[li]I act the same in a chat whether there are females in it or not. I don’t see the reason to make all of this such a big deal. It’s confusing to me why so many people are actually making this a big deal, actually.
[li]Well it depends on your region. In a big region, it is sometimes okay if you ask their gender first, but not to judge them on that. That is the big trade off. To reveal your gender may come at a cost. So there is no real right way to do it, because gender neutral language is perhaps required more than thought
[li]To avoid sexism.
[li]I’m not too fussed, either way.
[li]If a person is identified as a male or female, you should use their gender, but if not, “they” is good.
[li]Sorry, I don’t do that at all.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
Impact of Gender on NationStates

Please elaborate on your response to the previous question.
[spoiler][ul][li]Gender does not come into play very often when we simply cannot see the other posters.
[li]I have heard of it and seen it occasionally, but I know it’s widespread outside of my own community.
[li]Never seen any. But again, only been here for a few months.
[li]“I have become less active generally in recent times, so many of the regions I still stay in touch with have or have had major female and male players, as they were regions I tended to have social ties to. As I didn’t really have social ties to regions that didn’t have gender-tolerant communities, I don’t bystand or experience much discrimination anymore.
In the past I have been second-hand notified of sexual discrimination and harassment, but rarely have seen it myself. Much of what I am made aware of is either by people in multiple communities, or was done through private channels between the said person and harassers.”
[li]“I’ve heard tell, but I haven’t been around many actual instances. We dealt with one incident in Canada, but it was pretty mild.”
[li]I’ve seen posts that imply it’s happened before, but not been here long enough probably to have seen any myself
[li]“This kind of depends on how you define ““discrimination””, so bear with me.
In most well-established gameplay regions, there are some female players and they sometimes get elected/appointed to things. I have rarely seen any election campaign or any appointment go down the route of questioning whether someone is competent because of their gender. Not that it doesn’t happen, since it certainly does (I was once pestered about joining a region ““because it needs the female touch””), but that kind of overt shit is incredibly rare.
What’s a bit more common is… I’m not sure how to term it. Sexualization of politics? Basically, you’ll sometimes see female players flirt heavily with influential male players, seeking favoritism for advancement, or male players will flirt with female ones with an implied subtext of ““if you don’t flirt back, I won’t vote for/appoint you””. And while this does happen sometimes, it’s also a charge that has been leveled at every single female player who has reached a position of authority. We’ve ALL been told we slept with someone to get there… that we have no merit of our own except giving good sex.”
[li]Can’t really say I’ve seen it myself. I’ve definitely heard about it over the years, you know, mainly about people like Govindia.
[li]Asm much as anywhere else I guess, which is to say, culturally pervasive.
[li]“I’ve not been around for the more recent claims of harassment from certain players, but I have witnessed some horrific insensitivity from male players on the topic of rape.
I don’t know of anyone who’s been excluded from leadership in a region because of their gender. Far from it. I know certain players who have adopted female personas because they found it easier to avoid suspicion or hostility that way, and easier to form a sort of cult of personality based around their perceived identity as the rare and thus somehow automatically attractive/desirable female. Of course, that in itself is a form of discrimination.
I have, however, experienced a dismissive attitude from a few male players (not all, by any means) towards female players on the military side of things. The assumption was that the female was less accomplished, knowledgeable, or to be taken seriously about what she was saying. This was more often the case when it was a question of who should be giving orders, and whose orders should be respected if there was a conflict of interests.”
[li]I’ve been fortunate that it hasn’t happened very often to me, but I tend to somewhat quiet by nature. I remember Pope Hope having to deal with a lot of sexist crap because she was female and influential. I’m sure other female players has experienced the same thing.
[li]“I pay attention almost exclusively to the GA forum, so while I’m sure there’s a proportional amount of sexual harrassment commensurate with NS’s population size and the general rate of it in ““modern”” society, I’ve personally been exposed to very little of it.
I mean, I am broadly aware that there exist allegations against one particular prominent player regarding offsite forums, but I don’t know any details. I’d be surprised if there were no other examples, but I don’t actually know what or who they are or have any information about them.”
[li]More than I’d like. It goes several ways - overly coddling female players either due to ulterior motives, some feeling of obligation, or fear of appearing discriminantive, looking down on them as “inciting trouble,” looking on male players as somehow more normal, or looking at them as potential issues with female players.
[li]I put “two” here because I have seen it on both fronts, but moreso with creepy guy players trying to score internet points with females. Some have taken it to an extreme level. It’s quite disturbing, some of those cases.
[li]I see it, but not commonly, and when it is seen it is usually immediately adressed.
[li]I’ve only heard of it, not really seen it.
[li]It’s not common but it does happen, and sometimes it happens because people are afraid to call attention to themselves by saying, “This isn’t cool, and we shouldn’t be okay with this.” There are a lot of young players on NationStates - not that that’s an excuse by any means - but some of them thing, “Haha, this is so funny,” until they have someone that stops them and makes it clear that, no, we don’t do that here. I’m trying to be more active in standing up when I see that sort of thing, but I obviously can’t be everywhere, so I’d urge everyone to take on a more active role in that way.
[li]I see a lot of sexist jokes, and i even participate in the making of said jokes. But they’re just that, jokes. Not serious statements meant to get a message across. [li]I can’t say i recall any time i’ve witnessed sexual or gender discrimination. If i ever did, it was probably so petty and irrelevant that i forgot it.
[li]I have seen one person in particular suffer, but many more suffer, and as a male, it makes me feel shame. It is something that needs to change.
[li]I have never witnessed it. However I have heard about it from female players.
[li]Everyone is friendly.
[li]I haven’t seen any discrimination against genders, at all. It is likely that discrimination takes place more in private, and not where I see it. Also, I see females being treated well, and being successful across different regions.
[li]I’ve never seen it, but men are men, so…
[li]I cannot remember the last time I saw discrimination.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

(Part 2, due to NSWF image and post length limits)

Please elaborate on your response to the previous question with whatever amount of detail you feel comfortable sharing.
[spoiler][ul][li]When I was a young (male) player I experienced some harassment from another male player that was confusing/inappropriate since I was only 16 at the time.
[li]Everyone I’ve met has been as cordial as anyone could be.
[li]“Sometimes the girls gang up on us. :(”
[li]I have been harassed several times, and stalked once (that I know of!). Each of these times, the perpetrator was male. I would rather not share specific details on an anonymous poll, but I am willing to discuss them openly.
[li]Maybe it’s just because I hang around a lot of generally chill people in NS, but nobody has ever acted hostile against me because of my gender.
[li]“On NS alone:
Sometimes, if speaking on behalf of women, I have been mistaken for one and been treated dismissively. "
[li]Let me be clear, first of all - I deliberately played into stereotypes about my gender because I found it an easy way to get things done. In diplomacy, people expected me to have a soft touch, be super-friendly, whatever, and that made it easier to smooth over ruffled feathers than it might otherwise have been. But it was also, on occasion, a liability - where I wasn’t taken seriously, when a male player thought they could walk all over me without repercussion, or when my actions were pre-empted by male (or female!) players who thought I wasn’t being forceful enough. On one occasion I was able to manipulate that for shock value, playing nice long enough to expose the arrogance and presumption of some other players, before making it clear that none of what they were doing was actually acceptable. But the assumption up until that point by some of my male colleagues that I was being “too” nice (implication: weak and aimless, rather than tactical and deliberate) was annoying.
[li]“Guys who keep trying to flirt and can’t take a no. Someone who kept following me around ingame and being a sexist jerk, until he got deleted by the moderators.
Sometimes you get guys who interpret ordinary friendliness as something more.”
[li]“I should probably take the lack of harrassment I’ve received as an indication that my RP’d GA ambassador isn’t a particularly convincing or realistic woman. That or my OOC statements give me away; or everyone has a long memory of my previous (male) ambassador. Or maybe I just haven’t been around enough (~1,000 posts, at least 98% in GA).
Alternative hypothesis: the GA forum simply has less harrassment, whether due to its more arcane nature, smaller population, or some other factor. Probably less likely: I may be under the thumb of, as Neal Stephenson wrote: “”…sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.””
Insufficient data."
[li]I despise being lumped in as a gender with the same folks I despise myself. As in, “Guys suck, and are nasty harassers. But not you, you’re okay.” Why is it a negative rule you create a positive exception to, rather than the other way (“most guys are fine, but a few are terrible people”) ? It’s feeds a deeper habit of making the more visual exception a rule and ignoring the silent majority of normal folks (i.e. all the male players that never made gender an issue. cracks out Psych 101 It’s a simple Availability Heuristic. The more memorable incidents come to mind first, and create the bias.
[li]I did in my region once, but said individual has since left the game.
[li]Nothing’s happened to me on that front that I know of.
[li]Women are in minority in NationStates, so sometimes it feels like we’re a unicorn. We’re unique in that way, and sometimes by the very nature of being a woman, we inadvertently draw attention to us. I don’t think any of the “objectification” or “harassment” that I’ve seen over the years (directed at me) was malicious, but that doesn’t make it any more okay.
[li]I don’t ever really feel objectified to any noticeable extent. But i would assume all of us get shaped by our gender, both by the chemical differences that it brings and by the society and how it acts. So it would be incorrect to answer with a total no. We all fall to a kind of “peer pressure” subconsciously, to a certain degree. But that doesn’t have to have any major effect on our personality or behavior.
[li]Nobody I know is sexist.
[li]I haven’t seen any gender objectification or harassment, nor have I felt that I have been, although I’m male, in a game played by a male majority. I know I’ll definitely never do anything like that, and do my best to ensure that while I’m around, everyone will be treated fairly.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What is the best thing you’ve seen regions or groups do to be welcoming and inclusive of female players?
[spoiler][ul][li]Not treating them any differently and giving them the same opportunities.
[li]Nothing special so far
[li]I’ve been fortunate (or selective) in mostly playing in regions where there were a number of active female players. I’ve always felt those tend to have a better atmosphere all round.
[li]Treat them like any other player
[li]Have clear and defined harassment policies, and the willingness to enforce them - even if this means removing someone who has done a lot for the region/group or is in a high position. Additionally, take all complaints seriously and address them quickly. Don’t try to excuse horrible behavior with “they didn’t know better” or “they didn’t mean it”.
[li]Well, I guess it’s just assumed. It’s considered the norm in the regions I’ve come to. None of them, at least during my time in NS, have ever had a problem with being inclusive and welcoming of female players. I mean there is the occasional spammer but the mods usually delete them.
[li]Having females in visible and important leadership roles, honestly. My first experience was with a region where one of the most active ministers as well as the army commander were both female. If you can’t find female players who are interested in or capable of leading in your region, your regional culture may just be hostile or unwelcoming. There are enough awesome women in NS that not having a female in your region who is capable of and interested in leading is a bad sign.
[li]“It has a lot to do with atmosphere I think. Regions with nice people tend to be welcoming by default and not tolerate sexist crap. It’s always nice when some of the older players go out of their way to mentor new ones and give them a chance to show their skills, whether they be female or male. I suppose it can be a bit more intimidating to get involved if you’re a new female player in a somewhat male dominated region (and let’s be honest, they pretty much all are, even if they’ve got some female players in higher up positions), in which case it’s nice if someone takes an interest in you and helps you get involved.
For me personally, it meant a lot that I found some good friends in NS (both female and male) after I got involved in gameplay, who were willing to stand up for me the few times I was targeted personally.”
[li]I don’t participate enough in regions or groups to answer this.
[li]Treat them no differently than any other player. Laying out special rules or a special welcome just reinforces the idea that they’re somehow different than any other person, and ultimately feeds the tendency to place them as a whole higher or lower than oneself.
[li]Easy. Pretend they don’t know their gender.
[li]Just not making a big deal about it
[li]Don’t make a big deal out of it. Female players just want to be a part of the crowd like everyone else. They don’t want to be greeted, with, “Wow, a girl! Welcome!” That makes them feel like they’re under the spotlight or on a pedestal before they even do anything.
[li]I do not give it much attention. I don’t think most communities really care what gender you are. There might be the occasional surprise from a certain person, since this is obviously the type of game which attracts men more than women. But i have not really seen this made as a big deal.
[li]Pass gender-equality laws.
[li]I haven’t really seen any special attempts to go out and be welcoming to women, just women being treated properly.
[li]Not give either gender special treatment.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What else would you like to see regions or groups do to be welcome and inclusive of female players?
[spoiler][ul][li]I don’t think much needs to be done if people aren’t asshats. Give the women the same chances the men get.
[li]I have no idea. Honestly, I just feel like females come and go where they please, so I guess just don’t be harassing or anything
[li]Try and treat everyone equally. There are many possible out-groups, I would see women as being one of the largest and thus most capable of standing up for themselves. It is important to welcome everyone.
[li]Pass
[li]Cultivate a better understanding of what women face, what we experience, how badly and how often. It’s easy to be dismissive of the idea of harassment until you are slapped in the face with the fact that all women have been harassed, multiple times. That all female NSers who have made their gender public have been harassed, probably multiple times. That there is a culture of silence around harassment that often prevents women from speaking up, but that that doesn’t mean harassment isn’t happening. That, in fact, harassment is more likely to occur when nobody can talk about it.
[li]Hate-shaming I guess? You know, kinda like fat-shaming except for the d-bags that act negatively towards women.
[li]1) Stop with the tasteless jokes about sex, because almost all of them have to do with the objectification, subservience, or inferiority of women.
2) Don’t criticize people’s appearance, overly pressure people to post photos, or salivate over photos of attractive women; it’s probably going to make other women feel self-conscious. A healthy appreciation is fine, but enthusiasm that makes someone feel like a piece of meat is not. (If not for the woman in question, then quite possibly for other women in the audience.)
3) Don’t let anyone contradict a woman who feels that someone has crossed a line into sexual harassment with her. A female player who feels that she is being harassed needs to have those feelings respected; no one else should get to decide whether or not her feelings are justified. This is not to say that a region needs to immediately eject anyone that a female player feels uncomfortable around, but leaders do need to take steps to make sure that the specific behavior she has complained about stops immediately, and that there are clear, serious, well-publicized, and immediate repercussions for a repeat offense.
4) Don’t assume new players are male. Ask if you’d like to use the correctly gendered pronoun. (Not a big deal, but it’s a sign of awareness and respect that can save a female player the hassle of correcting you.) And last but not least,
5) Accept different leadership styles as equally valid by prioritizing results over methods."
[li]Not sure. Maybe just be more attentive to them being in the game. There tend to be less women active in gameplay and regional communities, so it’d be nice if we could make an extra effort to get them involved when they show up.
[li]Enforce some basic decency policies. Also, step up and fight stupid shit. Like, if some in an RMB or skype chat starts going on about how women belong in the kitchen or whatever, shut them the hell down - because if only the player being directly affected or being made feel unwelcome says something, that can just feed it.
[li]Easy. Pretend they don’t know their gender.
[li]I think as long as we treat them with respect, then we’re fine.
[li]I point you to my previous answer :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]They do very well already.
[li]Make a special effort to get them here.
[li]Nothing really[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What’s the worst thing you’ve seen regions or groups do in an attempt to be welcoming and inclusive of female players?
[spoiler][ul][li]I’ve seen some communities be overly weird toward women in an effort to be friendly, which can lead to an odd culture where women do better in elections or get more opportunities only because of their gender.
[li]Nothing?
[li]Hang on the coat-tails of the only woman around.
[li]Pass
[li]“Fixate.
That is, sometimes people/regions will fixate on one particular perpetrator, how terrible they are, how awful, all the ways they hate them, and all the things they’ve done to keep that person off of their forum and out of their region… while ignoring the other ones whose harassment is less well known, quieter, more subtle. Banning one person for harassment is good! But… it’s not enough. There are bad eggs everywhere, and we can never rest on our laurels with the idea that with the ones we know about vanquished we’re now totally safe.”
[li]Male players championing women’s rights so loudly that no women get to speak up for themselves. >_> This includes male players shutting down other males for “insensitive” language or behavior, without consulting any of the women present to see if they’re actually offended. Sometimes women are just as happy to play into gender stereotypes as men are. Honestly, the less attention drawn to it, the better. Gender equality ought to be assumed so automatically that it goes without saying; the more deliberately men draw attention to their policies on gender equality, the less I tend to believe them.
[li]Can’t really say anything springs to mind.
[li]Lay out special rule or policies to make them different (i.e. No swearing with women in that chat). Make it a blanket policy or don’t. All you’re doing is furthering a gap there.
[li]Probably the Red Buddha Brigade. Extremist defender sect that attempted to bring extremist feminism in NS for a short period of time.
[li]Again, my last answer :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]Idk.
[li]Nothing
[li]I don’t know?[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
What are your thoughts on NS families and how they may or may not relate to the objectification of females on NationStates?
[spoiler][ul][li]I know one thing I was guilty of long ago was taking the marriage stuff a bit too seriously. At the time I thought it was funny to be persistent, but it was probably weird in reality. I’m sure this happens a lot, especially with younger male players trying to fit in.
[li]“I don’t think they do?
Men are married off just as often as women in this”
[li]“I am a member of an NS family, and believe that they can contribute to the objectification of females on NationStates. My own was initially, and still is, primarily led by two or three particular females, and my general disengagement from GP means that if there was objectification of females in my family particularly, I would not be aware of it.
I haven’t seen such objectification in other GP families, but I have generally not run in the same circles in them. I have seen such objectification in a particular family grouping which no longer exists, predicated on polygamous marriages to a particular NSer outside GP (and unrelated to the GP family trend).
The lower number of women to men in NS seems to lend a more practical nuance to the unfounded idea that female NSers should participate in NS families, as a responsibility to help involve more male NSers in what has, at times, been a fairly dominant community activity in particular regions (i.e. the Anumias in their various regions, although I’m using them merely as an example for a hypothetical I’ve seen in the prior-mentioned family that was not them).”
[li]One of the more stupid customs around here. I have no time for them for reasons unrelated to genderism.
[li]They sound cool. Objectification is a problem with the people doing it, not the people victimised by it
[li]“I am generally not a big fan of NS families. Aside from the weird political consequences, like people voting for someone from their ““family”” rather than on qualifications, I find that in general they lead to very weird behavior toward women.
Most often, this manifests as bizarre marriage proposals toward the first ““available”” female player you see - in one case, someone proposed to me (to which I said ““no thanks””) and then almost immediately proposed to another woman! Clearly neither of us were anything but <insert boobs here>.”
[li]I think they tend to help female players (male as well) feel more comfortable while frequenting NS.
[li]There is an oestrogen deficit in the game. Females will either be commodified or else drive the new economy.
[li]No real comment, here. My experience with NS families has been extremely limited, and in fact fairly gender neutral. (We had plenty of same sex “parental” pairings in our regional family tree.)
[li]It’s never been my thing, so I can’t really say how it relates to objectification.
[li]If “NS family” means anything besides an IRL family who each have a nation and enjoy the game with each other in that fashion as an actual family, I have no idea what that is. Frankly it sounds a little creepy.
[li]I avoided NS families until just recently (month or so ago now?) when I was adopted by Xor into the Montressor-Stark Family. My experience there has always been good so far, and it’s definitely an equally inclusive community. More fuss is put up against younger members :stuck_out_tongue: Also, most of my acquaintances don;t give a crap about trying to find a woman to force a traditional relationship - hell, aren’t Koth and Aurum gay NS married? It’s meant to be fun, another group of people to hang out with, not to force anyone into a role, ideally.
[li]I think NS families are ridiculous. I’ve never really been a part of one, so I can’t really comment on the above question. My assumption is, like any close-knit group, they can turn rather badly on a dime.
[li]Hm, this is a good point. I know a lot of people “pretend” to be women just to get into an NS family, and I could see how that could lead to objectification by the fake woman. Also, some people feel like they need to “get” a female to start a NS family, and some people can get weird about it, probably.
[li]One of the reasons I’ve refused to get involved with NS families is an experience I had early on in my days in Gameplay - so 2011ish. NS families were not a thing my previous regions had participated in at all, so that was new to me. A male player that I didn’t know at all asked me to marry him. I was confused as all hell and declined. He kept pushing, and I didn’t even know him, so it’s not like there was an actual “connection” or “reason” that he’d want to marry me - except for the fact that I was a female player that wasn’t already married. I know that not all people that engage with NS families act in such a way, but it just made me uncomfortable and I just failed to see the point. Never really drawn my interest since then either.
[li]I like the concept of NS families, but i have not seen them in use as i would like them to be. To me, NS families are supposed to be a congregation of people working for a certain political goal. Aiding each other with their different resources and similar. I also don’t see how this can objectify women in the least.
[li]I was unaware that some thoughts that NS families relate to it, but I could understand how this could be the case.
[li]I want to be an Anumia.
[li]I don’t really know a lot about NS families.
[li]Families are fun. Dont read into it so deeply.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Please elaborate on your responses to the previous 2 questions.
[spoiler][ul][li]As I mentioned previously, in some cases women are more likely to get elected solely because they are women in communities dominated by men. The community may be overcompensating for something they consider a deficiency in their dynamic.
[li]Again, I’ve only seen like, one girl playing this game. They’re a rarity
[li]People tend to view women as being unusual in elections, which can either lead to them being scrutinized more heavily, or being considered to stand out from the crowd in a positive manner. I think overall the two even out, but my sense is that said bias is clear in whichever direction, in particular regions. I also believe the bias is more prevalent with newer members to particular regions, regardless of which way it falls.
[li]“Again, I’ve mostly played in mixed regions, and have seen no obvious gender bias.”
[li]“I gave answer 3 for the last question, but it’s not really accurate - I think the effect gender has on elections is complicated. Some people will vote for a woman who flirts with them for it and refuse to vote for one who doesn’t, while others might refuse to ever vote for a woman for weird sexist reasons.
Most people, I think, judge more on competence than gender (but please, let’s not get into how gender and stereotypes can affect perceptions of competence!).”
[li]In my experience, 90% of the time elections in NS are popularity contests, with senior members of a region more likely to be elected. The other 10% of the time new people are elected by virtue of being new, so they can get some experience and potentially offer a fresh perspective.
[li]Gender bias and male privilege are present in the society. It’s almost unthinkable that this isn’t occurring.
[li]As I stated before, female players seem to be perceived as less threatening. Therefore, they’re more likely to be elected in regions that are concerned with potential coups (i.e., feeders and other GCRs). The impact of gender on elections in UCRs probably varies by region.
[li]I think it depends on the situation. If you’re an active female player I think it might be easier to stand out for the herd though.
[li]Female players who’ve gotten far enough to be under serious consideration for leadership positions are likely statistically more ambitious and/or competent than the population at large given the political subject matter of the game, so we might see a higher rate of female leadership on NS than in, say, the United States. But most of the voters are male, and probably as much threatened by female competence as admiring of it.
[li]This is notable enough to have been used as a tactic before (see: Liz Lemon). Generally, people making a point about being a girl is a clue to it being used in such a fashion. Looking less maliciously - at times, GCR leadership (especially when Xor was still in the seat) has a far higher rate of female delegacy than the ratio of female population on NS. Though not necessarily intentional, I feel it’s a fairly acceptable fact that, while being male isn’t a disadvantage per say in leadership, being female can be one in getting there. Of course, you have to deal with a lot more shit once you get there in many cases…
[li]It’s been my experience that if the female player is personable and makes no bones about being female, they’ll find it easier to gain votes. That’s not because they’re actively seeking these votes, nor is it because their campaigns lack substance (they don’t), and it is certainly not because they wouldn’t be capable otherwise. But we’re playing a game where the largest active demographic is teenagers, and I’d posit to say, male teenagers. It is what it is.
[li]I just don’t see that playing a factor.
[li]I fully believe that in some regions or groups, women are either elected because of their novelty or aren’t given a fair shake because of their gender. However, I think most groups and regions in NS don’t operate like that overall.
[li]I don’t in a dreamworld where everyone is gender-blind. And there are obvious desperate souls, or easily swayed people, who would vote for someone based on their gender. But looking at the vast majority, i don’t think it plays a significant role.
[li]Depending on your region, it goes to either extremes, but more often than not, it’s males.
[li]It is based of beliefs and experience.
[li]I feel like there is a little bias towards males, although it isn’t too great, with there being females elected to high positions in big regions.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Other:

[ul][li]Confused about what the question is asking, so I won’t answer
[li]No idea[/li][/ul]Regarding the previous question, why or why not?
[spoiler][ul][li]Personality is not based on gender in the slightest.
[li]I would say so. Women and men are just different. That doesn’t make one gender better or worse, but they tend to have different gifts and talents. Women can be more nurturing which may be more appealing to newcomers. Men tend to gravitate toward the military aspect in some cases, or can generally be more direct/harsh/whatever… sometimes for good and sometimes for bad.
[li]I think on average there are personality differences between male and female players - female players are often more concilliatory as average community members, as far as I can see. But generally speaking, female and male players who actually stand for election do seem to be similarly balanced in that sense - there are more male outliers, because of population numbers, but a lot of them are culled by election processes.
[li]“I’m not sure that I’d say it was personality, but I’ve noticed that the campaign style for women is often more focussed on people, whereas men tend to concentrate more on issues.
I offer no opinion on which is the more successful style.”
[li]Personality difference doesn’t depend on gender
[li]Men seem to have a larger breadth of traits that they can hold while still being elected - they can range from kind and respectful to rude and condescending. In contrast, I can’t think of any woman in a leadership position of a region who I would describe as at all cold. Women are socialized to be nice and friendly, to listen to other people and speak gently with our own thoughts, and those few who don’t conform to those norms sink, rather than rise to the top.
[li]Regardless of gender, everyone (myself included) have moments where we’re a little more of a jerk than we intend to be and when it happens it does play a factor in one’s likelihood of being elected.
[li]I think female players who are politically minded take advantage of male expectations and/or attraction to them to leverage their way into power.
[li]I think female players might get typecast as a ‘nurturer’ more often. Personally I didn’t mind that though, since I found that I enjoyed having contact with newbies and helping make sure that the regional community worked well. Didn’t hurt either that it gave a me a leg up in delegate elections. :wink: Personally I tend to go for consensus rather than conflict, but I’ve known plenty of female players in NS who didn’t mind putting their foot down and fight fire with fire.
[li]There might be such. But I’m not competent to make generalizations about it (if I were, I’d probably be trying to run for real world office myself!)
[li]Again, it’s knowingly feeding my own stereotype, but the majority of women I’ve interacted with have been levelheaded and capable players, whereas I feel there’s less of a distinct idea of such on the opposite side. If we were able to quantify that as correct, one could supposed that due to the shit female players get on here all too much, anyone who survives long enough to run for leadership is going to be a mature, confident, and capable person to begin with :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]Haven’t really seen many of them - there’s a whole gambit of personality types for men and women in NS. In general, if you’re capable and inclusive, you have a chance of being elected.
[li]I don’t really have a response here.
[li]It’s not that either is more or less “electable” but more that a given gender is more predisposed to particular personality traits that may make them appear to be a better option, depending on what a particular region is looking for at a given time.
[li]In respectable regions with proper communities, i don’t think serious candidates would act against their interest of being elected. Hence, i don’t see a difference.
[li]Gender doesn’t matter.
[li]In general, I think males and females have little differences to affect elections.
[li]Women are cheerier and more approachable.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Please elaborate on the above question.
[spoiler][ul][li]I charm based on my stunning personality
[li]If anything I tend to play the “elect me despite my ugly mug” approach.
[li]I tend to be a flirty person in real life, and I will grant that I have flirted with people on NS - however, when I have done so, it has always been in the context of friendship and friendly banter. I have never attempted to use my gender for in-game gain, like winning an election, influencing a treaty discussion, convincing someone to help on a military operation, or things like that.
[li]Don’t get me wrong, women say I’m cute all the time, but I prefer to appeal to players and groups with my skills. If I were elected/appointed for any reason other than my skill, I just wouldn’t feel I deserve it.
[li]not that I can think of
[li]“I tend not to draw attention to my gender, but when I do, it’s either 1) to play up my harmlessness/innocence, or 2) because I’m irritated by the assumption that my knowledge or skill means that I’m male.
In other words, I’ve never tried to win more power by virtue of being female. But I have tried to deflect negative attention that way.”
[li]Depends on your definition of charms. I’ve definitely used friendliness and approachability as tools to gain ingame contacts and get closer to my region/groups’ objective, but that’s basic diplomacy. :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]My gender and appearance have little in the way of charm, no matter what kind things my wife says :slight_smile:
[li]Only my close friends offsite know what I look like. My gender is nothing special, it’s one of about a 50-50 split for the majority of humans. When charm comes into play (sleep ops, changing WA votes, whatever), I use my words and my wit, not my biology.
[li]I’m not even human.
[li]Not seriously, no. Only in jest, perhaps.
[li]Not intentionally. Sometimes I’ll pull out “looks adorable” when I’m trying to persuade someone to my point of view, but I don’t know that I’d consider that to be “using my charms” based on my gender or appearance.
[li]I was not aware i had magical charms :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]I don’t really care to.
[li]I have never tried to use my gender to my advantage, not that I think I could.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
NationStates the Game

Regarding the previous question, why or why not?
[spoiler][ul][li]No within NationStates we rarely know the gender of other players. I do not often seek to find out such information, and I do not think other users do either.
[li]Women are often treated poorly by scummy male players, and I wish we could shine some light on that and get it to stop.
[li]Well, consider my no a maybe? I just don’t see many girls at all…
[li]I see more men. There may be females who portray themselves as male, which I know is statistically common on other sites, but generally speaking I’ve seen more males who portray as female, for various reasons - the ones who have made themselves known to me have all been understandable, and for personal reasons rather than politically motivated or malicious ones.
[li]“I took this to mean in the visible attitude of the site and staff. Obviously there are sexist individuals everywhere, but as far as I’ve seen there is a pretty strong policy against harrassment (on any basis), and any reported problems have been appropriately dealt with.”
[li]The game itself doesn’t seem tilted one way or the other - issues tend to balance genders and omit pronouns where possible, flavor text isn’t geared toward men or women, rules exist to protect against harassment, etc.
[li]Bias? To my knowledge, no. I do know that women get it pretty bad on the internet, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen any indication of bias. Just a minority of people that tend to be a jerk, probably just because they’re hiding behind a screen.
[li]I assume you mean the issues and so forth - the game design - rather than the communities that’ve sprung up around it. I’ve never been troubled by anything in the game.
[li]Nationstates as a game is so basic, that it’s hard for there to be a bias. You can probably find gender bias in various kinds of the game when players get involved though.
[li]Possibly. The technical structure of the game is geared largely toward traditionally MANLY pursuits, like BEING THE DECIDER on issues and ACTIVELY MAKING RULES in the GA. Most of the community-building and egalitarian pursuits are conducted by necessity via off-site forums.
[li]As in coded into the game? Nah. I mean, you’re a nation. Nations don’t have gender. Issues refer to you as “leader” or by name. If we’re talking staff too, perhaps, in that I’d expect the m/f ration on staff to exceed that of the general populace, but that’s of likely minimal affect. You’re mods before you’re even a person before you’re a gender in most any official interaction, yes?
[li]I think NS does a good job of taking the personal business away from players. They can succeed as men or women.
[li]NS is pretty good about not showing/having this bias.
[li]Some players may have a gender bias, but I think the game itself overall does not have that issue.
[li]Generally i don’t feel there is one, because i’ve not been shown any evidence to support it. But as i said before, there are desperate souls out there. Thankfully, such people are the very small minority.
[li]The actual game has no issue, the issue lies in the community and who joins the game. A lot of teenagers make up the base of the community, hence a lot of horny boys and girls looking for trouble. But there are some people who are rejected because they are ‘too nice’, and hence turn to harassment to achieve their goals, and on the internet, they feel safe because it’s not face to face.
[li]NS is very fair.
[li]I don’t see anything to make me think there is.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Any final comments on women or gender in NationStates?
[spoiler][ul][li]Gender plays almost no role in the success of a user within NationStates. If you are active and productive, you will move forward.
[li]More girls would be interesting
[li]No
[li]“There are many forms of discrimination. I suspect the Muslim community are facing some real hatred at present.
IMHO we should be tackling all forms of discrimination as a combined issue, rather than focusing on the largest of the minorities.”
[li]To male players: If a woman is telling you something about her life, be it something she saw or something that was done to her, shut up, listen, and believe her. [li]That’s the first and biggest step toward combating harassment.
[li]We’re all people. Why divide ourselves over something as small as gender?
[li]I feel that people who are told I’m female tend to be more impressed by my achievements than when they assumed I was male. Not sure whether that’s just my imagination or not.
[li]Just that it always make me happy to see female players getting into positions of influence around NS.
[li]“Shit’s always more fun when it’s not just one kind of people participating. I hope we can fix our various problems in that regard.
Apologies for any ignorance I’ve displayed or advanced in this survey or elsewhere.”
[li]Looking forward to your lecture, Mouse! This took longer than I expected, but glad to fill it out. Hope you still see me as a decent person afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]“Feederites rule!!
In all seriousness, I think both men and women do a good job of playing this game. In my experience, I’ve seen success on both sides of the coin - if you’re personable and inclusive, along with a little bit trustworthy and active, you can succeed in this game regardless of your gender. If anyone does gain from their gender, from what I’ve seen, it’s through no fault of their own and instead is caused by high school romans drama stuff.”
[li]I know women were discussed, but I’d like to see something similar to this for transgender NS players. They have a whole other set of struggles that would be enlightening to hear about.
[li]It doesn’t matter! :stuck_out_tongue:
[li]I am horrified by the treatment of women in NS. It needs to end, and the source is in the community itself. We need to start a movement against this behaviour. [li]Not letting people off because they are valuable members of the community.
[li]Nope.
[li]The more, the merrier.[/li][/ul][/spoiler]

Thanks to everyone that participated by taking this poll, being on Mixlr with me last night, or who joined in the Mixlr chat conversation last night.

I hope you all enjoyed this journey and exploration as much as I have.